What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Has pushback been added to Shao Kahn’s f4 on block? My friend uses him and doesn’t remember it being like that earlier in the game.

ty lewis

Noob
Been playing the hell out of him. His damage is pretty high. Simply using standing 4 in his combos is what leads to his bigger damage. (4, bf+3 MB, dash, 4, bf3 MB, dash, 4, db+1 deals 397.34) As much as I love F2, 1 it being two hits and one of them being a knock up scales the combo to where even a simple 1,2 jab string does a bit more damage.

True Kahn is definitely the better of the two tournament/ranked variations. As the other loses it's buff the very moment you are touched and the damage buff only effects moves that use his hammer. Outside of doing Annihilation KB in a combo True Kahn will be dealing more damage with it's own buff. Realistically though you're probably never gonna get the buff off anyway. True Kahn also has a much better projectile to use that has a krushing blow. Although trying to trigger it is a pain in the ass.

Shao Kahns taunt special gives two different special moves. Ridicule and Humiliate.

Ridicule reduces your opponents damage by 50% for 5 seconds. Humiliate increases damage done to your opponent by around 25% for 5 seconds. Neither go away on hit. Best set-up I found for them is (any normal, bf+3, dash, 2,3, taunt) knocks them a good bit away and activates. Might get punished against certain characters but if you did the damage reduction version the damage will more than likely be small. If you do manage to somehow pull off his damage buff and combo your opponent with the 397 combo I mentioned the damage gets up to 496.67. Course if your comboing your opponent you want to combo into your krushing blow while the taunt buff is active (Any cancelable normal, bf+3, dash, F3,4, 1+3 is the combo; if you do this starting with 4 your damage comes out to 508)

Course the main issue is that even though 4 is what leads to his most damaging combos it being high is a risk. So use it to punish unsafe moves on block. Otherwise use something safer like F3, F4, B2, B4. Use B3 if your at a distant and the person has whiffed. You can combo off it with bf+3 MB with proper timing.

Agilaz

It has begun
Anybody know if F34 not being cancelable is a bug? I'm pretty sure it has cancel frames listed, but I suppose they only apply to the grab extension?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
F3 is a safe confirmable mid on its own due to the massive cancel window so you can cancel late into amplified shoulder for full combo, that is pretty damn good. Also DB4 i have gotten to go over tons of projectiles and is safe on block so a good way in

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
PC so maybe it's a patch thing... My movelist shows F3,4 as being cancellable, but in sets last night I couldn't cancel it to save my life.

ty lewis

Noob
It's not just a PC thing. It's been confirmed through all ports that F3,4 cannot be special canceled. No one knows if this is a bug or intentional.

RIDICULE must be a default ability.

ALL ABILITY OVERLAPPING REMOVED, for the one or two moves Kahn has in this category.

FASTER RECOVERY AND LONGER EFFECT TIME FOR RIDICULE TAUNT, or made the same as his priest buff (otherwise no one will ever use his iconic taunts).

FASTER START-UP ON FATAL BLOW, because without his spear specials equipped, it's very finicky and unreliable to combo into his FB (and damage scaling kills / balances FB combo use anyway).

AMPLIFY OPTION ADDED TO PROJECTILES -- Seeking Hammers should pop-up for juggles; forward hammer stuns (even if only like Cage's nut punch and non-combable); air hammer returns to Kahn's hands and pops up target for an additional air hit; spear holds target in place for a follow up (should not be usable outside of combo and only at close range, because of its height, making any comboing rather difficult anyway)

ADD UPWARD SHOULDER CHARGE SPECIAL, because the only allusion to this trademark move is as a blink-and-you'll-miss-it animation during his FB -- Amplifying this move could make Kahn impale opponent from mid-air using his spear (as he does in his FB)

CHANGE INPUT FOR GROUND SMASH ABILITY to down, down (2, 2) , from the awkward and illogical back, down (4, 2)

CHANGE INPUT FOR AIR HAMMER THROW to down, forward (2, 6), from the unwieldy back, forward (4, 6)

In the current roster, Kahn is the coolest character in that game, by far (IMO :cool:)....HOWEVER, he has a lot of potential that feels like was slurred over in the hurry to get this game on shelves. To me, this opinion is proofed by the fact that the initial characters revealed (which Kahn was going to be the first of but wasn't ready at the time) seem so shallow now when compared to the later ones, esp. Skarlet, Baraka, Jade etc. I really hope they don't just get swept up in DLC profiteering, but that they revisit the exiting characters and improve them / build on their foundations... As many could use a fair bit of work to realise their potential.

Last edited:

ty lewis

Noob
found some weird bugs with his buffs/debuffs although it could be intentional.

