What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Wait, really? That's great! I thought both Jax and Cetroin were missing, but now that I think about it Jax was in the leak so it makes sense, do you have a link to it?
Go to page 1 of this thread, shows images
34 slots - 7 dlc (cus shao kahn) = 27 and we only know about 24 base roster characters, so 3 slots left.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Okay so...
The only characters left to be added to the website's roster are Frost, Cetrion and Kollector. This is it, comrades.

We still don't know:

-Who the selectable 25th character is.
-Who are the two non-selectable characters/slots.

Since we're seeing so many throwbacks to MK3/UMK3 on the base game (I'm talking about skins of Kano, Kitana, Jax, probably Liu Kang?/ AND Kabal and cyborgs), I think Sektor has good chances. Unless, of course, Frost is the new Grand Master of the Tekunin.

Nonetheless, I think Sektor is possible.

I hope Mileena is in T_T

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Okay so...
The only characters left to be added to the website's roster are Frost, Cetrion and Kollector. This is it, comrades.

We still don't know:

-Who the selectable 25th character is.
-Who are the two non-selectable characters/slots.

Since we're seeing so many throwbacks to MK3/UMK3 on the base game (I'm talking about skins of Kano, Kitana, Jax, probably Liu Kang?/ AND Kabal and cyborgs), I think Sektor has good chances. Unless, of course, Frost is the new Grand Master of the Tekunin.

Nonetheless, I think Sektor is possible.

I hope Mileena is in T_T
I think the 25th slot is going to be someone totally unexpected.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
That could just mean someone like Cetrion is unlockable.
Personally I don't think so, but it's still possible.

If Cetrion is an unlockable character (assuming she's one of the two non-selectable slots), then we have one secret character left, and two base roster characters so far unknown.

Reactions: Zev

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
As long as it ain't my Mileena or Asian Sindel I'm very fine with ANYBODY being unlockable in this game.

Preferences right now go to Rain, Sektor or Cyrax, Ermac or Kenshi and Reptile.

Cassie Cyrus

You took the spot for the dumbest shit I think I'll read today. Congrats.

My interested face looks pretty much like that woman's now.

The dumpest shit goes to NRS, who doesn't even know what their own freaking characters looked like in the last game.

Also I remember all these people go badshit over Jade becoming almost white in MK9... (I was one of them, as I thought it didn't make sense and it was stupid), now they are all fine with it.

And I don't care that Kitana was Asian in that non-canon series, or even in Shaolin Monks (don't see that as canon as well, jade died) to me she was Edenian girl with latina-like appearance, I loved her that way, now I don't recognize her.

Nothing to do with me hating on Asians, as Shang Tsung, Kung Lao and Liu Kang are all high up my lists. I would be just as disappointed if Shang Tsung suddenly was African or Western-looking.

Last edited:

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
My interested face looks pretty much like that woman's now.

The dumpest shit goes to NRS, who doesn't even know what their own freaking characters looked like in the last game.

Also I remember all these people go badshit over Jade becoming almost white in MK9... (I was one of them, as I thought it didn't make sense and it was stupid), now they are all fine with it.

And I don't care that Kitana was Asian in that non-canon series, or even in Shaolin Monks (don't see that as canon as well, jade died) to me she was Edenian girl with latina-like appearance, I loved her that way, now I don't recognize her.

Nothing to do with me hating on Asians, as Shang Tsung, Kung Lao and Liu Kang are all high up my lists.
K.

Stay mad cause she's Asian. Mileena's her clone so if she's in she'll be Asian (Even if she's not unlockable or in the game at all you gotta live with the fact that now she's Asian cause Kitana is lmfao). Jade's black. and if Sindel's in, she might just be Asian.

The woman whose face they scanned for Kitana is beautiful and we haven't even seen her mouth or seen her talk. This is really about to the best she's ever looked wow.

The most iconic shit goes to NRS, who knows how to make their characters better and better each game and are just great at what they do.

