What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Yea i was specifically looking for aa punishes(mileena roll). thanks. how would I punish telekick sai or ex telekick sai

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
My condolences.
I mean if you want me to give you more detailed reasons as to why a counterpick is better, I'll give it to you.
Up to you, if you aren't busy and don't mind doing this for me, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: gdf

gdf

Noob
Up to you, if you aren't busy and don't mind doing this for me, I'd appreciate it.
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/cyrax-match-up-chart-guide-by-krayzie.23689/
Krayzie Bone's guide to certain matchups. He enjoys this matchup very much.

Now my thoughts:
The thing is that Kung Lao is a monster with just trucking through anything most people have, and while he builds meter quickly, he is also giving his opponent meter pretty quickly. Cyrax is one of the guys in the game that you hate to see have meter(as opposed to other characters that just rustle your jimmies with meter), and unless you spend meter yourself, your meterless combos are only going to net you roughly 33% midscreen. Not enough to break, IMO.

So Cyrax is so confident that you will not get a 33% combo off 3 times in a row. Even if you start the match off strong, getting first hit and everything (hard to do with Cyrax's ragdoll) you will probably hurt him only 33% but given him the two bars of meter. Now he has roughly 70% of his health remaining with two bars, and he didn't even lift a finger to do it.

You have to play safe a lot against Cyrax, which for Kung Lao is a bad thing, his reckless attitude makes him unpredictable at times (see MK legend). Do stupid spins, teleports, and divekicks are only like 12% punishes vs most of the rest of the cast, for Cyrax it means he has just taken over half your life bar. And by turtling, this just lets Cyrax bring out his minefield, which for Kung Lao is relatively easy to dodge, however Cyrax is waiting to counterplay your dodging.

I'll see if I can't dig up the Maxter vs Perfect Legend video. I don't remember too much about the fight, but I remember PL going to Kabal. And I guess I'll leave it at that. http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/96867-wr5-emp-perfectlegend-vs-vsm-maxter-game-1

How do you guys deal with the Sonya and Cyrax MU?

against sonya you have full control over the air with jumpkick dive kicks. her hitbox is not as small as jax, kitana, cage etc which is also great. she cannot uppercut you on crossup for free like she does against a lot of the cast because you can do a crossup teleport for 43% meterless. as for her pressure, you have a low hitbox as lao and you have standing 2 and spin which interrupts a lot of her stuff. while you pressure her upclose you will need to be aware of her ex cartwheel, you as the lao player divekicking all over the place mixed up with 21/1121/24 pressure will make her waste her meter for ex cartwheel or get punished for whiffing stuff. ex teleport whiff grab has enough armor to withstand an ex cartwheel.

also against the d4 like sonya and mileena I like to get close enough for your d3 to connect which is still a 9 frame move vs 12 frame move. making them atleast have to make use of their d1 or d3 now and then which means they need to be more ''creative'' and less d4's. and if the opponent is just really reckless with that d4 just spin them and make them respect you so you can establish your pressure as well. dont get too hard in on sonya. play the matchup really lame and hats from almost fullscreen to fullscreen range are pretty good too in this matchup because she has to be careful of trhowing projectiles because you can get in with a whiffed dive kick whenever you want and her best case scenario is to get her projectile before on you before you do which wont happen if youre smart enough because lao is the one who decides when projectiles are thrown imo.

also grabs are always a good option in the matches that are trickier at first.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
At the highest level I don't know how to fight Sonya or Cyrax.

But, against Cyrax I abuse his hitbox with 21 pressure and wait for counterpokes 24. Instant air dive kick all of his nets on reaction (tough to do online). Don't tele unless it's after a faked jip from close range for a mini mix-up, Dive kick in for pressure and then get back out.

I have no fucking clue how to fight Sonya....

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Looking for max damage meterless punishes
21 spin, Jump kick Divekick, instant air Dive kick, 2 4 1+3. 35% damage

or 21 spin, jump kick divekick, 1, instant air divekick, 2 4 1+3. 36%

Corner: 21 spin, jump kick dive kick, jump kick teleport 3, 1121, 2 4 1+3 40%
or 21 spin, jump kick stagger divekick, jump kick stagger divekick, 1121, 24 1+3 40%

coolwhip

Noob
Yea i was specifically looking for aa punishes(mileena roll). thanks. how would I punish telekick sai or ex telekick sai
Telekick, if you want a meterless punish, you punish it with spin. Spin, NJP, Jk/dk, f3, spin (or Spin, NJP, a few jabs and finish with 24 grab). For EX telekick, you have to block the second hit on crouch block (you can crouch even if you block the first hit standing) otherwise she'll jail you, cancel into sai, and get frame advantage. After you block the second hit on crouch, the proper punish is to do standing 2 into ex hat (2, ex hat, jk/dk, f3, spin, 24 grab for 42%). However, if you want meterless damage you have to settle for a D1 punish (D1, 1, 24 grab).

is it just me or is the timing on kung laos bnb different if you start it from back 33 spin? it seems like the opponent drops faster

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
is it just me or is the timing on kung laos bnb different if you start it from back 33 spin? it seems like the opponent drops faster
It is. B3, (3 / Spin) the opponent is in the air after the B3, 3. That's why after B33 Spin, neutral jump punch splats.

It is. B3, (3 / Spin) the opponent is in the air after the B3, 3. That's why after B33 Spin, neutral jump punch splats.
no. i mean back 33 spin, jk dk, dk, 24 grab. i can do that combo but its harder for me to do for some reason than lets say if i start it from 21. its prolly because of what you said. back 33 hits them in the air.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
no. i mean back 33 spin, jk dk, dk, 24 grab. i can do that combo but its harder for me to do for some reason than lets say if i start it from 21. its prolly because of what you said. back 33 hits them in the air.
After B3, 3, the opponent is considered airborne even before the spin, therefore, more gravity scaling(opponent falls quicker than 21 Spin).

you just have to do the dive kick a little lower, if you can add a standing 1 after the normal divekick combo you should be fine with b33 double divekick combo.