What's new

Raiden Match-Ups Thread

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
What are Raiden’s worst matchups at the moment? Feels like an uphill battle against most people since other characters command the screen much better than he does. Scorpion in both variations is a pain, Baraka is hard too.
I don't have a whole lot of match-ups experience, but Scorpion and Geras give me a lot of trouble. I struggle against Kung Lao some, but I think that's just me being confused by his mobility too much and not being able to punish him (with D1) when he teleports. Sub-Zero also is kind of tricky because of his Low-Overhead mix-ups, but he has a hard time getting in. Other than that, I don't feel anybody else has a significant edge over Raiden.

Raiden has excellent mobility and the best corner carry in the game, plus an above average corner pressure. Once I get them in the corner, I usually do a ton of damage and most people struggle to get out.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I don't have a whole lot of match-ups experience, but Scorpion and Geras give me a lot of trouble. I struggle against Kung Lao some, but I think that's just me being confused by his mobility too much and not being able to punish him (with D1) when he teleports. Sub-Zero also is kind of tricky because of his Low-Overhead mix-ups, but he has a hard time getting in. Other than that, I don't feel anybody else has a significant edge over Raiden.

Raiden has excellent mobility and the best corner carry in the game, plus an above average corner carry. Once I get them in the corner, I usually do a ton of damage and most people struggle to get out.
I’d agree with Scorpion and Geras. I’m feeling like it’s more that top tier tools can help them deal with any matchup, rather than lower tiers lacking tools to deal with top tiers

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Raiden is incredible at getting them into the corner, but I find that once I get them into the corner, Raiden is not especially strong. His only safe cancel (e.g., off b12) is the cancel into away teleport, and he can no longer do it when the opponent is in the corner, so it feels like he actually he has less options once his opponent gets put into the corner...

ValeDJ

Noob
It could just be the opponents I've played in ranked, but Raijin...in the corner...he is deadly. Saying that, Kang and Shang are horrible to play against

Against scorpion do you think raijin will be better?
He doesn't have a strong approach that doesn't involve making you block. You lose hard punishes on teleports, but I'm assuming at higher levels the scorpion is not as teleport happy anyways.

ValeDJ

Noob
It depends if its Reborn. I feel Raijin is a better MU for SR, as he has to commit to the teleport at full screen or do a risky spear, as you control that mid/jumping range so well. You have to have your buff on though, and learning when to use it is key. Punishing a gap in strings with buff on feels so satisfying. Then with his corner carry so prominent, it becomes a baiting f3 b1 AA game, which is where I think he is strong. Again, it probably is the players I've come across haha.

I agree Subzero is a favorable mu for Raiden. My feeling is that it looks very dangerous for subzero to zone raiden because of teleport. Like Raiden, Subzero projectiles are quit slow (preparation phase) so it doesn't deserve him against Raiden.

Against Scorpion, I have more pain, it looks too dangerous to make any projectiles at distance because of his Teleport.

But my MAIN problem is when Raiden is blocked on a corner against a strong pressure character (Jacquie or LiuKang), the U3 wake up is not enough stronger to me. Also, I still have a lot of difficulties to make flawless block online.

In general, all characters which have KB on punishing mooves are dangerous for Raiden :D

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Raiden is incredible at getting them into the corner, but I find that once I get them into the corner, Raiden is not especially strong. His only safe cancel (e.g., off b12) is the cancel into away teleport, and he can no longer do it when the opponent is in the corner, so it feels like he actually he has less options once his opponent gets put into the corner...
Here is what I do in the corner. It seems to work well on most people i play:

--mix-up F3, 2 with F3 stagger into throw. Follow-up blocked F3, 2 with D1.
--B1, 4 works sometimes, but most people have learned how to block the second hit so use it very sparringly
--once they are knocked down, do jump punch or jump kick. That also takes care of the U3 wake-up, plus it's (mostly) safe on block.
--for opponents that like to roll, B3, 1 is good because the second hit connects on both sides
--backing up and doing F4 catches people who like to do wake-ups or attack as soon as they get up
--D4 frametraps into F4. This can be used anywhere on the screen too.
--B2 is a powerful corner tool as well. I find most people tend to block low there because Raiden's Overhead
game is not strong, so B2 has a pretty good success rate. If it hits one time that sets up a really good mix-up
because now they have to guess if you are going to go for a second B2, which leads to a KB and a high damage
combo, or B3, 1 (which is a Low starter), or even a throw.
--2, 4, 3 also works well in the corner

You can also try Raiden's Option Select. I am not sure how to do it, though somebody made a video about it. It was on the front page of TYM sometime ago. Supposedly, it can counter all wake-up and roll options.

