What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
So I've been trying out some different mix ups/block strings since some locals are getting hip to the Quan earth shaker reset out of the vortex(though randomly throwing it out after people have blocked it once still works all the time), and I'd like some opinions/extra hands to test things.

Out of the vortex right after the ~summon bat, d3 Ive started throwing in;

"F212, low bat" it's a blockstring that you can instead stagger to be interuptable before the bat, and make the next mix up a blockstring. This is a good place to wait and bait out armor, or nj to fish for a nj2 against impatient people.

"f212,low bat, b2" for another low overhead mix up. This cancels into trance, but unless you hitconfirm before the actual mix up its a huge risk. Kung Lao can reversal armor out before the b2(needs to be tested against the rest), but again if you stagger the low bat the low bat into b2 becomes a blockstring

"F212, low bat, b4" for a low low into a hkd. It might be better to do d4xxbat summon, if they have meter, just to have a bat in neutral instead of the hkd. Im sure more than Kung Lao can reversal the hkd, and Kung can reversal the d4, but staggering low bat will more these blockstrings(the cancel into summon is still punishable punishable on block, and hit vs some characters).

"F212, low bat,f212xxEXrunes, f212xxexrunes" the meter for the last ex runes is built by doing all of this so you only need one bar to actually do this. I like going for this after getting into the vortex meterlessly with a bar in my pocket. The opponent can poke out after the low bat(I believe they also have a few frames to armor out after ex runes), but you can stagger the bat and make it so they have to change where they poke out on reaction. The end of this puts you in a position for a 50/50 or if your bold you can not ex the last rune and just have that bar built. It's around 12% chip without the last ex runes, 15% with a free 50/50 after if you spend the bar you built. I feel this could be much more solid on some characters than others, but another good quan option regardless

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
So I've been trying out some different mix ups/block strings since some locals are getting hip to the Quan earth shaker reset out of the vortex(though randomly throwing it out after people have blocked it once still works all the time), and I'd like some opinions/extra hands to test things.

Out of the vortex right after the ~summon bat, d3 Ive started throwing in;

"F212, low bat" it's a blockstring that you can instead stagger to be interuptable before the bat, and make the next mix up a blockstring. This is a good place to wait and bait out armor, or nj to fish for a nj2 against impatient people.

"f212,low bat, b2" for another low overhead mix up. This cancels into trance, but unless you hitconfirm before the actual mix up its a huge risk. Kung Lao can reversal armor out before the b2(needs to be tested against the rest), but again if you stagger the low bat the low bat into b2 becomes a blockstring

"F212, low bat, b4" for a low low into a hkd. It might be better to do d4xxbat summon, if they have meter, just to have a bat in neutral instead of the hkd. Im sure more than Kung Lao can reversal the hkd, and Kung can reversal the d4, but staggering low bat will more these blockstrings(the cancel into summon is still punishable punishable on block, and hit vs some characters).

"F212, low bat,f212xxEXrunes, f212xxexrunes" the meter for the last ex runes is built by doing all of this so you only need one bar to actually do this. I like going for this after getting into the vortex meterlessly with a bar in my pocket. The opponent can poke out after the low bat(I believe they also have a few frames to armor out after ex runes), but you can stagger the bat and make it so they have to change where they poke out on reaction. The end of this puts you in a position for a 50/50 or if your bold you can not ex the last rune and just have that bar built. It's around 12% chip without the last ex runes, 15% with a free 50/50 after if you spend the bar you built. I feel this could be much more solid on some characters than others, but another good quan option regardless
Careful. Eventually people will wise up to Quan's frames and start backdashing and armoring his ex rune strings. f212 is one, and especially b32

Yeah all players should know now that if they see B32, immediately armor through. It covers all options on medium speed armor moves.

I'd just like to point out how excited I am that Quan Chi actually looks really good in this game. I played him as a main in MK9, and when I picked up my copy of MKX I was really discouraged that he was going to remain on the low tier end of the spectrum, but alas, I may be wrong this time around. Any other Quan mains out there? Any knowledge which we can share with one another to help one another's Quan's become more prosperous?

