What's new

Discussion ... so who are the Top 5 after all the patching?

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
IDK if it's worth doing ex egg summon anyway after things like 112 because it's faster it will stop the opp wake up with a normal? I haven't really tested ex setups.
oh no i mean ex egg after f134. i think that renders backdash useless. also i dont think u can jump out of 112 egg consistently the timing is super tricky. You can, but u can catch them with f4 and it will catch them in the air. If i was playing against it i would rather block.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
B12 is not easy to hitconfirm. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not play the character.
i can confirm this because i played piercing day 1, it is not easy. if they block the b1 and get hit by the 2, aint no way u hit confirming that lol. There is a reason foxy kept b12 into roll on block today...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
As far as Mileena is concerned, she has strong footsies and zoning but unsafe mix ups, which is a description of something that has never been top 5 in any version of this game. You still need absurd offense to be a really strong character.
The one thing that counterbalances this imo is that she doesn't need much meter in her offense; she's not going to set the world on fire with every combo, but she's consistently doing 34-35% on a confirm for free.

This means that once a Mileena reaches that stage of the round where they DO want to take that risk, they're not paying for it, as there's a breaker in stock and ready to cover a wrong guess.

This makes Mileena "unsafe", but also in a good position to take those mixup risks -- so I think she's in a unique position that can't necessarily be compared to others on frame data alone.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Top 5, non ordered:
Piercing Mileena
Reptile, specially Nimble.
Non fisticuffs Johnny Cage
Demo Sonya
Takeda, specially shirai ryu

Others are close to top 5 too. I still don't even think about dlc because probably more nerfs are coming, but alien says hi.

Few people speak about Reptile though, and it surprises me...
Dude I've wanted to see high level gameplay of nimble so bad. I feel like the reptile community is sleeping on it. Also ronin is def better. No discussion there for me

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Dude I've wanted to see high level gameplay of nimble so bad. I feel like the reptile community is sleeping on it. Also ronin is def better. No discussion there for me
Yes, I agree, people underestimate Nimble, he has a quite good amount of dirt. I play a couple of guys that main him and it's extremely frustrating.

Hmmm...Shiray Ryu htbs are a thing man xD But Ronin is amazing, yes.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The one thing that counterbalances this imo is that she doesn't need much meter in her offense; she's not going to set the world on fire with every combo, but she's consistently doing 34-35% on a confirm for free.

This means that once a Mileena reaches that stage of the round where they DO want to take that risk, they're not paying for it, as there's a breaker in stock and ready to cover a wrong guess.

This makes Mileena "unsafe", but also in a good position to take those mixup risks -- so I think she's in a unique position that can't necessarily be compared to others on frame data alone.
She also doesnt really have to use 50/50s unless she wants to. She has decent enough pressure that when mixed with throws can take life away quite easily. I prefer to save meter for breakers or EX projectiles personally. Maybe a wakeup EX roll or two.

TheGangstaFace

No particular order:
Takeda (Ronin) Johnny Cage (A-List) Sonya (Demo). Those 3 are SOLIDIFIED for me. Last 2 I feel like you could change my mind. Jax (all variations) and 5th is tied for me, shinnok (Imposter or Bone Shaper, not sure) and erron black (Gunslinger)

TheGangstaFace

Yes, I agree, people underestimate Nimble, he has a quite good amount of dirt. I play a couple of guys that main him and it's extremely frustrating.

Hmmm...Shiray Ryu htbs are a thing man xD But Ronin is amazing, yes.
Who needs htbs when you have frame traps lol

It is definitive because F0xy, who was able to get KL's 2f links consistently was struggling to hitconfirm b12 at Hypespotting. Its not impossible to hitconfirm but not easy.

Please do not say something is easy to hitconfirm unless you have played the character and actually tried to hitconfirm that thing lol.
I don't know if it's completely impossible to do, but it is possible. I've seen some excellent players online that state it's hard, but they have done it before.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
oh no i mean ex egg after f134. i think that renders backdash useless. also i dont think u can jump out of 112 egg consistently the timing is super tricky. You can, but u can catch them with f4 and it will catch them in the air. If i was playing against it i would rather block.
Yeah I knew you meant after f134 it does stop backdashing, but I think i said that already in a post so I didn't repeat myself haha
I was kinda just brainstorming :p

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I don't know if it's completely impossible to do, but it is possible. I've seen some excellent players online that state it's hard, but they have done it before.
I never said it was impossible. But saying it is "easy" is ridiculous. "Easy" hitconfirms for Mileena would be f12b4 123. Hell b21 and F23 are even easier lol.

snort

Noob
Its way too hard to say who is top 5, their are many great chars in the game who are good and can be top 5. Literally impossible.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I got blown up way less than I expected to be! Added Alien to the initial list though. :)

@General M2Dave m2dave pretty much nailed, why I have switched to Cutthroat Kano just after the last patch. I was playing (obviously broken) Cyrax before. My strongest char still is Predator who I picked up when he was Top 5! Yes, I might be a tier whore... :)

I am not sure about Kano being Top 5 though, but that's another story.

loogie

Noob
I would put Kotal up there ahead of Alien.. just my opinion. but then again, Alien is still somewhat 'new' and hasn't been fully explored and maybe played at it's full potential.

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
Pumped Up (or any Jax variation for that instance)
Konjurer (Could be very dumb when it's all said and done)
A-List
Swarm Queen
Smoke (Another late bloomer IMO)

Honorable Mentions: Crystalline, Piercing, Sektor, Cutthroat, Ronin
Tremor is nowhere near that high a 9 frame d1 give me a break

1.Tarkatan/Acidic Alien
2. Piercing Mileena
3. A-List Johnny Cage
4. Demolition Sonya
5. Wrestler/Heavy Weapons Jax

Honorable mentions : Leatherface (Butcher/Killer), Reptile (all variations), Shinnok (Impostor/Bone Shaper) D'Vorah (Swarm Queen)