What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
I feel Rain is good almost anywhere on the screen because of his lightning to bubble combo, might be harder to get on the better zoners but u just use that sweet ass teleport and teach them a lesson

EDIT: Plus Red Hot Chili Peppers new single came out: The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie, lol so perfect timing

Kwon

---->----
This week, Rain will be played more than Strykers total playtime so far. ;)

NRS really did a good job with Rain.

I wonder if there are any effective combos off of bubble that can end in stream to reset the opponent, that way you can get max damage off of bubble combos rather than just ending in a bubble reset...

Also, Ran Dance Maggie sucks imo. I'll just jam out to some Prince until Rain comes to PSN.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Played with Rain a bit with Book. Roundhouse is hilariously good as a mixup in itself. If you cancel into it, you can dash cancel and either continue pressure or throw, or you can let it go. If they try to escape at the wrong time, they get smacked.

Towards the later matches, I started to use bubble for positioning over the damage potential. I would use it to put the opponent towards the corner, and not combo after to keep them standing with advantage. It worked a bit.
So you can cancel a string into roundhouse and then cancel the roundhouse into a grab? That's insane haha.

Albo

Noob
just found out you can cancel the round house kick into ANY special! :O wow. you have to hold 4while inputting the directions and buttons for the other special move. it seems like nr have taken the best of each character and created rain.

Grub

Noob
Rain is something of a beast! Out of all the DLC characters so far, he's the one I can't wait to see used in tourneys. I think he'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
The Geiser Kick thing is incredibly good at stopping cross ups and probably his best anti-pressure wake up move.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
I wrote a lot of what THTB said somewhere else not realizing there was another thread for strats here.....silly me. I basically agree with everything he said and intend to work extensively on setups for the enhanced version of H20 boost as 7 seconds of enhanced damage is just begging to be abused.

Can someone please list Rain's strings that look safe, and also which specials are definitely punishable and which are harder to punish? Unfortunately I'm in Vegas and don't have access to my 360 until Friday night.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
I'm already starting to see some of Rain's weakness once you start fighting other rush down characters. Get ready to watch people jump clear over lightning. That is not a move to through out brain dead. Reptile will eat you alive if you do. I think enhanced roundhouse's armor is probably one of his best assets. It's a really good get the fuck off me move that can reverse the flow of a match very quickly since its a combo if it lands obviously. It will make aggressive players think twice when you have a stock of meter.

Imagine if you could use Roundhouse for a wake up....that would be retarded. Seems only lightning and water stream act as wakeup attacks.....not too hot. Stream is ok in some select few cases but lightning is total garbage for wakeup. Better off just blocking and punishing. EDIT: I take that back forgot about Geyser. Not bad.

Another funny thing of note is if you trade with water stream they continue to be pushed back as if it weren't interrupted lol

Rain is a beast. I wish they made every character as powerful and as fun to play as Rain. But sadly you have characters like Quan Chi who can't even use his boost move its so slow and has no wakeup game at all.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Just got finished playing with REO. I have some pretty bad news for you guys.

It's not looking too great. There isn't much else Rain has other than roundhouse cancel pressure and his ability to position well. His wakeup game is pretty eh without meter...with meter it is really solid, though, since about all of his options are safe on block. He can keep you in check with his lightning and bubble, but if a character has any aerial special, he struggles pretty hard. And I retract what I said about EX boost...the blocking disabled aspect, combined with getting touched period stops it just ruins everything about it. If those two things didn't exist, it'd be fine.

There's gonna be a lot of characters that give him problems.

THTB

I know, but a lot of his shortcomings just add up to make him a really mediocre character. I'd be surprised if he does have more than a couple 6-4s in his favor.

He's very fun, though, and is still basically my secondary.

Grub

Noob

It's not looking too great. There isn't much else Rain has other than roundhouse cancel pressure and his ability to position well. His wakeup game is pretty eh without meter...with meter it is really solid, though, since about all of his options are safe on block. He can keep you in check with his lightning and bubble, but if a character has any aerial special, he struggles pretty hard. And I retract what I said about EX boost...the blocking disabled aspect, combined with getting touched period stops it just ruins everything about it. If those two things didn't exist, it'd be fine.

Isn't it a bit unfair to lay down an ultimatum on Rain on Day 1, though? He's going up against characters whose strengths are basically muscle memory, and we're still trying to figure him out.

THTB

It's early for sure, but on a first glance, it's not impressive at all.

Kwon

---->----

What characters do you feel pose the most problems for the Purple Prince?

Kombo

Noob
Idc if he is mediocre. He is a character I actually enjoy playing and fulfilling to win with besides Sub Zero. He will be my Third from here on out..

Xess

Noob
I can see Rain having some weaknesses, but after breaking 30% in half an hour of training I'm pleased with him. He'll make a good second to Kenshi!=D

It's early for sure, but on a first glance, it's not impressive at all.
I've been playing with him all day and I'm not liking him much. I'm struggling to get some offense going. The water orb thing if jumped and evaded, well, you're screwed, he stays in the animation too long. The cool thing I like about it is that if it's blocked, it pushes the opponent slightly back, giving you some space. His lightning, well, I've been punished alot trying to get some lightning going. It's been hit or miss for me, sometimes it catches the opponent in the air other times it doesn't. I don't think it's a reliable AA at all. I tried utilizing the 1,2,F+3 as my main starter srting but it keeps backfiring. I'm not sure if it's safe on block or not, maybe my execution is slow :-?

For me his B+2,1+2 string seemed much safer on block. i mixed it up with his B+2,3 and it seemed like a much more reliable mixup. I caught a few people with the overhead expecting the low 3. Sadly though, there isn't much you can do after the low 3 hits :-( His teleport seems ok, I caught a few people off guard with it but at times I was uppercutted on reaction. The teleport that did land most of the time was the enhanced one. But you can't do anything after that :-( His enhanced Geyser kick seems liek a solid wakeup get the hell off me attack. Meh, I don't know, It's still too early to tell, but I certainly am not liking him. This is my opinion and experiences with him so far, NOT FACT. I respect everyones opinion about this char and expect the same.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
The thing is guys his moves aren't spamable and he isnt a zoner, his really tricks are with his Super round house so stop complaining about the lightning not hitting a moving opponent, it's not suppose to

I've been playing with him all day and I'm not liking him much. I'm struggling to get some offense going. The water orb thing if jumped and evaded, well, you're screwed, he stays in the animation too long. The cool thing I like about it is that if it's blocked, it pushes the opponent slightly back, giving you some space. His lightning, well, I've been punished alot trying to get some lightning going. It's been hit or miss for me, sometimes it catches the opponent in the air other times it doesn't. I don't think it's a reliable AA at all. I tried utilizing the 1,2,F+3 as my main starter srting but it keeps backfiring. I'm not sure if it's safe on block or not, maybe my execution is slow :-?

For me his B+2,1+2 string seemed much safer on block. i mixed it up with his B+2,3 and it seemed like a much more reliable mixup. I caught a few people with the overhead expecting the low 3. Sadly though, there isn't much you can do after the low 3 hits :-( His teleport seems ok, I caught a few people off guard with it but at times I was uppercutted on reaction. The teleport that did land most of the time was the enhanced one. But you can't do anything after that :-( His enhanced Geyser kick seems liek a solid wakeup get the hell off me attack. Meh, I don't know, It's still too early to tell, but I certainly am not liking him. This is my opinion and experiences with him so far, NOT FACT. I respect everyones opinion about this char and expect the same.
Try using the lightning after the <--2, 1+2. It's the most reliable way to get it.