What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

Espio

Kokomo
I do wonder if Tekken fans get as mad about Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi and other family members taking roster slots.

It's not like Cassie, Sonya and Cage aren't more popular than most of the characters people want over them. Even if Sonya's voice actor and play style isn't what I or many others are big on, she has decades of legacy and fan base appeal.

I just find it very hard to complain because I probably won't get Stryker or Sheeva, but I can step back and realize that NRS is giving us Mk1/MK2 roster, a large chunk of the UMK3/Trilogy roster faves with Noob, Kabal, Jade, some cool new characters, 3D era characters like Frost, MKX faves like Cassie, Kotal, D'vorah, Erron etc. They went out of their way to have a roster for a whole plethora of different tastes and this is without us knowing if Mileena, Rain etc are in as DLC or base or what the full roster for KP will be at the end. Shang Tsung being in is a huge victory.

I don't think it's fair analysis to say because one or two characters we like is out, the roster is trash or not good. I would be pretty disappointed if there was no Jade or Erron, but I wouldn't classify it as trash or weak.

I hope for MK12 she bails and lays.
Fails and bails*.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
One thought that might happen that i havent heard mentioned yet is with the game having a cybernetic stage and scorpion fighting them in the story, we might have some of the robots be unlockables
Rumors are that Frost is the cyborg representative for this game. Then I think we'll get the blue cyborg(possibly Hydro) as DLC. He's too detailed and front and center to not be someone important, but think if he was an unlockable he/the stage wouldn't be shown yet.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Rumors are that Frost is the cyborg representative for this game. Then I think we'll get the blue cyborg(possibly Hydro) as DLC. He's too detailed and front and center to not be someone important, but think if he was an unlockable he/the stage wouldn't be shown yet.
He's very detailed, but also very similar to MKX's CSZ. They might have just recycled the model.

I think we are going to see some cyborgs too though, just hopefully not Frost. I'd rather have her as human, like Smoke. Cyrax, Sektor and Hydro would be very welcome though!

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
He's very detailed, but also very similar to MKX's CSZ. They might have just recycled the model.

I think we are going to see some cyborgs too though, just hopefully not Frost. I'd rather have her as human, like Smoke. Cyrax, Sektor and Hydro would be very welcome though!
I'm actually excited for it to be Hydro. Think it would be a way for cyber sub zero to be a common character without people hating who he is lore wise, since Hydro uses both water and ice skills. Kind of replacing the character gameplay wise, without losing anything lore wise.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I speak my mind Man. If I find something boring and bland, Im telling that. Sonya falls to this category in this game and IMHO should be NPC. She has the robot? Cassie has too. She is SF girl? Cassie and Jacqui are too. She uses military eq? Shit, they use too! Even some moves are similiar. Sonya should have rested this game. Period.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
You guys are such one trick ponies with the Sonya hate. At least come up with something original. You all sound like broken records in unison.

Yo yoooo I hate the Cage family drama yoooo Sonya boring yooooo drop a likeeee
Oh look, it’s this person.. he hates on all magical non special forces characters and then becomes protective about boring Sonya.

Deal with it.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I speak my mind Man. If I find something boring and bland, Im telling that. Sonya falls to this category in this game and IMHO should be NPC. She has the robot? Cassie has too. She is SF girl? Cassie and Jacqui are too. She uses military eq? Shit, they use too! Even some moves are similiar. Sonya should have rested this game. Period.
Do you HAVE to keep saying this in every single thread though?

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
this is irrelevant to this thread, She's in the game deal with it. This thread is about speculation of who else will be in, not complaining about who is in already.

You're not kronika, you cant just stop time and try to change things.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
this is irrelevant to this thread, She's in the game deal with it. This thread is about speculation of who else will be in, not complaining about who is in already.

You're not kronika, you cant just stop time and try to change things.
OK agree. Just wanted to reply to this guy above. Eot from my side.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
The same could be said of Johnny Cage and Cassie, or Jacqui and Jax. I like that Sonya is not really like her daughter at all in terms of character. I would say Liu and Kung Lao are more similar characters, actually. It isn't just the Special Forces though. Sub-Zero and Scorpion literally looked the same except for different color pallettes. Mileena and Kitana too. Jade and Noob had the same moves as other fighters. My point is that we've had 'similar' characters since the first Mortal Kombat. And it didn't matter.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Seems so. Weird that they put 29 spots on official website though. Btw when they actually add Kotal, Noob and Shang there?
I feel that where they end up putting Shang Tsung on https://www.mortalkombat.com/roster will greatly help us figure out if there's any merit to the 27th and 28th lock symbol dont highlight being secret character related.

