What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

RYX

BIG PUSHER
apparently doing a fatal or a krushing blow cancels your buffs btw, at least visually they all vanish so im assuming that means the buffs leave too

SeymorSlash216

Kahn Man
Okay so I do 4 Krushing Blows in every single tower fight, only to have the Kahn ladder requirement increase only by 1. Is this right or is this shit bugged?
It only counts the D2 kbs for whatever reason. The best way I've found to farm them is to find noob in a tower and spam D2 on him. He has a ton of highs and his tele is basically a free kb if blocked and punished with D2.

ty lewis

Noob
I played a really long set vs Noob last night with True Kahn. I don't know if I've played an NRS character where they nailed audio and animations so completely, that hammer is incredibly satisfying.

Same boat though - having a move point wasted by an essentially useless taunt sucks. I could see em maybe nerfing the taunt itself but making the recovery much more reasonable.

I also like B3 more than I originally did but your spacing has to be on-point. Also, kudos to those that recommended abusing hop attacks to punish downpoke mashing - that shiz is golden.
Your welcome.

His hop overhead i believe is one of the best in the game. However you still gotta be wary of using it as it is punishable on block, but it does force your opponent to actually stand up and block instead of crouch blocking everything.

You guys also need to abuse B4 more. It's got amazing range for a sweep, is -2 on block and sets up His F4 on hit, which is +6 on block. Which is key for his pressure.

Hey I did a krushing blow where the guy was laying down and Kahn stabbed him in the face with the spear but I have no idea how i did it and can’t find anything on it. The only ones that show up are the 5 everybody talks about. Any help?
The only krushing blow that uses a spear is his 1,2,1+3 string after landing 3 Merciless Spear projectiles.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Played about 10 sets or so last night. Even though it's a bit of a struggle, I do have the most fun playing this character.

Also, I'm really making hay with his standing 1 as an anti-air. It works best from just beyond mid-range.

After connecting a standing 1 anti-air, you have plenty of time to dash in and hit 4 into his various MB Shoulder combos. It's pretty satisfying.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Your welcome.

His hop overhead i believe is one of the best in the game. However you still gotta be wary of using it as it is punishable on block, but it does force your opponent to actually stand up and block instead of crouch blocking everything.

You guys also need to abuse B4 more. It's got amazing range for a sweep, is -2 on block and sets up His F4 on hit, which is +6 on block. Which is key for his pressure.

The only krushing blow that uses a spear is his 1,2,1+3 string after landing 3 Merciless Spear projectiles.
That’s what I keep seeing but it’s not that one. I use that all of the time. There was another I did on accident.

I’m wondering if it was an interactable, like a spear laying on the ground or something. I’m pretty sure it was my custom spear though. Maybe it’s tied to a move not in the tournament variations so nobody cares lol.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
That’s what I keep seeing but it’s not that one. I use that all of the time. There was another I did on accident.

I’m wondering if it was an interactable, like a spear laying on the ground or something. I’m pretty sure it was my custom spear though. Maybe it’s tied to a move not in the tournament variations so nobody cares lol.
There is a spear through the face interactable on the tarkatan stage?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
It seems we can safely use the dark priest buff after a full screen spear on hit. That seems the only legit way of activating the hammer buff atm.

Hey I did a krushing blow where the guy was laying down and Kahn stabbed him in the face with the spear but I have no idea how i did it and can’t find anything on it. The only ones that show up are the 5 everybody talks about. Any help?
You dont mean the 1, 2, 1+3 KB right?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
It seems we can safely use the dark priest buff after a full screen spear on hit. That seems the only legit way of activating the hammer buff atm.

You dont mean the 1, 2, 1+3 KB right?
Nope it was the tarkatan stage interactable. Shit came out of nowhere and I have never used that before so it surprised me lol

RYX

BIG PUSHER
what are you guys doing to open people up? I've been trying to use short hops more on knockdowns/after f4 once people start respecting the low poke frame trap, but I feel like this is a really messy risk:reward I'm playing with

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
what are you guys doing to open people up? I've been trying to use short hops more on knockdowns/after f4 once people start respecting the low poke frame trap, but I feel like this is a really messy risk:reward I'm playing with
if they know whst they’re doing, you don’t get to open them up.

your best bet is to either do f4 frametraps (d1, maybe f3 if they don’t respect it at all) then once they start respecting that enough do throw or walk back sweep into more mixups that only give like a 10% reward

welcome to shao kahn :(:

Gaxkang

Banned
F4 blocked and then D1 can work as mentioned yeah...

I do a manual mixup involving B4 and his hop overheads on someone's wakeup that sometimes works quite well on some folks. Watch out for the wake up moves tho...a further mixup of that is getting them to waste their wakeup by making them think you will bash them again.

In one fight on someone's wakeup I managed to do F3 4 1+3 on them.

