What's new

SonicFox Wins MKX at Kumite 2016

Man I honestly die a little inside wathing fox play like this. Sprinting from full screen on wake up, jumping on hit, straight up pressing buttons when its clearly not his turn or scar is just waiting there blocking with a nade at his feet and fox STILL has to press shit. Seemed like Scar played perfectly, he had every type of anti air and conversion on point, perfect nade space control and management, so many successful baits, but the game is just made to support foxes random style, especially with cassie with her safe 50-50s, invincible vortex starter, and safe armored launcher that is also the fastest reversal in the game, huge corner damage... then of course theres the tanya anti hype switch in case you thought it couldnt get lamer. dumb.

Whens this balance patch dropping already?

I agree with a lot of this. The game caters to insanity. But you can't deny the kids skill. No matter what he finds a way which is what winners do.

But what makes me really sick is that people are hype for demolitions 50% combos, able to activate bomb while in hit or block stun and the standing reset. This is what scrubs want. This is what stream monsters want. Unfortunately NRS gave the scrubs what they want.

... But it's a business.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I agree with a lot of this. The game caters to insanity. But you can't deny the kids skill. No matter what he finds a way which is what winners do.

But what makes me really sick is that people are hype for demolitions 50% combos, able to activate bomb while in hit or block stun and the standing reset. This is what scrubs want. This is what stream monsters want. Unfortunately NRS gave the scrubs what they want.

... But it's a business.
Thats true but when the absurdity is also incredibly simple with really nothing going on beneath the surface it gets me. Demo Sonya has to constantly manage her nades and when she doesnt have any her combos are non existant and 50-50s are unsafe so Scar has to constantly think about whats worth it, damage now or damage later. With Cassie the thought process is "alright I just landed this invincible restand, should I go overhead or low?" Thats it. If the absurdity is a result of extensive character knowledge and decent execution Im fine with it because thats MKX but if the absurdity is a result of straight up guessing with no consequences I see a difference in it. It was the same shit with batgirl, Im just never going to be impressed by a coinflip scenario when theres no way to lose the coinflip. Seeing shit like Cassie get out of a guarunteed chip scenario that every other character would have had to hold because her 50-50 set up is invincible is just dumb (not that I agree with guarunteed chip but thats a universal mechanic that Cassie ignores). So a scenario where Scar should have had the round win turns into a guessing scenario and the Scar loses just for guessing wrong, its just painful to watch sometimes

Last edited:
Thats true but when the absurdity is also incredibly simple with really nothing going on beneath the surface it gets me. Demo Sonya has to constantly manage her nades and when she doesnt have any her combos are non existant and 50-50s are unsafe so Scar has to constantly think about whats worth it, damage now or damage later. With Cassie the thought process is "alright I just landed this invincible restand, should I go overhead or low?" Thats it. If the absurdity is a result of extensive character knowledge and decent execution Im fine with it because thats MKX but if the absurdity is a result of straight up guessing with no consequences I see a difference in it. It was the same shit with batgirl, Im just never going to be impressed by a coinflip scenario when theres no way to lose the coinflip. Seeing shit like Cassie get out of a guarunteed chip scenario that every other character would have had to hold because her 50-50 set up is invincible is just dumb (not that I agree with guarunteed chip but thats a universal mechanic that Cassie ignores). So a scenario where Scar should have had the round win turns into a guessing scenario and the Scar loses just for guessing wrong, its just painful to watch sometimes
Did u know u can detonate grenades when u are in hit or block stun? That's pretty insane.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Did u know u can detonate grenades when u are in hit or block stun? That's pretty insane.
Oh yeah the grenade trades into full combo were dumb. I think all moves like that need to go from this game (Tremors overhead rock, dvorah swarm, Takeda kunai) I think they can stay on block but on hit that shit needs to dissapear like Predator smart discs do

Skedar70

Noob
People complaining about Tanya but look the other way With 40+ percent one bar combo because it's Sonya? Or because it's someone new using it? Who cares. Scar played really well, SonicFox is still The GOAT. Also, Hayatei is AMAZING.
It was 50+ percent NO BAR COMBO. I hope they don't nerf this. I have always played this variation and the tech to do these combos was recently found. If they nerf this wrong they might destroy this variation.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Man I honestly die a little inside wathing fox play like this. Sprinting from full screen on wake up, jumping on hit, straight up pressing buttons when its clearly not his turn or scar is just waiting there blocking with a nade at his feet and fox STILL has to press shit. Seemed like Scar played perfectly, he had every type of anti air and conversion on point, perfect nade space control and management, so many successful baits, but the game is just made to support foxes random style, especially with cassie with her safe 50-50s, invincible vortex starter, and safe armored launcher that is also the fastest reversal in the game, huge corner damage... then of course theres the tanya anti hype switch in case you thought it couldnt get lamer. dumb.

Whens this balance patch dropping already?
Just a few months ago you were preaching that there's no way Raiden and Erron aren't top 10, and sure enough, they were slowly ruined by one "quality of life" nerf too many, to the point even when their worst variations were finally buffed, it didn't do anything for them in the scheme of things.