@Nonameformedude
Ive been doing f21 low bats b2 trance/ close ground blast (which is inconsistent) cuz f212 has a longer stagger state for quan chi that f21 (at least that what it looks like to me), f21 low bats recovery exactly when the bats it about to hit making the b2 an the bat almost connect at the same time

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Any one else noticed that b1 and/or trance are really good anti airs?
b1 yeah, ive seen more and more Quan's use trance as aa so I'm gonna start trying that as well. I've usually just been air skulling people when I think they'll jump but trance seems like it'll be much better, just harder to do online on reaction.

b1 yeah, ive seen more and more Quan's use trance as aa so I'm gonna start trying that as well. I've usually just been air skulling people when I think they'll jump but trance seems like it'll be much better, just harder to do online on reaction.
I do trance when they just jumped and are at max height the online delay lets the trance catch them right when theyr falling down, but shouldn't be doing it when their to close to ya. Upclose=b1 midscreen = trance

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I do trance when they just jumped and are at max height the online delay lets the trance catch them right when theyr falling down, but shouldn't be doing it when their to close to ya. Upclose=b1 midscreen = trance
Oh yeah, I'm aware, I would never do it up close, strictly a max range use only.

I'm gonna start using Sorcerer for a bit, I like the corner rune trap and the cheesiness of the chip damage midscreen or corner. Just sets up for some goofy stuff.

Did anyone ever find out if the purple spell does anything other than steal meter? You'd think it'd be a damage buff but nope. I'd love projectile durability or maybe improved frame data, like maybe a faster startup version so you could use runes and more skulls more quickly. I think it'd be a nice change to buff sorcerer some and more specifically the worst spell of the bunch.

EDIT: Is there a reason Final Hex(the chip spell) stays out for different amounts of time? Sometimes its like 8 seconds, other times its like 12 or so.. Was practicing the corner rune trap and noticed it disappeared at different times.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever find out if the purple spell does anything other than steal meter? You'd think it'd be a damage buff but nope. I'd love projectile durability or maybe improved frame data, like maybe a faster startup version so you could use runes and more skulls more quickly. I think it'd be a nice change to buff sorcerer some and more specifically the worst spell of the bunch.

EDIT: Is there a reason Final Hex(the chip spell) stays out for different amounts of time? Sometimes its like 8 seconds, other times its like 12 or so.. Was practicing the corner rune trap and noticed it disappeared at different times.
Quan chi having a damage buff would be too much and would make kotal kahn blood god totally obselet. The discription says " Enhances " skull and ground blast + the meter drian ,ive asked this question some time ago and it only drians meter but Under_The_Mayo also said : "EX Skull drains the same amount of meter as regular skull, but another EX Skull reduces meter drain by about 65%, while multiple regular skulls do not".

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
@Nonameformedude
Ive been doing f21 low bats b2 trance/ close ground blast (which is inconsistent) cuz f212 has a longer stagger state for quan chi that f21 (at least that what it looks like to me), f21 low bats recovery exactly when the bats it about to hit making the b2 an the bat almost connect at the same time
Just started trying this out last night and even though I couldn't really get the bat to hit at as close together as the original hard-to-blockable, I really liked being able to more solidly mix up a low+low or low+overhead. Also using a run cancel b2/b3(a la REO)seems to make the timing to armor out more strict, and let's you mix in the grab as an option too

Also using a run cancel b2/b3(a la REO)seems to make the timing to armor out more strict, and let's you mix in the grab as an option too
yeah been seeing REO doing that consistently. Adding the fear of a grab is really a nice option, kinda makes Quan cheese have lobo-like 33/33/33 :REO

Can anyone list the pros and cons of each variation?
Summoner
Pros:
- great mixups with hard to block resets ,
-bat pressure
-Best zoning in the game, only needs meter to be safe ( Mb ground blast)

Cons: Has no good wakeup

Scorcerer
Pros:
-Great against zoners with the armor spell
-50%-100% chip damage in the corner with the chip damage spell

Cons:
-Has no good wakeup
-Meter drain spell is pretty much useless since it has to hit in order to drain meter and the amount it drains is meaningless
-No meterless pressure
-The spells have an GIGANTIC startup so u can't just throw them out and even if u knock ur opponent down to set them certain wakeups ( for exp jax dash punch) will often catch you mid process.

