What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

freerf245

11 11 11 11
How are you guys approaching the neutral game with Robin? Always like to hear or read.. how other players approach things.

I tend to dance in and out of peoples most effective range looking for a whiff punish with a b21 hit confirm (B3 after DB2mb 100% down woo) to get things started or at least irritate the opponent. But then again I'm assuming that's what most of my fellow Robin players are doing.
Birdarang characters with shitty neutral. Other than the whiff punish with b2 and s2. Against zoners use a lot of mb roll. Robins is real good.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Why are people respecting b21 bird or 212 bird? It's really frustrating to watch high level competition do this
Because the game is new and people don't know yet. Regardless, blocking birdarang isn't such a bad thing. There's no meaningful mixup or pressure that follows.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Because the game is new and people don't know yet. Regardless, blocking birdarang isn't such a bad thing. There's no meaningful mixup or pressure that follows.
I'd believe that if it wasn't pro play. People not labbing stuff like b13 lantern for gl or b21 bird for Robin is annoying when I hear everyone saying lab the Deadshot MU

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I hate when b3 just doesn't come out and Robin just watches the character fall in front of him like "Yeah, I spent a bar on that."

I hate when 2 lands at what seems like a perfect height and they fast fall before the 12.

I hate d2.

I hate how many matchups mb roll is a necessity.

I love Robin.

What are you guys doing against Aquaman? He wins at the range Robin usually wants to be, and he has a good wake up so that soils a lot of Robins offense.

I tend to do what I do against practically the whole cast and that's receive a beatdown.

Starting to find it harder and harder as the competition gets better, where they know where the gaps are. I'm fine against Deadshots so far but Supergirl is giving me a fair amount of trouble in regards to breaking through her defense and getting myself an opening. I just need to get better at baiting a normal for me to go for. I don't feel like I stand too much of a chance up close but I think that's more down to me being new to NRS games (Which I can't say I'm enjoying, as much as I love Robin)

I should put more time into learning the neutral and understanding everything as I feel cluless at close range.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I tend to do what I do against practically the whole cast and that's receive a beatdown.

Starting to find it harder and harder as the competition gets better, where they know where the gaps are. I'm fine against Deadshots so far but Supergirl is giving me a fair amount of trouble in regards to breaking through her defense and getting myself an opening. I just need to get better at baiting a normal for me to go for. I don't feel like I stand too much of a chance up close but I think that's more down to me being new to NRS games (Which I can't say I'm enjoying, as much as I love Robin)

I should put more time into learning the neutral and understanding everything as I feel cluless at close range.
I don't think it's you. It's just this character. Spacing is extremely important, but I've been getting most of my damage when impatient players overextend or when I backdash and my opponent tries to do a medium ranged, slow string. If you're patient and/or a zoner, you just mop up Robin. Point in case being Combo Breaker. Hayatei made it extremely far on pure match up unfamiliarity. Most of his damage (from what we could see) was from him getting a stray hit and people not knowing how to deal with 212 birdarang. That and mb sword dance.

Once people learn to punish the gap or wait for the mb and just poke, that won't happen anymore either. When he ran into Biohazard's Harley, it was free af. He couldn't get in or open her up. Hell even Compbros came dangerously close to beating him. If he hadn't gave away all that damage trying to wake up through 212 birdarang and actually reacted to birdarang full screen with canary cry, he probably would've won too.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
There is no reason for anyone to get impatient against Robin. He has to chase the game 90% of the time. Every now and again he can put in work in the corner but other than that expect to be chasing the magical whiff.

I think at this point we get it. If you don't think he's worth playing then GTFO let the people that want to play him discuss.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I don't think it's you. It's just this character. Spacing is extremely important, but I've been getting most of my damage when impatient players overextend or when I backdash and my opponent tries to do a medium ranged, slow string. If you're patient and/or a zoner, you just mop up Robin. Point in case being Combo Breaker. Hayatei made it extremely far on pure match up unfamiliarity. Most of his damage (from what we could see) was from him getting a stray hit and people not knowing how to deal with 212 birdarang. That and mb sword dance.

Once people learn to punish the gap or wait for the mb and just poke, that won't happen anymore either. When he ran into Biohazard's Harley, it was free af. He couldn't get in or open her up. Hell even Compbros came dangerously close to beating him. If he hadn't gave away all that damage trying to wake up through 212 birdarang and actually reacted to birdarang full screen with canary cry, he probably would've won too.

I don't think robin is the character for you bro. Simply put, nothing more to say.

I think you should just let the SG do his thing she doesn't do that much damage and sooner or later he will try to get in and hang himself up close Robin give SG a hard time never let b12 fly u can punish it 100% of the time with d12 and get a full combos you just need to be patient and make the SG come to you

Tweedy

Noob
I'd believe that if it wasn't pro play. People not labbing stuff like b13 lantern for gl or b21 bird for Robin is annoying when I hear everyone saying lab the Deadshot MU
There's probably hella stuff like that in the game that you would get gimmicked out by. It's early, impossible to know every gimmick. Just because you focus on Robin and know what's up about him, doesn't mean that everyone else will.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
There's probably hella stuff like that in the game that you would get gimmicked out by. It's early, impossible to know every gimmick. Just because you focus on Robin and know what's up about him, doesn't mean that everyone else will.
I'm not saying that at all. It's just when you go into a tournament I expect the top players to try and suss out some of these gimmicks. Hell if it keeps hitting you in tournament lab it at the casual stations afterwards or something like that. Like it's not like the characters people play are hidden. If you know you have Hayatei in your pool, then lurk the Robin forums and lab the character a bit.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I don't think robin is the character for you bro. Simply put, nothing more to say.
Show me how good he is then. I've yet to see anyone win with anything more than early game gimmicks that won't last. I'm dropping the game competitively (for now) for this exact reason though. There is no character in this game for me. The top tiers are boring and the fun mid tiers have too hard a time to deal with top.

