What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Kung Lao

AssassiN

Noob
Now kunglao has to fear Kabal, since he got the 4, dash reset combo punish against teleport. Can someone tell me if the Skarlet's 4, dash reset combo may works as well (+2 frames) ? :p
F4 works perfectly against Lao's Tele, her hurtbox is too low for his 3 to hit and is quick enough to not let the 2 hit her.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
low hats: dodge with iaD when they're close, if you're not too far from KL, your dagger will still hit him before he recovers, if not, it will shut down his game.
Stay alert for F3, these are a bit fast, you can D3 to prevent it, or NJP on reads

Kung Lao teleport works in 2 different ways

The normal tele will always pop out on skarlet's back
the EX version will first come out in the back, then it will always come out in the front for the hit, if you character turn into a different direction is exactly where his tele will also come out.
When you learn to escape this pattern, there is no way to KL hits you from teleport.

Tele instant 3: DOWN SLASH, same as any tele fast move, except throw, the crouch stance will make the high moves whiff on skarlet. or step away from the tele and F4 punish
tele-delay 3: Step away from the tele, and F4 punish

Strings:
Standing 1: 10f true high, he won't be attacking with this
Standing 2: 7f, special mid, this attack will only reaches skarlet hitbox if she blocks it, if she D3 at the same time, it will whiff

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Since Eddy Wang mentioned Kung Lao match-up is 5-5 in vs. Cyrax thread, I'd like the Skarlet community's input on this.

Personally I believe its 4-6 Lao favor because of that getouttapressure spin, that messes up Skarlet's EX DC pressure and mind games... Also, LBSH, you can't really AA this guy reliably so most of the times he gets free jump-ins to pressure/throws.

I'm starting this thread because this match-up is hell for me and I'm looking for viable tech against this Bird named Lao.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Skarlet cant really do shit against bird Lao, her armour is too slow and the iAD leaves her in the air for so long he can just walk in and AA 2 her for free, if she even managed to get it on screen.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Skarlet cant really do shit against bird Lao, her armour is too slow and the iAD leaves her in the air for so long he can just walk in and AA 2 her for free, if she even managed to get it on screen.
I've been AAed pretty ofter from iAD with Lao's F3 to spin on reaction... I believe this MU is VERY difficult for Skarlet.

Bird lao?
Yeah, LOL. You should watch Foxy play and you'll understand :p

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lao players have been saying this for years. If NW goes 4-6 against lao, then Skarlet cannot. Bird Lao is a gimmick that can be stopped by dash blocking, Red dash armoring the right way (empty dash), as well as iad. yes she can be AA'd but so can kabal. her iad at lowest point on a read will stop bird lao and force him to play a footsie / teleport game like usual.

She can hop over low hat from mid to full screen with u3 and build meter by throwing daggers. Her medium hitbox makes teleporting hard and can make all his strings whiff on neutral crouch.

She has all the tools to make this a 5-5.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Agreed with Fly, it's 5-5. He has no special advantage vs her opposed to anyone else. Not sure what A F0xy Grampa means that her armor is too slow - it starts up at the 2nd frame like everyone else's and lasts 27 frames and moves 3/4 of a screen distance by itself. Not sure what's slow about it?

Kung Lao is a solid character, Skarlet is as well. She also has a medium hitbox like Fly said. Spin is a problem, but she has to deal with that like any other character. iaBD's are as effective vs him as anyone else, as long as you can do them.

Comes down to player skill. 5-5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lao players have been saying this for years. If NW goes 4-6 against lao, then Skarlet cannot. Bird Lao is a gimmick that can be stopped by dash blocking, Red dash armoring the right way (empty dash), as well as iad. yes she can be AA'd but so can kabal. her iad at lowest point on a read will stop bird lao and force him to play a footsie / teleport game like usual.

She can hop over low hat from mid to full screen with u3 and build meter by throwing daggers. Her medium hitbox makes teleporting hard and can make all his strings whiff on neutral crouch.

She has all the tools to make this a 5-5.
bird lao actually refers to lao jumpkicking and dive kicking over you, you can't really do aything to stop that.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Agreed with Fly, it's 5-5. He has no special advantage vs her opposed to anyone else. Not sure what A F0xy Grampa means that her armor is too slow - it starts up at the 2nd frame like everyone else's and lasts 27 frames and moves 3/4 of a screen distance by itself. Not sure what's slow about it?

Kung Lao is a solid character, Skarlet is as well. She also has a medium hitbox like Fly said. Spin is a problem, but she has to deal with that like any other character. iaBD's are as effective vs him as anyone else, as long as you can do them.

Comes down to player skill. 5-5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I mean its too slow to stop bird Lao, by the time he's landed he can block and punish any reverse input armour attempts, theres pretty much nothing Skarlet can do about bird Lao.

As soon as he gets into 2 1 distance he's free to JKDK all day, iAD wont save you here. Obviously you may be able to catch him on occassion, but the risk is all yours, he gets way more damage in the air, plus JKDK is a mixup, if you just end up doing iAD (Since that is literally her only option other than red slide, which can also be dangerous) he can stroll his way in and AA you.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
bird lao actually refers to lao jumpkicking and dive kicking over you, you can't really do aything to stop that.
I know...yes you can. you can dash block the correct direction in anticipation or eh red dash the way he wants to go when he is over your head forcing him to run into your animation. Or after one "bird dive" iad to catch him coming back. Which one you do is a read based on where you both are and heights.