-Upon activating any KB that Shao Kahn has, his buffs or opposing debuff will be removed. tested with KB throw, KB wrath hammer and KB spear string.
-The debuff will only effect the first hit of a fatal blow, after which it will be removed and your opponent will deal full damage for the rest of the fatal blow.

ty lewis

Noob
what even is this characters gameplan? no matter how i mix up his moveset, it just doesnt come together well.
He's a mid range character that has strong punish game. Opponents cannot whiff against him and get away with it when he has F2, B3 and B4. If they use an unsafe move on you, your main punish will be standing 4. However if you have proper timing you can go for his KB grab that requires you to land a reversal forward throw. The hard part is landing the shoulder charge afterwards.

His main pokes are B2, F3, D1, D4, and B4. B4 is probably one of his best moves. Long range for a sweep and -2 on block.

You want to stay a little outside of the poking range to make the best use of his long reaching normals. If you have the advantage you can go for a F4 which is +6 on block. Allowing you to go for a variety of options.

His combos are pretty basic but deal high damage. Similar to Jason in mkx. 4 is your main combo filler and you just loop shoulder charges. Combo ender is either Scum Grab or Annihilation depending on the variation you're playing.

If your far away and dealing with a zoning character a properly timed Hammer Lunge will jump over the projectile and punish the zoner. Or you can simply stay back and chuck spears in order to get his 12 1+3 KB string.

I got some stuff on my Twitter if you want to see videos. @SlinGnBullets

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
He's a mid range character that has strong punish game. Opponents cannot whiff against him and get away with it when he has F2, B3 and B4. If they use an unsafe move on you, your main punish will be standing 4. However if you have proper timing you can go for his KB grab that requires you to land a reversal forward throw. The hard part is landing the shoulder charge afterwards.

His main pokes are B2, F3, D1, D4, and B4. B4 is probably one of his best moves. Long range for a sweep and -2 on block.

You want to stay a little outside of the poking range to make the best use of his long reaching normals. If you have the advantage you can go for a F4 which is +6 on block. Allowing you to go for a variety of options.

His combos are pretty basic but deal high damage. Similar to Jason in mkx. 4 is your main combo filler and you just loop shoulder charges. Combo ender is either Scum Grab or Annihilation depending on the variation you're playing.

If your far away and dealing with a zoning character a properly timed Hammer Lunge will jump over the projectile and punish the zoner. Or you can simply stay back and chuck spears in order to get his 12 1+3 KB string.

I got some stuff on my Twitter if you want to see videos. @SlinGnBullets
what are all his KB's andhow do u get them?
also i play Kustum variations in this game, so what would be a good setup for Kahn?

ty lewis

Noob
what are all his KB's andhow do u get them?
also i play Kustum variations in this game, so what would be a good setup for Kahn?
If you want damage then pick up both skewered and spear charge. Last one will be wrath hammer. As his spear projectile is ass and has a horrible hitbox.

He has 2 strings with KB properties. One requires 3 spears to land afterwards you do the string. The other requires you to have activated your taunt and perform the string while the effect is active. (Issue is that the spear projectile is ass and the taunt has a long animation)

Wrath hammer's KB trigger is when you hit your opponent twice in a row with the first one being a counter hit.

Annihilation's KB triggers when used while Dark Priest buff is active. (It's dumb that it requires another special but oh well)

His best one is his forward grab KB. All you need to do is land a reversal punish. Meaning you need to grab them the very moment you're able to after blocking a move.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
so far my build for shaokahn is Skewer, homing hammer and air hammer, feel like it gives him some more utility, counterzoning and damage.

also, you forgot to mention how stupid shao kahns j2 is.

Last edited:

ty lewis

Noob
so far my build for shaokahn is Skewer, homing hammer and air hammer, feel like it gives him some more utility, counterzoning and damage.

also, you forgot to mention how stupid shao kahns j2 is.
Stupid as in good or bad? Lol

Hitbox is a little weird but it does decent damage. However his best comboable jump in is actually j3/4. You can do F2 after it or dash B2 if you want extra damage.

Agilaz

It has begun
They nerfed shao kahn. Are they fucking serious? Just like that, they killed the character. No real combo potential anymore. Thanks NRS!

I can't fucking believe this

Agilaz

It has begun
What!? Where?!
Amplified shoulder knocks them hella far away no, so you can't do anything after it midscreen.

I also saw some slight frame data tweaks, and they changed his forward throw KB requirement to getup/reversal throw without requiring a punish.

So yeah, random week 1 balance patch to nerf a character who really didn't need to be nerfed. Fuck this, and fuck NRS' balance team

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Amplified shoulder knocks them hella far away no, so you can't do anything after it midscreen.

I also saw some slight frame data tweaks, and they changed his forward throw KB requirement to getup/reversal throw without requiring a punish.

So yeah, random week 1 balance patch to nerf a character who really didn't need to be nerfed. Fuck this, and fuck NRS' balance team
That was what it was like pre-release. I think NRS fucked up with this patch and took the game back a version lmao