What's new

Regarding the "KL is now Jade tier comment"

To be honest Lao's only bad match up is Kitana. And thats only because she beats out his pressure on block, and his 2 wiffs. When he has :x, it all changes again.
I also think the Sonya MU is not as bad as people say. OK, she can outzone him, but up close he can pressure her well, and she needs to be so careful when he has x-ray.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Roll beats everything lawl.
I'm being serious. Any of the smart KL players make it super impossible to fight jax against them. Jax's holes in his strings screw his gameplay up. And because of that he has to rely on countering KL's pokes and getting grabs and zoning him which is hard to do.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
I also think the Sonya MU is not as bad as people say. OK, she can outzone him, but up close he can pressure her well, and she needs to be so careful when he has x-ray.
dont be ridiculous. yes she outzones him, then what do you suggest KL does? pressure with what exactly? a bunch of strings that whiff on crouch? all if which are outranged by her d4? while facing one of the games most rushdown heavy characters complete with a brutal mixup system supported with armored special moves? yeah pressuring sonya is so simple

might i add that personally i dont believe pressuring sonya with kl is the key to winning at all. ive had most success bait and punish and trying hard to anti air, backing off and throwing a hat now and then, stepping in and out of jump distance waiting for the moment to strike like a coiled snake ready to snap its fangs

dont be ridiculous. yes she outzones him, then what do you suggest KL does? pressure with what exactly? a bunch of strings that whiff on crouch? all if which are outranged by her d4? while facing one of the games most rushdown heavy characters complete with a brutal mixup system supported with armored special moves? yeah pressuring sonya is so simple
It's not simple, but it's not impossible.

The fact that she outzones him becomes irrelevant with the threat of teleport. OK, she can uppercut it, but if she starts to throw rings without thinking he will blow her up. Kung doesn't have to take any risks from full screen away, since she doesn't have a fast way in.

Yes, Sonya has armor, but he has it too, and he has a 6 frame launcher that will beat her if she starts being too predictable with her pokes/strings. So she has to be careful and respect spin.

Both of them have to take risks in this match. Remember, not everything Sonya does is safe.

It's not good for Lao, but not terrible either. If Sonya has an advantadge, it's a 5.5.4-5.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
It's not simple, but it's not impossible.

The fact that she outzones him becomes irrelevant with the threat of teleport. OK, she can uppercut it, but if she starts to throw rings without thinking he will blow her up. Kung doesn't have to take any risks from full screen away, since she doesn't have a fast way in.

Yes, Sonya has armor, but he has it too, and he has a 6 frame launcher that will beat her if she starts being too predictable with her pokes/strings. So she has to be careful and respect spin.

Both of them have to take risks in this match. Remember, not everything Sonya does is safe.

It's not good for Lao, but not terrible either. If Sonya has an advantadge, it's a 5.5.4-5.
KL has one tool against sonya. spin. you cant zone, you cant pressure, you are lucky to get a teleport against her low hitbox and her fast uppercut, you cant easily advance because of d4. what you can do, is spin, and thats it. wait, bait, punish. she must approach kung lao for kung lao to win. sonya is almost unapproachable. i know, i tried at the prom, and she shut me down in front of everyone.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Imo, Kung Lao never left the top 5.

He has all the tools. The best mobility, one of the best anti-airs/counters, good damage, good projectiles, teleport etc.

People were freaking out with his nerf, but the only way he'll ever be bad is if they remove some of his specials or make them really slow or something like that.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm being serious. Any of the smart KL players make it super impossible to fight jax against them. Jax's holes in his strings screw his gameplay up. And because of that he has to rely on countering KL's pokes and getting grabs and zoning him which is hard to do.
But Jax's hitbox and armor moves limit Kung Lao's offense too, which is why I fail to see how Kung Lao beats Jax. From my experience, most Kung Lao players would like to avoid fighting Jax (and Cage, Kitana, and Sonya) in tournaments. If any Kung Lao player wants to fight CD Jr.'s or Tyrant's Jax to prove me wrong, be my guest. I will concede that I am wrong if the matchup is indeed in Kung Lao's favor.

By the way, the low hat has admittedly been toned down a lot. The nerf is tied with Skarlet's dagger cancel as the two biggest nerfs in the game. The nerf affects Kung Lao in gameplay aspects other than 2,4 xx low hat spam. Pre-patch zoning with Kung Lao was really, really good and d+4 xx low hat was excellent. I think he is barely top 10, especially because he has to fight a couple of popular tournament characters who happen to be his tough match ups.

Kung Lao is definitely top 10, maybe even top 5. His spin is still amazing, his f3 is amazing, his teleport can still be devestating, he arguably has one of the best X-Rays in the game... There's very few faults with the character.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
But Jax's hitbox and armor moves limit Kung Lao's offense too, which is why I fail to see how Kung Lao beats Jax. From my experience, most Kung Lao players would like to avoid fighting Jax (and Cage, Kitana, and Sonya) in tournaments. If any Kung Lao player wants to fight CD Jr.'s or Tyrant's Jax to prove me wrong, be my guest. I will concede that I am wrong if the matchup is indeed in Kung Lao's favor.

By the way, the low hat has admittedly been toned down a lot. The nerf is tied with Skarlet's dagger cancel as the two biggest nerfs in the game. The nerf affects Kung Lao in gameplay aspects other than 2,4 xx low hat spam. Pre-patch zoning with Kung Lao was really, really good and d+4 xx low hat was excellent. I think he is barely top 10, especially because he has to fight a couple of popular tournament characters who happen to be his tough match ups.
Matter of fact if I play CD jr at MLG arena coming up in 2 weeks I'll try to convince him to pick Jax vs my KL.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Just being real here. Yeah, he gave me a nice shoutout saying "Let's see REO play his Kung Lao against all these low hitbox characters and see what happens." Well Tom, I play against Ikizzle's Sektor, CDjr's Jax, etc. a lot and I still don't see how Kung Lao is a bad character.

No fires have been shot. I'm not gonna just lie and say he has a great Kung Lao just because it's his birthday.
I can't disagree that his Lao is pretty bad though lol.

HD Smoke

Noob
I was actually thinking about it before this tourney, I think Kitana is def. not top ten, She losses to alot of top tier characters. Cage, Jax, Smoke, Reptile, Kenshi, Freddy to name some off the top of my head.
i dont think kitana loses to smoke, its probably 5-5. also im sure 16 bit will put kitana back in his top 10 in a few weeks. sometimes i think smoke isnt top 10 than im like wait wtf am i talking about lol. kung lao is def still really good. anywhere from top 5-10

So in the course of a week we have had a thread by UsedForGlue saying how great Jade is and PL saying Jade is so crap she's in a tier of her own.

Got to love the FGC for their melodramatic extremes.

Jade isn't top tier or so awful she is in a tier of her own. She is perfectly able to beat half the cast if you main her and play her well.

As for REO, he is obviously just trying to stir shit up.