What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

SZSR

Noob
Welcome to TYM Gadget! Great first post, I hadn't thought of those combos before, and I'd been looking for easy ways to include njp in my combos, so I personally appreciate it. As for his quote, yeah it is kind of off but his chain combos are named after fire, so I guess that's where you find it? Eh, I just like the hand motions he does.

You might want to make a formal introduction at the Noob's Passage:
http://testyourmight.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-Noob-s-Passage

But just a recommendation, again Welcome to TYM. :)

Gadget

Decorated Damager
Cool, made a post there. Around here we call Smoke Mr. Universe, because of all the posing he does when he wins.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
For the corner combo, might I suggest ending it with 214. It probably does less damage but it drops them right at your feet instead of catapulting them out of the corner. I'm actually hesitant about ending any combo with an uppercut because it resets to neutral and doesn't allow for oki opportunity.

There are basically 4 combos I keep in my arsenal for the different occasions that occur:

midscreen after a connected jump in punch: 3,d1,2, njp, b2, 3, smokebomb, 3,d1,2 jkick, airthrow
midscreen ground to ground: b2, 3, smokebomb, 3,d1,2, 3,d1,2, jkick airthrow (Neutral I try and catch them from a few steps away. b2 is pretty fast and has a much longer reach than most people realize. After a knockdown I throw it meaty and it basically always connects, as long as you've conditioned them to not wakeup attack you)
corner: 2,1,4, smokebomb, 3,2, 3,2, 214 (they have to touch the corner in the fall or smokebomb will whiff)
fast punish: 2,1, smokebomb, 3,d1,2 3,d1,2 jkick, airthrow

And welcome to tym

Gadget

Decorated Damager
I like jk air throw enders a lot better, they are just hard to land on some combos due to gravity. Uppercut is just a fairly easy ender that always does the same as jk/at would. The combos I posted are the ones I was working on to try to max out damage without meter or smokeball otg. I tried the one the Cage player posted, but it was way too hard for me to be consistent.

On most if not all combos I posted it's possible to get jk/at, it's just strict so I posted the easier version since I figured the peeps who could land jk/at would modify accordingly on their own. I also don't have the game with me today so I was posting from memory, some, like the 2,1 combo I think is actually easy to get jk/at. Prolly the corner one as well. Yesterday I was trying all kinds of craziness to squeeze out 40% combos, so I am not entirely sure which combos were so low only uppercut worked.

One thing I wanted to ask, say you had the option to do three 3,d1,2s or two 3,d1,2s and a 3,2 is there any reason to go for the 3,2? It seems to me that 3,2 is just a lower damage version of 3,d1,2. Maybe some kind of scaling issue? I don't think this game has repeat proration like BB so I'm clueless on this one.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I am sure somebody discovered this combo before but I'll put it out there anyway. A friend of mine wanted to learn Smoke but he didn't know any of the combos so I went into practise mode and started messing around with no real idea, because I am not a Smoke player, except for the fact most of Smoke's combos incorporate combustion? (3d12) and smoke bomb. So, anyway, here's a very easy bnb I found for Smoke. I think it has potential to be expanded upon because I only messed around with it for about half an hour.

3d12, 32, 32, db2, jk, air grab for 35%.

I left it at that because my friend was finding it difficult to execute that combo as it stands, and 35% is hardly bad for a basic punisher combo, but it did cross my mind that 3d12 could be linked after the smoke bomb. I don't know how well that juggles, however. I'll probably play around with it a bit more later today.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
One thing I wanted to ask, say you had the option to do three 3,d1,2s or two 3,d1,2s and a 3,2 is there any reason to go for the 3,2? It seems to me that 3,2 is just a lower damage version of 3,d1,2. Maybe some kind of scaling issue? I don't think this game has repeat proration like BB so I'm clueless on this one.
My understanding of the two strings is that the important difference between them is the frame spacing of the hits, and the distance that the opponent moves from Smoke on hit. Namely, that a njp will not connect after 3,2 but will after 3,d1,2.

