What's new

Should Throw Teching be Adjusted?

Would you like Throw Techs to be Adjusted? (You can't change your vote)

• Yes (Share how)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Nobody abused them like some players do now in MKX even though the mechanics were pretty much the same. Maybe this means Mk9 wasn't that fleshed out at all?

Anyway throw teching is one of those skills that separates the just good players from the top players. Sadly it is one of those skills that are hard to learn without offline local competition( at least in my opinion).
I'm an online warrior, my offline competition is literally at tournaments.

You can learn this game online. As long as you're educated (or understand how to teach yourself certain aspects of the game) it doesn't really matter.

I'm an online warrior, my offline competition is literally at tournaments.

You can learn this game online. As long as you're educated (or understand how to teach yourself certain aspects of the game) it doesn't really matter.
Some people do have better reactions than others, for me it would be hard to do with just online and even offline it can be hard depending on the opponent.

I do have to admit I have slow reactions though.

The only annoying throw belongs to Kung Lao. Mainly because you have to watch out for quite a few things and he grabs you. I can't be the only person who cusses in my head after getting grabbed off a wake-up vs him lol
The problem with Kung Lao isn't just his throws, its that he has every damn tool in the game with above average normals and an insane pressure game.

His throw gives him a +10 advantage which is on par compared to other pressure based characters (Dvorah +10, Liu Kang+11, Tanya +10). Sonya and Mileena has the least hit advantage after their throw, them being -4 afterwards.

But anyways, universal nerfs to throws arent the answer. They can nerf Kung Lao's throw by either giving it less range, throwing the opponent across the screen or giving it less advantage on hit.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Some people do have better reactions than others, for me it would be hard to do with just online and even offline it can be hard depending on the opponent.

I do have to admit I have slow reactions though.
I find online a very good way to train reactions. With the delay online has you have to be very quick on your decisions and make lots of reads which then transfer in the offline pretty good since there is no delay it becomes easier to react. The one thing you need to really train offline for tournaments is the punishes and combo timing. Online is horrible for that.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Nobody abused them like some players do now in MKX even though the mechanics were pretty much the same. Maybe this means Mk9 wasn't that fleshed out at all?

Anyway throw teching is one of those skills that separates the just good players from the top players. Sadly it is one of those skills that are hard to learn without offline local competition( at least in my opinion).
In MK9 wakeup had invincibity frames, that is why no one dared to throw someone on wakeup. The game also had otgs, and MK9 didn't lose invincibity wakeup frames on delayed wakeup either.

coolwhip

Noob
In MK9 wakeup had invincibity frames, that is why no one dared to throw someone on wakeup. The game also had otgs, and MK9 didn't lose invincibity wakeup frames on delayed wakeup either.
There were so many other situations to use throw in, especially with how many strings/normal were neutral on block (much more than this game). I remember towards the end of the game's life when PL was one of the few still practicing it, he was using throws a lot with KL and it made his offense so much more overwhelming. However, where the wake-up invincibility thing comes into play is when you just don't want to knock your opponent down (and therefore you don't throw them) because it would put you in a guessing game that could get you launched. So a character like Johnny Cage who probably had more opportunities to throw than any other character in the game benefitted much more from just keeping you standing and chipping you to death because in a way, throwing you could signal the end of his offense.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There were so many other situations to use throw in, especially with how many strings/normal were neutral on block (much more than this game). I remember towards the end of the game's life when PL was one of the few still practicing it, he was using throws a lot with KL and it made his offense so much more overwhelming. However, where the wake-up invincibility thing comes into play is when you just don't want to knock your opponent down (and therefore you don't throw them) because it would put you in a guessing game that could get you launched. So a character like Johnny Cage who probably had more opportunities to throw than any other character in the game benefitted much more from just keeping you standing and chipping you to death because in a way, throwing you could signal the end of his offense.
That's indeed true, i used to throw a lot with Skarlet out of empty dashes as well

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
The usual -Oh i haven't spent much time in the lab practising teching throws or options for them and because it doesn't come naturally lets just nerf it.
If you wanna play an easy game go play Viva piñata.

Mkx is pretty easy as it is if you compare it to other fighting games but that's understandable as NRS are trying to bring new and casual players to the scene. But if your not one of those new people and you want to play this game at a high level then quit your jibber jabber. You have 3 options against throws. If your problem is reacting to them then work on your reactions- lets not forget that you also have throws and can utilize them as well.

I say let the 12% throw damage be a punishment until you can punish or tech them.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The problem with Kung Lao isn't just his throws, its that he has every damn tool in the game with above average normals and an insane pressure game.

His throw gives him a +10 advantage which is on par compared to other pressure based characters (Dvorah +10, Liu Kang+11, Tanya +10). Sonya and Mileena has the least hit advantage after their throw, them being -4 afterwards.

But anyways, universal nerfs to throws arent the answer. They can nerf Kung Lao's throw by either giving it less range, throwing the opponent across the screen or giving it less advantage on hit.
His throw does put the opponent full screen what game you been watching lol?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Throw teching is fine for this game, if you read a throw its not a 50/50 anyway you can neutral duck if you have the stones or do like instant njp (universal grab avoiding mid launcher) or armour through it. Throws beat people who dont let go of their block button, thats their only purpose.
In SCV you can tech while holding block, its still a 50/50 but where throws are combo starters, wall splat and also can instantly end the match with a ring out you learn which tech to mash based on the matchup and situation. In mkx you would just mash the break that goes towards the corner and never get opened up by KL/Liu/Cage again.

New to the forum but thought I'd add 2 cents here. It's important in the game to have something which negates both standing and crouching blocks, I think. It adds that extra dimension and the game works hard to make throwing a limited offensive tool.

Because your opponent has to be very close to you and his throw's start up is slower than your fastest normals, defensively you should be poking, using your fastest normals OR throwing yourself when someone is that close. So in that sense you shouldn't be getting caught with throws too often. Easiest said than done obviously, but pokes are probably the best defence when things go toe to toe in the 'throw zone'.

You have a lot of time to consider your options after having been thrown. To some extent the thrower is handing the opponent a reprieve and sometimes even an opportunity for a powerful wakeup, so I wouldn't say it's an OP tool. If they took 20%? Sure, but I think they judged it right.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
As everyone knows, throws in this game are extremely good. 10 frame startup, hard knockdown, many are very plus on hit, can't be teched while holding block, 50:50 guess to tech them, can beat low pokes on startup, very fast whiff recovery, with some setups they can start combos, and they do 12% damage every time.
This probably sounded absurd to all of us when we first heard it upon the game's release, and now the meta of this game is very throw-heavy, with some characters like Kung Lao getting the majority of their damage off of throws.
Does anyone else here think that throws are a bit too powerful in this game? What would have to change to tone them down? I don't have any ideas, but I'd like to hear some.

Schuyler

Noob
get rid of the 50/50 thing on throws and make them just a tad bit harder to tech on reaction. Also throws that seem like there negative like erron black them a decent throw. Other than that there fine.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Nah, I think throws are fine. Whiffing a throw is a horrible feeling also that can get you feel combo punished, thus its tradeoff. For some characters, throws are the only reliable mixups/great forms of mindgames they have.