Besides what went down in grand finals, we also saw Shaolin Kung Jin, A-List Johnny, Ruthless F/T, Ronin AND Shirai Ryu Takeda earlier in top 8, variations who were deemed too honest to make any ends meet in this game at the same time that Raiden and Erron were supposedly untouchable?

Also, Demolition's double grenade wakeup, why was Sonya taking no damage when Scar used it as Sonic was oki-ing? Hmmm? Don't act like Sonya is victimized by any of this "grenade management boiz!" either, her low string is easily hit-confirmable and is armed to the teeth with safe reload setups.

So yeah, bet you'd be tooting a different tune if it was Sonic playing Sonya. Stop trying to be some character/balance police officer on this site, you're fucking awful at it.

Mahjunia

Noob
Ppl are butthurt, dude like other guys play Predator, Lao, Quan... so should ppl be bitching about it? Chars are there to play them, if someone doesn't want to play Tanya well their mistake should we say? REO played tanya in the esl season 1 finals, problem with that? did he got to the finals because of playing tanya? could anyone else get to the finals by playing tanya?

Scar Hayatei and Raptor stole the show. SOMEONE needs to sponsor these guys and fly em out to every major. It's a fucking crime, that Raptor's been MIA since his coming out party at combo breaker. Mad props to SonicFox for once again showing that taking rounds/games off him is practically a mistake. All it does is make him better. Dude, somehow, is only getting better.

p.s. Please stop complaining about the Tanya character switch. This wasn't a fucking bitch-made let me pick Aquaman vs Catwoman HARD COUNTER. He switched from one good character to another. I really don't see what the problem is there.
Is Scar not sponsored by Ultra Arcade? I do agree they all need to be seen at more majors though. Hayatei's Takeda, and Scar's Sonya were a refreshing change.

As for Tanya. Tanya doesn't make you a winner. It doesn't guarantee you first place. Ask MIT and Dragon. She's good, no doubt. But sonic has won more tournaments with more characters than most have won with one. The kid is just damn good and picks the best for any given matchup. His reads are insane. People think he's all YOLO, but I think he reads his opponent and goes for that super unsafe stuff. That last match I think it was where scar had a full stick of butter, you could see sonic get real safe and respect that x-Ray.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Besides, Scar was constantly dropping guarunteed damage for nade set ups since sonya cant combo without them at all, aint even broke
He did drop a lot of dmg for reloads which was a mistake most of the time, besides his drops and some strange/bad decisions. However, the last thing you said is wrong. Sonya becomes infinitely more dangerous once she has either 1, or no grenades

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Super hype tournament and top 8. A top 8 where SonicFox won actually being hype is s crazy. Scar's Sonya is absolutely ridiculous, very impressive. Hayatei's Ronin Takeda was hella entertaining and surprising. I knew Ronin was going to do well once the right players picked it up. I didn't think Hayatei would do as well as he did though.

This just has me pumped for the future. GGPO netcode, KP2, and before any of that tournaments are still surprising and hype!!!

Wetdoba

All too easy...
He did drop a lot of dmg for reloads which was a mistake most of the time, besides his drops and some strange/bad decisions. However, the last thing you said is wrong. Sonya becomes infinitely more dangerous once she has either 1, or no grenades
What makes her more dangerous?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Just a few months ago you were preaching that there's no way Raiden and Erron aren't top 10, and sure enough, they were slowly ruined by one "quality of life" nerf too many, to the point even when their worst variations were finally buffed, it didn't do anything for them in the scheme of things.

Besides what went down in grand finals, we also saw Shaolin Kung Jin, A-List Johnny, Ruthless F/T, Ronin AND Shirai Ryu Takeda earlier in top 8, variations who were deemed too honest to make any ends meet in this game at the same time that Raiden and Erron were supposedly untouchable?

Also, Demolition's double grenade wakeup, why was Sonya taking no damage when Scar used it as Sonic was oki-ing? Hmmm? Don't act like Sonya is victimized by any of this "grenade management boiz!" either, her low string is easily hit-confirmable and is armed to the teeth with safe reload setups.

So yeah, bet you'd be tooting a different tune if it was Sonic playing Sonya. Stop trying to be some character/balance police officer on this site, you're fucking awful at it.
A few months ago = a few balance patches ago when characters were vastly different. The last time I said Raiden was top 10 would have been when F1 was mid which he absolutely was. Now I say Raiden is solid high mid tier and doesnt need buffs (except MoS recovery). Erron I dont even remember that last time I mentioned him so I dont know what youre talking about, he was definitely top 10 early on though. I called Erron the best grappler but thats it.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
He's referring to ex-reload (It drops 1 grenade for every one Sonya doesn't have)

As for more danagerous though, definitely not. EX-Reload is some compensation for Sonya being so weak without nades, but it's life-support, not god mode.
Tony you are a hell of a nay-sayer lol. I cant tell if youre downplaying or you really think demo is weak without grenades (you could not be more wrong)