What's new

Raiden Match Footage

I think it’s no secret his kbs are trash compared to others in the game so it’s logical for nrs to buff them or make requirements easier
His only bad KB is the fly KB, which I still get pretty often on reads anyway. I think reverting it to the old KB conditions would be good and would also be a buff to TW (air to air amp fly). Or, taking your idea of loading it after 3 amps like Sub-Zero could be a good universal change too. It's essentially a dead KB at the moment outside of really edge cases imo.
2b is fine, 121 is fine, f throw is fine.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
His only bad KB is the fly KB, which I still get pretty often on reads anyway. I think reverting it to the old KB conditions would be good and would also be a buff to TW (air to air amp fly). Or, taking your idea of loading it after 3 amps like Sub-Zero could be a good universal change too. It's essentially a dead KB at the moment outside of really edge cases imo.
2b is fine, 121 is fine, f throw is fine.
His 121 is fine I agree, his b2 could be better if his b2 was faster and his Superman one I think we can all agree isn’t the best. His throwing one is alright. I connect that kB more than b2 one. I’ve also gotten his superman one in some combos but doesn’t always come out. I like using his b2 for 5050 mix up more than his kB.

His 121 is fine I agree, his b2 could be better if his b2 was faster and his Superman one I think we can all agree isn’t the best. His throwing one is alright. I connect that kB more than b2 one. I’ve also gotten his superman one in some combos but doesn’t always come out. I like using his b2 for 5050 mix up more than his kB.
Using fly KB in that one combo is not worth it anyways, but I agree it should change.
b2 is the same speed as Sub's f2 and everyone insists that move is unreactable online, its speed is fine but I would like more reach.
Anyways, we should stop cluttering up the videos thread and move this back to Discussions thread.

MKF30

Using fly KB in that one combo is not worth it anyways, but I agree it should change.
b2 is the same speed as Sub's f2 and everyone insists that move is unreactable online, its speed is fine but I would like more reach.
Anyways, we should stop cluttering up the videos thread and move this back to Discussions thread.
I think subs move feels like it comes out faster or if same speed the hit box seems better range etcBut I agree that that move is overrated imo especially compared to other strings in the game. The reach is def an issue I wouldn’t mind it having a tad more range. But yeah I’ll soon post some raiden vids I have from this past and last kL.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
In case you didnt see it yet NRS God playing Thunder God again

Thanks for putting this up. Though I strongly suspect this is from the same stream where Fox and Foxy were playing when Fox was first putting in work with Raiden. Why SF decides to fragment them and post them at such weird time intervals is beyond me

Okay people! Sorry for the late response, but here ya go, brand new video with over 1 hour of Truth and Light ass whoopings on Kombat League! I still have even more footage of ranked matches to share, so that one will be ready to upload in a few weeks hopefully (too much overtime hours at my current job lol).

Hopefully this can inspire more people to train their skills with Truth and Light! Enjoy the vid, and let me know what you guys think!

Mandolore1123

is raijin so good as sonic said? what is opinion of raiden mainers?
Pretty good control of the neutral, amazing 6f punisher, does decent damage, suffers from heavy zoning and turtling. Overall not the best but certainly not too bad. Needs hitbox fixes, could use some minor buffs to certain normals and block frames.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Hopefully this can inspire more people to train their skills with Truth and Light! Enjoy the vid, and let me know what you guys think!
I'm at work right now, so I only had time to quick jot some thoughts down on the first match against Clnt Bstwood (love that name):

Notes on the first match against Clnt_Bstwood:

-Lag issues seemed tough

-He clearly didn’t understand T&L’s bubble and he kept trying to jump out of it

-It seems like you went for a lot of BF1 that ended up missing, especially the amped BF1. Not sure if this was for lag, but maybe DF2 would have been better? Or in the case the opponent jumping and getting hit by the bubble, maybe F2, F4, or Jo Push would have worked better?

-DB2 seemed to really win the match for you, kabal just kept jumping and kept getting caught

-Overall it was a good match, although it’s hard to see where playing the T&L variation really played much of a difference. The moves that gave you the most success were all moves that Raiden has in his base kit, the T&L moves didn’t seem to come into play too often.

Thanks for posting, I'll try and watch more of the video this afternoon.

I'm at work right now, so I only had time to quick jot some thoughts down on the first match against Clnt Bstwood (love that name):

Notes on the first match against Clnt_Bstwood:

-Lag issues seemed tough

-He clearly didn’t understand T&L’s bubble and he kept trying to jump out of it

-It seems like you went for a lot of BF1 that ended up missing, especially the amped BF1. Not sure if this was for lag, but maybe DF2 would have been better? Or in the case the opponent jumping and getting hit by the bubble, maybe F2, F4, or Jo Push would have worked better?

-DB2 seemed to really win the match for you, kabal just kept jumping and kept getting caught

-Overall it was a good match, although it’s hard to see where playing the T&L variation really played much of a difference. The moves that gave you the most success were all moves that Raiden has in his base kit, the T&L moves didn’t seem to come into play too often.

