What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
As a Rain fan, I can see the humour in this. No need to take it so personally.
I'm more making a half joke about it to encourage excitement and hope. I dunno how that was me taking anything personally lol. Saying something could be considered mean isnt taking something personally, it's literally the same thing as Ed said.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
I mean, when the game comes e out if the character select screen have 25 in total... There's going to be more character after all, unlockble through the krypt or story. My bet its going to be Mileena, Shinnok or Rain.

If not, Cetrion is going to be the unlockble one since she's the closest thing to a boss character in this game (besides Shao Kahn).

Reactions: Zev

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Shi
I mean, when the game comes e out if the character select screen have 25 in total... There's going to be more character after all, unlockble through the krypt or story. My bet its going to be Mileena, Shinnok or Rain.

If not, Cetrion is going to be the unlockble one since she's the closest thing to a boss character in this game (besides Shao Kahn).
nnok won’t be in the game at all

SinkFla

Noob
I kept saying I thought that Cetrion was going to be unlockable... but then they turned around released her trailer. Sooo uhhh.... my money is on Kollector being the unlock now.

(eagerly waits for trailer)
Nailed it. Lol. JK but I'm going to use these powers for good now.

While I would love a secret unlockable and think it would be mad hype to have one kept secret until the game's release, I think that the only unlockable character will be Shao Kahn, like others above have said. Like you have to beat story mode to get him (unless you pre ordered). Kinda like Shinnok in MKX (if i remember correctly). I'm trying to keep my hopes to a minimum.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
While I would love a secret unlockable and think it would be mad hype to have one kept secret until the game's release, I think that the only unlockable character will be Shao Kahn, like others above have said. Like you have to beat story mode to get him (unless you pre ordered). Kinda like Shinnok in MKX (if i remember correctly). I'm trying to keep my hopes to a minimum.
Sadly you do not remember correctly, you're only half wrong though. Shinnok was indeed the story unlock for MKX but the pre-order character there was Goro... So the chances of Shao Kahn being unlockable are exactly 0.
You are very much so right in keeping your expectations to a realistic level though.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
So if GODDESSrion isn't the unlockable and Kollecter is base too, then maybe Frost is the secret unlock?

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
So if GODDESSrion isn't the unlockable and Kollecter is base too, then maybe Frost is the secret unlock?
lol probably

Too bad she is hardly a secret right now.
Frost won't be a secret unlockable. She was in the steam leak, which only had a handful of fighters. She also has a psn trophy achievement, similar to everyone else. I'm assuming she'll be shown this week or next. We may not have seen much about her yet, but we didn't for Kollector, Cetrion and Jax either before their trailers dropped.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Frost won't be a secret unlockable. She was in the steam leak, which only had a handful of fighters. She also has a psn trophy achievement, similar to everyone else. I'm assuming she'll be shown this week or next. We may not have seen much about her yet, but we didn't for Kollector, Cetrion and Jax either before their trailers dropped.
Yeah, it's a possibility.

But Kitana, Noob Saibot, Jax and Johnny Cage weren't in the Steam leak. So what does this mean?

Remind me if those four characters have trophies.

I'm inclined to believe that maybe not all characters have been leaked.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Really happy with the roster.

I'm glad it's not all just fan favourites. Sometimes we don't always know what we want since were not artists/game devs.

Obviously going against public opinion on these things is risky in terms of payoff, but say a character like Stryker who isn't requested much, I can totally see him getting reinvisioned for the DLC and suddenly been really popular.

It can be the left field choices that really make the game.

Also I wouldn't mind new characters as DLC as well as classics/guests. Ideally looking at what playstyles/gimmicks are missing in roster (or what's been popularised and worked well elsewhere, in what ever medium).

cavemold

BIG D POLE .

