What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

ty lewis

Noob
"B2 has no range" you guys do realize that B2 has more range than d4 right?

I believe I found another bug. if your shoulder charge is blocked you can't MB either version afterwards. Which is confusing as they gave frame data showing how negative it is.

ty lewis

Noob
My friend complains too about the neutral. Need more pokes. With Shao Kahn it is easy to be obsessed by long range moves and forget about pokes. :)

What really bothers me that I could not break away from the whole bnb (24xxbf3 amp, j2, 24xxdb3) - i spammed down r2 like crazy.
If it is a thing thats great for him. I will go to lab soon lol.

And i think in few weeks shao kahn needs to be prepared to F34 flawless block. :)
Easy to work around and punish flawless block attempt with risk.
you mean 23? there is no 24 string. lol

And sadly there is no point in any jumping hits or strings that have knock up effects mid combo. they just add gravity and damage scaling. just use 4 as your filler.

you mean 23? there is no 24 string. lol

And sadly there is no point in any jumping hits or strings that have knock up effects mid combo. they just add gravity and damage scaling. just use 4 as your filler.
Ah sry the BnB was that: 14xxBF3 AMP, J2, 14xxDB3. I guess it just a basic BnB. :D Probably not optimal just I tried the "nerf" with that combo. :)
The point was that my friend did that combo too and I could not break away when I tried hard lol. I may try harder.

And of course not F43 but F34 string lol. I tried too many characters already and every character has a bit different inputs lol. But I thought about F34 of course. :p

"B2 has no range" you guys do realize that B2 has more range than d4 right?

I believe I found another bug. if your shoulder charge is blocked you can't MB either version afterwards. Which is confusing as they gave frame data showing how negative it is.
I think it is no bug but feature. Not every move can be amplified on block.
It would result a gimmick with the shoulder charge and make it safer or even hit. :D The jump move can be amplified on block but it has the risks... A fairly safe move into a very unsafe move.
Shoulder charge which leads into massive damage should not be that gimmicky... But game will tell it.

Tom Brady had a video just about this. :)

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
If this character doesnt get some decent changes, he wont be able to compete at high lvl atm.

F21 needs to be a mid hitting string OR make it faster like it was pre patch.

Make f34 cancelable.

Increase the dmg of his projectiles.

Make his buffs useful. As of now these 3 skills are the worst in the game probably. No real setups to use them. Also imo his dark priest buff should be a basic skill. He is a sorcerer ffs.

Make his f4 an OH.

These are some of the changes that come to mind atm. Feel free to chip in.

ty lewis

Noob
If this character doesnt get some decent changes, he wont be able to compete at high lvl atm.

F21 needs to be a mid hitting string OR make it faster like it was pre patch.

Make f34 cancelable.

Increase the dmg of his projectiles.

Make his buffs useful. As of now these 3 skills are the worst in the game probably. No real setups to use them. Also imo his dark priest buff should be a basic skill. He is a sorcerer ffs.

Make his f4 an OH.

These are some of the changes that come to mind atm. Feel free to chip in.
If F2 becomes a mid it would actually be worth using but it's currently too unsafe to throw out due to startup and low profiling. Why use F2 when you can use B3 instead?

I feel F34 will definitely become cancelable in the future. Considering it's his only mid starting string he painfully needs it. The move would be incredible if he can cancel it as a 10 frame starting mid, low string that is safe on block is amazing.

The damage on his projectiles are fine. Considering he is not focused around zoning and they both lead to krushing blows. (Which the requirements are likely to change in the future)

If any move should be basic it should be his taunts. Albeit they aren't very useful but it's iconic to his character.

His F4 being an overhead will result in some nerf and I already enjoy this move. As being +6 on block is a blessing in this game.

The only move that I would seriously buff would be his Earth Shatter. It makes zero sense why you would want a special that restands but knocks away your opponent mid-screen and is punishable on hit in the corner.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
If F2 becomes a mid it would actually be worth using but it's currently too unsafe to throw out due to startup and low profiling. Why use F2 when you can use B3 instead?

I feel F34 will definitely become cancelable in the future. Considering it's his only mid starting string he painfully needs it. The move would be incredible if he can cancel it as a 10 frame starting mid, low string that is safe on block is amazing.

The damage on his projectiles are fine. Considering he is not focused around zoning and they both lead to krushing blows. (Which the requirements are likely to change in the future)

If any move should be basic it should be his taunts. Albeit they aren't very useful but it's iconic to his character.

His F4 being an overhead will result in some nerf and I already enjoy this move. As being +6 on block is a blessing in this game.

The only move that I would seriously buff would be his Earth Shatter. It makes zero sense why you would want a special that restands but knocks away your opponent mid-screen and is punishable on hit in the corner.
Because b3 is highly unsafe on block and it is not cancelable. Kotal's f2 is 22f and is a mid. Why SK's f2 got shafted?

I agree.

He is a boss like character but normalized. Goro's projectiles were more damaging than the rest of the cast in MKX. Why SK got shafted again?

Historically speaking you are correct.

Regarding f4 why it would be OP if it was an OH? Its not a combo starter and it has a 28f iirc. That was the same case as Goro's f4 in MKX. It was slow, it was a mid attack before it was changed into an OH, plus on block and it was a combo starter in the corner.

I dont even use earth shatter.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I think i may have found a safe way to use dark priest buff. If we finish any combo with 212 we SHOULD have enough hit adv to safely do the hammer buff, plus the fact the opponent is sent full screen.