Thanks for posting, I'll try and watch more of the video this afternoon.
In several of the matches the staff plant and BF1 projectile come in handy. BF1 in Truth and Light is much stronger, since it tracks with the Rod and bounces lightning off for a double shot (or triple shot if amplified). Does solid chip damage even if blocked and also bounces up or down, if an enemy ducks or jumps.

MKF30

In several of the matches the staff plant and BF1 projectile come in handy. BF1 in Truth and Light is much stronger, since it tracks with the Rod and bounces lightning off for a double shot (or triple shot if amplified). Does solid chip damage even if blocked and also bounces up or down, if an enemy ducks or jumps.
Nice job dude, I can tell that 3rd Variation is an uphill battle dude. Kudos, lol @ that one Kabal player who was teabagging you before he did a fatality. I just found that funny, like he's facing one of the worst Variations in the entire game and does that....lol But I found your Raiden very fun and interesting to watch. Even inspirational.

it’s hard to see where playing the T&L variation really played much of a difference.
@UnshavenRaven
Thank you for the video, however I feel this statement is accurate throughout.
Sure, there's some moments where the opponent gets tripped up by the amped lightning rod, but otherwise I have to agree with Marlow here. Your biggest plays came from using a move that we also get in Raijin (db2).

I noticed a lot of b12~rod on block. In T&L there is no way to make this safe whatsoever, so the fact your opponents were letting you get away with this shows their inexperience against Raiden which hurts the T&L representation overall here. Doing this would be an immediate death sentence against anyone more familiar with Raiden.
Same goes for Jo Push. You don't use your first one until 6 minutes in, and a lot of the time it's on block as well which isn't safe either.
(this isn't a knock against your hit confirming, btw, I don't successfully hit confirm everything I do either)

You mention at the start of the video that this variation is all about the staggers, but I didn't really see any of that idea actualized in your matches. Could you elaborate on this?

In general I just don't agree with dumping meter on a move like Lightning Rod that isn't going to get you much beyond perhaps annoying the opponent into making mistakes, which of course isn't something to bank on going in. The setups into fatal blow or b2 or whatever corner thing are all really cool stuff but I just don't see them happening with any consistency in real matches. So far this variation is looking like nothing but a giant gimmick, and that's a real problem.

Now despite the fact you won most of your games (grats) I think if you had played any other variation you could have done so a lot smoother and easier. Hell, Raiden is a better character variationless than with T&L equipped, and I think your video was more of a showcase of this fact than anything. So again, thank you for recording it.

Also, what was with b2 attempts after d2 KB? db2 miss input?

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
Watch this throw!!!

Thank you for the footage @UnshavenRaven

My advice is work on hitconfirms, in 1:05:53 you could punish him instead of buble, this throw after is a lose-lose situation lol only 8% and you are knocked down what a bs. If it breaks KB throw its even more painfull.

In general propz for playing this trash variation, but most damage u dealt was from his base kit unfortunetelly.

Nice job dude, I can tell that 3rd Variation is an uphill battle dude. Kudos, lol @ that one Kabal player who was teabagging you before he did a fatality. I just found that funny, like he's facing one of the worst Variations in the entire game and does that....lol But I found your Raiden very fun and interesting to watch. Even inspirational.
Lol, I loved that match, especially since I ended up whooping his ass to close out the set, made it that much more satisfying since he was teabagging like a douche early on. Truth be told, he's a pretty solid player, we've bumped into each other a few times on Ranked, both of us getting wins on each other. He tends always gloat when he wins though, lol; the type that does a Fatality on every single win, and teabags on every opportunity.

It's sad and hilarious that sometimes even very skilled, high level players act like salty assholes after losing (or get all smug when they get a close win). In the next Truth and Light video I'll be uploading you'll see one of the guys straight up rage quit before the set even finishes lol. I also wish I could have recorded the opponent's audio in one of the matches in this video, (the Johnny Cage/Cassie player from 44:14 until 51:26). That dude was talking nonstop shit on his headset, saying "Raiden is trash", all I'm doing "is getting lucky", and that I'm "garbage", etc, etc.... I end up murdering his Cassie with an amped DB4 Rod Plant, and BF1 Lightning Brutality. It was beautiful karma, lol.

Now despite the fact you won most of your games (grats) I think if you had played any other variation you could have done so a lot smoother and easier. Hell, Raiden is a better character variationless than with T&L equipped, and I think your video was more of a showcase of this fact than anything. So again, thank you for recording it.

Also, what was with b2 attempts after d2 KB? db2 miss input?
To everyone, thanks for all the feedback and analysis! We got a great discussion going here. In regards to the B2 attempts after D2, lol yeah, that was actually just a missed input on my part haha. Certain matches had little lag spikes throwing off my button timing.

In regards to the Truth and Light specials, I did fire them out a lot, but sometimes it's not always noticeable to someone who isn't familiar with the T & L kit. I should have probably clarified a little more when I stated "staggers". I was referring to constantly pressuring and staggering an opponent's rhythm with the Amped Bubble spark shot that shoots out whenever an opponent tries to move or attack while near it. Even though it doesn't do much damage on its own, it works to "scare" my opponent into fearing pressing buttons, which allows me to dictate the pace and fire out slower attacks fairly safely; so if he ignores the bubble and charges forward to attack, he'll get staggered with the spark shot, and I usually follow up close with an overhead or low string mixup, or a throw. If he plays the patient game and waits for the bubble to go away, I run up close and starts pressuring with pokes and strings (or a throw), and he still gets hit with an extra chip damage anyway.

