What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

sLeeK

Noob
QUOTE=PimpUig - I think most characters in this game are easy to learn.
Especially Kabal and Reptile

I had to sign in for this one. Reptile easy to learn? I'm guessing you haven't tried to master his 321 elbowdash njp bnb ?

Kombo

Noob
I think most characters in this game are easy to learn.
Especially Kabal and Reptile...and they're some of the harder characters to learn aren't they??

Then again I keep putting off what I perceive as harder characters to learn.
Sonya, Jax, and maybe Raiden.
Easy to learn my ass! You know how long it took me to do IAF and 321 Elbow Dash NJP consistently!? And thats not even a quarter of everything you need to know with these characters.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile isn't difficult because of his elbow whiff combos. It takes some time to get used to approaching safely, as well as knowing when to do what.

I trained for a while and learned a bunch of combos but I have a hard time getting in close to use them, anyone know a good way to get in without getting faceplanted? I played one match as him and though "well, lets see how this goes".

Me-><-Other Guy

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I just would like to chime in and say watergun is absolutely brutal as a combo ender. That is all.

So is there any chance that a string cancelled into roundhouse cancelled into dash can be used as a ghetto pressure tool (i.e. Kabal)?

I haven't played Rain yet so this is all just speculation from me

After testing rain it seems he has a high learning curve and it will be hard to say how he will play at high level. I see alot of posts about how he has trouble with certain characters, but how much time have we had to master the current characters available compared to the several hours of rain gameplay. I feel after a couple of weeks when we master rain and his execution and matchups will we be able to give a proper analysis. As for now I feel he has good potential to be a top tier character.

LiuKim

Noob
Top tier... ooo that's a tuff one. I think he lacks mix ups in his game play and I have a strange feeling the H20 boost will make people just spam torpedos, flying dragon kicks, or other crazy special moves :p

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
This is a char that i really not gonna main him at all. Though i must say he has a lot of potential to become a good teir. If you guys are not aware of the RH cancels in combos, or Ground hit Chain of RH EX cancel, or the Guaranteed setup of ex h2o Boost and anti wake up game with H2o Boost (guaranteed traps!)...take a look at this. consider this like my contribution to the char, hopefully i wont make any vids for him again

the h2o Boost traps:
- Done after Lighting. It gives u enough time to pull the boost before opponent even reach the ground. due to EX RH being armor invincible (for multiple hits as well), u can safely counter opponent wake up attacks. Rain's EX RH is as strong as Kenshi EX RK. In fact it's better because rain is able to use h2o boost for SEVERELY massive damage of atleast 50% afterwards

-The idea of the trap is that u can counter opponent if he tried to do any wake up attack. literally EX RH can counter bouta 85% of every wake up game. If opponent played dead, rain will have the upper hand to control footsies and pressure. Someone like kenshi falling in this trap is VERY serious threat ...thus such trap can cause Char to play it safe

-This trap excel in the corner as well

RH cancels strings:
-RH cancel can be used for block strings. Regular can be punishable by a lot of moves, however it can stuff any target combos or regular hits. also a side note, RH is great for building meter. the reason is, the RH cancel built meter itself

-EX RH is perfect for Ground Chain attacks,thus making the damage scale bigger and bigger. For example, 4,3~ EX RH> Dash cancel > 4,3~ EX RH > Dash Cancel > 4,3~ bubble projectile / 4,3~rh / 4,3~ lighting , 4,3~ spray. Total damage of 64%
without boost(regular or non) or jump in.

-EX RH have amazing potential For pressure and chip damage. as well as it's considered block infinite as long as u have Meter. reps can go up to 4 not more! (3 ex rh and the 4th is a regular RH dash cancel)

-beside chaining it into string, Spray can be useful as well in such situation. if opponent blocked it, then rain is safe. if opponent did not, then he got hit by it. also the frame starter/animation pushes rain away for safety

-Plenty of idea's to use after Regular pressure guard RH cancel. you can re input strings, Specials, or even X ray. very useful and helpful for guard pressuring.

-great for flashy combo potential in middle of juggles. Though suggested to be used before launching opponent.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Damn, Teef's stuff made me wanna test more things.

