What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

Milk

Snake eyes
oh oh ..is chef dropping noob and switching over to the smoke side?
Coming from someone who plays both, gotta' say, I feel like Smoke is stronger, with more reliable midscreens. Noob's combos are corner, and, personally, I have trouble getting people into the corner with Noob. It's either I'm playing keep away, or doing little midscreen bnb's. if I do get them to the corner, and they don't have a reliable way out, it's game time. Smoke is pretty good from most distances on the screen.

This is my BnB right now...

3,d+1,2, low landing jump kick~1+3 (throw), OTG QCB+2, 3,d+1,2~f,f, f+4 then QCB+4 (teleport punch; does not combo) to get in their face for oki.
good stuff Markman, as you said it, this combo is great for oki and it does 43% damage

EDIT: after the OTG Smoke Bomb, you can :x for 51% damage:top:

Synraii

So Salty...
Launcher: 3,d+1,2
Easy high damage without meter: 3d+12, JK, Air grab, OTG smoke bomb, ff, 3d+12, JK, Air grab, OTG smoke bomb.
46% Zero meter.
Wall Carry: 3d+12, ff, 3d+12, ff, 3xxSmoke bomb, JK, db4.
34% Zero meter.
3d+12, ff, 3d+12, ff, 3d+1xxE. Smoke bomb, JK, db4.
36% Uses 1/3 meter.
Reverse Wall carry: 3d+12, JK, Air grab, OTG Smoke bomb, ff, 3d+12, f+4.
43% Uses Zero meter.
X-Ray whilst maintaining side:
3d+12, NJP, ff, 3d+12, JK, Air grab, OTG Smoke bomb, X-ray.
52%
X-Ray to switch sides: 3d+12, NJP, X-Ray.
43% NOTE: X-Ray must be timed late into the bounce & frankly equal/higher dmg can be done without wasting the X-Ray here: use only if it will kill.
I appreciate these may have been mentioned before but it's easier if they're together.
On a side note, these combos are a balance between high damage and consistency, you may be able to force 5% or so extra out of some, but these are solid damage and very easy to master.
I don't personally believe Smoke's X-Ray is necessary to him as his damage potential with just normals and enhanced in combos is already good. Frankly, I'd rather have 3 shots of bf1+Block than an extra 10% if that in combos...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
oh oh ..is chef dropping noob and switching over to the smoke side?
Reptile main, Smoke alt!

I think Smoke is by far the most underrated character in the game, and personally I think he's the best character in the game.

He seriously has every tool I can think of aside from a low hitting normal into a combo (which he makes up for with his GDLK sweep.)

In regards to my earlier video, I was having trouble consistently landing the Neutral Jump Punch after the 3, :d1, 2, but I realized that it's incredibly easy if you plink both punches.

If you're not familiar with plinking, it's basically hitting both buttons almost at the same time, just BARELY off from eachother. This caused some cool things to happen in SSFIV, but it applies in MK9 with Neutral Jump Punches/Kicks because both buttons do the same move. This effectively doubles your input, giving you twice as much chance to hit.

I've gone from maybe 30%ish consistency to over 90% easily like this. Obviously it still takes timing though.

Well first of all I'm new here and to MK9 and this is my first post.
I'm not sure if this is new or not. Probably has been discovered already but I haven't seen it being talked about.

If you combo a
:fk:d:fp:bp, dash, :fk:d:fp:bp, jk~throw, OTG smoke bomb
the combo counter resets. This might be only in training as I simply don't have the skill to test it in an actual game. If someone could test it would be great because I see a huge potential for damage with the reset.

Myself in practice the most I have been able to pull off is 56% no meter.

after the OTG smoke bomb I did a
jk~throw, OTG smoke bomb (ends the combo as the original OTG bomb counts as the beginning of this combo)

REYTHEGREAT

Hey chef, reptile is pretty cool to use. So good choice! I was using him also but I cannot connect the jump punch after the elbow dash lol. But reptile is awesome.

