What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

EXRHC combos are not difficult at all. I've spent maybe 5-10 minutes. The timing is just about down.

MK9 combos = easy as hell lmao.
In general, perhaps. But linking 43~exRHcancel~43 into a combo on a grounded opponent isn't easy and certainly isn't a viable BnB.

Subby

Frost Warrior
B3. Is this a good poke move? Was used by CD.JR here and there at Summer Jam 5.

Fun fact: Looks like one of Ryus special moves in Street fighter 3. :p

B3. Is this a good poke move? Was used by CD.JR here and there at Summer Jam 5.

Fun fact: Looks like one of Ryus special moves in Street fighter 3. :p
It's good anti-air, but it knocks away. I use it in matchups like Cage where I want them away from me.

On the ground, it can be unexpected especially if you've been using B2 a lot. I use it occasionally to keep them on their toes if they try a ground approach, as well as raw water bubble.

Do any of Rains strings give him advantage on block? Or is the only way to get advantage is a bubble reset? Anything else to give him advantage?

Frog

Noob
Hey, started up Rain about 3 days ago. Not exactly in a position (except online which never helps with finding things out) to figure out if certain techniques I have found work. Basically I think I found a frame trap just doing 43 lightning over and over. When playing against expert ai the bot just keeps blocking, and I can do the string over and over building meter. Just wondering if this is an actual frame trap, or have people broken out of this? If they have can you give me examples?

Hey, started up Rain about 3 days ago. Not exactly in a position (except online which never helps with finding things out) to figure out if certain techniques I have found work. Basically I think I found a frame trap just doing 43 lightning over and over. When playing against expert ai the bot just keeps blocking, and I can do the string over and over building meter. Just wondering if this is an actual frame trap, or have people broken out of this? If they have can you give me examples?
You can get out of it lol.. Although I suggest After big combos to end it with a lightning, and then lightning them again, it sometimes acts like a reset.
43 lightning 43 lightning is not safe. ALthough, 43 EH lightning 43 lightning is safe, on SLOW characters, such as Noob, Sheeva, etc.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Yup. Definitely not a trap. I find myself being punished a lot If I end a blocked string with lightning.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, 4,3, Lightning is not safe at all. Even 4,3, roundhouse isn't totally safe. It can be poked out of basically but if they do anything else they get roundhoused. Well, I also think they can crossover jump too. I need to try working on my 4,3,RH pressure though, doing one after another.

Marcus

Good stuff on the Rain resets by CD Jr. yesterday. His Rain pressure is godlike as well.

Subby

Frost Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/videos

Got it off the stream then uploaded to youtube then downloaded to my PC. Deleted them on my youtube page though, I might get reported lol. I can send it to you if you want.

Or if people from the stream approve, I can up it on my youtube page.
Don't worry its fine. I'll find it. Its just that its very hard to get good at this game when I only play on weekends. I usually scour any videos I can learn from to keep my mind fresh on the game in my spare time.

Marcus

Anyone else happy with this patch note?

- the negative edge window has been shortened by 3 frames

I smiled

Marcus

CD Jr. told me that D3 is faster after the patch.

Faster d3 and negative edge fix. They buffed Rain!

What are all of the strings Rain can geyser kick under mid string? I had someone geyser kick through my Shang Tsungs F434 string, and he just blew it up.

What are all of the strings Rain can geyser kick under mid string? I had someone geyser kick through my Shang Tsungs F434 string, and he just blew it up.
I don't know. Really hard to test cause of crappy training mode. Also about f434 is that if you're not close enough the 3 will wiff. Thats probably how he got you.

Also to add something. This character's wake-up moves fucking suck lol. All punishable on block outside of squirt gun.

Husteen

Noob.
Input bug makes this character a pain to use. Can't even fucking uppercut without randomly getting a standing 2 resulting in a dropped combo.
do you ever try to do rain's uppercut and he just ducks?
i'll attempt water bubble, uppercut and he just ducks i hate it =[

the reason i never do water bubble *move opponent up and across screen* xray is because he'll just block =/

BookBurning

Voidwards
Hasn't ever happened to me personally, but like Zeppeli said, the standing 2 can occasionally come out and be quite annoying; I haven't had a problem with it recently though as I tend to hold down for a small bit longer and it seems to take care of the input bug.

Also most of the time I feel personally that you shouldn't have meter for X Ray if you're playing a good opponent, Rain's EX moves are incredibly superior by an entire ocean compared to his X-Ray.

Husteen

Noob.
Hasn't ever happened to me personally, but like Zeppeli said, the standing 2 can occasionally come out and be quite annoying; I haven't had a problem with it recently though as I tend to hold down for a small bit longer and it seems to take care of the input bug.

Also most of the time I feel personally that you shouldn't have meter for X Ray if you're playing a good opponent, Rain's EX moves are incredibly superior by an entire ocean compared to his X-Ray.
i like how rain's xray can make the opponent eat about 38% for throwing a projectile. it's basically a full screen punish!
what's the most % you guys can get off of a naked xray? i would just do xray, 4, 3, water blast.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Yeah 2 dash 2 dash 43 lightning, actually though now that we're on the subject, do 2 2 43 aquasplash; it does more damage and leaves them standing.