Interestingly enough, you can take advantage of the weird properties of armor in MK9 with EXRH. In MK9, when armor is activated, for a small window (in the ballpark of 10-15 frames), you absorb any attack thrown during. In Rain's case, in the few startup frames before you can cancel, Rain has armor frames, and if the armor is activated shortly before you dash, you keep absorbing even during. What this allows you to do is counter multi-hit wakeup attacks like Kenshi's EX charge with a EXRH cancel to combo of choice, like back into a lightning for more wakeup. Pretty much, you can do Jade-esque shit.

My hopes are getting a little higher with Rain. He still will be very difficult to use.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Damn, Teef's stuff made me wanna test more things.

Interestingly enough, you can take advantage of the weird properties of armor in MK9 with EXRH. In MK9, when armor is activated, for a small window (in the ballpark of 10-15 frames), you absorb any attack thrown during. In Rain's case, in the few startup frames before you can cancel, Rain has armor frames, and if the armor is activated shortly before you dash, you keep absorbing even during. What this allows you to do is counter multi-hit wakeup attacks like Kenshi's EX charge with a EXRH cancel to combo of choice, like back into a lightning for more wakeup. Pretty much, you can do Jade-esque shit.

My hopes are getting a little higher with Rain. He still will be very difficult to use.
I have just been discovering this. I've been using the roundhouse cancel a lot and noticed on the wake up EX version I was just going right thru attacks. Rain still has alot to be discovered.

Kwon

---->----
the h2o Boost traps:
- Done after Lighting. It gives u enough time to pull the boost before opponent even reach the ground. due to EX RH being armor invincible (for multiple hits as well), u can safely counter opponent wake up attacks. Rain's EX RH is as strong as Kenshi EX RK. In fact it's better because rain is able to use h2o boost for SEVERELY massive damage of atleast 50% afterwards

-The idea of the trap is that u can counter opponent if he tried to do any wake up attack. literally EX RH can counter bouta 85% of every wake up game. If opponent played dead, rain will have the upper hand to control footsies and pressure. Someone like kenshi falling in this trap is VERY serious threat ...thus such trap can cause Char to play it safe

RH cancels strings:
-RH cancel can be used for block strings. Regular can be punishable by a lot of moves, however it can stuff any target combos or regular hits. also a side note, RH is great for building meter. the reason is, the RH cancel built meter itself

-EX RH is perfect for Ground Chain attacks,thus making the damage scale bigger and bigger. For example, 4,3~ EX RH> Dash cancel > 4,3~ EX RH > Dash Cancel > 4,3~ bubble projectile / 4,3~rh / 4,3~ lighting , 4,3~ spray. Total damage of 64%

-EX RH have amazing potential For pressure and chip damage. as well as it's considered block infinite as long as u have Meter. reps can go up to 4 not more! (3 ex rh and the 4th is a regular RH dash cancel)

-beside chaining it into string, Spray can be useful as well in such situation. if opponent blocked it, then rain is safe. if opponent did not, then he got hit by it. also the frame starter/animation pushes rain away for safety

-Plenty of idea's to use after Regular pressure guard RH cancel. you can re input strings, Specials, or even X ray. very useful and helpful for guard pressuring.

-great for flashy combo potential in middle of juggles. Though suggested to be used before launching opponent.
His Super Roundhouse really IS SUUPER! Thanks alot for this discovery teef!

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
This is a char that i really not gonna main him at all. Though i must say he has a lot of potential to become a good teir. If you guys are not aware of the RH cancels in combos, or Ground hit Chain of RH EX cancel, or the Guaranteed setup of ex h2o Boost and anti wake up game with H2o Boost (guaranteed traps!)...take a look at this. consider this like my contribution to the char, hopefully i wont make any vids for him again

the h2o Boost traps:

RH cancels strings:

Awsome info there man. I would also like to add that the EX roundhouse is also good for counter zoning. I was just fighting a sub-zero player and he was tring to zone me with ice blast and I thought hey, my EX roundhouse has super armor and I can cancle out of it. So I waited until he started to zone me again and I activeted my EX roundhouse super armor, absorbed his ice ball, cancled my Ex roundhouse, hit him with my lightning and comboed into 4,3,roundhouse kick-4,3,water orb-4,geyser kick. I believe it was like 9 hits 32% or something close to that. Point being I won the match with it and the next time I fought him he thought twice about just zoning with ice blast. Rains potential looks like it is really climbing.