What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

Summoner Quan is a character with no wakeup or safe string without meter. Is it really so much to ask that we have strong zoning to trade for that? Besides I don't remember anyone whining about his zoning to even warrant a nerf in the first place. His near unblockable simultaneous low/overhead he can make safe with an ex rune and vortex with is way more OP than his zoning ever was.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I think Summoner's zoning will be fine. You just need to make a few more reads, is all.

Honestly, considering that this character across his variations is all about monentum with some zoning, i think his poor defense is fair.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
If Quan has you down to chip damage and you score a knockdown, how can you avoid the EX tele-stomp?

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Hey guys , I wanna try out summoner. Im good at zoning and combos but how do I deal with upclose pressure as quan ? or when im cornered ?

How exactly/what are the inputs to keep looping/continuing the vortex? I kind of the have the first part down, but how do you string it all together, seeing as the game doesn't let you do two trances in the same combo? Any help would really be appreciated, I can't seem to find a good guide anywhere on this.

xAnnunaki

tethysocean
starter into trance puggles or jade,lol, 3, D3, 12, F3, B32, into low bat then into your B2 or B32 etc. You could mix it up with D3 into grab if they're blocking and on block exrune. I'll usually loop twice then go into trance,puggles, or jade, F2122 , fire ball xx 141 load puggles jade into zoning. Seems effective so far.

starter into trance puggles or jade,lol, 3, D3, 12, F3, B32, into low bat then into your B2 or B32 etc. You could mix it up with D3 into grab if they're blocking and on block exrune. I'll usually loop twice then go into trance,puggles, or jade, F2122 , fire ball xx 141 load puggles jade into zoning. Seems effective so far.
Does the B2 or B32 allow you to trance again? Or does each loop begin with the overhead low with the bat and B2 or neutral jump punch?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I noticed his overhead to rune is interruptible. Is his low starter only safe when he has meter?
I don't think his overhead into rune is interruptible, at least not to subs ex slide.

If you ex his low string there's a gap, you can armor through between b32 and the ex rune. But yeah, unsafe on block. -14 to be exact, sometime Quan's will end it early at b32 and not do the 4(or vice versa) or cancel into a rune ex or not. But yeah, if they don't have bat out and you have an armor move feel free to armor through ex rune or just full punish it if they don't.

Also something important to note, how a Quan uses a bat to make his stuff safe is important. Low bat is very timing specific for example if you want to make his low starter safe. If they don't send it low early on in the string you can get out of it with armor, perhaps even some specials(I haven't tested it enough). So pay attention to how they use bat to make it safe, a mid bat is much easier to make it safe but that removes the mixup and potential b2 into trance to start the vortex again.

I usually always use down bat, but that's because I don't get punished and it catches people jumping and hitting buttons. Eventually the mind game will evolve and people will memorize these things and the game will be really interesting to watch. I look forward to people picking apart the holes in this character.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I don't think his overhead into rune is interruptible, at least not to subs ex slide.

If you ex his low string there's a gap, you can armor through between b32 and the ex rune. But yeah, unsafe on block. -14 to be exact, sometime Quan's will end it early at b32 and not do the 4(or vice versa) or cancel into a rune ex or not. But yeah, if they don't have bat out and you have an armor move feel free to armor through ex rune or just full punish it if they don't.
Ahh you're right. Not sure how I got my old results.

My god Summoner Quan Zoning is USELESS against any character with a teleport

You're better off just using f3 warlock kicks to zone a teleporter now because there is absolutely no way in hell you will frame trap them with a skull

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
My god Summoner Quan Zoning is USELESS against any character with a teleport

You're better off just using f3 warlock kicks to zone a teleporter now because there is absolutely no way in hell you will frame trap them with a skull
I think against people with good teleports it's probably better to play sorcerer for that hit of armor and the threat that you'll full punish their teleports with that armor. I know I've been planning on playing Sorcerer more for the Scorpion matchup.

