What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
Just noticed all of the non-blank spots add up to 25. It's really going to be 25 characters on disc, isn't it... :(

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Thank fuck there's no:
Takahashi Takeda
Takahashi Kenshi
Goro
Tanya
Tremor
Ferra/Torr
Bo' Rai Cho
Kung Jin

Absolutely despise these characters, some for their position in the lore/story. And others because of gameplay.

I'm genuinely in love with this roster, even the new characters too.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Not gonna lie, that is one good looking roster. I really hope we'll get secret unlockables they won't cover on the KKs. Millena and Human smoke anyone? Maybe even Sector or Cyrax? Two in one? Three in one with Smoke?

I'm PUMPED.
To be completely honest I'm 50/50 on the base roster. I mean sure, Skarlet, Kabal and Noob are amazing for me, and I'm happy for Baraka, Jade and Frost fans, but we have too many special forces.

Cassie had to happen, she's basically the new protagonist, but did we really need the complete Cage family? Jaqui, while improved from MKX, could have easily given a spot to a more requested character like Smoke, Rain or even Takeda (the most popular kid).

Also we have a lot of MKX characters: Kotal is extremely important in the story, but did we really need both D'Vorah and Erron Black? The latter is quite popular, but the former did what she had to in MKX and could have easily taken a break.

Besides Cetrion we still have 2 spots open that could improve the roster a lot for me, so we'll see. Don't get me wrong though: I don't think this is a bad roster at all, but I won't be jumping up and down about it either.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The ones I wanted most in MK11 are:

Noob Saibot
Smoke Ninja/Enenra
Cyrax
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Reptile
Mileena
Chameleon
Cassie Cage
Sub Zero

Fujin

I was also happy to see:

Baraka
Jacqui
Kabal
Scarlet
Raiden
Jade

Even though I won't main them.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Even if Cetrion is a hidden character that still leaves two unknown spots.

So yeah, Were going to have to see who they are

NRS are likely revealing the hidden characters around launch.

One thought that might happen that i havent heard mentioned yet is with the game having a cybernetic stage and scorpion fighting them in the story, we might have some of the robots be unlockables

Crimea

Noob
I don't think they gonna keep a totally new character in secret. They gonna introduce Cetrion properly in the trailer and kombat kast

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
My ideal roster would be:

Trilogy: Liu Kang, Johnny Cage (no relationship), Sonya Blade (no relationship), Raiden, Scorpion, Noob Saibot, Shang Tsung, Reptile, Kung Lao (evil), Mileena, Kitana, Jax, Kintaro (flesh pit experiment), Sheeva, Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke (human), Jade, Rain, Ermac, Sindel, Kabal, Kano, Sub-Zero, Nightwolf & Baraka
Then from MK4: Kai (with white tiger pet), Tanya, Fujin, Reiko and Quan Chi.
From Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance: Kenshi, Drahmin (very different), Mavado (with takeda's weapons) & Frost
From Deception: Havik
Others: Kotal Kahn, Sareena, Tremor, Skarlet, D'Vorah, Kung Jin (with other bow and hawk familiar), Jacqui Briggs (lover of Cyrax), Ferra (with pet Torr, not symbiont?), Erron Black, Cetrion (Plant powers), Geras and Kollector.

FLAWLESS FUCKING VICTORY!

Victims in battle: Goro, Kurtis Stryker, Motaro, Chameleon, Khameleon, Robo-Smoke, Shinnok, Jarek, Bo Rai Cho, Mocrap, Shujinko, Hsu Hoa, Kobra, Kira, Darrius, Dairou, Nitara, Ashrah, Li Mei, Taven, Daegon, Cassie Cage, Takeda, Shao Kahn, Hotaru, Moloch, Blaze, Onaga and Meat

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
To be completely honest I'm 50/50 on the base roster. I mean sure, Skarlet, Kabal and Noob are amazing for me, and I'm happy for Baraka, Jade and Frost fans, but we have too many special forces.

Cassie had to happen, she's basically the new protagonist, but did we really need the complete Cage family? Jaqui, while improved from MKX, could have easily given a spot to a more requested character like Smoke, Rain or even Takeda (the most popular kid).

Also we have a lot of MKX characters: Kotal is extremely important in the story, but did we really need both D'Vorah and Erron Black? The latter is quite popular, but the former did what she had to in MKX and could have easily taken a break.

Besides Cetrion we still have 2 spots open that could improve the roster a lot for me, so we'll see. Don't get me wrong though: I don't think this is a bad roster at all, but I won't be jumping up and down about it either.
Do we need the whole Cage family? The protagonists, the fight family that kicks ass first and ask questions later. Two of those being legacy character who happened to birth one of the most amazing new characters. Yes, yes it's IMPERATIVE, that we have the whole Cage family. Not only because the notion of family is slowly dissolving these days, but because a lot of people love them and they have become the heart of the story mode.

They wanted to give people a good variety of classic and new characters and I think they achieved that pretty well. Still, IMO, the best roster in a long time.

Last edited:

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
And I have nothing against all 3 Cages in the story, because I agree that they are important. But IMHO they should leave at least Sonya as NPC, that's it. Same with Jax. If they want to deal with this family drama AGAIN, let it be, but why include them in the roster for that? Tbh I'd also leave out Kung Lao too this time. His character development is underwhelming and he just became Liu's side-kick rather than badass who's roaming around on his own and kicks some asses. Leaving Rain out (I really need to live with the feeling that he is hated as fcuk by Ed and will not be included...), I would rather still have other kharacters playable over Sonya, KL and Jax.

Cassie Cyrus

Family-crap-stories destroyed my love for Sonya, Jax and Johnny Cage :-(

I loved these characters, until they became parents in story-mode...

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Not only because the notion of family is slowly dissolving these days
Not sure this has to do with anything, but are you sure the solution is in Mortal Kombat? You know they'll beat and kill each other, right?

because a lot of people love them and they have become the heart of the story mode.
That's true, but the same goes with many other characters, some of which haven't been playable for over a decade.

Cassie Cyrus

The most stupid thing about this family stuff (other than Sindel and Kitana or brothers) is that I find it stupid to see Jax kill off Jacqui, and Cassie kill off her own father/mother, so stupid.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Not sure this has to do with anything, but are you sure the solution is in Mortal Kombat? You know they'll beat and kill each other, right?

That's true, but the same goes with many other characters, some of which haven't been playable for over a decade.
No, but it's really refreshing to see it in a game, especially in a fighting game. Even shows on TV don't show that much heart. And I'm all for more heart.

We'll see when we have all of them through DLC, we don't choose them NRS does and even if we talk about our preferences all day it's not going to change anything.

vapid

cyber warlord
I'd be less against Sonya if she wasn't such a fucking tedious, one-note, bitchy character with a boring as hell playstyle that now relies on drones. Top that off with her now having possibly the worst portrayal/voiceover in the game and you've got a genuinely poor character by this point.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
No, but it's really refreshing to see it in a game, especially in a fighting game. Even shows on TV don't show that much heart. And I'm all for more heart.

We'll see when we have all of them through DLC, we don't choose them NRS does and even if we talk about our preferences all day it's not going to change anything.
Some 10/10 strange reasoning there since its a game about ripping hearts out