What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
If you go to it on a PC, its 5 total rows. going 6/7/6/5/5. Using logic, if they were going to put dlc slots on there they would either put all of them on there (6) or just put one to show the first dlc character off before release. They would not randomly only put 4 slots for dlc when we know there will be 6 in KP1.

When you take the leaked character select screen into perspective, theres 3 spots extra that are unnacounted for.
34 total slots:
Shao + 6 dlc + 24 base = 31. which lines up exactly with the roster page only having 1 dlc slot. Which is the same number of spots unaccounted for on the roster page.
I used to think this. But with Shang Tsung of all characters confirmed DLC... I'm coming around to the idea that someone just fucked up designing that website.

If any 1 unconfirmed character was going to be hidden, I think it would have been Shang. He's practically the main character in the Krypt, he's all but confirmed to play a role in the story, and that's still not enough to make him hidden on the base roster? If that's not enough then I don't see anyone else having much of a chance.

I do think it was a fuck up to design the website in such an ambiguous way, but whatever. I'm personally not gonna lose any sleep over it given, you know, the game.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I really didn't want to keep my expectations high, but actually these trolls from NRS are constantly messing with me... Why they can't just say clearly: There are 25 slots, rest are DLC, Rain is not in the game!

Now, I'm more on @pure.Wasted side. Someone just messed the website and we are really having 25 slots and the 'secret' characters would be probably: Frost, "Cetrion" and "the Kollector".

Well, still waiting once they add Kotal, Noob and Shang there, that would clear things a bit.

If 25 is the real final number people will be disappointed for sure and understandably so.

Putting DLC slots on the official roster page (beside the Shang slot) before the game is released would be a total dick move. Especially with all the talks about secret characters.

Besides if Shao Kahn is one of those 25 Boon is talking about then what he really means is 24 as he is DLC. People that dont pre order will have to pay for him extra.

For above reasons (and cuz this is NRS and not EA) i choose to believe that Boon is trying to keep things secret and not that they are messing with their customers.
But that is my point, there is no reason to be disappointed about these 25 base characters. The roster is awesome, if we get anything more from NRS now, it should be a pleasant surprise for the fans, not something fans feel entitled to have. And if that's all we get no one should be pissed))

I, personally, love this roster, and not mad at all that my favorite character ended up being DLC. I am glad he is in the game, and seeing how NRS usually does their DLC, i think it is even better.
On top of that I know nothing of Kollector or Cetrion yet. Or at least 5 more DLC's to come. What is there to be mad about?

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
If you are rich or have enough money, there is nothing to be mad about, but if you don't live around a money tree, these DLC pay-walls are really harsh and annoying. I have nothing to complain about with money, but I can understand that many other people are pissed off because of their favorite characters ending up in DLC for this reason.

Cassie Cyrus

Can anyone tell me who the fuck is Cetrion?
Some form of Elder Goddess probably, one of life was in some leaks, probably controls plants, water or rocks, looking at her vague appearances we've seen.

She seems to have plants for hair and a big halo-rock floating behind her.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Cetrion (Centrion? it's one of those spellings) is a new character that has appeared pretty much solely in leaks and we know nothing about. If they've been spotted in trailers I completely missed that.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Can anyone tell me who the fuck is Cetrion?
Additionally, this may have been her in the story mode trailer. But it could be anyone of the Elder Gods I suppose, it would just make sense to focus on her.

You can also see her face on the leak list and she has almost leaf like hair and blue skin. Those aren't finished models, of course.

Fuck leaks by the way I would have loved to have this character come out of nowhere.

Afumba

Noob
But that is my point, there is no reason to be disappointed about these 25 base characters. The roster is awesome, if we get anything more from NRS now, it should be a pleasant surprise for the fans, not something fans feel entitled to have. And if that's all we get no one should be pissed))

I, personally, love this roster, and not mad at all that my favorite character ended up being DLC. I am glad he is in the game, and seeing how NRS usually does their DLC, i think it is even better.
On top of that I know nothing of Kollector or Cetrion yet. Or at least 5 more DLC's to come. What is there to be mad about?
Its not about how good the roster is or isnt... its about them creating these "hopes". You cant just put out a 40 slots roster page and not expect people to be disappointed when they only get 30.

I understand where you are coming from but if you dont want to disapppoint people you should handle things differently/better. The way it went possible disapppointment is NRS/WBs fault, at least a good chunk of it.

Cassie Cyrus

I agree, if you have 25 characters in your game, + 1 Shao Kahn + 6 DLC, then make the roster page like 25 spots, put Shao Kahn in a different spot (as not everybody gets him) and put the 6 DLC slots separate.

In this way you cannot confuse, you cannot disappoint, and you cannot cheat.
Voila.

Them being so damn mysterious about Kollector and Cetrion makes me wonder if they are the two secret characters (worst secrets in the history of games, everybody knew about them like months ago), and not Mileena and the others like they said they would.

So 25 characters, HOPEFULLY without counting Shao Kahn, because he's counting to the 25, some people only get 24 characters in their main game, which I think is a shame, it should be more than MKX.

Last edited:
Its not about how good the roster is or isnt... its about them creating these "hopes". You cant just put out a 40 slots roster page and not expect people to be disappointed when they only get 30.

I understand where you are coming from but if you dont want to disapppoint people you should handle things differently/better. The way it went possible disapppointment is NRS/WBs fault, at least a good chunk of it.
Where do they have 40 or even 30 slots?!? Are you just exaggerating to make a point?
That’s the thing, I didn’t get any extra hopes up))) what’s the difference between me those that feel they are being trolled?