I usually just vortex characters that have fullscreen punishers(scorp, mileena, kung jin, lao, liu, etc). Or just frame trap them with rune bat, usually always get hit by it and if their tele doesn't have armor they can't wakeup and armor through the next rune. For the people like kj and liu who armor fullscreen high dash kick type moves you can always skull bat to go through armor, kind of a hard read though.

Would love to hear what better Quan's have to say about dealing with teleports and armor fullscreen specials as they're one of my only problems while zoning.

I think against people with good teleports it's probably better to play sorcerer for that hit of armor and the threat that you'll full punish their teleports with that armor. I know I've been planning on playing Sorcerer more for the Scorpion matchup.

I usually just vortex characters that have fullscreen punishers(scorp, mileena, kung jin, lao, liu, etc). Or just frame trap them with rune bat, usually always get hit by it and if their tele doesn't have armor they can't wakeup and armor through the next rune. For the people like kj and liu who armor fullscreen high dash kick type moves you can always skull bat to go through armor, kind of a hard read though.

Would love to hear what better Quan's have to say about dealing with teleports and armor fullscreen specials as they're one of my only problems while zoning.
Summoner Zoning being useless against a teleporter is the epitomy of an understatement

I hate how NRS games make ridiculous radical changes to gameplay barely even a month in

xAnnunaki

tethysocean

Against teleporters fullscreen I try to make them think I'm going to zone to bait out the mb tele by changing up and not reloading puggles/jade to block punish the read. It's tricky but I probably have a 50/50 ratio at guessing when they'll try to armor out. The hardest is reacting on the fly and running forward slightly to make them whiff the tele, I've only done it on accident and against scorpion.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Guys we have been found. Raiden counterpick for quan.

Bout time people realized, Mike could of played much better though. I find his mixups and overall play very sub-optimal. I don't think I'd let Raiden breathe and at all costs you can't get cornered. He's a scary ass character, playing neutral with him is bad because he can just armor through your buttons and send you to the corner where you almost always lose. Gotta make really good reads and get that first hit and never let up. This isn't really exclusive to Raiden, Raiden just does it best. That corner carry, 50/50s, good normals, strings, armor combo starters, anti zoning armor superman, etc.

Aramonde

Noob
Bout time people realized, Mike could of played much better though. I find his mixups and overall play very sub-optimal. I don't think I'd let Raiden breathe and at all costs you can't get cornered. He's a scary ass character, playing neutral with him is bad because he can just armor through your buttons and send you to the corner where you almost always lose. Gotta make really good reads and get that first hit and never let up. This isn't really exclusive to Raiden, Raiden just does it best. That corner carry, 50/50s, good normals, strings, armor combo starters, anti zoning armor superman, etc.
I'm new to TYM so let me know if im doing it right.

*clears throat* .... OH MUHGERD TG RAIDEN NEEDS TO BE NERRRRRRRFED!!!!!!!!!!!

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I'm new to TYM so let me know if im doing it right.

*clears throat* .... OH MUHGERD TG RAIDEN NEEDS TO BE NERRRRRRRFED!!!!!!!!!!!
I never said that. But if this block infinite on a few characters is true maybe he does need a bit of tweaking.

Aramonde

Noob
I never said that. But if this block infinite on a few characters is true maybe he does need a bit of tweaking.
Sorry I wasn't making fun of you i was just making a joke. We need to see it on more characters though, Quan has some of the worst wake up game.

D

Deleted member 9158

So I was a dedicated Quan player in MK9, and now in MKX as well. However, I am having difficulty finding a secondary main in MKX. If anyone here could give me some suggestions or ideas on who to try out, that would be swell. Hell, even just tell me who you main on the side. As much as I love Quan, I want to switch things up.

So I was a dedicated Quan player in MK9, and now in MKX as well. However, I am having difficulty finding a secondary main in MKX. If anyone here could give me some suggestions or ideas on who to try out, that would be swell. Hell, even just tell me who you main on the side. As much as I love Quan, I want to switch things up.
What kind of playstyle are you looking for?