What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

Gaxkang

Banned
Incidentally, I know Ridicule is a damage debuff but does anyone know what Humiliate does exactly?
I believe it debuffs opponents defense, so they take more damage.

His taunts should really have super armor or something so they'd be more useable.

Wish he could like armor thru projectiles like Bane, too.

ty lewis

Noob
Incidentally, I know Ridicule is a damage debuff but does anyone know what Humiliate does exactly?
Ridicule is a 50% damage reduction debuff on the opponent. Humiliate is a 25% damage boost. Sadly both seem impossible to setup but if you "could" set-up for humiliate then Shao Kahn would be pretty damn scary. Lol (just his standard BnB pushes to 50% damage with humiliate on)

I found that Hammer Lunge is just not worth doing unless you're getting zoned. The move can be anti-aired by any normal easily. Don't use it against a better player up close. You'll get punished if they know the match up.

ty lewis

Noob
Has anybody ran into any unfavorable matchups so far? I feel like Kollector and kabal are headaches for Kahn rn
Considering his issues I imagine he is gonna have a lot of bad matchups. He can have a bit of trouble with zoners but at a distance he can counter zone with spears and if they land he can get his KB with 1,2, 1+3.

His real bad matchups though are gonna be rushdown characters who exceed up close Like Jax.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Has anybody ran into any unfavorable matchups so far? I feel like Kollector and kabal are headaches for Kahn rn
Just by looking the character select screen i predict his bad matchups will be the following:

Kabal
Geras
Probably Erron Black
Jax
Sonya
Kitana
Skarlet
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Noob Saibot
Johnny Cage and pretty much the whole cast.

HAMMER

Noob
Shao Kahn needs:

a) More damage to his moves/combos and specials, he is the Emperor right?
b) Shoulder Charge should always have full armor, make it more punishable on block if that's too strong tastes.
c) His projectiles should be quicker.
d) Give him better OH/Lows.
e) Give his "taunts" better start-up/recovery; or, as said above, give full armor on them so he can actually do them.
f) His "Hammer Throw" should be as it was in MK9. Fully armored, big damage, and stunning the opponent!
g) His uppercut should do 180.00 instead of the standard 140.00 and be a mid.

Anyone agree?

Shao Kahn sucks big dick. I used him to start but dropped him quickly.

My opinion doesn't really mean shit though, I have only played v. the CPU.

I'm just aggravated they neutered this guy like they did Goro in MKX.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Just by looking the character select screen i predict his bad matchups will be the following:

Kabal
Geras
Probably Erron Black
Jax
Sonya
Kitana
Skarlet
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Noob Saibot
Johnny Cage and pretty much the whole cast.
From the 600 games ive played . The zoners who have projectiles he cant get over with Hammer Lunge, like kitana and kabal are tough. But people like scorpion , sub zero or even noob, where he could play his mid range neutral game he does fine. Shao Kahns Shoulder Charge punishes alot of normals and projectiles that others cant so people are going to have to respect him cuz he hits hard . The only issue I have right now is how slow his Dark priest starts up tbh.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
One thing I will say for Shao. I do believe he is a low tier character, although nowhere near the "worst in the game" like some would say. I think he's a very playable low tier character. Like yeah you gonna struggle, but he's got tools, even if a lot of his moveset is broken like buffs/priest/uphammer being trash.

D4, f4, F3, b2, f21 is a decent toolkit to work with.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
One thing I will say for Shao. I do believe he is a low tier character, although nowhere near the "worst in the game" like some would say. I think he's a very playable low tier character. Like yeah you gonna struggle, but he's got tools, even if a lot of his moveset is broken like buffs/priest/uphammer being trash.

D4, f4, F3, b2, f21 is a decent toolkit to work with.
Name me one character who is worst than him. Probably Cetrion and i m only mentioning her cause of the downplaying i have heard from around here. Who else? Jade?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
From the 600 games ive played . The zoners who have projectiles he cant get over with Hammer Lunge, like kitana and kabal are tough. But people like scorpion , sub zero or even noob, where he could play his mid range neutral game he does fine. Shao Kahns Shoulder Charge punishes alot of normals and projectiles that others cant so people are going to have to respect him cuz he hits hard . The only issue I have right now is how slow his Dark priest starts up tbh.

If you want dark priest buff, finish your combos with 212. You have enough hit advantage most of the times to activate the buff. Unfortunately there isnt a complete safe way to activate the buff, but 212 is the safest way to do so atm.

ty lewis

Noob
What's weird is that Shao Kahn has amazing corner carry....Like...the best in the game and yet when he does get them in the corner there is legit nothing extra he can do. He has no unique corner BnB combo. Only thing you can do that's unique to the corner is combo both throw and annihilation KB in one combo but that's kinda niche.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Shao Kahn reminds me of Sheeva in UMK3... ranked fairly low on most tier lists, but in the right hands could be devastating.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Sheeva was just a troll pick due to the characters unblockables. Lol

Shao Kahn on the other hand is an honest character. If you mess up then you're getting punished. His worst feature is his lack of pressure.
Agreed. Seems like the best defense in this game is a good offense, and his sloth pace without pressure hurts him.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
why the fuck is the primo dirtbag of MK games playing so honest? Where's the dirt? Where's the cheap shots? I feel like I got ripped off, I went and played a few other characters in the towers just to pass the time and it was like a completely different game.

absolutely embarrassing how low-depth both the kahns are, even worse I still can't stop playing them

all I rly want for shao is for taunt to be base + recover faster, or at least have a meter burn to recover faster and for the priest summon to recover faster w/ the delay before buff being the same. I don't even mind the other gear moves being kind of weak, honestly, but the fact that he needs these buffs set into play just to do comparable damage to the other heavy hitters, and that even doing a launcher canceled into either buff will still get you wakeup full combo punished, feels like his number one big issue for me

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
why the fuck is the primo dirtbag of MK games playing so honest? Where's the dirt? Where's the cheap shots? I feel like I got ripped off, I went and played a few other characters in the towers just to pass the time and it was like a completely different game.

absolutely embarrassing how low-depth both the kahns are, even worse I still can't stop playing them

all I rly want for shao is for taunt to be base + recover faster, or at least have a meter burn to recover faster and for the priest summon to recover faster w/ the delay before buff being the same. I don't even mind the other gear moves being kind of weak, honestly, but the fact that he needs these buffs set into play just to do comparable damage to the other heavy hitters, and that even doing a launcher canceled into either buff will still get you wakeup full combo punished, feels like his number one big issue for me
Preach! Kano makes Shao Kahn look like a Sesame Street character in this game as far as being a dirtbag. Lol

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Okay so I do 4 Krushing Blows in every single tower fight, only to have the Kahn ladder requirement increase only by 1. Is this right or is this shit bugged?

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
After I'm done with Noob's last character tower I want to try Shao Kahn, don't care about tiers he just looks so awesome.

I don't plan on playing ranked cause I want to use Kustom variations, could a good soul give me a small summary of his abilities and which are the unmissable ones?

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I played a really long set vs Noob last night with True Kahn. I don't know if I've played an NRS character where they nailed audio and animations so completely, that hammer is incredibly satisfying.

Same boat though - having a move point wasted by an essentially useless taunt sucks. I could see em maybe nerfing the taunt itself but making the recovery much more reasonable.

I also like B3 more than I originally did but your spacing has to be on-point. Also, kudos to those that recommended abusing hop attacks to punish downpoke mashing - that shiz is golden.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Hey I did a krushing blow where the guy was laying down and Kahn stabbed him in the face with the spear but I have no idea how i did it and can’t find anything on it. The only ones that show up are the 5 everybody talks about. Any help?