Ok, so Ed Boon just tweeted this. If he just posted it normally giving props to bosslogic it would be fine and no biggy. But deliberately writing that he knows it'll be mean to retweet, just seems weird to me and would be a dick move if he truly wasn't in. Plus he's tweeted an absurd amount of tweets about Rain the past few weeks. We know he loves to tease and troll, but he's not this mean right? . . . . right!?

also @STORMS this thread is still messed up message order wise, though i know you're working on it.
Press R for my boy Rain,.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Even if Frost a secret unlockable they still mentioned secret characterS
Not "they." One person, in an off-hand off-the-cuff interview response.

And I'm not saying you'd be wrong to hold him to his word. I'm saying that given the lack of other evidence, I'm not getting my hopes up that he didn't just misspeak, as irresponsible as that may or may not be.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
It's one offhand quote from Paulo and I really don't think you should get too invested in the idea.
Not "they." One person, in an off-hand off-the-cuff interview response.

And I'm not saying you'd be wrong to hold him to his word. I'm saying that given the lack of other evidence, I'm not getting my hopes up that he didn't just misspeak, as irresponsible as that may or may not be.
This was from last week, he also said characterS. Yet we've seen everyone but Frost, Kitana, Dvorah, and Shao Kahn. But we'll see Kitana and Dvorah and one other this week(might be Cetrion though). With one to two kombat kasts to go after. Honestly I think Frost will be this week's 3rd.

This was from last week, he also said characterS. Yet we've seen everyone but Frost, Kitana, Dvorah, and Shao Kahn. But we'll see Kitana and Dvorah and one other this week(might be Cetrion though). With one to two kombat kasts to go after. Honestly I think Frost will be this week's 3rd.
He can still mean one character. This is Twitter, the last place where you need to be precise with how things are worded. I wouldn't put money on anything but an official announcement (or visual evidence) where there can be no confusion. For all we know he's referring to NPC cameos or the Kombat Pack 1 characters. But ImperatrixSindel brought up a good point: If Frost is shown this week or next*, things get a lot more interesting (or they just changed their minds about not showing everyone).

*Though by next week's Kast I imagine we'll see everything regardless, because some copies will have broken street date.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I just think you're in for a world of disappointment if you put too much stock in the literal wording of an off-the-cuff interview or Twitter response, as @Lord Greyjoy says. I'd be thrilled to be wrong! But I'm not getting my hopes up for anything more than the 25 we've been explicitly promised.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I just think you're in for a world of disappointment if you put too much stock in the literal wording of an off-the-cuff interview or Twitter response, as @Lord Greyjoy says. I'd be thrilled to be wrong! But I'm not getting my hopes up for anything more than the 25 we've been explicitly promised.
I've said this in previous posts/thread. I won't be disappointed if there isn't any secret unlockables. Mk11 is going to be great either way. I just think it's fun to speculate and theorize. I'd rather be this way and be wrong, then just assume there's nothing to look forward to and be surprised where there is something. (i know im weird).

Roster speculation and Midway/NRS teases/hints have always been one of my favorite things about the pre-release Mortal Kombat experience. It's just fun.

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Yeah, it's a possibility.
But Kitana, Noob Saibot, Jax and Johnny Cage weren't in the Steam leak. So what does this mean?
Remind me if those four characters have trophies.

I'm inclined to believe that maybe not all characters have been leaked.
I looked it up, tthey do have trophies. But the psn only has 59ish trophies where the steam achievements have 92ish, where most of the steam ones are "hidden"

Unlockable characters though arn't always linked to achievement/trophies. Shinnok in mkx was unlocked via the "beat story mode" achievement.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
So with Shang Tsung as DLC and Kitana having Mileena's sais and moves, basically confirms the text leak was a phony like we all thought. . . . and you know Shinnok being just a head lol.

Doesn't take away from all the other evidence posted in this thread, leading towards unlockables as that's based off actual images and the official website. so here's still hoping. Though the Mileena thing definitely hurts.

Now that mileena is officially deconfirmed and if the theory of there being unlockables is right. Who do u think they are now? My money's on Rain, Smoke, and a female.

If you think there won't be any and its just the 25, you don't have to say I/we are just going to be dissapointed lol, that been said plenty of times so far in this thread XD. This is just speculation for fun.