What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

Fayaz

Superman and I disagree
I wish 212 landed a bit more consistently. Second hit whiffs a lot
Might be late to this, but what's helped me is I've noticed that they need to be way higher off the ground to get 212 to work. Its a fast first input, but that 1 in 212 takes so damn long to come out with the theatrics

Explain please?
Got a lot of zoning tools. Command grab at all distances. Better ranged normals. Good pushback after combos. Trait removes a portion of the floor (your only tool to get around really). I would say its a pretty bad matchup but not unwinnable.

My biggest issue with him has been starting an offensive. He seems way too whiff punish heavy until his setups can start. Getting in isn't easy and one mistake and you're back to having to struggle your way in again. But that's been my personal assessment of him.
For a dude with a huge sword, he sure gets beat a lot from distance. I think in another thread I saw it said he just has awful priority which I agree with. Idk what you're using for offensive strings but I always in neutral use 21 since its a fast normal, a mid, and is pretty easy to hit confirm into 212xxWhatever. Downside is I'm pretty sure there's a gap between the 21 in 212? Not entirely sure but that would definitely be an issue.

Last edited:

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Might be late to this, but what's helped me is I've noticed that they need to be way higher off the ground to get 212 to work. Its a fast first input, but that 1 in 212 takes so damn long to come out with the theatrics

Got a lot of zoning tools. Command grab at all distances. Better ranged normals. Good pushback after combos. Trait removes a portion of the floor (your only tool to get around really). I would say its a pretty bad matchup but not unwinnable.

For a dude with a huge sword, he sure gets beat a lot from distance. I think in another thread I saw it said he just has awful priority which I agree with. Idk what you're using for offensive strings but I always in neutral use 21 since its a fast normal, a mid, and is pretty easy to hit confirm into 212xxWhatever. Downside is I'm pretty sure there's a gap between the 21 in 212? Not entirely sure but that would definitely be an issue.
I'm happy more people are finally starting to see my issues with the character. I've decided to drop him until he's changed in a meaningful way. How do you play footsies with slow ass normals if you can't even give other characters a reason to come at you? It makes zero sense.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
swamp thing is one of robins worst MU's IMO
I'd have to disagree. Robin can contend in the neutral with him, most of swamp things full screen neutral options can be crouched and have tons of recovery. Which means getting birds out in the neutral isn't much of an issue. This combined w swamp things horrible wake up game make it pretty easy to bully him on wake up.

In the games I've had w @EMPEROR_KNICKS while he still wins the sets they're usually pretty close. I'd be confident in saying its 5-5.

Batman and Atrocitus though. Different story. Although I still need more lab time

I'd have to disagree. Robin can contend in the neutral with him, most of swamp things full screen neutral options can be crouched and have tons of recovery. Which means getting birds out in the neutral isn't much of an issue. This combined w swamp things horrible wake up game make it pretty easy to bully him on wake up.

In the games I've had w @EMPEROR_KNICKS while he still wins the sets they're usually pretty close. I'd be confident in saying its 5-5.

Batman and Atrocitus though. Different story. Although I still need more lab time
I feel atrocitus isnt that bad once you figure out where to pushblock so you dont have to take that ridic 50/50 haha.

But swamp thing is bad IMO b/c yes we can easily duck his full screen move but that still doesnt give me enough time to throw bird out before he does another one to stop the bird before hitting. Also robins best range is around the tip of his b2 but swamp thing can easily blow that up with log or command grab. This is just my experience with him.

I'm happy more people are finally starting to see my issues with the character. I've decided to drop him until he's changed in a meaningful way. How do you play footsies with slow ass normals if you can't even give other characters a reason to come at you? It makes zero sense.
Same haha I played ronin and shin rai Takeda in mkx. They werent the best starting out but a few minor tweaks made them really good in the end. Hoping they do the same with robin. I like the idea behind him but it just seems like robin gets nothing from his "godlike neutral" *rolls eyes*. Play patient to get in then normals too slow to punish or start pressure then you get tagged and sent fullscreen or into a mixup where you have to find the gap and d1 out. I'm playing dr fate now I refuse to struggle in this game. I play FANG in sfv def dont want that type of problem again.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Same haha I played ronin and shin rai Takeda in mkx. They werent the best starting out but a few minor tweaks made them really good in the end. Hoping they do the same with robin. I like the idea behind him but it just seems like robin gets nothing from his "godlike neutral" *rolls eyes*. Play patient to get in then normals too slow to punish or start pressure then you get tagged and sent fullscreen or into a mixup where you have to find the gap and d1 out. I'm playing dr fate now I refuse to struggle in this game. I play FANG in sfv def dont want that type of problem again.
I definitely agree with the "godlike neutral" lmao. Hayatei is telling me he's high tier, just below top. I told him to show me at Combo Breaker. We'll see if people know the match up and if he makes it out of pools...

Fayaz

Superman and I disagree
You don't play footsies, is what I do. I literally go all in all the time and right now I'm not sure we have any other options lol. Whats the point when there's chances they hit my sword and that counts as an extension of my body? So I always just to keep the pressure on and try to never let us get into neutral space. Obviously much harder to do it than just say it

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
You don't play footsies, is what I do. I literally go all in all the time and right now I'm not sure we have any other options lol. Whats the point when there's chances they hit my sword and that counts as an extension of my body? So I always just to keep the pressure on and try to never let us get into neutral space. Obviously much harder to do it than just say it
How are you supposed to pressure when everything is -5 at least? 212 trait "pressure" isn't a thing because your only good options (d1 or d12) from there set you back to -5 again. Robin has no pressure.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
How are you supposed to pressure when everything is -5 at least? 212 trait "pressure" isn't a thing because your only good options (d1 or d12) from there set you back to -5 again. Robin has no pressure.
Thank you. I felt like I was the only person who saw that robin has no pressure. Not to mention his molasses start up.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
It's an abusive relationship with this character, to be honest.

He has a ton of issues and I feel like he truly excels at little, but I still don't like anyone else in the roster as much as him. The struggle.
This. I'm moving to Batman. Even though my Batman is buns, I'm still doing much better than with Robin and have a much easier time overall.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
The character is garbage. He's my absolute favorite on the roster and I can't seem to find his niche. What does he excel at? His setups seem completely ignorable between delayed wake ups and literally a plethora of other options.

I could write a guide on this character in seconds. Pick another character.

It's an abusive relationship with this character, to be honest.

He has a ton of issues and I feel like he truly excels at little, but I still don't like anyone else in the roster as much as him. The struggle.
Damn, I couldn't agree with this more. I got a handful of pocket characters to deal with Robin's bad MU's but I can't commit to anyone other than Robin. I'm not one to cry for buffs or nerfs but when the first patch comes out and he gets any sort of nerf, I don't see how I can continue with him.

Glad it's not just me that's seeing crazy struggle with this character. Love Damien in the comics and was hoping he'd be solid but...man, I can't get ANYTHING going with him

How are you guys approaching the neutral game with Robin? Always like to hear or read.. how other players approach things.

I tend to dance in and out of peoples most effective range looking for a whiff punish with a b21 hit confirm (B3 after DB2mb 100% down woo) to get things started or at least irritate the opponent. But then again I'm assuming that's what most of my fellow Robin players are doing.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Batman is real terrible for Robin. Swoop whiffs, he gets zoned out hard, can't stop j2, batman can parry his gaps, etc. Only chance Robin has here is getting him in the corner tbh.