What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Here's my biggest Q. The buffs/debuffs in either variation, really neat on paper. However on on this earth do you manage to get one off in a real match without dying. Every setup I can think of I am still like, -20 at best and thats a free punish for half the cast at most distances.

SK has been my fave character besides Havik for a long time, loving this guy a lot but man I'm struggling against a decent zoner, any pointers / tech would be great.

Aside from that the character feels great, except for the low profiling, and that stubby as hell f3 haha.

Pandamoniumz

Don't Listen, Save Money
Here's my biggest Q. The buffs/debuffs in either variation, really neat on paper. However on on this earth do you manage to get one off in a real match without dying. Every setup I can think of I am still like, -20 at best and thats a free punish for half the cast at most distances.
This is the NRS classic. They always start with buff / debuff's being unusable, and then patch them up into usability. Guess they are just being cautious. Saw the same thing with Ferra / Torr Pain and Gain.

On another note, I've been using the taunt variation and found some (maybe) useful stuff that I haven't seen mentioned here. In the corner you can end combos with bd4 for a restand (Something like starter x ex shoulder -> 4 x db4). Also since a lot of Shao's enders midscreen tend to launch people super far, i've been ending stuff with b4 sweep to keep them close. Can do starter x ex shoulder -> jump 2 -> b4 and it does decent 1 bar damage compared to a dedicated special ender.

His frames are looking pretty good. +3-on-block standing 1, 9 frame mids, 10-frame low, lots of lows and overheads in his strings. His hammer lunge is an overhead that’s only -7 on block, so he’s going to have some pretty tricky safe overhead/low mixups that lead to combos, though I assume there will be a gap on block.
Good to note @karaokelove I plan on using him as my main for competitive matches and I am memorizing all of his frame data now and yes, you are right his frames seem pretty good and solid across the board for the most part at least from what I’ve memorized so far such as his Standing 1 which is plus 3 on block which from what I’ve seen in other NRS games doesn’t happen very often a standing 1 is normally plus 2 or plus 1 on block if it’s plus at all. Correct me if I’m wrong @karaokelove that’s just been my experience with the characters I play.

@karaokelove do you play on PS4? If so, I’d love to play matches with you and maybe do some online practice mode with you and figure things out together that way we can contribute to this amazing community of outworld emperors here in the Shao Kahn Forums lol.

Agilaz

It has begun
Sooo...anybody manage to trigger his forward throw KB?

I'm convinced it's broken. Like, actually broken in the sense I can't get it to work

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Sooo...anybody manage to trigger his forward throw KB?

I'm convinced it's broken. Like, actually broken in the sense I can't get it to work
For some reason when you do this grab after block or after wake up it seems to do it backwards even if you press forward. I´ve done it in practice mode 1/15 times more or less. It´s bugged

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@IvyisBae1 Sure thing, feel free to send a friend request to twitchkaraoklove (no e between the k and l because playstation sucks).

Agilaz

It has begun
For some reason when you do this grab after block or after wake up it seems to do it backwards even if you press forward. I´ve done it in practice mode 1/15 times more or less. It´s bugged
I never had that issue, I can consistently do a forward throw as a reversal or as a getup.

Come to think of it, I have my KB's set to hold check on. Maybe I'm supposed to hold BOTH forward and throw? Will mess around after dinner

I never had that issue, I can consistently do a forward throw as a reversal or as a getup.

Come to think of it, I have my KB's set to hold check on. Maybe I'm supposed to hold BOTH forward and throw? Will mess around after dinner
I've only been able to land it as a reversal punish, but I'm on PC which doesn't have the latest patches. Just doing it as a getup or reversal or even a getup punish doesn't trigger it.

Agilaz

It has begun
I've only been able to land it as a reversal punish, but I'm on PC which doesn't have the latest patches. Just doing it as a getup or reversal or even a getup punish doesn't trigger it.
This is actually the answer. It has to be a reversal punish, and it'll trigger.

