What's new

SFxT Discussion Thread

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
With a better net code, (I assume) bigger community, online training mode, no FGC hate towards it (As its Capcom), can MK survive this? The online numbers are dwindling as it is.
Even 3rd strike players are accepting that SF x T is the new hot game. Whats going on D:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I know, it seems to have gone from a complete joke of a game to the best thing ever. Perhaps Capcom just have a really good marketing team.

I'm surprised SF3 players are liking it as I thought they were the cream of the 'just frame' link crowd and looked down upon anything easier, especially alpha style chains.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
im thinking of buying one of the sfxt sticks along wiht it, all depends on how much they cost.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I know, it seems to have gone from a complete joke of a game to the best thing ever. Perhaps Capcom just have a really good marketing team.
Ever since the big names in FGC said gems weren't so bad once they got their hands on the game, the reception seems to have done nothing but go uphill.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
My teams are Guile/Ogre and Bison/Kazuya

cant wait to bust insane combos!! Tell you the truth this is what mk9 shouldve been, hopefully MK can add more to the combo system

NKZero

Noob
My teams are Guile/Ogre and Bison/Kazuya

cant wait to bust insane combos!! Tell you the truth this is what mk9 shouldve been, hopefully MK can add more to the combo system
Wow I was also thinking of Bison/Kazuya. I think the other team I might try out is Paul/Steve

zee

Icy
Ever since the big names in FGC said gems weren't so bad once they got their hands on the game, the reception seems to have done nothing but go uphill.
I can't get over that gem glow, lol. If there's any way to turn it off or to diminish the effect, I'd pre-order this game in an instant. It's too Happy Bunny Marvel Christmas-y for me.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I can't get over that gem glow, lol. If there's any way to turn it off or to diminish the effect, I'd pre-order this game in an instant. It's too Happy Bunny Marvel Christmas-y for me.
The gem system is fine, they stay active for like 20 seconds max and none of them are OP to the point where you are going to see a cookie cutter gem setup, they should just reflect your team and your playstyle.
Gems that could have been broken, like auto block and auto tech-throws will AUTOMATICALLY drain your meter on activation, so if you accidentally dont hold block you will lose 1 meter instead of like a pokes worth of hp, and the other ones like easy inputs will reduce your damage by like 10-20% ... give it a chance :D

Reactions: zee

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Got the chance to play SFxT over the weekend. Thoughts:

-I love Jin. And Ryu is so godlike.

-The lack of focus attacks brings back the classic SF feel to the game sorta. You can actually pressure with normals and not eat a focus attack to the face. I enjoyed the game much more than I thought simply because of that. Game is way more footsies-intensive.

-That said, the walkspeeds are really, really bad. Only thing I've hated so far.

-Links have a very weird timing. It's really slow, but the windows are huge. I've yet to encounter a link that I felt I HAD to plink to get it to work.

-Although I didn't get to play with a customized set of gems, from what I could see, I barely noticed the effect of the gems. Actually, I didn't notice them at all.

-Although you can tag out, it's really hard to do so safely. I felt like even though the option to do so was there, it's too unsafe, and can end up meaning that character loses 50% and has to deal with further pressure. It's possible to win rounds with the opponent being straight up stuck on their point character.

-The cross rush is useful in a sense as pressure defense, but the damage you get for using it is so balls in comparison to using links and juggles, that it's not that big a deal mostly.

-Pandora is so situational, it's just about never useful. It's a comeback mechanic that will see a VERY small amount of use.

-Throw range is godawful lol.

Game's good.

Got the chance to play SFxT over the weekend. Thoughts:

-I love Jin. And Ryu is so godlike.

-The lack of focus attacks brings back the classic SF feel to the game sorta. You can actually pressure with normals and not eat a focus attack to the face. I enjoyed the game much more than I thought simply because of that. Game is way more footsies-intensive.

-That said, the walkspeeds are really, really bad. Only thing I've hated so far.

-Links have a very weird timing. It's really slow, but the windows are huge. I've yet to encounter a link that I felt I HAD to plink to get it to work.

-Although I didn't get to play with a customized set of gems, from what I could see, I barely noticed the effect of the gems. Actually, I didn't notice them at all.

-Although you can tag out, it's really hard to do so safely. I felt like even though the option to do so was there, it's too unsafe, and can end up meaning that character loses 50% and has to deal with further pressure. It's possible to win rounds with the opponent being straight up stuck on their point character.

-The cross rush is useful in a sense as pressure defense, but the damage you get for using it is so balls in comparison to using links and juggles, that it's not that big a deal mostly.

-Pandora is so situational, it's just about never useful. It's a comeback mechanic that will see a VERY small amount of use.

-Throw range is godawful lol.

Game's good.
Hmm all of that is pretty good to hear.

I think walkspeed being bad is to help out the tekken side overall. This overall makes it important to hold your ground since its harder to gain it back.

What I love is the whole getting knock down and fighting a 50/50 vortex over and over again. You could of done everything right, get knock down once and lose. SFxT getting rid of that makes me happy.

So far I think the best gems is generally defense gems. It can drop 50% combos down to 35%~ which in this game is good.

Yeah they made tags very unsafe because I think they want you to encourage offensive tagging rather than defensive tagging. Whiffing moves building meter heavily supports this design.

I'm really hoping this game is back to 3s quality of play (without the chun/yun/ken tiers).