At this point in the game you cant assume people dont understand Lao...(I have played all the best laos in the US pretty much.) But we CAN assume people dont understand Skarlet. Funny how that works.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I mean its too slow to stop bird Lao, by the time he's landed he can block and punish any reverse input armour attempts, theres pretty much nothing Skarlet can do about bird Lao.

As soon as he gets into 2 1 distance he's free to JKDK all day, iAD wont save you here.
Lol at your typical oversimplifications of MU's. This thread is going nowhere.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Lol at your typical oversimplifications of MU's. This thread is going nowhere.
It's over simplified because I decide to take the most broken option, bird Lao is a broken strategy, near enough no characters in the game can deal with it, and until you play against a serious KL player, whoring the bird Lao idea, you wont know.

Think of it like being stuck in the corner with Subs ice clone, the match automatically becomes heavily in SZs favour against most of the cast, now apply it to KL, but instead of the corner you have the range of his 2 1, and instead of the clone you have bird Lao.

Its broken.

Every single player that doubted/didnt know about the idea of bird Lao on TYM, and then went to play me, now understands how fucking stupid this strategy is.

xarakamaka Chaosphere Glass_Sword iKritikal UsedForGlue PND_Mustard OmegaK Mr_Swizzer Smarrgasm
Soul Bound XPND i2 Gaug3 Pig Of The Hut @Anybody else I've played

It's not like this game isn't overly simple anyway, if you think it isnt, play Tekken. MK is childs play compared to that game.

I know...yes you can. you can dash block the correct direction in anticipation or eh red dash the way he wants to go when he is over your head forcing him to run into your animation. Or after one "bird dive" iad to catch him coming back. Which one you do is a read based on where you both are and heights.

At this point in the game you cant assume people dont understand Lao...(I have played all the best laos in the US pretty much.) But we CAN assume people dont understand Skarlet. Funny how that works.
You do the dive kick right after the jumpkick, the dive kick would have come out way before you could even react to it, even if you could he could have also done a teleport or jumpin punch which you cant anti air anymore if youre dash blocking. also skarlet having a medium hitbox doesnt have anything to do with laos strings whiffing on neutral crouch, his standing 2 is special mid so it whiffs on all neutral crouch.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Also, hitbox sizes become COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to Kung Lao if you're flying around, because their pokes become whiffs instead of ducking strings, they're forced to stand block because of the JIP mixup, which means you get alot of free 2 strings.

Also, hitbox sizes become COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to Kung Lao if you're flying around, because their pokes become whiffs instead of ducking strings, they're forced to stand block because of the JIP mixup, which means you get alot of free 2 strings.
The cheap thing is it becomes twice as hard to react to anything kung lao does. so stuff like f2 or f3 or just dash up 21 becomes that much better.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The cheap thing is it becomes twice as hard to react to anything kung lao does. so stuff like f2 or f3 or just dash up 21 becomes that much better.
Yeah true.

L0rdoftheFLY, Bird Lao isn't just a 'gimmick' that you can stop by dash blocking. Once he's in 2 1 range, he can start and stop as much as he likes, you cant dash at the same speed as a divekick, and you need to get at least that far to even block it. Do you not understand what stand blocking means to KL players as well? That means free strings ALL day.

I thought it was a gimmick at first, but turns out, its legit, looks fucking stupid, but still legit.

If you try to attempt a red slide to hit him as he lands, all you'll be doing is trading slide chip for 7f starter chip, a throw or more JK DKs. If you do a slash, you'll be punished.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It's over simplified because I decide to take the most broken option, bird Lao is a broken strategy, near enough no characters in the game can deal with it, and until you play against a serious KL player, whoring the bird Lao idea, you wont know.

Think of it like being stuck in the corner with Subs ice clone, the match automatically becomes heavily in SZs favour against most of the cast, now apply it to KL, but instead of the corner you have the range of his 2 1, and instead of the clone you have bird Lao.

Its broken.

Every single player that doubted/didnt know about the idea of bird Lao on TYM, and then went to play me, now understands how fucking stupid this strategy is.

xarakamaka Chaosphere Glass_Sword iKritikal UsedForGlue PND_Mustard OmegaK Mr_Swizzer Smarrgasm
Soul Bound XPND i2 Gaug3 Pig Of The Hut @Anybody else I've played

It's not like this game isn't overly simple anyway, if you think it isnt, play Tekken. MK is childs play compared to that game.
You do the dive kick right after the jumpkick, the dive kick would have come out way before you could even react to it, even if you could he could have also done a teleport or jumpin punch which you cant anti air anymore if youre dash blocking. also skarlet having a medium hitbox doesnt have anything to do with laos strings whiffing on neutral crouch, his standing 2 is special mid so it whiffs on all neutral crouch.
Guys, I know what bird lao is. I get it.

There are ways around it. Im dont feel like talking to a wall anymore about this so unless your willing to admit that there are ways out of it...I'm done.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yeah true.

L0rdoftheFLY, Bird Lao isn't just a 'gimmick' that you can stop by dash blocking. Once he's in 2 1 range, he can start and stop as much as he likes, you cant dash at the same speed as a divekick, and you need to get at least that far to even block it. Do you not understand what stand blocking means to KL players as well? That means free strings ALL day.

I thought it was a gimmick at first, but turns out, its legit, looks fucking stupid, but still legit.

If you try to attempt a red slide to hit him as he lands, all you'll be doing is trading slide chip for 7f starter chip, a throw or more JK DKs. If you do a slash, you'll be punished.
your saying there is no way around it?