Warlock
Pros:
-very good counterzoning
-very good keep away similar to Summoner, 50/50 reset of the Portal Stab at the end of a combo
-Has a great wakeup (Portal stab) that leads to the afromentioned 50/50 and is safe on block.

Cons:
-The portal grab can be avoided with a forward jump
-no meterless pressure

so what makes quan chi so good that everyone wants him to be nerfed ? is it his bat ? how do you get his vortex started and which strings are used in it ?

so what makes quan chi so good that everyone wants him to be nerfed ? is it his bat ? how do you get his vortex started and which strings are used in it ?
I would tell you to use the search option but... Yes its mostly his OP Bat that can be high, mid, unblockable throw or a low all of them are like + a trillion on block giving him unmatched zoning and tough meterless pressure. Becuz the bat can hit low and works on its own, just like Batmans bats in Injustice, u can do hard to block setups for exp: After you combo someone into a trance , you have enough time to call the bat and continue the combo with a f21 + low bat, the f21 will buffer into the low bat( if the low bat hits it will start a new combo) and the f21 will recover fast enough for you to do a b2(overhead) right while the bat is about to hit and both the b2 and the low bat will hit almost at the same time. You can mix it up with f21 , low bat ,b2 ,trance or f21 , low bat , b324 (low starter) its basically unblockable if done right.. atleast online.
Apart from that Quan has the best zoning in the game hes ground blast beats everything even sub zeros ice ball cuz of the fast startup and it doesnt have to travel over the screen AND MB is +15 on block just like MB skulls also +14 or +15 on block.

I can make a short video to show you how the vortex works but too lazy right now.:DOGE

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
I would tell you to use the search option but... Yes its mostly his OP Bat that can be high, mid, unblockable throw or a low all of them are like + a trillion on block giving him unmatched zoning and tough meterless pressure. Becuz the bat can hit low and works on its own, just like Batmans bats in Injustice, u can do hard to block setups for exp: After you combo someone into a trance , you have enough time to call the bat and continue the combo with a f21 + low bat, the f21 will buffer into the low bat( if the low bat hits it will start a new combo) and the f21 will recover fast enough for you to do a b2(overhead) right while the bat is about to hit and both the b2 and the low bat will hit almost at the same time. You can mix it up with f21 , low bat ,b2 ,trance or f21 , low bat , b324 (low starter) its basically unblockable if done right.. atleast online.
Apart from that Quan has the best zoning in the game hes ground blast beats everything even sub zeros ice ball cuz of the fast startup and it doesnt have to travel over the screen AND MB is +15 on block just like MB skulls also +14 or +15 on block.

I can make a short video to show you how the vortex works but too lazy right now.:DOGE
ive been using d3 instead of f21. ive also seen people use 3. is it just up to choice or is there a better one for sure

ive been using d3 instead of f21. ive also seen people use 3. is it just up to choice or is there a better one for sure
I prefer the f21 due to the choice to either finish the combo with f2122 b1 ground blast ( if I didnt do too many hits before the trance) and then just sit back and zone the opponent with the Manbat and ground blast or to go for the vortex. Also in a laggy match if u call the bat too late and the trance ends before u an continue f212 leavs you 0 on block.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Hey guys. I just started playing Quan chi about a week ago and I fell in love with the character. I found an OTG in the summoner variation and will be making a video for it either at some point in the next few hours or at some point this evening.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Hey guys. I just started playing Quan chi about a week ago and I fell in love with the character. I found an OTG in the summoner variation and will be making a video for it either at some point in the next few hours or at some point this evening.
NRS please! The OTGs ruined injustice for me

macro

Eezeepeezee
I'm really starting to think that sorcerer is as good as sommoner the more set-ups I find.