What's new

"Prepare to be Astounded!" - Zatanna General Discussion Thread

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Yeah it's been mentioned before.

As for more glitches, I've had matches where I wasn't able to use the fountains on Atlantis at all. Like, it didn't appear the whole match even while I was standing right next to it. It was very frustrating.
you mean the side pipes? Bc this has happened to me multiple times against some grapplers and I NEED DAT WATER TO GET THEM OFF OF ME! and it never prompts me to hit RB EVER

Aya

Noob
Yea I think naked puppet master is probably the most likely way u will start her vortex, but tbh I don't think her trait is all that great. Whenever very hard Z would do it to my supes I would just get full screen and start air lazering. She's going to get hit if she doesn't block and shes going to lose the hat either way. All of the projectiles in hat are dodge able so the opponent doesn't have to take the redonk chip ever (unless theres a setup where u end a combo in hat then do a low proj so they have to stand up and don't have time to jump). The hat _seems_ most effective at mid range so that she can anti air jump ins, but any 1 good projectile read from your opponent at this range is a free combo. I think i will mainly be trying keep away until I land a puppet master tho.

Aya

Noob
Now that I think about it I guess she could just teleport the air lazers but thats only if she patiently waits for them (while hat runs out). So to avoid this supes would probably just resort to dodging (or maybe trying to go in with a chance of getting AA'd). Either way Z gets to build some meter so thats good!

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Lets face it guys, she isn't very good. It doesn't take a genius to realize her lack of range on her normals make it very difficult to compete with the cast.

Lets face it guys, she isn't very good. It doesn't take a genius to realize her lack of range on her normals make it very difficult to compete with the cast.

I think she's solid. She may have slow normals, but she can zone with the best of them and good use of her teleport and trait work wonders.

I think it is also important to realize that her puppet master(is that the move that mixes up the opponents controls?) move currently doesn't work online. This move could be really powerful giving zatanna a standing reset and a free jump in after combos.

So to the people saying she isn't very good I say we should at least hold out until most of the people who play this game (online players) can actually use this special.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
you mean the side pipes? Bc this has happened to me multiple times against some grapplers and I NEED DAT WATER TO GET THEM OFF OF ME! and it never prompts me to hit RB EVER
Yeah that's what I mean. It was so frustrating. I started mashing interact and thinking WHY WON'T YOU BLOODLY WELL WORK!

Agh.

justjohn

Noob
I was wondering what you guys have been using as an anti-air? So far I found that bf 2 is not too shabby for jump ins, but cross ups are a whole another story

badb

Noob
Cards is real slow startup for any AA, standing 1 works ok for close jumps and D2 works very poorly but if spaced well. Block is probably the safest, if she loses trying to AA will lose a ton of life but if she just blocks people can jump in all day.

Oh - a lot of characters jump to aa, but her jumping attacks are so poor she will lose.

Thead

Noob
Not gonna delve into all the stuff I've been working on so far until its perfected, but I am gonna say this:

Levitate ~ MB Teleport/MB Teleport Behind, 2 (while in air) is gonna be HUGE in Zatannas game.

Instant Overhead into combo from anywhere on screen, in which the opponent has to guess which way to block.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I was wondering what you guys have been using as an anti-air? So far I found that bf 2 is not too shabby for jump ins, but cross ups are a whole another story
Teleport back and ring toss is what I've been doing against jump ins.

Alternatively, dash, 3 seems to work well too. I really wish she had a decent anti-air, or at least a decent jump so she could do something...

badb

Noob
Not gonna delve into all the stuff I've been working on so far until its perfected, but I am gonna say this:

Levitate ~ MB Teleport/MB Teleport Behind, 2 (while in air) is gonna be HUGE in Zatannas game.

Instant Overhead into combo from anywhere on screen, in which the opponent has to guess which way to block.
It recovers fast and can feint it a lot in certain match ups. You can jump into air stance then teleport into air stance neutral or back and back into air stance many times to build meter and run away, then go in with MB teleport. MB teleport is the only thing I found going for her yet sometimes it doesn't track very well.

I'm sure there are ways to kill both options of MB teleport though because the start up is slow, thinking a dash, a jump, or character specific moves/normals, but haven't tested it to much.

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
Can someone confirm something for me. I was playing a nightwing online and it appeared as i did mb bf3 he supered out of it as he was walking towards me! Idk what happened maybe i didnt have meter?

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
Hey guys, sorry if this is known already.
With trait activated, Cigam Ralip, or DF3 can hit on the ground, and is plus 9 on block. I have supes set to wake up Super, reversal super, auto block, and tech roll. Hopefully someone else will tinker with this and see what the community can come up with!

kevkopdx

Noob
Can someone confirm something for me. I was playing a nightwing online and it appeared as i did mb bf3 he supered out of it as he was walking towards me! Idk what happened maybe i didnt have meter?
havent had that but i did do a bf3 mb as solomon grundy did an armored move and he walked out of it and grabbed me because i still completed the animation ... she was saying "believe in magic yet?" as she was getting owned lol

also: when she loses to superman and is on her knees, if her outfit is torn, you can see right through her, she has no midriff

I mentally have reduced the amount of cool-down frames Smoke and Mirror's has.

Since I play at a level that is only above average, not enough to be competitive, I'm assuming 10 less recovery frames on smoke and mirrors to account for my equally skilled opponents needing that time to process what in the name of fuck is going on :p

Aya

Noob

honestly that sounds like a horrible thing to have to do to play a character. Meter burn into a meter burn vortex? That spending that much meter just to maybe get a hit sounds like insta bottom tier >.>

So I think I have a really good multi-purpose setup I've been using. Starts out the same for each character, does good damage, and is meterless. Only the end of the setup changes, depending on the specific character you're facing.

(it should always start off a jump in attack, because although it's safe on block, the startup is so dam slow and will get beat by most normals)

Here's the general setup combo:
ji2,b1u3,ji2,b1u3 : 24 %
(setup optons):
Trait-zoning
MB fireball
Smoke and Mirror's to Levitate

(pretty good damage, and it's meterless. You don't sacrifice much damage for leaving it open to subsequent setups, since Zatanna's max midscreen meterless is around 28 %.)

Ending on b1u3 seems to be the best, it gives you the most time to make sure it isn't stuffed by any wakeup or tech rolls.

You can follow it up with a smoke and mirrors, and then levitate afterwards and you'll be safe from wake ups. Or you can follow it up with a MB fireball, or even trait (if DS techs a wakeup into quick guns, it will trade in your favor). If you go into smoke and mirror's, you'll have enough time to levitate and tele backwards from just about anything unscathed.

Following it up with MB fireball seems to be a nightmare for rushdown characters, and characters that don't have instant projectiles to hit you with. Since the setup combo is meterless, that usually means you'll have the meter for MB fireball, especially given the startup of the combo gains decent meter with the damage. Other ways to spend meter would be to punish just about anything the opponent does with a MB tele if you decided to do smoke-in mirrors to levitate. If they try throwing projectiles, you will levitate over just about all and can MB tele behind for a full combo punish. If they try and rush you down, smoke and mirrors will easily allow you to out-footsie them.

Any thoughts on this anyone? Anything better than this that is also meterless?

I think she's solid. She may have slow normals, but she can zone with the best of them and good use of her teleport and trait work wonders.
I agree but her ring toss and fire kiss have horrible startup. It seems like the best way to start zoning is to have a mb fire kiss on the ground and trait up.