Last edited:

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Made a thread about it in the general forum, but since its best benefit is for Robin figure give a quick post here.

I am sure probably most of yall know about it but just incase. I am sure for those unaware you notice when walking backwards with robin he gets slow as all living hell. You can feather hitting back(slow enough not to trigger backdash) and stutter step backwards much, much faster than walking, while still maintaining ability to jump/block/attack unlike dashing.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Show me how good he is then. I've yet to see anyone win with anything more than early game gimmicks that won't last. I'm dropping the game competitively (for now) for this exact reason though. There is no character in this game for me. The top tiers are boring and the fun mid tiers have too hard a time to deal with top.

There's no way to convince you with that attitude. I'd point out Hayateis CB experience, but it'd be "no one knew the match up". Raptor has tons of footage on his YouTube page of him playing high level.

I agree with u though, that the top tier don't have to work as hard. I do believe that is the case right now, but I enjoy a challenge personally.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab

This is pretty much what I've been saying bro. I've got over 1000 games in now and I've been doing my practice and research, I don't think I'm missing too much. Against zoners who are relentless or players who are patient and know the match up Robin simply loses. I don't want to underplay what Hayatei did at combo breaker and stuff but watching those matches, he did get away with a whole lot more than he should have. He caught people in some sick whiff punishes and stuff but Robin really doesn't have any real pressure which is desperately needed in a character of his nature if he's not going to have 50/50s outside of trait. The trait can be super useful but it's ruined so easily by someone who is wise to it.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
So I'm experimenting with ending combos with f2d3u2 and using birdarang asap and it's completely safe against firestorms flame charge AND birdirang hits unlike 212xxbirdirang ender.

Might be the go to against chars with strong wake ups. Of course trait is safe as well off of this ender.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
There's no way to convince you with that attitude. I'd point out Hayateis CB experience, but it'd be "no one knew the match up". Raptor has tons of footage on his YouTube page of him playing high level.

I agree with u though, that the top tier don't have to work as hard. I do believe that is the case right now, but I enjoy a challenge personally.
Imo Hayatei's CB experience is very telling of where this character is at. Like I explained in an earlier post, Compbros had no idea about the match up and played it terribly, and still almost managed to win. One reaction to Hayatei's full screen birdarangs with canary cry would've done it. Bio was smart and picked a good zoner and Hayatei was instantly at a loss. That's exactly my issue with the character. From what I've seen, Robin players are getting away with much more than they should. Once people figure out this character, he won't be able to compete with the current top tiers. Simply because it's so hard to open people up.

I've been messing around with his trait and in the corner it seems reasonably good, but I wonder how much of that is still a gimmick atm. The best Robin I've probably seen so far has been Kaju, but even that's hard to judge because he was playing Godspeed who refused to block high when it was most obvious and wasn't used to the match up. Time will tell, I guess.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
So I'm experimenting with ending combos with f2d3u2 and using birdarang asap and it's completely safe against firestorms flame charge AND birdirang hits unlike 212xxbirdirang ender.

Might be the go to against chars with strong wake ups. Of course trait is safe as well off of this ender.
I've been looking for a way to do this. Glad you found it.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone

Can you explain how you're using this exactly? Like after which combos. I tried this and I wasn't able to get the birdarang out without being punished by his wake up. It must be pretty tight.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Can you explain how you're using this exactly? Like after which combos. I tried this and I wasn't able to get the birdarang out without being punished by his wake up. It must be pretty tight.
StarterxxDb2mb, b3, J2, F2d3U2

Then yes, it's pretty tight getting birdirang out but I can get it 9/10 after only an hour in the lab.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
StarterxxDb2mb, b3, J2, F2d3U2

Then yes, it's pretty tight getting birdirang out but I can get it 9/10 after only an hour in the lab.
And now for the million dollar question. What happens if the opponent (long) delays wake up? I'm all for setups, but I think it's gonna become less useful when people start learning how to deal with them. Ending in J3 212 birdarang still seems like the best middle ground between damage and setup.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
And now for the million dollar question. What happens if the opponent (long) delays wake up? I'm all for setups, but I think it's gonna become less useful when people start learning how to deal with them. Ending in J3 212 birdarang still seems like the best middle ground between damage and setup.
I'll test against both delay wake ups as well as wake up backdash after I get my daughter fed and Ill post back.

Edit: This setup unlike 212xxbirdarang beats regular delay wake up, wake up specials, and wake up backdash. Long delayed wake up avoids the batarang, but does sacrifice the ability to wake up with buttons and you can apply "pressure."

Last edited: