What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
So I was a dedicated Quan player in MK9, and now in MKX as well. However, I am having difficulty finding a secondary main in MKX. If anyone here could give me some suggestions or ideas on who to try out, that would be swell. Hell, even just tell me who you main on the side. As much as I love Quan, I want to switch things up.
I like weird gameplay mechanics so I've been playing Relentless Jason, best grappler I've found so far and combine that with his 5 seconds of unlimited armor and switching controls and you have some fun gameplay. Other than that, learning Dvorah right now. I like her so far, has a lot of things Quan doesn't, footsies mostly and an armored wakeup. All 3 of her variations are prety interesting, Brood Mother for bat like setups, Swarm Queen for cancels, better footsies and pressure and venomous for chip and damage over time off of footsies and restands, pretty neat character overall.

D

Deleted member 9158

I like weird gameplay mechanics so I've been playing Relentless Jason, best grappler I've found so far and combine that with his 5 seconds of unlimited armor and switching controls and you have some fun gameplay. Other than that, learning Dvorah right now. I like her so far, has a lot of things Quan doesn't, footsies mostly and an armored wakeup. All 3 of her variations are prety interesting, Brood Mother for bat like setups, Swarm Queen for cancels, better footsies and pressure and venomous for chip and damage over time off of footsies and restands, pretty neat character overall.
I had an interest in D'vorah as well, maybe I'll give her another shot. I played with Jason for a bit when he was released as well, he was fun and very easy to use. Thanks!

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I want to learn quan-chi starting at sorcerer but there's no combos or setup threads. Can someone help me out even in this thread or a pm?

D

Deleted member 9158

Cybernetic or Cutthroat Kano
Yeah I messed around with commando kano (I think that's what the variation is called, the one with the command grabs) and he was a lot of fun. I'm also going to give Tanya a try tomorrow as well. Someone else suggested D'Vorah, but I haven't had a chance to play because of work

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
So mk was hotfixed today , in patch notes no quan changes but we all know how it is .... so anyone noticed any stealth changes to quan ?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Couple things about the Sub Zero match up...

Quan can only punish Sub's b2 with standing 2, and it is a tight window to do so.

None of his reversal options work. B2 doesn't work. He can block it all.

Good news, i found f21 to be the most consistent normal to go "through" the non-freezing part of the Clone that Tom Brady described.

Couple things about the Sub Zero match up...

Quan can only punish Sub's b2 with standing 2, and it is a tight window to do so.

None of his reversal options work. B2 doesn't work. He can block it all.

Good news, i found f21 to be the most consistent normal to go "through" the non-freezing part of the Clone that Tom Brady described.
I think you can punish his b2 with instant NJP , it's minimum start up is 6 or 7 frames and the range is awesome.

Jax v quan chi matchup is ridiculous. Played a guy who also mained Quan and jax so we played hes Jax vs my Quan and he was just all over me with the pressure till i pushed him away and was just zoning him out which gets boring and repetitive. Then i switched to Jax and he took Quan But Warlock, the Armored Launcher really changes the matchup
Quan can actually Fight teo to teo as Warlock armoring through block pressures is so important against Jax.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Jax v quan chi matchup is ridiculous. Played a guy who also mained Quan and jax so we played hes Jax vs my Quan and he was just all over me with the pressure till i pushed him away and was just zoning him out which gets boring and repetitive. Then i switched to Jax and he took Quan But Warlock, the Armored Launcher really changes the matchup
Quan can actually Fight teo to teo as Warlock armoring through block pressures is so important against Jax.
I think it's important for 80% of the cast against jax. The jab shit is crazy good and I've been put in the corner with a bunch of the cast and just had to hold it until I could armor out or got a lucky jump. Warlock quan bringing up the front in that matchup I think. Unless you can never make a mistake or the Jax let's up and drops something.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Warlock Quan is so boring though, I'll trade horrible point blank defense and wakeups for fun and powerful offense any day. Neuters the character completely for me in that variation.

Rude

Warlock Quan is so boring though, I'll trade horrible point blank defense and wakeups for fun and powerful offense any day. Neuters the character completely for me in that variation.
Warlock is really good.

People need to stop sleeping on it.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Warlock is really good.

People need to stop sleeping on it.
Good? I mean, Quan's b2 and his specials are good. But I just don't see the point? Does is offense excel that well? I've never seen anyone play Warlock Quan well yet. What would you even do? Just B2 and b32 mixups like usual except now you have an armor launcher? You can win with that sure but why though? Just seems like such a bad trade off.

Rude

Good? I mean, Quan's b2 and his specials are good. But I just don't see the point? Does is offense excel that well? I've never seen anyone play Warlock Quan well yet. What would you even do? Just B2 and b32 mixups like usual except now you have an armor launcher? You can win with that sure but why though? Just seems like such a bad trade off.

So you can armor through Quan Chi's regular vortex, right. Yeah. You can.

If you do b2 mb rune into another b2, you can armor.

Conversely, if you do b32 into mb rune, you can armor.

Warlock, however, does not suffer this problem.

MB Sword Stab forces the person only to guess. You cannot armor, you cannot backdash, you can only guess

With one bar using this vortex, you can take half life.

So that's for starters.

Teleport kick(f3) is a 9% tracking normal.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
So you can armor through Quan Chi's regular vortex, right. Yeah. You can.

If you do b2 mb rune into another b2, you can armor.

Conversely, if you do b32 into mb rune, you can armor.

Warlock, however, does not suffer this problem.

MB Sword Stab forces the person only to guess. You cannot armor, you cannot backdash, you can only guess

With one bar using this vortex, you can take half life.

So that's for starters.

Teleport kick(f3) is a 9% tracking normal.
What do you mean you can armor? When I hit you with trance that's a guaranteed mixup in both Summoner and Sorcerer. I believe b2 ex rune doesn't have a gap(at least not against the ai set to armored reversals). And the b32 low mixup does but again it's still a mixup, they are forced to guess and there's no way out and with Sorcerers armor and Summoner's bat you make b324 a much trickier low mixup with the potential to eat their move with your armor circle or to not have a gap with the use of the bat or to continue pressure with a low bat if they don't mash a armored special during the gap. You don't need Warlock for mixups, the other variations do them infinitely better. From what you've listed there's a mediocre normal move he can use and nothing else. Both Sorcerer and Summoner allow him better setups, more damage, more mixups, a way to make his unsafe mixups safe and create even more mixups with the bat as a mind game. The sword stab mixup warlock grants isn't even good, you need to waste a bar to do that right? Well you can do the same with Sorcerer and Summoner but better without any meter. I could go on and on about the things the other variations can do better but if you know Quan well enough there's no point.

Rude

What do you mean you can armor? When I hit you with trance that's a guaranteed mixup in both Summoner and Sorcerer. I believe b2 ex rune doesn't have a gap(at least not against the ai set to armored reversals). And the b32 low mixup does but again it's still a mixup, they are forced to guess and there's no way out and with Sorcerers armor and Summoner's bat you make b324 a much trickier low mixup with the potential to eat their move with your armor circle or to not have a gap with the use of the bat or to continue pressure with a low bat if they don't mash a armored special during the gap. You don't need Warlock for mixups, the other variations do them infinitely better. From what you've listed there's a mediocre normal move he can use and nothing else. Both Sorcerer and Summoner allow him better setups, more damage, more mixups, a way to make his unsafe mixups safe and create even more mixups with the bat as a mind game. The sword stab mixup warlock grants isn't even good, you need to waste a bar to do that right? Well you can do the same with Sorcerer and Summoner but betterhttps://youtu.be/WFoC3TR5rzIvariations can do better but if you know Quan well enough there's no point.
Try it yourself. Do b2 into mb rune. Do b2 again. They AI will armor everytime.

Do b23 into mb rune. It will armor everytime.

Believe it or not, but i don't arbitrarily make shit up. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes, Summoner has better mix ups, certainly. I never said Warlock was better than Summoner.

I said that Warlock is good and people are sleeping on it. I know a lot about Quan, thank you.

With Sorcerer, if you guess wrong, even with armor, any multi hitting move can punish it.

How is using a bar for taking half life a waste? In escapable half life.

Without meter, Warlock does on par damage as Summoner without meter, and both deal more damage without meter than Sorcerer.

You can also get up off the ground with mb low grab, something Sky Drop is ill equipped to do.

That mb grab? Leads to big damage and can be used for string gaps. Something else Sky Drop simply isn't as good for.

So are we gonna keep measuring our dicks and chucking ad hominems or can we talk like regular human beings?

Rude

If you consider that mb sky Drop only has armor as it goes into the ground, and can be hit as he's coming down, and how that bites when going through gaps, you can see the mb grab value.

Interrupting Takeda pressure is infinitely more rewarding with mb low grab over mb Sky Drop.