Last edited:

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
As a Raiden main this is MY list of who's been my most difficult matches:

-Sub-Zero
-Jax
-Noob
-Cassie Cage
-Kitana
-Erron Black

I want to make a list of Raiden's MU but it's 2 early to call anything.

BTW I think Raiden does great against Jacqui and Centrion

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Hi guys!

Cassie player just strolling through. Anybody willing and able to give me games? Believe it or not, I kind of struggle in this MU as I'm not entirely familiar with Raiden. I rarely play radiens so I have no really tech to lab and learn.

Thanks!

My PSN: Vengeance135

Btw I can help you guys with the MU if you struggle!

Mandolore1123

Hi guys!

Cassie player just strolling through. Anybody willing and able to give me games? Believe it or not, I kind of struggle in this MU as I'm not entirely familiar with Raiden. I rarely play radiens so I have no really tech to lab and learn.

Thanks!

My PSN: Vengeance135

Btw I can help you guys with the MU if you struggle!
Where are you from? So we can ensure good connections when the playing :)

AbeW

Noob
Welcome to Ed Boon's baby, version 2.0. Or maybe 11.0? He had some pretty irritating shit in MKX as well. This time they traded cheesey unblockables for more "subtle" things like safe strings or moves. On paper, Scorp plays to Raiden's strengths in that patience is well rewarded (a YOLO teleport is bound to come eventually). But in reality, he's far more irritating to deal with. Wish I had better answers.
In MKX, displacer vs hellfire was an even matchup. Master of storms beat ninjitsu IF you overcame the execution barrier with Raiden. (Raiden was the most execution heavy and Scorpion was a complete potato for the most part). MK11, it is a winning matchup for Scorpion. But, of course, most scorpion wielders are scrublords who can be stuffed easily. But, if you fought ummm let's see,,,, Noble Raptor's scorpion, you'll know what i mean

AbeW

Noob
As a Raiden main this is MY list of who's been my most difficult matches:

-Sub-Zero
-Jax
-Noob
-Cassie Cage
-Kitana
-Erron Black

I want to make a list of Raiden's MU but it's 2 early to call anything.

BTW I think Raiden does great against Jacqui and Centrion
Subzero - start reacting to his overhead, works consistently with practice.
Jax - Don't get close, stay at B1's range
Cassie - her zoning's not an issue...do some goonie style cancels into teleport mindfk chaos and precondition opponent.
Erron Blk - a bit oppressive as fk. Do the same as for Cassie
Have only fought scrublord Noobs and Kitanas so far. So, i don't know about Noob/Kitana. But, it can't get worse than Erron

ValeDJ

Noob
@TendouTensei good to see you again mate! Been a long time!

I'm going to go out on a whim here, but I do feel Raiden Raijin is strong against Kung Lao, Johnny, Erron and Sub. I've now got use to EB players cancelling into scud shot and punishing with his 4 frame charge. Scarlett is also a problem for Raijin, but then a switch to thunder Wave can even up the odds.

Mandolore1123

How would you guys approach the Cetrion MU? I find her 112 staggers and B2 mid string to be most annoying. We have slightly better mobility and control of mid screen due to F4 and TP cancels but her hit boxes on normals are pretty far out making them hard to whiff punish. Any tips?

A lot of Cetrion are Jumping to make fire projectile, so I make the Air electric fly a lot of time. If it works he will stop.
Btw Cetrion is a strong character and difficult to play with all character, Raiden is clearly not the worst match up but Raiden projectiles are too slow (preparation phase) and Cetrion will have fore sure the advantage at distance.
I recommend to stay close, press and punish when you can. A lot of Cetrion are making D1 + projectile, on block I think it can be punished.
If you cannot win with Raiden, SubZero is a good option agaisnt her.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sometimes when Cetrion does her air fire to zone, Raiden can take her ass out of the air with lightning bolts. I kind of feel that match up is 50/50 but she is annoying.

Scorpion gives him a rough time but then Scorp gives everyone a hard time.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
@MKF30 Decided to move the convo here since someone asked us to. for everyone else this post is about Raiden vs Frost.

I'm not going to address the "reads or guesses" thing because it's not important to the discussion and doesn't change anything no matter how you define it.

The main point of my argument is that frost played properly uses tools where Raiden simply cannot contest. This means not fullscreen projectiles that get teleported. Not only doing B22 Spin every time. Not being overly reliant on F2. Proper spacing on her buttons. Actually taking advantage of Frost strengths. This makes it exceptionally difficult for Raiden to play to his strengths which actually rely on neutral then staggers to score knockdowns/corner carry so he then can take advantage of his mix. He's not the type of character to constantly keep space like Jade, Kitana, Cassie. And he also doesn't excel at tricky in your face pressure like Jax or Liu Kang. He's somewhere in the middle and Frost just so happens to exploit him.

To answer the range Raiden has F1 (16f up angled high), F2 (21f High), F4 (19f mid), Fly (21f mid special we all know), Teleport (11f NOT 1f. not even ex is 1f), bolt (28f high projectile), and strike (27f mid directable "projectile"). Everything here is some combo of slow and or high and teleport is just risky to just do. Everything else doesn't actually contend at the range of Frost's D4 so to be able to threaten with anything else he has to be well inside of Frost's range. Meanwhile Frost is using normal that do have somewhat slower startup on average (B2 and F2 both 19f) she's much safer because of a lack of hurtbox with more range. She gets faster better projectiles and a projectile shield. And she only has to be in your face if she wants to. And then she can cancel into safe spin for free unlike Raiden who is spending def bar when he cancels for any amount of safety.

Which move are you referring to? Her S1 and S3 both have little horizontal range. 22 is +5f but easily ducked so no frost would use them in your face unless they want to get immediately poked and lose their turn. S4 also has limited range and is a high so you can poke. Im not sure which high move you are referring to.
F2. It functions the same as Jacqui's dash punch. Long range quick high that you want to duck which opens up the long range which just also happens to be B22 for frost as well. The added bonus being since it's a sword normal there's no hurtbox at the end. You can't "hit" the ice blades. it also pushes back unlike Jacqui's.

D4 is a great tool for sure. When blocked, it is -9f but Im not familiar enough with raiden to know what your options are afterward. Maybe a teleport? I don’t know. Alternatively, if you block her D4, then the match is back at neutral. Depending on the distance, a quick dash in grab could catch ppl off guard.
Please go check what options are available if you want to discuss this. -9 means nothing at the range D4 reaches. If a frost properly uses their tools there's only certain characters who can really "retaliate" against her with buttons. Teleporting after blocking D4 makes raiden negative. The match is back to neutral but this is where Frost does better than Raiden. Which is a common theme in my points about the match up. Everything the frost does besides just going in with spin just leads to more neutral where she's perfectly fine and actually should want to play the match against raiden.

B22 is her main tool and once you have the flawless block of the second hit down, you’ve shut down most of her game plan. Now you can say “ok but Frost can do B22~Spin”. The spin is -4f so you can poke me first. If you start doing that, I will block your poke and take my turn back with my 16f mid. If I start waiting for your poke, you switch it up by going into a grab or a string. If you start doing that, Ill poke right after my spin. And the cycle goes on. You have to try to figure out (i.e. read based on previous experiences) what im about to do, just like I have to try to figure out what you’re going to do after my spin is over. You only guess if you’re unfamiliar with the MU. When you know the MU and know each option I can do and you can do, then it’s a lot more than just a guess, it's an informed decision from each player.
IF flawless block is "shutting down" your plans then you aren't properly playing around it. The only option here isn't just the full B22 spin. As for stuff after spin, we're back on the read/guess situation. You can try to make all the informed decisions you want but at the end of the day you don't know what's going to happen. You don't know if D1 is the right play or not. And yes that's apart of the MU and just the way it is. This isn't really a pro or con for either but this situation is much more in Frost control. For Raiden to do anything similar he has a much harder time especially against Frost. And if he want's to cancel into something he's spend defensive bar on block. Where Frost different ranges for her buttons have some leeway and overlap Raiden does not. Frost's plan comes in to play way before Raiden's does.

A good Frost will only use that tool seldomly. You duck it and it’s a full combo punish because its recovery on whiff is 29f or you can D2(KB). You block it, we are at 0 and your 7f D1 beats her 9f D1. You try to punish with a string, which many unfamiliar with Frost try to do, you eat a poke and lose your turn. It’s a big risk and if you see a Frost player use F2 a lot, you can bait it and punish. Which is what @MKF30 was doing to me.
Exactly use it seldomly. You only need the threat of even simple movement getting caught by this move. As for being 0 on block again with this range you're not worried about anything. There's much more context the game isn't purely numbers. If you're in spots where you're actually worried about the 7F D1 after F2 you're playing incorrectly. Proper use will see Raiden's D1 become irrelevant while your D1 actually has much more range than his as well. Couple with better movement (her back step is really good) there's nothing here for Raiden except to just keep ducking hoping he catches a whiff. While, as you said, a good frost will actually seldomly do this move.

16f for the first projectile to come out, add the travelling time of a fairly slow projectile and a huge recovery and its very doable. Her other projectile, the one that travels in an arc, is a High so you can duck it or also react to it since its pretty slow. Especially since Raiden’s teleport has a 1f startup.
If you are reacting to 16f with teleport (it's 11f not 1) then the frost player is again playing incorrectly. You must be full screen or something and why would anyone just shoot anything at full screen against any teleporter? Walk forward. Or don't. Raiden cannot dictate the game from fullscreen he's weakest at that range. You think any Raiden is actually going to react to projectiles at 2 dashes away? Not if you've been properly abusing her long range buttons and making him focus more on moving around and being mindful of distances.

And this is just without taking into account her other options as well. A projectile shield and that other lobbed high projectile is ridiculously fast 12f (just like Sonya) and also recovers very quickly with a really good hitbox. I don't think Frost players are actually taking advantage of how good of a projectile this really is combined with the rest of her neutral. Maybe I haven't faced the right ones but even in talking about this matchup before I don't see anyone mention it. Any Raiden record frost taking 2 steps back and do the close version and see for yourself.

if you ask me what the MU is, like 5-5 or 6-4 or wtv, I dont know. I havent played enough Raidens to know. But what I can tell you is that once Frost is demystified, you realize how she is a fundamentally lack luster character and the only way to win with her is to see a person's pattern and adapt to it with risky funky shit.
If you're on XBL, Id love to play some games too (gt: k1ndred)
Frost isn't a mystery. This can all be plainly seen with just some time in the lab. What risk does frost have to take against Raiden when her buttons reach longer than his and he doesn't have much to retaliate with besides things like F4 (the 19f lightning knee), bolt (28f high projectile), Strike (27f mid lightning), and teleport (11f movement with no attack and he's either right next to you or away but at the cost of bar)? There's no way this matchup isn't a losing MU for Raiden. Where does he gain any advantage or at least mitigate the strengths of Frost tools?

Wish I could play but I'm on PS4.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Raiden has 1 winning matchup....raiden.... every other matchup is he loses. not by much so he's not the worst character in the game, but to beat anyone you have to overwhelmingly out play them similar to noob. He has tools dont get me wrong all of those lead to unsafe options horrible horrid buttons up close in the silliest projectiles in bolt and thunder.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@ ExpectFlames: That's not true at all, Raiden doesn't lose "every" match up. Ive beaten Sonya's, Cassies, Jax's in this game albeit not easily by any means it's just an uphill battle most of the time and I would also say he really gives Jade lots of trouble, whenever I play competitive Jades they seem like they don't know what to do against Raiden especially when I'm moving around a lot with his teleport placement.

@MKF30 Decided to move the convo here since someone asked us to. for everyone else this post is about Raiden vs Frost.

I'm not going to address the "reads or guesses" thing because it's not important to the discussion and doesn't change anything no matter how you define it.

The main point of my argument is that frost played properly uses tools where Raiden simply cannot contest. This means not fullscreen projectiles that get teleported. Not only doing B22 Spin every time. Not being overly reliant on F2. Proper spacing on her buttons. Actually taking advantage of Frost strengths. This makes it exceptionally difficult for Raiden to play to his strengths which actually rely on neutral then staggers to score knockdowns/corner carry so he then can take advantage of his mix. He's not the type of character to constantly keep space like Jade, Kitana, Cassie. And he also doesn't excel at tricky in your face pressure like Jax or Liu Kang. He's somewhere in the middle and Frost just so happens to exploit him.

To answer the range Raiden has F1 (16f up angled high), F2 (21f High), F4 (19f mid), Fly (21f mid special we all know), Teleport (11f NOT 1f. not even ex is 1f), bolt (28f high projectile), and strike (27f mid directable "projectile"). Everything else doesn't actually contend at the range of Frost's D4 so to be able to threaten with anything else he has to be well inside of Frost's range.
Was about to say Kindred just responded to you regarding Frost but since we're here now lol. Anyway, I think IMO it's a consistent guess=read. Everyone will have their own unique definition of it, that's just mine. I mean we can all agree either way it's about anticipating what your opponent will do or trying to. Semantics. So I agree it's not that important to elaborate on that term.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree that Raiden can't contest with some of her moves, I mean like I was saying earlier. I rarely play good Frost's but Kindred's is pretty damn good and I didn't feel like I couldn't counter him at times or form a defensive against her. I didn't feel restricted like say against Scorpion or Erron Black where they force you to play their game. Also, keep in mind Raiden's game a big part of it is countering in this game and playing defensively at times. I play VERY defensively and zone a lot, ask Kindred. He's played me a lot, so if you were to play me you would most likely be very surprised as I'm not a constantly in your face Raiden, trying to out footsie you. I know what his better moves are at mid, so I assure you if I were to contest her moves they would be with safe, effective moves of my own unless you were low health and me mid to high then I may take a chance on something unsafe just to finish you off. His F4 or 3 come out fast and are good staggers but I would be mixing this up with pokes, D3's, throws, B2 etc if I had to up close. Nobody is like Jade in this game or Cetrion in terms of staying far, zoning well but Raiden can zone to a degree, I do it all the time but some characters you don't want to try it like say against Kano because he can get in fast with the balls or obviously someone like Scorpion with a teleport or someone fast. I've zoned Jax's from a far though only, and LK if he's losing I'll use his BF1 but never his lightning bolt, because that can be easily punished with a flying kick. I use LK as well so trust me I know how he gets in. This is his biggest way to not just punish but get in the at the same time. Though LK if played against wisely, can be punished if you read his amp fireballs with a teleport then combo if you time it right and do it fast.