So 25 characters, HOPEFULLY without counting Shao Kahn, because he's counting to the 25, some people only get 24 characters in their main game, which I think is a shame, less than MKX.
MKX has also 24 kombatants at launch+Goro as pre-order DLC. So it would be exactly the same. Whether it is enough or not is up to your personal preferences of course.

Afumba

Noob
Where do they have 40 or even 30 slots?!? Are you just exaggerating to make a point?
That’s the thing, I didn’t get any extra hopes up))) what’s the difference between me those that feel they are being trolled?
I obviously exaggerated to make my point more apparent. My point still stands with the actual numbers though.

The difference is that you are a different person than someone else. Just because you dont get upset about being teased/mislead doesnt mean everybody else handles it the same. And it also doesnt mean the way you are handling it is the correct one. Also they are a lot of factors to consider... maybe some peoples dont have their favorites in the game yet and you do. Maybe you are fine with a 24 character roster and others think its not enough. Maybe secret character means something different for you than for somebody else etcetc

Bottom line is... if you dont want disappoint people dont get their hopes up.
Cassie Cyrus posts above states perfectly how they should have done things if they didnt want to disappoint people.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Cetrion and Kollector are in story mode, but, if NRS doesn't show any gameplay of them, this means they will be the unlockable secret slots .... what give room for , if the initial roster is indeed 25 slots in the Select Character Screen, if the slots for secret characters only pop up when unlocking them, who could possible replace them in the 24th and 25th slot in the initial roster ? :eek:

Searsy82

Noob
My personal guess is that Frost is going to be the story mode unlock. They have already shown the Kollector in a trailer so he isn't a surprise. They are going to have a story moment that is "Oh look, surprise! its robot frost!" and then you beat her. Unlocked.

I obviously exaggerated to make my point more apparent. My point still stands with the actual numbers though.

The difference is that you are a different person than someone else. Just because you dont get upset about being teased/mislead doesnt mean everybody else handles it the same. And it also doesnt mean the way you are handling it is the correct one. Also they are a lot of factors to consider... maybe some peoples dont have their favorites in the game yet and you do. Maybe you are fine with a 24 character roster and others think its not enough. Maybe secret character means something different for you than for somebody else etcetc

Bottom line is... if you dont want disappoint people dont get their hopes up.
Cassie Cyrus posts above states perfectly how they should have done things if they didnt want to disappoint people.
Well, in that case you can’t please everyone. There are people who will get upset no matter what) and I don’t know about you but I like to play MK to get good vibes, not get butthurt because of being teased the wrong way) maybe it is an incorrect way to handle it)
even if Shang wasn’t in I would play someone else because the game looks crazy good.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I HIGHLY doubt Reptile and Ermac will be DLC, NRS are gonna wanna give us character's who weren't base roster in X.

Like, Reptile was the least selected character in X...nobody would pay for him.
I would, I love reptile. Played him in both MK9 and MKX and loved it.

Fuck the haters.

People didn't play Reptile for 2 reasons imo:

1. They didn't give him a CORRECT classic skin (aka he was still a reptile and not a human) unlike ermac.
2. He wasn't top tier. Aka people were playing more shitters like takeda because it was easy wins.

xenogorgeous

I would, I love reptile. Played him in both MK9 and MKX and loved it.

Fuck the haters.

People didn't play Reptile for 2 reasons imo:

1. They didn't give him a CORRECT classic skin (aka he was still a reptile and not a human) unlike ermac.
2. He wasn't top tier. Aka people were playing more shitters like takeda because it was easy wins.
yeah .... I'll miss Reptile in this game .... his special moves are so fun to do it! And he is way more interesting than Baraka. Shame! :(

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
haha I had a weird dream today that I entered the MK official website and there were finally new fighters added... Sheeva, Sindel, Nightwolf and... CYBER-REPTILE as a super-secret character to be unlocked through the krypt.

Yea... I need some rest from MK I guess ;)

Afumba

Noob
Well, in that case you can’t please everyone. There are people who will get upset no matter what) and I don’t know about you but I like to play MK to get good vibes, not get butthurt because of being teased the wrong way) maybe it is an incorrect way to handle it)
even if Shang wasn’t in I would play someone else because the game looks crazy good.
No you absolutely cant please everyone.
Knowing that why make it worse and get peoples hopes up with an inacurate roster page? Thats why i think 25 is not the full on disc roster because i cant believe they would do something like that.

Yea i play MK to have fun myself. My three favs are all not in the game (Ermac, Mileena, Sindel) and i am disappointed by that. I also understand that this is not NRS fault but mine so i dont hold it against them. I will still buy the game, enjoy it and hope they somehow make it in later. As you said the game looks amazing and nobody should pass on it.
But i will still be pissed if 24+Shao is all we get prior to DLC due the wqy they handled things.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Alright so, what if, the roster on the website is actually the full base roster + DLCs... but it's only the Mortal Kombat characters? Like they've excluded the guest characters (at least for the moment) from the website roster?

So this is more or less how it'd look like after adding all the characters.

xenogorgeous

Alright so, what if, the roster on the website is actually the full base roster + DLCs... but it's only the Mortal Kombat characters? Like they've excluded the guest characters (at least for the moment) from the website roster?

So this is more or less how it'd look like after adding all the characters.
good call .... this make sense indeed ... in this scenario, hope that one of the DLCs spots end being for ... Mileena , rsrsr :p

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
yeah .... I'll miss Reptile in this game .... his special moves are so fun to do it! And he is way more interesting than Baraka. Shame! :(
Reptilian Dash or Elbow Dash (as it was called in mk9) is one of the most fun moves in both games! I love dashing all over the place and confusing the opponent with it. haha

And force balls that you can mb to stop in their tracks whenever you want is also fun. I don't get why he wasn't played if the 2 reasons I listed weren't it.