What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Is Robin any good?
I've only really lost to one robin and it was player match with gear.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Is Robin any good?
I've only really lost to one robin and it was player match with gear.
He's not exactly pick up and play but he is pretty fun to use. Has some nice set ups with birdarang sand trait, giving him some dirty corner game.

You definitely can't expect to be stomping people without putting in the work first.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Tele trait is godlike as long as your playing against a character that can't d1 out of 212
212 tele is like +1ish from my testing
So if you have it behind them 212xtelexd1d2etc.

Reauxbot

Whose agood Robin player to watch? Robin looks fun at the least. Other than that he sucks.

Adorkable_Psycho

Hands Quicker Than The Eye Boi!
Whose agood Robin player to watch? Robin looks fun at the least. Other than that he sucks.
Pig has a couple sets against good Robin players on His YouTube channel. One set against Lord of the Fly and The other against Kaju. Both played pretty well.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Red Raptor is godlike at every fighting game he plays, Hayati just made top 8 at CB, and Emperor Pryce has those nightwing fundamentals from the previous injustice working for him

SoV N3RO

G.O.A.T Robin
Idk if I've shared any of my Robin combos/setups/tech so here is some off of my Twitter (@N3RO_FGC)
https://twitter.com/N3RO_FGC/status/867591346760167424 - Fucking around with setplay on Joker's Funhouse.
https://twitter.com/N3RO_FGC/status/866470003188674560 - Corner 50/50 setups (forgot to turn on tourney mode when I was in training mode so the dmg is NOT accurate)
https://twitter.com/N3RO_FGC/status/864263740774121472 - Potential 100% dmg setplay
https://twitter.com/N3RO_FGC/status/864245807230451712 - Teleport Birdarang tech

Recon

Noob
I'm new to injustice, but played the first one a little. the annoying thing with robin is his zoning is bad, his counters to zoning are bad. he isn't plus on anything so no frame traps. so what exactly does he excel at? the birdrang stuff is fun but that only happens after you hit them.

he feels like "walk duck block the game"

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I'm new to injustice, but played the first one a little. the annoying thing with robin is his zoning is bad, his counters to zoning are bad. he isn't plus on anything so no frame traps. so what exactly does he excel at? the birdrang stuff is fun but that only happens after you hit them.

he feels like "walk duck block the game"
Definitely an uphill battle against opponents who know what they're doing. At the moment his best stuff comes from trait set ups I think. If Robin can get you in the corner then you're in trouble.

He does have some struggles but he also has swag so it's pretty even at the moment

Vagrant

Noob
So his air normals are cancellable into divekick on whiff. This allows you to cover a few different spots from a single jump and alter your trajectory after you've already stuck out a button. Obviously an opponent can blow it up if they know for a fact that it's coming but I think this is pretty interesting in neutral.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Sigh. Reading this forum is depressing sometimes.

I don't think Robin is garbage by any stretch. Is he top 5-8? Probably not unless there is some silly tech I'm not aware of, but just because a character isnt top 10, doesn't mean they're garbage.

I think he should be buffed though. I'd like to start by making his trait infinite. Use it whenever I want. Have more than one out at a time. Make all strings at least +5, increase damage, my poverty 470~ damage one BnBs (I don't do optimal because I'm bad) need to crest 550 and I really feel like every time I force someone into guessing a mixup, I shouldnt lose the bar, hell I shouldn't have to spend one at all, I should GAIN one, and I should probably be + enough to just keep going.

I feel like these reasonable and well thought out changes will allow Robin to essentially do whatever he wants whenever he wants with literally no downside or weakness or anything. This should put him about mid tier. I just wish he'd be as good as joker. Whoooo that character is just plain ole broke.

He doesn't need crazy buffs by any stretch. It'd be nice if the opponent had a reason to block low. I'd like to have the second hit of d1d2 be a low instead of mid. If Deadshots b1 is a low than why can't this be a low. I'd also like birdarang not go away on hit but I'm dreaming on that one. His footsie game and damage are on point though!!

Reauxbot

I take it Robin is like the best whiff punisher in this game or something.
Is that where he mostly excels?
I'm not sure what else he does.
No type of zoning. Or mixups. Not much speed.

I would argue that BA and AM are just as good If not better whiff punisher add Superman too

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Robin has a mix up game but it's not a strong one. Using b21/b12 into bomb bird gives you the mix up of bomb, b2 bf3 or f2d3 into launcher. Not strong but it does add a layer for your opponent to be aware of.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
I love robin BUT if you are looking for a range character with good buttons maybe consider looking at scarecrow instead of lil bird.

Some thoughts from my day 1 Robin in relation to this thread.

Robin is definitely a brute force character overall like Superman. Not super hard to block and needs to just relentlessly follow the game plan until they mess up. I think everyone here is looking for a free can opener with this character and that is not how he plays. However, once he hits, then he gets his mix ups in. A lot of research has been done on block what this character can do but I hear very little about on hit resets and trait set ups. Like d12 giving you free everything on hit, but people are so quick to just burn meter and do his bnb.

Neutral - his trait is quite good and easy to get out in neutral against non zoners. These characters typically are footsie or rush down. His trait helps deal with both since the low bomb is quite large and prevents walking to an extent. His walk speed is really good if you use the burst walk speed against zoning. He has by far been one of the easiest to walk down a character with with the exception of maybe cat woman.

Striking Range - his intended strength. I think it is pretty fair that he does not have an immediate safe 50/50 from this position. He does have his d3 which I think most players undervalue. Considering the alternative is his overhead that leads to 300 meterless with set up and is safe hit confirmable. If you did have a trait out already he is threatening. People tend to want to counter poke etc. which is great since you will typically gain damage here.

Match ups- to be clear we have to talk match ups when considering strengths. play them report them, have other robin players play them and observe. That is the fastest way to learn to be honest. Some characters come out the box easy to play and get results. Some you have to have extensive match up knowledge then become dominant. Match ups matter the most, if I have the lowest tier character but he goes 5-5 with Aquaman then I am fine playing against aquaman. Really the only match ups you should currently be concerned with are losing ones and specifically lab those out with multiple players. No not just the "best" aquaman because you will get used to their habits/rhythm.

Concerning the Hayatei results because lack of knowledge etc. That is what tournament is. People bring new stuff all the time, it is an advantage yes. Do not discount the player/character because of this. In that case, one of you people complaining should have top 8 somewhere but you do not. Do you really think a good player like him would have continued to use those strings/setups if he did get punished? Tournament play is about knowledge, but more importantly it is processing your current knowledge that is important and using it. He had knowledge that they were not punishing it so he abused it like a good tournament player should. There are few players that know all the frame data and in addition the match ups when we have such a large roster. Will Robin be weaker as the game lives on or stronger. You will never know if you all drop him in the first month.