For the longest time I didn't use 3,2 or 214 because there didn't seem to be any situation that another combo would yield a better result. But then I realized that in the corner those two strings compliment each other nicely; doing 3,d1,2 in the middle of the corner combo I posted above seems to drop pretty often while 3,2 remains consistent. Could be me though, I suppose.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Hey guys. I dont main smoke but enjoy playing him

My BnB with him is 3d12, 3d12, 32, smoke bomb, jk, teleport punch- does 35%, if done with a throw instead of punch does 35% again but if started with a jump punch the one ending in teleport punch does 39% while the one ending in air throw does 38%

hardwire

Noob
Hey guys. I dont main smoke but enjoy playing him

My BnB with him is 3d12, 3d12, 32, smoke bomb, jk, teleport punch- does 35%, if done with a throw instead of punch does 35% again but if started with a jump punch the one ending in teleport punch does 39% while the one ending in air throw does 38%
burn a meter on that throw and hit them with an ex smoke bomb

they may block it or they may not its 10% extra prity ez

cabibi

Noob
burn a meter on that throw and hit them with an ex smoke bomb

they may block it or they may not its 10% extra prity ez
I'm finding that the more 312's you do, the less damage a combo takes lol. you get 35% with that, but if you just do a 312 into a b14, then an ex smoke bomb, followed by a 312 and either a jk airthrow or a jk teleport punch, you get over 40%... less chance of dropping the combo too.

cabibi

Noob
Why ex bomb? I thought it only made the hitbox biggeR?
2 reasons. 1... after the patch, ex does more damage.

2... you can't land a normal smoke bomb after a b1 - 4. The larger hit box is needed to hit the opponent in the weird trajectory after that string.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
Could it be that :en bomb stuffs everything except block after some moves?

What i've found so far is:

1. :en smokeport punches when all three punches connect, normal and aerial version/combo ender.

2. After :r:bk as late combo ender. Example combo: :fk:d:fp:bp, NJP, dash, :fk:bp, bomb, dash, :fk:bp, :r:bk

3. :fp:fp:bp

there could be more, not sure.

So when your opponent blocks the :en smokebomb after those moves/combos(his best option) he still eats 2% block damage quaranteed, and when he tries wakeup or something else eats 10% or even gets relaunched for minimum 25% Bomb bnb.
I think those are the best opportunities for :en Bombs outside of combos and guaranteed punishment.
Because the opponent can't jump kick over it or dash/special through it when i understand it right.
They must block the :en bomb.

Am i right?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
2... you can't land a normal smoke bomb after a b1 - 4. The larger hit box is needed to hit the opponent in the weird trajectory after that string.
You can land a normal smokebomb after 3, d+1, 2 > njp > b+1, 3

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
I've just been practicing the 3, d1, 2 > njp > 3, 2 > 3, d1, 2 > jumping toward 3, 13. With optional EX smoke bomb at the end. Its easy enough to do, and entails Smoke's 3, d1, 2, which by now, I can do like its second nature.

Hey havn't been on in a while, have we found any meterless combos that do more than 48% yet? That was the max the last time I was here. (was right after OTG got removed)

Suirad

Noob
Between reading some stuff on here and messing around in practice mode here are some combos I've been trying to play around with(and that I havent already seen posted). If you have the time, please let me know about how useful/not useful they are, modifications that could helpful and/or any explanations as to why:

1) b2 xx db2 f~ nj.1 ff 3d+12 ff 3d+12 b23 xx db4(whiff) (mid-screen, overhead, 36%)
2) b2 xx db2 f~ nj.1 ff 3d+12 ff 3d+12 f4 xx db4(whiff) (variant of 1, tighter timing, 37%, appears to have better wake-up?)
3) b23 xx db2 ff 3d+12 ff 3d+12 b23 xx db4(whiff) (mid-screen, overhead, 35%, easy input)
4) b2 xx db2 nj.1 ff 32 32 3d+12 21 xx db2 (corner , overhead, 39%)
5) 3d+12 nj.1 ff 3d+12 ff 4 xx db2 f4 xx db4(whiff 2nd hit) (mid-screen, 39%, I saw a combo like this in the patching smoke thread, I changed a 32 in the middle to 3d+12 because it deals the same damage and seems to give more leniency on landing the 4 xx db2)
6) 3d+12 nj.1 (optional ff) 32 32 3d+12 21 xx db2 f4 xx db2 (corner, 43%)
7) db2 f~ nj.1 ff 3d+12 ff 3d+12 j.3 xx 1+3 (mid-screen, 34%)
8) db2 ff 3d+12 ff 3d+12 f.4 xx db4(whiff) (mid-screen, 29%, easier to hit confirm)
9) 214 xx db2 ff 32 32 3d+12 21 xx db2 (corner, fast, 42%)

For the corner combo, might I suggest ending it with 214. It probably does less damage but it drops them right at your feet instead of catapulting them out of the corner. I'm actually hesitant about ending any combo with an uppercut because it resets to neutral and doesn't allow for oki opportunity.

