What's new

SonicFox Wins MKX at Kumite 2016

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
In every game, there are those rare events that are so fantastic, so enjoyable and irresistable to watch, that the storylines practically write themselves. Those tournaments that people will continue to buzz about for months; the ones that will be talked about long after the game's tournament life has ended.

Those who were fortunate enough to be watching Kumite this year, have witnessed yet another watershed event, and one of the most memorable tournaments we've seen so far. All the ingredients of a top-notch competition were here: the unexpected bracket busters; the heroic comebacks and inexplicable last-second lapses; the rise of a new group of characters, and the fiery consummation of long-awaited rivalries.

From the first set of pools to the last, the action was fast and frenetic and seldom let up. We witnessed Raptor sending DJT to an extremely early trip to losers, as the St. Louis Shirai Ryu cut a blazing path through several notable players on his way to Top 8. We saw a highly impressive run from Biohazard, who has garnered a rapidly growing group of Ferra Torr believers within the last couple of weeks.

We've also witnessed Scar's growth into his comfort zone in this newest MK, making a statement in ESL which he punctuated tonight with a very convincing performance against the game's top player in Grand Finals. And the eclectic Hayatei descended from Canada, overwheming many an opponent with his rapid-fire Ronin mixups and varied attack.

Along the way, numerous well-known US favorites, alongside some of Europe's best, succumbed in pools or Top 32 to the spirited uprising of this weekend's unlikely heroes.

Congratulations to everyone who participated this weekend and made Kumite so fascinating to watch; also to Sonic Fox, who has added another trophy to an impressive and hitherto unmatched wall of victories in Mortal Kombat X. And thank you to Vandy, who through his dedication and warmth has brought forth one of the flagship majors for these games.

With as many new questions as there were answers (and a fresh crop of DLC on the horizon), MK fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming months. Who's next? We'll find out soon.. Stay tuned :D

TOP 8
1) cR. Sonic Fox
2) UA | Scar
3) Hayatei
4) cR. WoundCowboy
5) cR. Biohazard
5) YOMI | Slayer
7) STL Khaotic Raptor
7) uB Killer Xinok

TOP 32 BRACKET
http://kumiteintn.challonge.com/KIT16_MKX_Top32

Attachments

Last edited:
gratz to everyone... pity my boy Madzin didn't place. I was really hoping to see him come through.. but the entire thing was hype. The only bad side was PandaxGaming charging money for the past broadcasts but NYCfurby had our backs the whole way even though the bad internet problems. so a BIG thanks to the event organisers for a great show and furby for his stream and booo to panda.

Sonic your a star and showed once again why you are the world best. Scar and Hayatei blew my mind as well and that GF was hype beyond imagining.

MKx dose not being the hype? What game are you watching!!

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Congrats to Fox, but Scar's run was immensely entertaining to watch. I hope he does well next week during ESL finals.

Shoutouts to Hayatei, Raptor, and Biohazard too. They made the top 8 a very memorable one for MKX and proved that there's still plenty of hype left for the game.

Congrats to Sonicfox, although I was rooting for scar he manage to stop his freittrain of momentum. Most players would Crack in situations like that.

Also, major props to the top 8 placers. Scars demo Sonya was legit, and Hayatei was playing so well also.

Lokheit

Noob
Scar vs Hayatei was the really good one with all those grenades and lightsabers flying around, props to both of them, it was really amazing how well they executed, specially when they had to manage aditional resources while checking each other positions all the time.

Congrats to Sonic for winning this, but I maintain that the Tanya switch killed how magical that top8 was and felt like the wrong ending for multiple reasons. He won, what he did wasn't against the rules and was clever and he deserved it, but it didn't feel like the right way (specially with someone with such a big reputation) for what that top8 meant and was a big uneeded dose of reality slap.

MCPeePants

Bout it
So hype. Congrats to the real deal... Sonicfox, Scar, Hayatei, Cowboy, all the rest.

Only got to see the last 2 hours or so because of shit work schedule, but ya'll provide entertainment out the ass.

Tennessee stand uppppppp

Props to Hayatei, Cowboy, Scar and KillerXinok. The tie round between Scar and Killer was hype. Also does anybody have footage of KillerXinok against Jupiter and Honeybee

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
NRS has definitely made the best spectator fighting game ever.

It was a great tournament to watch, congrats to everyone who went and played, made my fingers itchy to play more.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Man I honestly die a little inside wathing fox play like this. Sprinting from full screen on wake up, jumping on hit, straight up pressing buttons when its clearly not his turn or scar is just waiting there blocking with a nade at his feet and fox STILL has to press shit. Seemed like Scar played perfectly, he had every type of anti air and conversion on point, perfect nade space control and management, so many successful baits, but the game is just made to support foxes random style, especially with cassie with her safe 50-50s, invincible vortex starter, and safe armored launcher that is also the fastest reversal in the game, huge corner damage... then of course theres the tanya anti hype switch in case you thought it couldnt get lamer. dumb.

Whens this balance patch dropping already?

Last edited: