What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Wanted to learn someone new, tried sektor, liked him, nerfed his up rockets...Im back, what I miss?
I also found the sektor mu to be a weird mu for shinnok.
It should be pretty good for Shinnok, we get a meterless vortex with nice damage ( for example b3,f224xxStolen Sector's Tele connects)

Last edited:

HanSolo

Noob
How does one go about fighting a Shinnok? I get stuck in the loop of f4, hellsparks, ex into combo or just looped block strings of ex hellsparks in the corner. I can't figure out when it's my turn to hit buttons and get punished for it. Any advice would be nice.
Shame on you shinnokers not offering advice lol.
The thing about shin is he needs his meter to do any damage and to stay safe in these block strings you're talking about.
You can back dash the third hellspark, which is why you'll see good ones burn on the second spark. F4 is 7f and his overhead is 18f so generally you'll want to guess low as its his most used starter. block low, standing block, and then back to a low block in case they go for a scepter slam after the overhead. Scepter is very negative on block so punish it hard. Practicing the timing for jumping over hellsparks will also help you immensely in this matchup

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Shame on you shinnokers not offering advice lol.
The thing about shin is he needs his meter to do any damage and to stay safe in these block strings you're talking about.
You can back dash the third hellspark, which is why you'll see good ones burn on the second spark. F4 is 7f and his overhead is 18f so generally you'll want to guess low as its his most used starter. block low, standing block, and then back to a low block in case they go for a scepter slam after the overhead. Scepter is very negative on block so punish it hard. Practicing the timing for jumping over hellsparks will also help you immensely in this matchup
Im sorry I dont want to give away my bullshit on how I win! sheesh!

SixPathsOfHate

We have to all sit down and seriously consider the possibility that Imposter Shinnok loses the Goro MU.
I can seriously say that without a doubt, that we win this match up hard. We can either go for the unblockable damage or whiff it and go for another mixup. Our low is stupid and we can stop run ins with hs. Pw is an issue, but one we can easily get around with a jump or iatp. Not to mention yet extra crap we can get off in the corner due to his giant ass hotbox. Now why do we lose the mu?

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I can seriously say that without a doubt, that we win this match up hard. We can either go for the unblockable damage or whiff it and go for another mixup. Our low is stupid and we can stop run ins with hs. Pw is an issue, but one we can easily get around with a jump or iatp. Not to mention yet extra crap we can get off in the corner due to his giant ass hotbox. Now why do we lose the mu?
He can armour out of Hell Sparks and punish a raw Hell Sparks with the chest lunge move. He kills us harder than we kill him in the corner. The IA tele has become easier for him to hit, and the WORST PART now is that it's come to my attention the stomp does 2%. It's, techinically, an OTG and was therefore hit by the nerf. If you do stomp right after, you're only getting 2%. Unless you can change where you land ( which I didn't know you could? can you do that?) this has become a useless steal. You can't do it on block because they can just move out of the way lol. I actually don't see how this is a 6-4 for Imposter anymore.

SixPathsOfHate

Hmm, good points but you can change the direction of the jump and have it land behind or indent of him and he would still be in trance stun for a mixup. Other than that I never really considered the dash move which I could see being a problem. But of course that comes with a risk on goro if u choose to meter burn the second hell sparks. Oh, and d4xxhell sparks is godlike.

ArmedCalf

Hmm, good points but you can change the direction of the jump and have it land behind or indent of him and he would still be in trance stun for a mixup. Other than that I never really considered the dash move which I could see being a problem. But of course that comes with a risk on goro if u choose to meter burn the second hell sparks. Oh, and d4xxhell sparks is godlike.
I think he punishes d4xxsparks but I don't remember for sure. A good Goro should be watching your meter as well, if you throw out a Hell Sparks that you can't make safe then you're in for some trouble

He can armour out of Hell Sparks and punish a raw Hell Sparks with the chest lunge move. He kills us harder than we kill him in the corner. The IA tele has become easier for him to hit, and the WORST PART now is that it's come to my attention the stomp does 2%. It's, techinically, an OTG and was therefore hit by the nerf. If you do stomp right after, you're only getting 2%. Unless you can change where you land ( which I didn't know you could? can you do that?) this has become a useless steal. You can't do it on block because they can just move out of the way lol. I actually don't see how this is a 6-4 for Imposter anymore.
First of all, the Stomp doesn't do 2%, it just scales hard, like it is a combo when your opponent is in Mimicry hitstun. So using it as guaranteed extra damage is still an option when the initial combo into Mimicry wasn't big.
Second, after a whiffed Stomp only F4 or d1 are guaranteed, takes too much time)

The Stomp has 51 frame of start up and 46 frames of recovery, so to whiff it takes 97 frames. Mimicry hitstun lasts 104 frames, so you are only at +7 after thw whiffed stomp. The F4 is a just-frame at that point. The problem is that F4 doesn't reach right after the whiffed Stomp, you have to move a little bit and that ruins the just frame F4 option. So the only thing that is guaranteed after the whiffed Goro Stomp is D1 which is 6 frames and reaches right after Shinnok recovers. Everything else can be armoured or backdashed.