With his air hammer throw feigning a jump in and throwing the hammer might score a hit on someone.

Many people still get hit by a meter burned hammer lunge after blocking the first hit, even in the same fight when they should recognize it. People who do tho...don't do it then heh.

There just isn't a lot to do. Playing Shao you have to be like real careful all the time and outplay while watching out for crutches other characters can pull out.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I played another long set with this character last night vs. a friend who's maining Noob. I don't think he's adjusting to MK11 very well yet because I'm bodying him footsie-wise, but like others have said here it's just feels like smoke and mirrors and taking risks when they adjust to your main tools (B4, F4, etc).

Has anyone found any real/consistent use for Ground Shatter? I've been playing True Kahn almost exclusively for Wrath Hammer and, especially with my friend's tendency to mash downpokes, I've been having a hard time justifying it due to the currently useless taunts and a Ground Shatter I can't do much with. It seems pretty pointless since it's only +5 on hit, which means that if the opponent is any distance away you're not getting any pressure out of it. Thoughts?

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
I'm looking to make a custom variation, what are the best moves in your opinion? Because I just started with him and some moves seems pretty similar...

Wetdoba

All too easy...
This character feels better the more i play with him. I have completely replaced d4 in neutral with sweep as it is just better in every way. Better range, only -2 on block, and knocksdown. If you want to contest shao after it when it hits it forces them to use meter and shao already outspace wake ups like crazy

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Yea
This character feels better the more i play with him. I have completely replaced d4 in neutral with sweep as it is just better in every way. Better range, only -2 on block, and knocksdown. If you want to contest shao after it when it hits it forces them to use meter and shao already outspace wake ups like crazy
Yea its really good I've been catching everyone offguard with B4. On knockdown I bait a wake up and sweep em again lol n if they block I just down 1 into grab or F3. But dont sleep on D4 it has its uses

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Yea

Yea its really good I've been catching everyone offguard with B4. On knockdown I bait a wake up and sweep em again lol n if they block I just down 1 into grab or F3. But dont sleep on D4 it has its uses
I am mostly using d4 in the corner to jail into follow up S1, S2, S4s. Either 14xxhammer lunge if i think they wont block for meterless combo, 212 for safe block string, or 44 for plus frames. Also love to abuse short hop 2 in the corner, it has more range than most wake ups so mix that with sweep and all other options and hes crazy in the corner when he can space everything for free.

But yes sweep into sweep is 100% legit, its the ultimate conditioning tool

ty lewis

Noob
B4 is best used to set up his F4 as it gives you 28 frames which is the exact amount you need for the F4 to hit as it has 28 frames of startup.

after F4 you can do a variety of things. wasting your +6 frames on a D1 jab is bad. When you can do B2, Hop overhead, F3, B4, you can do 44 if you read that they'll block for extra pressure. You can even throw them.

because D4 has a faster startup than B4 it's better to use at point blank. after landing it midscreen you can use B4 as they'll be knocked back at the perfect distance. Note that D4 will lose out to D1's most of the time due to it being a couple frames slower.

This knowledge is old though.

ty lewis

Noob
I played another long set with this character last night vs. a friend who's maining Noob. I don't think he's adjusting to MK11 very well yet because I'm bodying him footsie-wise, but like others have said here it's just feels like smoke and mirrors and taking risks when they adjust to your main tools (B4, F4, etc).

Has anyone found any real/consistent use for Ground Shatter? I've been playing True Kahn almost exclusively for Wrath Hammer and, especially with my friend's tendency to mash downpokes, I've been having a hard time justifying it due to the currently useless taunts and a Ground Shatter I can't do much with. It seems pretty pointless since it's only +5 on hit, which means that if the opponent is any distance away you're not getting any pressure out of it. Thoughts?

It's not smoke and mirros. B4 is absurdly good but you have to be prepared for when opponents are expecting you to do it. That's when hop overheads and throws come in. You can't just rely on a low to carry you.

Ground shatter is pretty much useless. even if you're close enough to them in a corner you can get punished because the recovery is so slow. It's only "use" is for a mix-up with the 14 string.

Wrath hammer is honestly the only reason to play True Kahn. It's such a good projectile but I don't think it justifies the other two abilities that are pretty much useless. Risen Emporer however has a lot more uses.

If your friend is a D1 masher just block D1 him back and do the F34 string. If you hit a D1 you are at +10 frames of advantage there is no excuse for letting him getting away with more crouch pokes. B2,B4,and F3 will all beat him out if you do this. Learn your frames man.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
Any real difference between the taunt dmg buff and priest?

I thought id like to play true kahn, to you know... "you suck" at people... well that doesnt work at all. So playing risen.
However, if you do the front grab brutal, you get a end of match "you suck"

Anyone notice if that end of match taunting makes people prematurely end the set? Just had one player quit on me after, maybe coincidence tho./