Follow up with amplified shoulder into something something

I equiped taunts just to taunt at the finish him screen. No need for them otherwise :coffee:
Actually @NothingPersonal yes, you do actually get benefits from them otherwise. I’m not sure if your aware but if you can setup the taunt properly I’m pretty sure you at least get 2 buffs from his two separate taunts 1 of them being you do 10% more damage with all of his hammer based attacks. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s one of his buffs from the taunt or maybe i’m mistaken and it’s the move where he has his dark priest assist out not 100% sure

Pc will get the patches later? Is that normal for NRS games? This is my first NRS launch on pc after years on console so please excuse my question!

Okay so someone can correct me on this but kahn is pretty much free to Upper Cuts I noticed that there's not really much he can do against them
Only f3 starter is mid hitting (and b2 I think?), and 2nd hits of f2 and s2 strings. I've been experiencing a lot of low profiling, poke outs and uppercuts in close range - so yeah I agree with you, it's frustrating but in close range all your normal stuff seems to be free for a d2.

Just need to work on spacing for the most part, f21 has stupid good range and catches a lot of people, 21 starter has more range than people think too, especially the low 2nd hit.

If you're just talking about a blocked d2, I'll need to take another look but I think b4 has enough range and is fast enough to use as a reversal, it just doesn't lead into anything- but I'm sure there are other options too

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Only f3 starter is mid hitting (and b2 I think?), and 2nd hits of f2 and s2 strings. I've been experiencing a lot of low profiling, poke outs and uppercuts in close range - so yeah I agree with you, it's frustrating but in close range all your normal stuff seems to be free for a d2.

Just need to work on spacing for the most part, f21 has stupid good range and catches a lot of people, 21 starter has more range than people think too, especially the low 2nd hit.

If you're just talking about a blocked d2, I'll need to take another look but I think b4 has enough range and is fast enough to use as a reversal, it just doesn't lead into anything- but I'm sure there are other options too
That's probably my biggest problem is I'm treating him like a rush down character and use them more as a space control

That's probably my biggest problem is I'm treating him like a rush down character and use them more as a space control
Yeah so did I at the beginning. One thing I found useful is whiffing the s2 in mid range and following up with the low second hit, its range and low property takes alot of people by surprise.

He's a lot of fun, but outside of his huge space control I haven't found much dirt with him as yet, he doesn't really have an effective low/overhead mix up to threaten with, but things like s2 into db4 (even though it's a high starter) can kinda work as a 50/50. One thing I want to test next is what is guaranteed after a blocked f4.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
He's a lot of fun, but outside of his huge space control I haven't found much dirt with him as yet, he doesn't really have an effective low/overhead mix up to threaten with,
Space control is the thing. He probably isn't gonna be anything other than mid tier in the end but he isn't awful. Everything he wants to do is safe(unless you are a dummy with shoulder charges), certain strings can punish you for trying to take your turn too quickly, like 12 1+3, where it gives you enough of a gap to attack but not enough of a gap for any attack to succeed so you can just 1,2 hitconfirm and every now and then on block do 1+3 and catch someone trying to hit a button on you cause its "their turn"

f21 is the longest range normal string I know of that can lead to full combo, leap is safe on block(with good pushback to boot so you can walk out of strings) and combos in the corner.

I was really high on up wrath hammer until I figured out the enemy can always just down2 and trade not in your favour :(

So far shao is about as honest as honest gets, you will with through good spacing and proper buttons

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Just right now Shao is basically in the "he's 1 patch away from being good" kinda zone. As it stands currently he won't be able to excel. Sure he can do fine but for a lot of people "fine" ain't good enough.

Both variations basically have a dead move in the buff/debuffs cause there's no possible way to get them right now(unless you know something and please enlighten me) on anyone with a functioning brain, even if you try to sacrifice combo damage and end a combo early canceling into a buff you are still like -25 right by the enemy.

Up hammer could be a lot better if they minimized the gap so you couldn't uppercut/perfect block it. Like enough for them to try to hit a button but not enough for them to do much. I thought this was his best move until I explored it further(due to the perceived pressure power I thought it had) but now I know it will get you killed for trying to use it.

If shao could even do like Old Kotal, do move whiff into air grab, then either be less negative, or plus on a few things that would be a big help.

So yeah Shao alright, but nothing special right now.