What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Kung Lao

ryublaze

Noob
Uhhmmm. If I'm reading it right, after f212,1+2, the cancel advantage is +25, so if canceled into the dash, and you delay the slide until the 29th frame, 4 frames past the cancel advantage, the slide still has 8 frames of startup. That makes a 12 frame window to punish poke out etc.

If I'm wrong please correct me.
The Red Dash + Slide execution not delayed is 20 frame execution so the slide lands on the 20th frame. Delaying it by 10 frames would mean it lands on the 30th frame. Cancel advantage is +25 so Kung Lao's spin won't come out until the 31st frame. I might be wrong too xD but hopefully Somberness can clear this up for us.

and Eddy Wang I know the first hit whiffs on Kung Lao but you can get this string off of a jump-in punch or after you EX Daggered him standing. D4 also has the same cancel advantage on block. I'm using F2, 1, 2, 1+2 as an example for delaying Red Dash.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
The Red Dash + Slide execution not delayed is 20 frame execution so the slide lands on the 20th frame. Delaying it by 10 frames would mean it lands on the 30th frame. Cancel advantage is +25 so Kung Lao's spin won't come out until the 31st frame. I might be wrong too xD but hopefully Somberness can clear this up for us.

and Eddy Wang I know the first hit whiffs on Kung Lao but you can get this string off of a jump-in punch or after you EX Daggered him standing. D4 also has the same cancel advantage on block. I'm using F2, 1, 2, 1+2 as an example for delaying Red Dash.
LOL--- I just double checked everything. We are both right. They are two different situations. Yours is correct, and safe. Mine dealt with waiting till the last possible frame to slide, and is very unsafe, but only by 12 frames. You do have a short time to delay the slide after the f212,1+2 string which is good to know.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Delaying the slide can get her blown up but it's a read cause they risk the slide as well as an overhead. Conditioning is key.

Johnny2d

I had said there isn't an absolute flow chart for this match, but is there anything we could add in this thread if there were? Maybe simple stuff that we skipped over while getting in depth? Or more in depth stuff we should discuss before moving on?

And... The next order of business will be deciding the next character to break down. What's the next bad matchup for Skarlet? Who do you guys struggle against?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
this

i dunno what time is out there, here is already 11:30 PM, and i'm uploading the part 2 of the doodlings, lets see if its worth if or not (it will take 3 hours to be up at least) after that we can move on ^^

I still think is 5-5 really, the only tool kung lao has that can be a problem to Skarlet is f3, that roll is annoying, but can be poked if we read is comming with a d3/d4 or d1.

Also, is full punishable by a f4, into full combo.
I enjoyed discussing this MU, very good theories and evetually i took one thing that will help me beat more KL's the L0rdoftheFLY Whiff punisher on spin (is included on the video mike:p)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
this

i dunno what time is out there, here is already 11:30 PM, and i'm uploading the part 2 of the doodlings, lets see if its worth if or not (it will take 3 hours to be up at least) after that we can move on ^^

I still think is 5-5 really, the only tool kung lao has that can be a problem to Skarlet is f3, that roll is annoying, but can be poked if we read is comming with a d3/d4 or d1.

I enjoyed discussing this MU, very good theories and evetually i took one thing that will help me beat more KL's the L0rdoftheFLY Whiff punisher on spin (is included on the video mike:p)
im glad i could help...and thank you!

Johnny2d

this

Even if the vid isn't uploaded by sunday we can still add to the thread. People can feel free to post in here still, we'll just be moving on to other matchups.

So far the list for bad matchups to discuss next is Sonya, Mileena, Raiden. Any others to add? I think Smoke and Freddy are too, but that might just be me.

ryublaze

Noob
I vote for Raiden too but that could just be an online thing that I'm having trouble with. There is already a Mileena topic, but it is kind of old. We could probably use some of the information in that topic too. The match videos though are outdated and I think us Skarlet players have improved a lot since then.

I still think Skarlet vs. Kung Lao is 4-6 just for the sole fact that he limits her mobility and his 6 frame spin forces Skarlet to think twice about her Red Dashes. These along with him being a low hitbox characters gives Kung Lao a slight advantage in my opinion.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
After PL played emp skar online PL was quoted saying that one of KL only bad MU was skarlet. I tend to agree.

I play this MU the way I play it with NW...patient.

I dont need daggers at all for this match really.

I can punish teleports easily with d1 dagger or even an uppercut.

Ex cancels still work. If he tries to spin she can always dash backward and full combo punish after it happens once.

Hat is tough but like most 114 is ideal and still leads to good punishes and a guessing game.

She can deal with his pressure pretty well, at least the same as most other characters. It's not bad really IMO. I think KL is over rated. Always have and always will.
PL says lots of things than changes his mind like a week later. He just didn't know the Skarlet matchup, that's all. I bet if you asked him now he would say Kung Lao wins this matchup, I think so as well

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
PL says lots of things than changes his mind like a week later. He just didn't know the Skarlet matchup, that's all. I bet if you asked him now he would say Kung Lao wins this matchup, I think so as well
King can you share your opinions of what makes this MU an advantage win to kung lao.
give me reasons to believe that is 6-4 on kung's favor at least, or i will keep saying is 5-5

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
King can you share your opinions of what makes this MU an advantage win to kung lao.
give me reasons to believe that is 6-4 on kung's favor at least, or i will keep saying is 5-5
Kung Lao is not zonable and is too fast up close, Skarlet has to work really hard in this match up. Plus alot of Skarlet's strings start high, so Kung Lao can just crouch block and spin most of them fairly easy.

Mosp

Noob
Well it seems as though everyone is agreeing this is a tough match for Skarlet and we got about 9 pages worth of info so I think we should move onto the next characterif everyone else agrees. We can always come back to this thread and input any info we want or that we discover in this match of course. I'm not sure what everyone wants for the next character breakdown so maybe we could have a poll or something that includes 5 characters that people have trouble with. My vote is for Kabal right now just because he is on a tear through tournaments and we gotta be prepared to take them down :cool:

Johnny2d

To quote Tom Brady at UFGT yesterday: "The era of Kabal has begun". We might as well start this conversation up asap as it seems the Kabal train is full steam ahead. Why not try to shut it down. Since we've already got a few votes for Kabal, I feel we should just move forward with him as our next discussion. If everyone is ok with it I'll start the thread :)

Johnny2d

I've collected the information from our conversation that I thought would be most useful to someone just coming into the thread, and assembled it in the first post. Its a colossal wall of info and I think proof, that we really dug deep to figure out the matchup. I quoted everyone, typos and all, and tagged everyone that has a post listed (Although I ran out of tags for quotes) Please let me know if I missed anything that should be included in the bullet point list, and give it a read through, its pretty solid stuff.

@FCP/EMP SCAR Mosp Ninj UsedForGlue L0rdoftheFLY RedRaptor10 Eddy Wang Khaotic_xShangx PerfectMindGame

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Now kunglao has to fear Kabal, since he got the 4, dash reset combo punish against teleport. Can someone tell me if the Skarlet's 4, dash reset combo may works as well (+2 frames) ? :p