HIs F1 string I rarely do, when I do it tends to confuse people because I rarely use it so chances are you wouldn't see me doing that to you often when I can mix you up with other tactics I use with Raiden. His D3 is fast enough to back Frost and most characters off in this game on counter pokes or after a teleport and like Kindred mentioned, her F2 while a great fast, checking move can be punished by Raiden.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
@ ExpectFlames: That's not true at all, Raiden doesn't lose "every" match up. Ive beaten Sonya's, Cassies, Jax's in this game albeit not easily by any means it's just an uphill battle most of the time and I would also say he really gives Jade lots of trouble, whenever I play competitive Jades they seem like they don't know what to do against Raiden especially when I'm moving around a lot with his teleport placement.

Was about to say Kindred just responded to you regarding Frost but since we're here now lol. Anyway, I think IMO it's a consistent guess=read. Everyone will have their own unique definition of it, that's just mine. I mean we can all agree either way it's about anticipating what your opponent will do or trying to. Semantics. So I agree it's not that important to elaborate on that term.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree that Raiden can't contest with some of her moves, I mean like I was saying earlier. I rarely play good Frost's but Kindred's is pretty damn good and I didn't feel like I couldn't counter him at times or form a defensive against her. I didn't feel restricted like say against Scorpion or Erron Black where they force you to play their game. Also, keep in mind Raiden's game a big part of it is countering in this game and playing defensively at times. I play VERY defensively and zone a lot, ask Kindred. He's played me a lot, so if you were to play me you would most likely be very surprised as I'm not a constantly in your face Raiden, trying to out footsie you. I know what his better moves are at mid, so I assure you if I were to contest her moves they would be with safe, effective moves of my own unless you were low health and me mid to high then I may take a chance on something unsafe just to finish you off. His F4 or 3 come out fast and are good staggers but I would be mixing this up with pokes, D3's, throws, B2 etc if I had to up close. Nobody is like Jade in this game or Cetrion in terms of staying far, zoning well but Raiden can zone to a degree, I do it all the time but some characters you don't want to try it like say against Kano because he can get in fast with the balls or obviously someone like Scorpion with a teleport or someone fast. I've zoned Jax's from a far though only, and LK if he's losing I'll use his BF1 but never his lightning bolt, because that can be easily punished with a flying kick. I use LK as well so trust me I know how he gets in. This is his biggest way to not just punish but get in the at the same time. Though LK if played against wisely, can be punished if you read his amp fireballs with a teleport then combo if you time it right and do it fast.

HIs F1 string I rarely do, when I do it tends to confuse people because I rarely use it so chances are you wouldn't see me doing that to you often when I can mix you up with other tactics I use with Raiden. His D3 is fast enough to back Frost and most characters off in this game on counter pokes or after a teleport and like Kindred mentioned, her F2 while a great fast, checking move can be punished by Raiden.
Please actually explain what you're doing. What do you do from Frost B22 range? D4 range? What do you after you block B2 or D4? You say Raiden's game is countering, countering what and how? You can't zone a frost. That makes 0 sense. I wouldn't be surprised about how you play. Raiden can't stay in someone's face it's not how he's designed. You get in and out switching tempos. F4 is 19f, that is not fast. Raiden himself has 2 mids and a low that is faster. I haven't gotten a single actual counter point to anything I've said.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers

Losing matchup doesnt mean he never wins, to clarify most of his matchups are 6-4 7-3 storm cell not withstanding his buttons are shit his zoning is shit and unless your totally dominating a set your not winning it. Super all or nothing character