Hey tomo, I'll try that out.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Hey chef, reptile is pretty cool to use. So good choice! I was using him also but I cannot connect the jump punch after the elbow dash lol. But reptile is awesome.
Refer to my last post. Plinking the Neutral Jump Punch works for both Smoke and Reptile really well. I have both combos over 90% consistently.

EDIT:

Also would anybody mind going to the video I posted and leave a comment to this idiot? He keeps saying that this combo is too hard to do mid match because Krayzie Bone doesn't do it...

http://youtu.be/_8xw3B1mecQ

Frustrating.

REYTHEGREAT

Refer to my last post. Plinking the Neutral Jump Punch works for both Smoke and Reptile really well. I have both combos over 90% consistently.

EDIT:

Also would anybody mind going to the video I posted and leave a comment to this idiot? He keeps saying that this combo is too hard to do mid match because Krayzie Bone doesn't do it...

Frustrating.
I use a pad, so plinking on a pad is impossible. Or is it? Hmm I gotta try it. And about the video, it looks like a nice combo but I'm sure it's doable in a match. I left him a comment lol. I'm sure if some1 with execellent exucution comes along they will be able to pull this off everytime in a match.

Ok so I managed to pull off the combo reset a couple of times against a cpu. It is MUCH easier than any neutral jump shenanigans, but still requires a fair bit of OTG bombs so it isn't easy... well at least for me, perhaps it would be for the players in this community. As it basically gives you a fresh combo starting from 33% damage, I think its possible to reach 60%+ without meter, ridiculous amounts with it. 56% is still the highest I've pulled off.

fleshmasher

i got the poison

EDIT:

Frustrating.
@ Plinking: If i understand that right, that's how i do :bp:fp:bp:fp:bp (fast input) with Kung Lao. Didn't know it could be used for Smoke jump punches too. Cool stuff!

@ Kombo: I like it :D i think it looks stable. And stylish.

sttacos

Noob

EDIT:

Frustrating.
I find that im landing this combo more consistently now. What i do is hold up at the end of 3 ,d+1,2 until smoke jumps. as soon as he leaves the ground just neutral punch

You should be able to tack another smoke cloud on the end of that to bring it up to 51%. (Won't pop them up but still does damage)
See the vid above yours at 1:01 for what I mean.

I use a pad, so plinking on a pad is impossible. Or is it? Hmm I gotta try it. And about the video, it looks like a nice combo but I'm sure it's doable in a match. I left him a comment lol. I'm sure if some1 with execellent exucution comes along they will be able to pull this off everytime in a match.
I've pulled this off in a match before. If you actually do one more smoke bomb at the end, timed the same way you did it the first time you get some more damage. It's also easier to do if you have enhanced because the enhanced smoke bomb has a bigger hit box.

Ok so I managed to pull off the combo reset a couple of times against a cpu. It is MUCH easier than any neutral jump shenanigans, but still requires a fair bit of OTG bombs so it isn't easy... well at least for me, perhaps it would be for the players in this community. As it basically gives you a fresh combo starting from 33% damage, I think its possible to reach 60%+ without meter, ridiculous amounts with it. 56% is still the highest I've pulled off.
The reset is only if they don't block. But the smoke bomb can be blocked.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Back up bnb in case the air throw > smokebomb is removed:

3, d+1, 2 > neutral jump punch > dash > b+2, 3 > smoke bomb > dash > 3, d+1, 2 > jump kick > airthrow

Try it out. 41% with a jump in punch. Still serious mid-screen damage.

1,2,3,4 - square, triangle or circle really doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone got a ps3 guys... let's just use Mortal Kombat's FP, BP, FK, BK notations to make it easier for everyone, nor should xbox players use X,Y,B,A when sharing/explaining kombos in the forum either.
1 = FP = Square = X
2 = BP = Triangle = Y
3 = FK = X = A
4 = BK = Circle = B

I hope it will help you.