What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
if they don't answer it straight away it makes me think it's 24+shao kahn. they know this answer would get hate from the community

because it's like "hey its a 25 characters roster! ..............but if you don't pre order you'll have to buy 1 later!"

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
My personal belief is that there's 25 base roster characters, a few Secret Characters to be unlocked via beating the game and playing through the Krypt, and an extra character in Shao Kahn who doesn't count against the number of the base roster. No basis for this, just a theory based off past MK and Injustice games.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
So with Cetrion being confirmed as the daughter of Kronika and Shinnok's sister, there's more evidence that there will be hidden unlockable characters. The text leak that came out before the leaked image came out said that Shinnok was part of the base roster and Mileena and Shang were unlockables. Now we know that Shang is DLC, but all that means is he heard about him in the game and then just assumed he was one of the unlockables. Since the leaker is NOT the original source but someone who was leaked the info privately.

He also said that Cetrion was shinnok's sister and daughter of Kronika, which we now know is true. Everything the guy said so far as been almost basically right. (shang still in the game whether was unlockable or dlc) Highly likely that the secret unlockables will also be in the game. Now i still can't believe Shinnok would be in mk11, based off the fact that he's just a head in the background of a stage. Though that stage is also named after him, which happens usually with playable characters.

I also believe the secret unlockables would be the last characters they work on, which is why we don't see them in the testers screenshot. All the characters with no pictures and just letters have already been revealed, so likely none of them are story/krypt unlockables.

Everything is adding up to the MK11 roster page being 25 base + shao + shang + 2 "secret characters"

Also even if there was only just the 25 we know, i wouldn't be disappointed, mk11 is going to be great no matter what. It's still fun to speculate though.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
So with Cetrion being confirmed as the daughter of Kronika and Shinnok's sister, there's more evidence that there will be hidden unlockable characters. The text leak that came out before the leaked image came out said that Shinnok was part of the base roster and Mileena and Shang were unlockables. Now we know that Shang is DLC, but all that means is he heard about him in the game and then just assumed he was one of the unlockables. Since the leaker is NOT the original source but someone who was leaked the info privately.

He also said that Cetrion was shinnok's sister and daughter of Kronika, which we now know is true. Everything the guy said so far as been almost basically right. (shang still in the game whether was unlockable or dlc) Highly likely that the secret unlockables will also be in the game. Now i still can't believe Shinnok would be in mk11, based off the fact that he's just a head in the background of a stage. Though that stage is also named after him, which happens usually with playable characters.

I also believe the secret unlockables would be the last characters they work on, which is why we don't see them in the testers screenshot. All the characters with no pictures and just letters have already been revealed, so likely none of them are story/krypt unlockables.

Everything is adding up to the MK11 roster page being 25 base + shao + shang + 2 "secret characters"

Also even if there was only just the 25 we know, i wouldn't be disappointed, mk11 is going to be great no matter what. It's still fun to speculate though.
Where was it confirmed that she is shinnok's sister?

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
It's not 25+Shao, it's 24+Shao. Dev just confirmed that today. He also basically confirmed that there were no secret characters, saying that the person who gave the quote in the interview didn't mean it in the same way people are taking it. There's so many threads flying around I can't find it anymore but its out there.

GameInformers article.

Pizza

Thrill Kill

You are right and the story leaks have been right so far. However, I think one of the leakers was mistaken. I think this was the situation:

Someone (or the leaker himself/herself) saw the base roster and some additional characters like Shang Tsung, Mileena and Shinnok. The leaker assumed they were unlockable.
But it turns out that Shang Tsung is DLC.
So I think these characters are probably DLC: Shang Tsung, Mileena and Shinnok.

Shao Kahn is a DLC pre-order character. He has been confirmed to play a role in story mode.
Shang Tsung, according to a story leak, is also supposed to play a role in story mode.

I think NRS is handling the whole "NPC fighters" better this time, by having them available as playable DLC characters.

I'm not sure if there's going to be unlockable characters in-game. But now I think these 'unlockable' characters are in fact, DLC characters.

Dear diary, its day number 372872 and people still think there will be unlockable characters in the game.

Edit: And the roster is 25 + Shao Kahn
No, it's 24 + Shao Kahn.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
It's not 25+Shao, it's 24+Shao. Dev just confirmed that today. He also basically confirmed that there were no secret characters, saying that the person who gave the quote in the interview didn't mean it in the same way people are taking it. There's so many threads flying around I can't find it anymore but its out there.
Every tweet Daanish has responded to was worded poorly. He doesn't respond to ones that would give us definitive answers. I assume this is on purpose. Also most of NRS tweets are flip floppy "correcting" something they previously said.

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa also tweeted he was not voicing/playing Shang Tsung in mk11, but he is. NRS isn't going to tell people what they want to hear. They like to keep things secretive so people are surprised when things are revealed.

Ther'es more credibility in the leaked character select screenshot and the official mk roster(the 2 unclickable spots, and the slots adding up), than anything NRS actually says, especially on twitter.

Last edited:

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
Now i still can't believe Shinnok would be in mk11, based off the fact that he's just a head in the background of a stage. Though that stage is also named after him, which happens usually with playable characters.
Source on the name of the stage?

Yeah, Shinnok being in now sounds legit. I'd imagine that according to my theory about the roster displayed on the official site, there are 24 base roster characters + Shao Khan + the 26th highlightable slot (which I initially thought to be the 1st DLC, Shang Tsung) which might actually be Shinnok, and they are just not showing DLC characters (except preorder bonus Shao Khan) there yet.

And also, in the first leak that said that Sinnok was in and is actually the son of Kronika and the brother of Cetrion, and had Shang, Milena and the rest of the known roster , Shinnok was listed as base roster and only Shang and Milena counted as unblockables. So it might be true, but with Shang and Milena being DLC.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Not gonna lie when i heard they are Shinnoks sister and mother i want him now and also Kronika playable.

They give us Special Forces families galore but how about the Kronika family?

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Calling it now, Shinnok is not in - it would be lame for him to be unlockable 2nd game in a row, aaaaand as we all know the 24+Shao starting roster he is nowhere near. He is out as everyone expected at the beginning.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Calling it now, Shinnok is not in - it would be lame for him to be unlockable 2nd game in a row, aaaaand as we all know the 24+Shao starting roster he is nowhere near. He is out as everyone expected at the beginning.
Well considering that the unlockables leak predicted the full roster, Cetrion's name and Kronika's family structure, I'd say it has a pretty good chance to come to fruition.

Shang Tsung was supposed to be unlockable also in the leak, true, but that could have both been a genuine mistake (since he got revealed so early), or a counter measure for the leak itself to lose credibility.