Hopefully, they stick with these things now that their technology is evolved from hand modeling faces. Asian Kitana and Mileena is how they should look imo. In a game that pulls so fuckin heavily from that specific culture. Only having 2-3 Asian characters would be like....wtf.

The fans, the sticks in her hair (Which she had in MKX), like c'mon.

"The folding hand fan is recognized as being invented in Japan or China with both countries holding legends of its creation."
Like...I mean.

"-the most influential culture on modern hairsticks has been Japanese"
They've clearly had an idea of what they were doing with the character. I hope this means they've found their groove with this character. Cause she looks great. If Mileena's in I just know she'll look great and with the technology they can do so much more with her when it comes to her teeth and stuff. (I know apparently they wanted to have her jaw unhinge like a snake in MKX, but due to technological limitations they couldn't. Would be sick to see now)

But, yeah, you can stay mad I guess.

Cassie Cyrus

Kitana, Sindel and Mileena are Edenians, not from earth, not from Japan, not from USA, not from China.

I liked Latina Kitana, gothic Sindel and monster Mileena much better, my personal opinion. I loved that Kitana was dressed in Asian-styled clothes as well, that made her a true Edenian, immune from the style/race things from Earth, a Latina wearing Asian clothes, awesome.

Now she's just Liu Kangs bride I guess, nothing Edenian about that anymore.

You win in this anyway, be glad for what you got, but I don't share your happiness or opinion. Kitana never looked worse in my opinion, I also hate the fans and the clothes, probably because I loved MKX Kitana so much.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Kitana, Sindel and Mileena are Edenians, not from earth, not from Japan, not from USA, not from China.

I liked Latina Kitana, gothic Sindel and monster Mileena much better, my personal opinion. I loved that Kitana was dressed in Asian-styled clothes as well, that made her a true Edenian, immune from the style/race things from Earth, a Latina wearing Asian clothes, awesome.

Now she's just Liu Kangs bride I guess, nothing Edenian about that anymore.

You win in this anyway, be glad for what you got, but I don't share your happiness or opinion. Kitana never looked worse in my opinion, I also hate the fans and the clothes, probably because I loved MKX Kitana so much.
K.

Just because you LiKeD Latina Kitana doesn't mean that's inherently how the character should look. Sindel can be gothic and Asian. Mileena can be a monster and Asian. My personal fact.

How in the absolute everlovingshit does her being Asian make her 'JUsT LIu KaNG'S BRIdE'??

Cassie Cyrus

It is my opinion. I want it that way, I don't like it THIS way, so I post it. She has been an Edenian-Latina in like all the games I played and loved, so duh I feel strong ties with THAT Kitana.

Just like you seem to love Asian Kitana more than Latina Kitana, I feel the other way around.

With Shang Tsung being DLC, and not an unlockable like the "leak" said, all the proof we have is this image

Taking into consideration we know there are 6 DLC characters( one being Shang Tsung) + 1 preorder character Shao Kahn, that still leaves us with 3 unaccounted for slots.

Could possibly mean 1 more base roster character and 2 hidden unlockables. Or if shao is considered the 25th slot, then 3 unlockables. I highly doubt DLC pack 2 would only have 3 characters, with the first having 6.

One of the slots could also be for "random Select" so have to keep that in mind.

Here's what https://www.mortalkombat.com/roster looks like atm with the people we know are playable (image credit to @Pizza )

Character Hints in game
-I think the Cyborg in the background of the new stage (possibly Hydro) is going to be DLC, and not an unlockable
-The "Traveler" could also be someone you unlock through the Krypt, or he is the younger version of someone we already know/heard of.

What your thoughts?

also remaking this since the other thread got moved to the Erron Black subforum LOL
Ok, I never checked the roster page on the official site myself, so I took that info about 29 slots as a sure thing, just went there on an iPad. And for me it is 5 rows, each having 5 characters. The sixth row has 4 slots, but only one of them that you can highlight and the rest of them are fading, with the 4th almost faded to nothing.
Just looking on it for the first time I can clearly see it implies 25 base roster slots (including Shao Khan as he is there, marked as DLC) and the last row is dlc. The gradual fading of the last 3 slots implies more DLC to come. And the first slot in the last row (which is the only one among them that isn't faded in any way and can be highlighted) being the 1st announced DLC, Shang Tsung.
That seems clear to me for some reason, and seems the most realistic scenario if you apply logic.