ArmedCalf

So as a group, can we agree that these MU's for Shinnok are 6-4 in our favor?

Kenshi, Ermac, Kitana, Sub, Kotal, F/T, Tanya, Cassie (imo), Kung Jin (imo), Tremor (once again, imo)

So as a group, can we agree that these MU's for Shinnok are 6-4 in our favor?

Kenshi, Ermac, Kitana, Sub, Kotal, F/T, Tanya, Cassie (imo), Kung Jin (imo), Tremor (once again, imo)
I agree with this list but why kung jin? I feel shaolin has good options plus he can't be vortexed.

ArmedCalf

I agree with this list but why kung jin? I feel shaolin has good options plus he can't be vortexed.
I need to play more Shaolin. I find the majority of KJ's jump back a bunch normally fishing for a jip or a dive kick. Shinnok can bait that with HS. Also the flip kick we steal is safe AND if it still works, we can create a huge mind game over that. The only think KJ can do after is d1, otherwise you can d2 him out of anything for 18%. If people don't know that then you can just kill them on it, or you block a d1 and start pressure, or you just back dash away. It's a swell get in get out type option. He has to be careful throwing stuff because we can teleport (not on reaction but you get the idea). They both have some jank but every time I play a KJ I feel like I have more opportunities to hit him in the neutral.

I need to play more Shaolin. I find the majority of KJ's jump back a bunch normally fishing for a jip or a dive kick. Shinnok can bait that with HS. Also the flip kick we steal is safe AND if it still works, we can create a huge mind game over that. The only think KJ can do after is d1, otherwise you can d2 him out of anything for 18%. If people don't know that then you can just kill them on it, or you block a d1 and start pressure, or you just back dash away. It's a swell get in get out type option. He has to be careful throwing stuff because we can teleport (not on reaction but you get the idea). They both have some jank but every time I play a KJ I feel like I have more opportunities to hit him in the neutral.
In regards to post blocked flip kick, KJ still has the option to d1 into a safe oh or a low chakram for a full combo so I don't think that's an ideal situation to be in. I also don't see why Kung jin needs to rely on jumping back when his advancing low leads to a safe block string or mixup every touch.

ArmedCalf

You're probably right.
Most of those characters have serious problems punishing HS and/or can be vortexed.

I could see Ermac being a problem in the future, though.

What about D'vorah or Raiden?
(Raiden is terrible)
5-5 for D'vorah possibly 4-6 SQ, Raiden I wanna say is 5-5 but I don't know the MU well enough (truthfully it looks 4-6 on paper).

ArmedCalf

In regards to post blocked flip kick, KJ still has the option to d1 into a safe oh or a low chakram for a full combo so I don't think that's an ideal situation to be in. I also don't see why Kung jin needs to rely on jumping back when his advancing low leads to a safe block string or mixup every touch.
yeah that's true, but I think we can back dash that poke can't we? We could also armour if we're near the corner - I personally would never do it but I suppose it's an option. I just like the flip kick because it sets up an interesting situation. I agree that KJ players don't need to jump back, I just find that most will. Run in Hell Sparks will catch at least 70% of the time for me.

are you sure? I slaughter D'vorah players with Shinnok. they can't do anything vs HS
It feels 5-5 to me. She can jump over hellsparks with her high jump arc if she spaces herself correctly and after a blocked hellspark she can run and punish with f1 or at least start pressure.

Edit: Her stolen move is also complete trash

It feels 5-5 to me. She can jump over hellsparks with her high jump arc if she spaces herself correctly and after a blocked hellspark she can run and punish with f1 or at least start pressure.

Edit: Her stolen move is also complete trash
Well she can only jump over HS if she makes a crazy read and executes it properly- it's a huge risk.

And the punishment or pressure of HS on block with f1 is extremely risky and hard to execute as well with the block stun.

Most characters can try to pressure with run up, but no body tries it because it's extremely risky

I've always personally thought d'vorah was a 7-3 match up in his favor, but I use Bone Shaper.

Kung jin's stolen move is garbo as well.