Has anyone figured out how to unlock mm or pac or are they on disc dlc? I see them there but can't highlight them

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Got to play some SFxT at Final Round. The game definitely plays similar to SF4, but completely different at the same time. The canceling and linking feels different. If you played SF4 you'll definitely have an advantage but at the same time you can't play it like SF4 once people start learning how to play it correctly. All I can say is it's one of the most fun fighters I've played in awhile, also 2v2 > 1v1 imo.

Got to play some SFxT at Final Round. The game definitely plays similar to SF4, but completely different at the same time. The canceling and linking feels different. If you played SF4 you'll definitely have an advantage but at the same time you can't play it like SF4 once people start learning how to play it correctly. All I can say is it's one of the most fun fighters I've played in awhile, also 2v2 > 1v1 imo.
I wouldn't say SF4, more like basic street fighter fundamentals. But this game takes things to a higher level. For instance Ryu's cr. forward is normally super abuse-able due to its hitbox and only really gets stuffed by shorts/cr. shorts, but in SFxT you can take that to a whole new level by going cr.short->forward->RH into a launcher. Footsy/spacing now play a real important role and none of this whole "i can abuse this button because its so good".

This guy is playing around with the DLC characters live on stream (spoiler): http://www.twitch.tv/sfxtekken2

Oh, Capcom.. You greedy bastards have done it again! :)

I don't really care tbh, the roster is already so big and the game looks so fun that I have no problem paying a few extra bucks for locked content on the disk. Kinda wish they stopped lying about it though..

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This guy is playing around with the DLC characters live on stream (spoiler): http://www.twitch.tv/sfxtekken2

I don't really care tbh, the roster is already so big and the game looks so fun that I have no problem paying a few extra bucks for locked content on the disk. Kinda wish they stopped lying about it though..
They have to pay out to MS and PSN when they put up DLC, be it patches hotfixes or character colours, if they could fit what they have so far on the disk then why not. Im sure they havent finished working on those characters, or balancing the game, which is why you dont see the character in the select screen. Money grabbing or not, its their game and i will buy it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I also forgot to mention.

DPs are very weak in this game. It has to hit extremely deep for any chance of no trade. It kinda sucks.

But yeah, it's like SFIV in some parts. When playing, it doesn't feel like it at all.

Not really greedy capcom. More like that is how the industry is nowadays. Every major game has dlc locked on disc. Deadspace 2, dragon age 2, mw3, bf3, sc5, mk9, asscreed, amalur, final fantasy 13-2, jc2, batman etc etc you can find the list will be very big if you really want to look.

Its actually the industry standard to budget for the retail game and have set budget for dlc. Because after the game is release the team is already working on a new project and not just chilling. I mean people like to believe they feel entitled to everything made for the game, but its not like capcom didn't explicitly say the number of characters in the game. You're getting exactly what you're buying. In the old days before, the character probably wouldn't have ever been made and would just be stuck in a computer somewhere never to see the light of day.

I mean yes its shitty, but that is how the whole industry works. You either accept it or don't play games.

inb4 capcom fanboy defense
p.s MK9 had their whole dlc lineup (minus freddy) publicly known before the game was even release. Capcom isn't the only one guilty of this practice.

Hey, there's plenty of suckers on the planet so it would be pretty stupid not to exploit them. :)

I didn't say I was mad at Capcom for doing it.

Like I said on SRK, there was I time where I used to pay 100$ for cartridges with 10 times less content and less quality and it was still worth every penny for basically 200 hours of entertainment. Now people don't want to pay more than 20-30$ for triple A games that cost 40 million to make. It's a little ridiculous...

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
After some considering, I think I'll wait this out. I'm kinda still miffed at Capcom for being a prick to Mega Man fans and their outdated business practices.

If this gets good reviews and people are still praising it after a month, I'll pick it up. I'm glad that focus attacks are out though.

I also forgot to mention.

DPs are very weak in this game. It has to hit extremely deep for any chance of no trade. It kinda sucks..
Yeah I noticed that when they made the walkthrough video for Cammy. When I saw Cammy's cannon spike being stuffed by Ryu's jumping roundhouse I was like: wat. :confused: That seems also true for normals. A lot of times they tried to show what normals would work best as anti-air and it only seemed to work like 50% of the time.

I think they did that to help casual players (easier to jump in on people and get some offense started) and to encourage air to air combat instead of simple ground anti-airs.

"Jump ins" will now be an actual threat people will need to respect and anticipate. Could be interesting. I don't really care tbh because my main has probably the best anti-airs in the game. :cool:

Yeah I noticed that when they made the walkthrough video for Cammy. When I saw Cammy's cannon spike being stuffed by Ryu's jumping roundhouse I was like: wat. :confused: That seems also true for normals. A lot of times they tried to show what normals would work best as anti-air and it only seemed to work like 50% of the time.

I think they did that to help casual players (easier to jump in on people and get some offense started) and to encourage air to air combat instead of simple ground anti-airs.

"Jump ins" will now be an actual threat people will need to respect and anticipate. Could be interesting. I don't really care tbh because my main has probably the best anti-airs in the game. :cool:
I think its more to encourage aggressiveness. Before in any other SF you never jumped unless it was a safe jump because you would get dp or normal anti-aired. If they trade it means most of the time the situation is set to neutral rather than the defensive player coming out ahead. Of course there is that exception if the trade allows the defensive player to combo off that trade.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The only reason I'm mad about the DLC is because I wanted to use Cody at release, but I'm not mad enough to like boycott or anything lol.

I'll have the game at midnight tonight, hit me up on XBL!