What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Bad Genez

Green
What? Pre patch as in the recent one or the huge one that nerfed shinnok? most people still aren't playing the match right who are putting him in S tier. His damage, zoning, and pressure have been nerfed considerably since the last big patch
I've been away from MK for a few weeks so maybe I missed one, but I was talking the huge one. People were still calling him S tier even after he lost his pressure after MB Hell Sparks so I guess what I was asking was; did the Dark Beam nerf drop him a whole tier, or was he A+ before that and it was just upplay?

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
So I mean iunno how many characters can do this, but on a hard knock down (jk for example), if you run into the opponent as they're like on the ground and you jump, you can reverse the wake-up input. I was using Kung Jin as my CPU and his cartwheel wake-up would change direction. Probably not unique to Shinnok but I just thought this was cool.

Also to anyone who doesn't know, if you read a cartwheel wake-up, you can forward dash underneath and punish with f4:p it's nice

A list of characters who can't really punish F41D2xxDB because they suffer from
stubby limb syndrome or slowness. Good matchup knowledge to have.
Let me know if I'm wrong or missing anything.

Tempest Lao
Ermac
Balanced Kenshi
Mileena
Takeda (Shirai Ryu)
Quan Chi
Tremor
Quan Chi can definitely punish that with a standing 2, it reaches Shinnok and is only 8 fr start up.

Krabman

Noob
What do you guys think is the easiest way to continue the vortex in imposter after a MB hellspark launch? I really struggle landing it during lag. What I usually do is run then jump punch 1 and as the opponent is falling I do f2 2 then db1.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
What do you guys think is the easiest way to continue the vortex in imposter after a MB hellspark launch? I really struggle landing it during lag. What I usually do is run then jump punch 1 and as the opponent is falling I do f2 2 then db1.
Dash, NJP, f22, mimicry.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You mean after raw MB hellsparks right? If so then yeah what True Grave said, dash, slightly delayed NJP, F22~DB1.

ArmedCalf

In necro, can you break the flick or the summoned fiend? If not, you could pull out this clutch combo:

(On wake-up) EXbf3, EXdf4, RC, db2 EX3rd spark, df4 = 31%

It's a pretty cool look hail mary comeback combo

Youphemism

In necro, can you break the flick or the summoned fiend? If not, you could pull out this clutch combo:

(On wake-up) EXbf3, EXdf4, RC, db2 EX3rd spark, df4 = 31%

It's a pretty cool look hail mary comeback combo
Nope, Flick and Summoned Fiend are unbreakable :) So yup your combo works, if only the second and third hits of ex shoulder connect then that's completely unbreakable :p

Mahjunia

Noob
Hello guys, I'm getting into Shinnok Impostor and have some questions since I'm a lil'noobito.

What's the general gameplan in the neutral game with Shinnok. I know he can try to open from long distance with f224, harrass/poke/zone with db2 etc.

Also a little question about how to vortex or more as a doubt I have, let's say for example I do:
112-db2ex,dash,njp,f22-mimicry

when I have the guy with mimicry I have to tp right? Njp or f4 after it and then get him with his own special and restart the vortex with mimicry again? Is this correct?

Hello guys, I'm getting into Shinnok Impostor and have some questions since I'm a lil'noobito.

What's the general gameplan in the neutral game with Shinnok. I know he can try to open from long distance with f224, harrass/poke/zone with db2 etc.

Also a little question about how to vortex or more as a doubt I have, let's say for example I do:

when I have the guy with mimicry I have to tp right? Njp or f4 after it and then get him with his own special and restart the vortex with mimicry again? Is this correct?
1. d4 when within distance works wonders too. also teleport/instant teleport.

2. you don't have to teleport after his mimicry. you have almost all the time in the world to do whatever you want. while you can use the njp as a vortex, you should use b3 overhead in the vortex instead of n.jp. reason being its easier to set up and more importantly, the second njp wont cause a ground bounce if you started your mimicry combo with the first njp.

Mahjunia

Noob
1. d4 when within distance works wonders too. also teleport/instant teleport.

