What's new

Should Throw Teching be Adjusted?

Would you like Throw Techs to be Adjusted? (You can't change your vote)

• Yes (Share how)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Let go of block more
SO MUCH THIS.

As long as you're not in a blockstring or playing against a character with a mid projectile THEN DON'T BLOCK. Always be moving around and be mobile, this game is all about footsies so if you're unable to do that then you'll lose. Also if you're happen to be slightly negative on block(-6 to -10) and have some stamina, then backdash out instead of blocking. If they miss the punish you'll be safe and have distance between you, obviously this is not always the case like if you're a Kenshi player(shitty backdash) playing against a Cassie(strong advancing normals) but it's still a good tool that few people use.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
You can tech while blocking in SF4. And 90% of the characters in that game don't have low/OH mixups. They have no problem opening people up.

The thing is, if you tech in SF4, it will force an action from your character if your opponent doesn't do anything. This allows people to bait throw techs, which sets up a rock/paper/scissors mind game.

Obviously if you could just mash tech while blocking without any consequences, then that would be stupid and broken.
Attacks would have to override blocking in MKX if that was the case but then how would that work when trying to get out of pressure? Would block be canceled out mid block stun when moves jail? I think that could cause a lot of problems in a game like MKX. People will be able to easily mash out of high parts of strings and etc.

Mate we talked about this on mic , you couldn't give me an answer why risking teching a throw is better than full combo punishing one, if ur letting go of block to tech a throw and ur wrong then u can get hit anyway into a combo anyway and the best ur hoping for is to tech the grab, I'd rather go for a full combo. I repeat teching a grab is pointless, it's not even a debate dude like I said even u couldn't give me a good answer
Yeah cuz o had to think about it. But now I know, it's risky. Especially when you playing against ermac, you neutral ducking is basically saying "Hit me and put me into vortex!"

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
A universal mechanic shouldn't be used to balance specific characters. That's dumb.
Ok then think about this: throws get nerfed, all players can now tech easily, what happens to characters who rely on strike/throw mix-ups? And what of those who rely on 50/50s? Do you see how a mechanic change can affect the whole cast?

How about a system that rewards throw techs? Since a tech leaves both players in the same state, how about leaving the player that attempted the throw at a slight amount of -frames?

Then again, there's plenty of ridiculous stuff in the game already where your reward for making a good read is "welp, I hope I guess right again."
I like this idea, considering how much of a hard read throw teching is, you should get rewarded more for it. Something like getting as much + frames as MB throw or maybe half of it

inb4 shitstorm.
Why tech when can neutral duck punish it, teching grabs is pointless if u read the grab
Yeah cuz o had to think about it. But now I know, it's risky. Especially when you playing against ermac, you neutral ducking is basically saying "Hit me and put me into vortex!"
Dude it's called a read lol, I said before, u risk getting hit trying to tech 50/50 regardless, and what do u gain? Nothing but a tech throw, I'll go with punish full combo any day thanks :)

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Why tech when can neutral duck punish it, teching grabs is pointless if u read the grab

Dude it's called a read lol, I said before, u risk getting hit trying to tech 50/50 regardless, and what do u gain? Nothing but a tech throw, I'll go with punish full combo any day thanks :)
On a read you might aswell neutral duck, but when you tech a throw on reaction and not on a read you should probably be at a few plus frames at least.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Not to mention...if a character has a fast low (like Shinnok lol)/mid/overhead, then neutral crouching is the last thing you're thinking of when you're getting pressured.
And if it's a launcher (like both of Shinnok's lolol) you'd be more than happy to eat 12%.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Not to mention in MKX hitiing on block is way more rewarding like doing damage and getting meter, which gives less reason to throw.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
I just think throw tech should be the throw button and the direction they are going to throw you in.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I just think throw tech should be the throw button and the direction they are going to throw you in.
That would actually make it more difficult to tech throws than the current system as you wouldn't be able to poke out + tech with the same button and there'd still be the 50/50 element with the direction you want to tech.

Israel

Noob
Finally someone steps up and calls out the cheapness in grabs.
In Mk9, while blocking, i had enough of a window to let go of block and mash a button to break a grab. I felt good about it. So they need to bring this same back.

Hell, as short of a window there is in tekken to break grabs...that shit is easy compared to this game.

In MKX, grabs are pretty much guarenteed. Cuz the window is.....well, lets just say there is no window. the second you get grabbed, you have to already be mashing a button. Which is Dumb.

Just widen the window on breaking them

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Finally someone steps up and calls out the cheapness in grabs.
In Mk9, while blocking, i had enough of a window to let go of block and mash a button to break a grab. I felt good about it. So they need to bring this same back
Take off them nastalgua glasses dude it was the same in MK9

And you saying this as a statement so I'm gonna ask for a source that it was easier to tech grabs in MK9 which it sounds like your implying pls?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I disagree with changing them. For the most part the offline players i play with tech and counteract throws pretty consistently. It seems like execution and reflexes are things that some people don't want to work on or refine. Making everything easier to level the playing field is never the right answer.

Several people have already stated answers to grabs in this thread.

Skedar70

Noob
I disagree with changing them. For the most part the offline players i play with tech and counteract throws pretty consistently. It seems like execution and reflexes are things that some people don't want to work on or refine. Making everything easier to level the playing field is never the right answer.

Several people have already stated answers to grabs in this thread.
Yesterday, high level players whom are paid to play this game 24/7 proved unable to react or execute. It actually comes down to a really risky guess.

That would actually make it more difficult to tech throws than the current system as you wouldn't be able to poke out + tech with the same button and there'd still be the 50/50 element with the direction you want to tech.
A throw is 10 frames, that's one sixth of a second, it's not humanly possible to react

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
In those games you still have to hit a button and it is still a throw/strike guessing game. I used the term 'mash' just because and I think you are taking it too literally.

You can simply just press d1 or d3 or d4 as you leave block stun to double as getting out of pressure and teching a throw as well. You don't literally have to mash.
I get what you mean and I guess I was a bit too literal. haha.

But with the d1 thing, isn't also possible for the grab to just grab your normal and you still get thrown? Is there a specific timing to this or is it pretty open?
Do you know the window to tech a throw?

My only complaint is being grabbed while I'm in the middle of a down poke
Hate this too. Makes it feel like you have to do nothing to beat a throw. Which is an awful choice considering how crazy offense can be in this game.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Yesterday, high level players whom are paid to play this game 24/7 proved unable to react or execute. It actually comes down to a really risky guess.
Yeah sure and there are japanese sf4 players who have put thousands of hours into the game. In a game where grabbing is very easy to tech, they still get scooped. No one reacts to every single grab.