The other choice I make is I just plant the Rod (without amplify) right behind my opponent while he's getting up. I then shoot out an amped BF1 lightning and get a Triple Shot from the Rod reflecting the lightning.

At other times, I plant the Rod near them, just to see if they'll react wildly and attack and whiff, in which it opens up an opportunity for a full string.

Again, thanks for the awesome feedback from everyone; more truth and Light footage on its way soon.

MKF30

Lol, I loved that match, especially since I ended up whooping his ass to close out the set, made it that much more satisfying since he was teabagging like a douche early on. Truth be told, he's a pretty solid player, we've bumped into each other a few times on Ranked, both of us getting wins on each other. He tends always gloat when he wins though, lol; the type that does a Fatality on every single win, and teabags on every opportunity.

It's sad and hilarious that sometimes even very skilled, high level players act like salty assholes after losing (or get all smug when they get a close win). In the next Truth and Light video I'll be uploading you'll see one of the guys straight up rage quit before the set even finishes lol. I also wish I could have recorded the opponent's audio in one of the matches in this video, (the Johnny Cage/Cassie player from 44:14 until 51:26). That dude was talking nonstop shit on his headset, saying "Raiden is trash", all I'm doing "is getting lucky", and that I'm "garbage", etc, etc.... I end up murdering his Cassie with an amped DB4 Rod Plant, and BF1 Lightning Brutality. It was beautiful karma, lol.

To everyone, thanks for all the feedback and analysis! We got a great discussion going here. In regards to the B2 attempts after D2, lol yeah, that was actually just a missed input on my part haha. Certain matches had little lag spikes throwing off my button timing.

In regards to the Truth and Light specials, I did fire them out a lot, but sometimes it's not always noticeable to someone who isn't familiar with the T & L kit. I should have probably clarified a little more when I stated "staggers". I was referring to constantly pressuring and staggering an opponent's rhythm with the Amped Bubble spark shot that shoots out whenever an opponent tries to move or attack while near it. Even though it doesn't do much damage on its own, it works to "scare" my opponent into fearing pressing buttons, which allows me to dictate the pace and fire out slower attacks fairly safely; so if he ignores the bubble and charges forward to attack, he'll get staggered with the spark shot, and I usually follow up close with an overhead or low string mixup, or a throw. If he plays the patient game and waits for the bubble to go away, I run up close and starts pressuring with pokes and strings (or a throw), and he still gets hit with an extra chip damage anyway.

The other choice I make is I just plant the Rod (without amplify) right behind my opponent while he's getting up. I then shoot out an amped BF1 lightning and get a Triple Shot from the Rod reflecting the lightning.

At other times, I plant the Rod near them, just to see if they'll react wildly and attack and whiff, in which it opens up an opportunity for a full string.

Again, thanks for the awesome feedback from everyone; more truth and Light footage on its way soon.
Nice lol yeah I've bumped into quite a few aholes in ranked and koth. Mostly ranked lol. This one guy picked kotal against me and I got pissed cause I was "running away" but I was tw raiden and moving around all over lol he was yelling in the mic"omg this guys Raiden is random af and making me chase his ass around wtf" lol. It worked so next round he picked either noob or scorp, beat me then I won the last with jade or liu kang wu shi.

I find raiden to do well vs cassie well tw at least due to the teleport but i can't speak for the other 2 variations in that match up as I rarely even get her anymore. That's awesome you beat him with truth & light. He must have been so salty lol.

I've run into mostly dicks on kl but sometimes nice people too who will discuss the matches afterwards.

Mandolore1123

Been playing a ton of truth n light. Cant seem to find much tech for it online. But I have some clips and ideas.

I think the restand from overhead is interesting to explore. Have you taken it to the lab and checked the block frames and hit advantage?
However, I think it’s been discussed in the general discussion thread that while you have enough advantage to backdash into AMP rod from summon lightning on hit, the opponent can use U3 to bypass the set up easily and we have to guess whether they U3 or not since if we try to pressure after AMP rod we will get hit by U3. I’m also not sure if we have enough time on AMP rod to cover delayed WU as an option.
@Trustful_Whale @Marlow what do you think?

I think the restand from overhead is interesting to explore. Have you taken it to the lab and checked the block frames and hit advantage?
However, I think it’s been discussed in the general discussion thread that while you have enough advantage to backdash into AMP rod from summon lightning on hit, the opponent can use U3 to bypass the set up easily and we have to guess whether they U3 or not since if we try to pressure after AMP rod we will get hit by U3. I’m also not sure if we have enough time on AMP rod to cover delayed WU as an option.
@Trustful_Whale @Marlow what do you think?
Yeah I think that OH restand is 0 or slightly negative tbh. Which gives them time to block and you dont whiff your grab. I think F32 restand is plus tho