What's new

Should Throw Teching be Adjusted?

Would you like Throw Techs to be Adjusted? (You can't change your vote)

• Yes (Share how)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Israel

Noob
Take off them nastalgua glasses dude it was the same in MK9

And you saying this as a statement so I'm gonna ask for a source that it was easier to tech grabs in MK9 which it sounds like your implying pls?
The source is me. Theres no way the window is the same in mk9. idc what anyone says. Because only in this game were teching a grab is an issue.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
A throw is 10 frames, that's one sixth of a second, it's not humanly possible to react
Okay then, a combination of anticipation and reaction. My point still stands though.

And just to add, I don't have a problem with the current system. I have no real opinion on this but I would like to get plus frames on a teched grab.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
That would actually make it more difficult to tech throws than the current system as you wouldn't be able to poke out + tech with the same button and there'd still be the 50/50 element with the direction you want to tech.
True, but it is so hard to recondition myself. Seems like every other fighting game has throw tech as the same buttons as throw. On reaction I always press throw.

Okay then, a combination of anticipation and reaction. My point still stands though.

And just to add, I don't have a problem with the current system. I have no real opinion on this but I would like to get plus frames on a teched grab.
In other words a read like I said :D

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
In other words a read like I said :D
I guess, I suppose what I meant was if you have a difficult to read opponent who mixes it up between mids, or oh and low, and grabs. Sometimes neutral ducking is too risky and just holding block and looking for a grab allows you to tech it on reaction. Online though it's a complete read, no reacting involved.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
If you're poking you aren't getting thrown though?
Throws do randomly beat pokes sometimes for no reason, I got thrown out of Cage's D4 the other day. This wouldn't be a bad idea though as long as it teched both directions with the same button.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It was actually offline while playing against a friend. I dunno what online would have to do with this situation either way though.
Asking because that means there are hitbox issues during animations where the body gets lowered. If it happened online we'd chalk it up to lag. Offline though, that's bad. I do know I throw Shinnok out of his teleport every fucking time in training mode, before he could land an njp or anything.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I get what you mean and I guess I was a bit too literal. haha.

But with the d1 thing, isn't also possible for the grab to just grab your normal and you still get thrown? Is there a specific timing to this or is it pretty open?
Do you know the window to tech a throw?

Hate this too. Makes it feel like you have to do nothing to beat a throw. Which is an awful choice considering how crazy offense can be in this game.
Well that's why I suggest hitting the button a couple times at least. It's not that much different than in SFIV doing the os for throw breaking. It's just that holding back in that game doubles as blocking. Whereas holding down and hitting a button doubles for getting out of pressure as well as throw breaking.

In SFIV there are 5 ways to get out of throws and that is one of the gripes that there are too many defensive options in that game.

In MKX there are 6 because of neutral ducking. And MKX most throws don't have a sick oki game like SFIV. Yet for some reason people cry and cry about throws in this game. It's absurd this community complains constantly over something so basic and it annoys me.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Ok then think about this: throws get nerfed, all players can now tech easily, what happens to characters who rely on strike/throw mix-ups? And what of those who rely on 50/50s? Do you see how a mechanic change can affect the whole cast?
I've given up already. So many people say that they can handle grabs with ease. I'm probably just doing something wrong. My opinions and thoughts don't matter here. Enjoy your free 12%.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
But when you think about it you only need to tech with the button closest to corner, because unless it kills them throwing out if the corner is a favour for you
I guess I have a advantage then. Sometimes I throw and forget to hold forward. Or I run and throw forgetting tutu let go of forward. Lol

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
People mashing low pokes deserve to be thrown, it's bad fundamentals, and a reasonable way to stop it.
If I was predictable with my low pokes, you'd just block and take me being -5+. Or low crush or just plain whiff punish. Personally irks me that it's a high but will beat how low moves.

Now command grab on the other hand, that should be the one true power when grounded.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Throws are fine.

The suggestion to tweak throws in this thread...

...fails at even splitting hairs.

I don't understand why they were fine in MK9 yet for some reason people have a problem with them in this game even though they work the same way.

Throws are perfect the way they are. They shouldn't change at all. You're risking getting full combo punished for 12% and this is a problem? The logic is baffling to me.
Nobody abused them like some players do now in MKX even though the mechanics were pretty much the same. Maybe this means Mk9 wasn't that fleshed out at all?

Anyway throw teching is one of those skills that separates the just good players from the top players. Sadly it is one of those skills that are hard to learn without offline local competition( at least in my opinion).