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Ok, I never checked the roster page on the official site myself, so I took that info about 29 slots as a sure thing, just went there on an iPad. And for me it is 5 rows, each having 5 characters. The sixth row has 4 slots, but only one of them that you can highlight and the rest of them are fading, with the 4th almost faded to nothing.
Just looking on it for the first time I can clearly see it implies 25 base roster slots (including Shao Khan as he is there, marked as DLC) and the last row is dlc. The gradual fading of the last 3 slots implies more DLC to come. And the first slot in the last row (which is the only one among them that isn't faded in any way and can be highlighted) being the 1st announced DLC, Shang Tsung.
That seems clear to me for some reason, and seems the most realistic scenario if you apply logic.
If you go to it on a PC, its 5 total rows. going 6/7/6/5/5. Using logic, if they were going to put dlc slots on there they would either put all of them on there (6) or just put one to show the first dlc character off before release. They would not randomly only put 4 slots for dlc when we know there will be 6 in KP1.

When you take the leaked character select screen into perspective, theres 3 spots extra that are unnacounted for.
34 total slots:
Shao + 6 dlc + 24 base = 31. which lines up exactly with the roster page only having 1 dlc slot. Which is the same number of spots unaccounted for on the roster page.

If you go to it on a PC, its 5 total rows. going 6/7/6/5/5. Using logic, if they were going to put dlc slots on there they would either put all of them on there (6) or just put one to show the first dlc character off before release. They would not randomly only put 4 slots for dlc when we know there will be 6 in KP1.

When you take the leaked character select screen into perspective, theres 3 spots extra that are unnacounted for.
34 total slots:
Shao + 6 dlc + 24 base = 31. which lines up exactly with the roster page only having 1 dlc slot. Which is the same number of spots unaccounted for on the roster page.
I am not here to argue about it because it all will be clear in less than a month, I just hope you guys are ready to be disappointed) boon has repeated the number 25 several times already.

Kratilim

Noob
I am not here to argue about it because it all will be clear in less than a month, I just hope you guys are ready to be disappointed) boon has repeated the number 25 several times already.
I'm with you on this one. Although I can't help but say this: Outside of supposed leaks (without any actual evidence mind you), the only evidence to think more than 25 is that there are more thumbnails on the roster page. But as many have stated, I think thats just DLC teasing. And even the roster image leak did not have more than 25. You guys really are setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd try and accept that there's 25. Then if it actually does end up being more, it'll be great.

Expect the worst case scenario (which is still one of the best rosters to date imo), then you'll always protect yourself from getting your hopes up.

I HIGHLY doubt Reptile and Ermac will be DLC, NRS are gonna wanna give us character's who weren't base roster in X.

Like, Reptile was the least selected character in X...nobody would pay for him.

Afumba

Noob
If 25 is the real final number people will be disappointed for sure and understandably so.

Putting DLC slots on the official roster page (beside the Shang slot) before the game is released would be a total dick move. Especially with all the talks about secret characters.

Besides if Shao Kahn is one of those 25 Boon is talking about then what he really means is 24 as he is DLC. People that dont pre order will have to pay for him extra.

For above reasons (and cuz this is NRS and not EA) i choose to believe that Boon is trying to keep things secret and not that they are messing with their customers.

Afumba

Noob
I HIGHLY doubt Reptile and Ermac will be DLC, NRS are gonna wanna give us character's who weren't base roster in X.

Like, Reptile was the least selected character in X...nobody would pay for him.
I hope you are wrong :)

About Reptile... maybe his low pick rate wasnt cuz people dont like Reptile but how they made him play in X?