What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

freerf245

11 11 11 11
If we can get birdarang to punish wake ups it will be huge. His corner game is already strong enough if we have to worry less about wake ups he may be a real deadly character.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Imo Hayatei's CB experience is very telling of where this character is at. Like I explained in an earlier post, Compbros had no idea about the match up and played it terribly, and still almost managed to win. One reaction to Hayatei's full screen birdarangs with canary cry would've done it. Bio was smart and picked a good zoner and Hayatei was instantly at a loss. That's exactly my issue with the character. From what I've seen, Robin players are getting away with much more than they should. Once people figure out this character, he won't be able to compete with the current top tiers. Simply because it's so hard to open people up.

I've been messing around with his trait and in the corner it seems reasonably good, but I wonder how much of that is still a gimmick atm. The best Robin I've probably seen so far has been Kaju, but even that's hard to judge because he was playing Godspeed who refused to block high when it was most obvious and wasn't used to the match up. Time will tell, I guess.

You have to look at the reverse as well though, Hayatei had no idea how to deal with Canary and almost lost. He got hit by some super gimmicky stuff.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
You have to look at the reverse as well though, Hayatei had no idea how to deal with Canary and almost lost. He got hit by some super gimmicky stuff.
So did you. Not using canary cry to counter all the birdarangs being thrown was really huge. Towards the end of the set you had the right idea of walking about, but couldn't capitalize because of that.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I'll test against both delay wake ups as well as wake up backdash after I get my daughter fed and Ill post back.

Edit: This setup unlike 212xxbirdarang beats regular delay wake up, wake up specials, and wake up backdash. Long delayed wake up avoids the batarang, but does sacrifice the ability to wake up with buttons and you can apply "pressure."
212 birdarang does beat wake up backdash too though. This could be very useful for some match ups, but I wonder how big the damage difference is between j3 212 and this.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
So did you. Not using canary cry to counter all the birdarangs being thrown was really huge. Towards the end of the set you had the right idea of walking about, but couldn't capitalize because of that.
I didn't say I didn't, but you can't paint the picture of hayatai almost losing despite me not knowing the matchup without including that hayatai won in spite of not knowing the matchup. It works both ways.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I just went 16-20 with Tom Brady's Aquaman and he DID know the match up. No crazy gimmicks. Just playing the game and havin an understanding of what I can and can't do.

Did I win the set? No. But it still shows Robin can be a strong character if played correctly.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I just went 16-20 with Tom Brady's Aquaman and he DID know the match up. No crazy gimmicks. Just playing the game and havin an understanding of what I can and can't do.

Did I win the set? No. But it still shows Robin can be a strong character if played correctly.
Any footage by an chance?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons

How did that MU play out? I feel Robin gets out ranged by Aquaman hard so getting anywhere near him is hard due to from the deep and range

EMPEROR PRYCE

How did that MU play out? I feel Robin gets out ranged by Aquaman hard so getting anywhere near him is hard due to from the deep and range
B2 is godsend, it out ranges all of aquas buttons except his big overhead.

Also reversal bird from FtD I'd strong. He can quick fire a second one to punish you, but there's a mindgame that I enforce to punish it. If he FTDs, block the first one and reversal MB roll, if he quickfires the second one block and punish with db2 (he can't trait out because launch). This will make him think twice before he quick fires them. If he doesn't do the second FtD immediately then it won't punish bird and you'll gain neutral space that way.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

This is what I really like to see. I'm extremely interested in Robin, and it's nice to see some less doom and gloom stuff on here occasionally and a positive outlook.

I'm not contradicting any of the guys/gals talking sbout the Robin struggle, that's not my place, I don't play the character yet. (Labbing him some today though) I'm just saying a positive outlook is super nice and it's good to talk about what can be done instead of just what can't.

I just wish Robin wasn't so damn EDGY in story mode. His whinging almost ruined him as a character for me lol.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing you do well at tournaments.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Does Robin's sword DP have any different properties on block depending on whether he MB's it late or earlier? It's pretty wild that you can MB it so late.

EMPEROR PRYCE

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing you do well at tournaments.
Not my aspirations to compete right now. Nothing I wanna talk about here but I'm currently struggling w depression and the game is definitely a release for me to express myself and getaway from real life.

Anyways, I still think Robin is a very strong character. Anything id suggest as buff/nerf would be fixes, mostly dealing with Swoop and how inconsistent it is on crouching characters. Fixing MB swoop to work as intended would allow him safe pressure that leaves him in his effective range if blocked.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I can't post it right now because I'm on my phone but Hayatei posted a 30% meterless combo from an 8 frame punish

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Not my aspirations to compete right now. Nothing I wanna talk about here but I'm currently struggling w depression and the game is definitely a release for me to express myself and getaway from real life.

Anyways, I still think Robin is a very strong character. Anything id suggest as buff/nerf would be fixes, mostly dealing with Swoop and how inconsistent it is on crouching characters. Fixing MB swoop to work as intended would allow him safe pressure that leaves him in his effective range if blocked.
Sorry to hear that man. He is strong, but there are some things I really feel hold him back a lot. Once the current tops tiers get taken down a notch, I think he will definitely be a viable character that can win a lot if you're willing to put in the work.

EMPEROR PRYCE

Sorry to hear that man. He is strong, but there are some things I really feel hold him back a lot. Once the current tops tiers get taken down a notch, I think he will definitely be a viable character that can win a lot if you're willing to put in the work.

Check out my latest vid above your post. It helps w delayed wake up-ers. Lol

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hey guys I'm trying to learn how to Robin, is it best to always end in 212 birdarang?

Also for the trait is it always best used mid combo for a set up, is it best to throw it out in the neutral, or is it just dependent on an individual player's style?

Also is there any use for the tele trait? I think it's ass

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Hey guys I'm trying to learn how to Robin, is it best to always end in 212 birdarang?

Also for the trait is it always best used mid combo for a set up, is it best to throw it out in the neutral, or is it just dependent on an individual player's style?

Tele trait is kinda ass but it has some fun and super ginmicky setups.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs

212~Birdarang ender is most popular, mostly due to it being a halfway point between damage and setups. There are other options such as BF3 restand and F2D3U2~Birdarang. Guys like @EMPEROR PRYCE and others are leading the charge with tech and set ups at the moment, uncovering more and more each day.

Trait is mostly used in set ups at the moment. Most successfully in the corner with red trait as it give Robin a true 50/50. You can find a lot of Robin trait tech on YouTube. Again, Pryce's videos are full of great stuff.

Teletrait is mostly good for closing distance quickly at the moment. Not overly reliable in certain cases due to start up of the teleport but can be used. There is potential for crossups of sorts on oki I guess but not much else.

I've probably missed some stuff but I'm pretty fresh with Robin and don't understand the finer aspects of some stuff yet.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Iv been trying to use him as a spacing/whiff punishing character, but he feels weird to me. His range is awesome, but all of his mids are pretty slow, anyone who has similar range to Robin is hard to me. What strings do you guys typically use as staggers also?