Though my guess is he'll be on the darkened 29th slot on that page.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Funny thing would be if he is actually 30th that is not even there yet. That would be my BEST BEST SCENARIO. But your guess is more probable.

Reactions: Zev

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Gotta love the MK community shitting on Sonya, Johnny, Jax... classic characters that shaped the franchise's identity.
I wonder if this thing happens in other communities...

Street Fighter
wow FUCK this roster, why is Ken taking Necro's slot since he's just a clone of Ryu??
oh my GAWD: Cammy, Guile and Nash are TOO MANY SPECIAL FORCES
Sakura is just a FEMINIST Ryu!!
we should start a PETITION so they include fan favourite TWELVE

Tekken
I absolutely HATE this roster: where's Michelle Chang?
Paul Phoenix should SIT THIS ONE OUT
fuck the new characters, bring back KUNIMITSU!

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Gotta love the MK community shitting on Sonya, Johnny, Jax... classic characters that shaped the franchise's identity.

Street Fighter
wow FUCK this roster, why is Ken taking Necro's slot since he's just a clone of Ryu??

Tekken
It happens in SF in terms of people being mad about 'too many shotos' when it's like... sorry, the shotos are the most popular characters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(bring back kunimitsu tho tbqh)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
To be fair, none of those other games mentioned have as strong of a focus on story as Mortal Kombat, and it can be frustrating to see highly demanded characters continually passed up so other characters can fulfill a story arc.

Burn2019

Noob

Street Fighter

Tekken
Why take it so personally? People have characters they like and others they don’t. I can’t stand Kabal, think Rain’s “bleh”, and am bored silly by Ermac. But I’m not going to complain if others feel differently.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Why take it so personally? People have characters they like and others they don’t. I can’t stand Kabal, think Rain’s “bleh”, and am bored silly by Ermac. But I’m not going to complain if others feel differently.
Calm down.

I just think it's funny and delusional to think they would drop iconic characters without a good reason. They already did it in the past and it was always a failure.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Calm down.

I just think it's funny and delusional to think they would drop iconic characters without a good reason. They already did it in the past and it was always a failure.
Good reason you are saying? Well, let's see at Jax. He is retired farmer, doesn't want to involve in the fight at all, was already dead and bought back, agreed for last mission in MKX, passed the torch to his daughter, was killed off in 3 (?) endings - even if non-canon, still could be a hint. And what we have now? Oh no, Jax is in again. If that are not good reasons to let fighter rest for ONE game, then what potentially could be?

Burn2019

Noob
Good reason you are saying? Well, let's see at Jax. He is retired farmer, doesn't want to involve in the fight at all, was already dead and bought back, agreed for last mission in MKX, passed the torch to his daughter, was killed off in 3 (?) endings - even if non-canon, still could be a hint. And what we have now? Oh no, Jax is in again. If that are not good reasons to let fighter rest for ONE game, then what potentially could be?
I’m not particularly anti-Jax, but this is an excellent point.

Although MK11, like Armageddon, is the perfect narrative to have ALL fighters in.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Oh no, Jax is in again. If that are not good reasons to let fighter rest for ONE game, then what potentially could be?
When games span 4+ years in between them. Then it matters. When games would come out every year or every other year it wasn't as big a deal. Now if a character misses out that atleast 8 years your waiting to play as them again.

The MK1-2 characters will always be around, there is no passing the torch, its a fictional world. If a character is meant to be on the roster they will, no one is taking their spots. People get left out because NRS doesnt want to add them. New characters or a smaller roster would happen before NRS adding characters they deem unwanted/needed for the current game they are making.

for all roster complainers:
TLDR: If your gunna start crying for why someone was or wasn't added, do it for MK12, not a game that comes out in 1 month and is already finished.

This is coming from someone who Rain and Reiko are my 2nd and 3rd favorite characters.

Now lets not derail this thread with more whining