There are basically 4 combos I keep in my arsenal for the different occasions that occur:

midscreen after a connected jump in punch: 3,d1,2, njp, b2, 3, smokebomb, 3,d1,2 jkick, airthrow
midscreen ground to ground: b2, 3, smokebomb, 3,d1,2, 3,d1,2, jkick airthrow (Neutral I try and catch them from a few steps away. b2 is pretty fast and has a much longer reach than most people realize. After a knockdown I throw it meaty and it basically always connects, as long as you've conditioned them to not wakeup attack you)
corner: 2,1,4, smokebomb, 3,2, 3,2, 214 (they have to touch the corner in the fall or smokebomb will whiff)
fast punish: 2,1, smokebomb, 3,d1,2 3,d1,2 jkick, airthrow

And welcome to tym
I'm having problems with the timing on the bolded combo even in practice mode and having extreme difficulty lol online... It seems the opponent's situation when I try to execute this is always really low in the air I can't really get the quick jump kick in. Any tips? I've tried doing the first 3d12 abit earlier so you can setup the opponent to launch abit higher for the next 3d12 but usually fumble overall.

To be exact, this is how I do it:
b2, 3, slightly move forward, 3d12, dash, 3d12, (usually uppercut for easier execution on my part) Now I know there is a "slightly move forward" on my end and dash in between the 3d12 strings and I think thats the wrong thing I've been doing but I can't really execute without these.

The other combos are great and are generally easy to execute even online thanks for these.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
If the d+1 wiffs then that means the string was started just a hair early. Although, I can see the argument to use 3,2 because the collision region of 3,2 becomes higher earlier so there isn't any chance of it wiffing if the kick connects.

@Carmancilla I guess my advice for landing my advice for landing that combo would be:

b+2,3 > smokebomb > full dash and wait just a split second > 3,d+1, 2 > dash cancel > 3, d+1, 2 > jk/airthrow

whether or not the jk/airthrow connects is dependent on the timing of BOTH 3,d+1,2's; if the first one is off then you can't get the second one off with enough time to follow with the jk/airthrow. A good visual thing to think about is that you should throw the first 3,d+1,2 with the opponent just over chest level and the second one while they are basically still over your head.

I know what you mean when you can't get the jk/airthrow in though. It still happens to me occasionally. When it does, I'm just used to the visual positioning of the opponent and I can tell when they're too low. If that happens, I link in a smoke drift to keep pressure.

GhosT

Noob
Hey on smokes 3 D1 2 njp b2 3 smoke bomb 3 D2 1 jk air throw im having trouble getting the air throw.. after jk im whiffing grab? Where is my timing off at?

Ulturas

Noob

Jump in 1 or 2, 3d12, dash, 3d12, dash, f4, db2, jk opponent soon as kick lands db4

Best I can come up with although you need to be slightly right of the center of the arena or you can't get it without Smoke Bomb Enhanced (I think :|).

If the d+1 wiffs then that means the string was started just a hair early. Although, I can see the argument to use 3,2 because the collision region of 3,2 becomes higher earlier so there isn't any chance of it wiffing if the kick connects.

@Carmancilla I guess my advice for landing my advice for landing that combo would be:

b+2,3 > smokebomb > full dash and wait just a split second > 3,d+1, 2 > dash cancel > 3, d+1, 2 > jk/airthrow

whether or not the jk/airthrow connects is dependent on the timing of BOTH 3,d+1,2's; if the first one is off then you can't get the second one off with enough time to follow with the jk/airthrow. A good visual thing to think about is that you should throw the first 3,d+1,2 with the opponent just over chest level and the second one while they are basically still over your head.

I know what you mean when you can't get the jk/airthrow in though. It still happens to me occasionally. When it does, I'm just used to the visual positioning of the opponent and I can tell when they're too low. If that happens, I link in a smoke drift to keep pressure.
Thanks. I seem to be be having more problems in online matches recently though. More fumbling as the timing for some stuff is hard sometimes...depending on the opponent I kinda get confused lol.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder

Jump in 1 or 2, 3d12, dash, 3d12, dash, f4, db2, jk opponent soon as kick lands db4

Best I can come up with although you need to be slightly right of the center of the arena or you can't get it without Smoke Bomb Enhanced (I think :|).
So they have to touch the corner after f+4, then?