Edit: nvm he gets punished for a split second....

Last edited:

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
I think i may have found a safe way to use dark priest buff. If we finish any combo with 212 we SHOULD have enough hit adv to safely do the hammer buff, plus the fact the opponent is sent full screen.
Yeah but dark priest lasts for so little time all they can do is zone you out for like 5 seconds

ty lewis

Noob
Doubt people will be able to punish correctly due to online lag input. Lol

Dark Priest buff being usable in a match will give that variation even more edge in terms of damage. Too bad the buff is only good for using the Krushing Blow. The damage that it applies to a standard combo isn't amazing.

Plus the fact that any KB Shao Kahn has will remove the buff so don't use reversal throw KB if you got the buff. You'll just make it disappear. Found it out while seeing if I could do reversal throw KB and annihilation KB in the same combo. It's a pity as it's likely to happen due to a person trying to punish Dark Priest.

Guy from combo thread showed that if your opponent is in the corner you can in fact combo KB throw into Annihilation's KB. However it has to be back to back.

Last edited:

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Hey dewds. Just started up with Shao Kahn after bailing on Cetrion due to her lack of useful mids and general mehness. I love Shao but I'm seeing the same problem with him: Lack of decent mids leads to having having a bitch of a time generating anything off successful downpokes, even his awesome D4, in response to opponents mashing downpokes or d2 in return. Options seem to be: 1) repeated downpokes. 2) throw. 3) F34 based off his fastest mid, but that doesn't lead to anything except a restand as despite what the frame data says you can't cancel it into anything useful. 3) F34 1+3is decent but -16 on block if they're NOT mashing d2/downpoke? Meh.

Am I missing something?

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
Seem to be having loads of success with SK and his instant hop overhead when playing the footsie game. Not sure whether the radius for all characters is the same, but the reach is exceptional making them respect the instant air overhead

ty lewis

Noob
Hey dewds. Just started up with Shao Kahn after bailing on Cetrion due to her lack of useful mids and general mehness. I love Shao but I'm seeing the same problem with him: Lack of decent mids leads to having having a bitch of a time generating anything off successful downpokes, even his awesome D4, in response to opponents mashing downpokes or d2 in return. Options seem to be: 1) repeated downpokes. 2) throw. 3) F34 based off his fastest mid, but that doesn't lead to anything except a restand as despite what the frame data says you can't cancel it into anything useful. 3) F34 1+3is decent but -16 on block if they're NOT mashing d2/downpoke? Meh.

Am I missing something?

Nope you pretty much got it. Lol

He doesn't have a lot of close range pokes. He is best played mid screen as a whiff punisher as his range with B3 and F2 is a little absurd. However If your opponent does something unsafe up close either go for a reversal punish throw for his KB or use standing 4 which leads to his most damaging combos.
Seem to be having loads of success with SK and his instant hop overhead when playing the footsie game. Not sure whether the radius for all characters is the same, but the reach is exceptional making them respect the instant air overhead
Yep. Shao Kahn's hop overhead is probably one of the best in the game. It's got pretty great range for it as well.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I've been wondering if the hop OH might be a reasonable choice for stopping downpoke mashing after hit as the kick one only has an 8-frame setup. Looks like it;s lab time.

The biggest problem for F2 is matchup knowledge as people pick up that F2 is a high pretty quickly and just try to bait it out. I'm less fond of B3 - the startup is so long that you have to be really onpoint with your punishes or get owned yourself.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
B3 is noooot that good..... leads to some decent combos but since it isn't special cancellable if they block it you cant go into a special for mixups or to be safe like you can with F2 or F4

what i've been doing with (some) success is once they low profile the F2 you can go for F4 for staggers or oki if it somehow hits

ty lewis

Noob
F2 can't really punish moves due to its long start up. Making it weak to not only low profiling but also flawless blocking. Only use B3 for whiff punishing at max range so it's harder to punish. Otherwise use shoulder charge to whiff punish if you're closer. Edit: actually you should probably use B2 to whiff punish if your closer. Seeing how it comes out 3 frames faster, is a low, and is -2 on block. (-7 if FB)

His hop overhead is one of the best in the game. It's got great range and comes out fast. Definitely use this in footsie wars.

At this point and time I think we should be looking for specific tech for certain matchups.

Something weird I noticed is that when picking Shao Kahn as a character to face against in practice mode one of his reversal attacks is YOU SUCK even if you play a variation that does not have the taunt. This probably means the taunt was originally suppose to be a part of his original kit instead of an optional special.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
F2 can't really punish moves due to its long start up. Making it weak to not only low profiling but also flawless blocking. Only use B3 for whiff punishing at max range so it's harder to punish. Otherwise use shoulder charge to whiff punish if you're closer. Edit: actually you should probably use B2 to whiff punish if your closer. Seeing how it comes out 3 frames faster, is a low, and is -2 on block. (-7 if FB)

His hop overhead is one of the best in the game. It's got great range and comes out fast. Definitely use this in footsie wars.

At this point and time I think we should be looking for specific tech for certain matchups.

Something weird I noticed is that when picking Shao Kahn as a character to face against in practice mode one of his reversal attacks is YOU SUCK even if you play a variation that does not have the taunt. This probably means the taunt was originally suppose to be a part of his original kit instead of an optional special.
Thats the name of the fatal blow.