2. you don't have to teleport after his mimicry. you have almost all the time in the world to do whatever you want. while you can use the njp as a vortex, you should use b3 overhead in the vortex instead of n.jp. reason being its easier to set up and more importantly, the second njp wont cause a ground bounce if you started your mimicry combo with the first njp.
Right, unless I do the Jip instead of njp in the "starter combo" and then to vortex I have the option to njp after tp. Thanks tho

ArmedCalf

Always do something, worst thing Shinnok players do is either stand still for 3 seconds and then throw out the 50/50 or go right into the 50/50

Youphemism

Neutral game is pretty much spacing them with a mix of Hell Sparks, F22, D4, F4, and jump in/teleport mixups or even just teleporting to make up some space (although the amount of teleporting you'll be doing depends on the character you're facing). You can also use F3 and Mimicry (it has a lot of blockstun and it can keep people at bay, especially with the amount of pushback it has on block too) sometimes but they're not the greatest options.

After Mimicry you're +104, you can literally sit and teabag for a second and a half for all it matters lol. You don't have to teleport, but it's good for building some meter before you mix them up. What you're describing: jip~tele~NJP or jip~tele, F4; was the old mixup before they patched in B3. Ever since then he's had a traditional vortex so after Mimicry you can just do the old jip~F4~[rest of combo] or jip~B3, [rest of combo] or even jip, throw for the 16%.
As for hitting them with their own move then Mimicry'ing again it depends on the character. Against characters like Kano where you steal Kano ball you can't really vortex him, you just have to do combos then end with Kano ball and go for oki then when you land another combo Mimicry again. You can vortex characters like Scorpion and Quan since you steal restand moves from them (check the stolen moves section of the combo thread for example combos for those guys). Against characters like Takeda you can do a combo into Mimicry then whiff the move and still have time to vortex them.

True Grave

Not that this is tech or anything, but I noticed something while in the chamber with Shinnok using his ex bf1 (imposter/necromancer). This also tells me that Reptile has auto tracking on his slide since he's backwards, sides switched, and I still get hit even tho he's not facing me.
For whatever reason the video isn't showing up so here is the raw link

Last edited:

gibster13

A fan of fans
So I went into training and put boneshaper to do f41d2xxhellsparks(ex 1st hit) loop on me. I was scorpion with a 6f d1 and I couldn't poke out. Is this still a thing ????? I thought the patch fixed this ?

True Grave

So I went into training and put boneshaper to do f41d2xxhellsparks(ex 1st hit) loop on me. I was scorpion with a 6f d1 and I couldn't poke out. Is this still a thing ????? I thought the patch fixed this ?
You were never able to poke, but you could possibly armor before the patch though. Now at post patch, you're always guaranteed to armor Shinnok in that loop.

What do you guys think are BS Shinnok's bad matchups?

I think Tanya is one of them because she doesn't care about Shinnok's zoning at all and its not like he beats her up close.

Do you think that Necromancer Shinnok has a better chance in that matchup because it worked when Woundcowboy used that variation in ESL?

ArmedCalf

What do you guys think are BS Shinnok's bad matchups?

I think Tanya is one of them because she doesn't care about Shinnok's zoning at all and its not like he beats her up close.

Do you think that Necromancer Shinnok has a better chance in that matchup because it worked when Woundcowboy used that variation in ESL?
Necro or Imposter imo

Sorry for the dumb question, but does Shinnok's standing reset off Dark Beam jail?

I'm not sure if it's just that I can't get the timing right, but I've not once been able to do it once without it being armor-able or backdash-able even if the follow-up is F4

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Sorry for the dumb question, but does Shinnok's standing reset off Dark Beam jail?

I'm not sure if it's just that I can't get the timing right, but I've not once been able to do it once without it being armor-able or backdash-able even if the follow-up is F4
Doesn't jail.

You miiiiight get it to jail with run d1 but not run F4.

If you time it perfectly the opponent's only option is to armor. The F4 string will even catch backdashes.

I made a thread about it awhile back: http://testyourmight.com/threads/shinnoks-new-restand-pressure.55764/

Even armoring out is ballsy because the opponent has to do it on a read.