What's new

Pre-Game Tier List Discussion!

Graveyard

Superb
Changed my mind. Replacing Nightwolf with Sub-Zero. I thought his ice reversal had a set follow-up (where he slashes them with that ice-sword), but I just saw a version (probably the EX version) where it just froze the opp and he combo'd off of it.
:confused: Where? link?

DrDogg

Noob
You guys seem to be taking this thread a little too serious... lol

At this point I think every single character that has been shown properly (as in, not PAX footage) is looking broken. Without frame data, or at least testing to see what's safe and how punishable things are, there's no way of saying anything further.

That counter worries me. I wonder what the active window is on that. Looks almost 20 frames from that awkward showing of it. I really hope it's just how the video was edited and the counter window is not upwards of 20 frames.

You guys seem to be taking this thread a little too serious... lol

At this point I think every single character that has been shown properly (as in, not PAX footage) is looking broken. Without frame data, or at least testing to see what's safe and how punishable things are, there's no way of saying anything further.
Killjoy.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Oh continue having your fun, I'm just making an observation... lol
Nah its cool man. And we arent really taking it serious. Obviously we dont really have the info nessecary to even make a remotely competent guess at what the tiers will look like. But it is fun to bullsit about it and make guesses. Il tell you what will be funnier though, looking back at this thread a year from now and seeing how wrong (or right lol) we were about it.

That counter worries me. I wonder what the active window is on that. Looks almost 20 frames from that awkward showing of it. I really hope it's just how the video was edited and the counter window is not upwards of 20 frames.
Are you kidding? It looks nowhere near 20 frames in that video. The first time I saw it, I didn't even realise the Sub had used a reversal, I thought Cyrax had randomly frozen himself. I'm sure the reversal will be pretty long, though (as long as his normal version, at least), but it will use up one bar of meter, so it won't be abusable.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
i think parts of that video it are probably not possible. like when sub does a sweep into ice slide.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If Nightwolf is anything like in UMK3, plus the dash I think he will be pretty solid. DAT RUSHDOWN!
lol please NOO!!! I'm curious to see how Smoke plays out, you know they'll give him stinky cloud moves, but I still wonder if he'll get his spear since Scorp already has it. They said nobody will have the same moves this time so I'm wondering, maybe they give smoke a rope or perhaps a grappling hook instead of Scorp's spear? I think that would be pretty neat.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No character will be like UMK3, Juggs. Dream on... lol
From what Tom told us, NW is VERY close to how he was in UMK3. Sub seems sorta close to a mix between USub and CSub, also.

Speaking of which, Sub's counter looks the same as it was in MKDC, frame data-wise, but the fact that it functions more like ice clone buffs the fuck out of it. I wonder if you get a free aa normal xx freeze, then aa normal xx puddle into combo. Would be sick if that's possible.

Top 5, though, IMO so far:

NW
Kung
Cyrax
Mileena
Reptile

NW has safe hatchet...nuff said. Kung is just a wonderball of ridiculousness...especially if spin's hitboxes are insane like Wonderwoman's spin. Cyrax's zoning will be amazing, as will Mileena's. Reptile's zoning game also looks pretty good...his jabs look pretty solid too, and his sweep is probably gonna be awesome as a counter for low FKs (these moves are retarded fast...pretty much the new low LK). What's funny is all 5 characters I listed also have meterless specials that launch, with Nightwolf's being probably the best because it's safe.

DrDogg

Noob
Are you kidding? It looks nowhere near 20 frames in that video. The first time I saw it, I didn't even realise the Sub had used a reversal, I thought Cyrax had randomly frozen himself. I'm sure the reversal will be pretty long, though (as long as his normal version, at least), but it will use up one bar of meter, so it won't be abusable.
How fast did it look to you? It certainly looked about 20 frames to me. 20 frames isn't very long for a move, but it's forever for an active counter window. Even if the normal counter doesn't freeze, if it's a 20 frame active window, it's abusable simply by the fact that you don't have need good timing to use it.

From what Tom told us, NW is VERY close to how he was in UMK3. Sub seems sorta close to a mix between USub and CSub, also.

Speaking of which, Sub's counter looks the same as it was in MKDC, frame data-wise, but the fact that it functions more like ice clone buffs the fuck out of it. I wonder if you get a free aa normal xx freeze, then aa normal xx puddle into combo. Would be sick if that's possible.

Top 5, though, IMO so far:

NW
Kung
Cyrax
Mileena
Reptile

NW has safe hatchet...nuff said. Kung is just a wonderball of ridiculousness...especially if spin's hitboxes are insane like Wonderwoman's spin. Cyrax's zoning will be amazing, as will Mileena's. Reptile's zoning game also looks pretty good...his jabs look pretty solid too, and his sweep is probably gonna be awesome as a counter for low FKs (these moves are retarded fast...pretty much the new low LK). What's funny is all 5 characters I listed also have meterless specials that launch, with Nightwolf's being probably the best because it's safe.
What were the active frames on Sub-Zero's counter in MKDC?

Also, how do you know Nightwolf's safe attacks? Am I missing frame data somewhere?

How fast did it look to you? It certainly looked about 20 frames to me. 20 frames isn't very long for a move, but it's forever for an active counter window. Even if the normal counter doesn't freeze, if it's a 20 frame active window, it's abusable simply by the fact that you don't have need good timing to use it.
Like I said, I didn't even see it the first time. From initiation to contact, I'd say it was around 3F, 5 at most. But yeah, like I said, it'll likely have a big active window, just like in MKDC. That's not really abusable, though, because it means it'll be more punishable, too. If he attempts it and you didn't attack, you'll have plenty of time to hit him with something non-reversable, or launch him in the recovery-frames.

REYTHEGREAT

Kratos. Shao Khan. Goro. Sheeva :)

But ok here is my real list. Judging from what i seen.
Kung Lao
Reptile
Scorp
Cyrax
Sub
Mileena

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
lol please NOO!!! I'm curious to see how Smoke plays out, you know they'll give him stinky cloud moves, but I still wonder if he'll get his spear since Scorp already has it. They said nobody will have the same moves this time so I'm wondering, maybe they give smoke a rope or perhaps a grappling hook instead of Scorp's spear? I think that would be pretty neat.
Ed also said they'll have all their original special moves, so Smoke'll have

Air Throw
Teleport Uppercut
Invisiblity
Chest Harpoon
And some moves from later games and maybe 1 or 2 new moves

DrDogg

Noob
Like I said, I didn't even see it the first time. From initiation to contact, I'd say it was around 3F, 5 at most. But yeah, like I said, it'll likely have a big active window, just like in MKDC. That's not really abusable, though, because it means it'll be more punishable, too. If he attempts it and you didn't attack, you'll have plenty of time to hit him with something non-reversable, or launch him in the recovery-frames.
Maybe we're speaking in two different languages. When I'm referring to frames, I mean the frames of animation... essentially the speed of the attack. A 5 frame attack would be twice the speed of a jab in Tekken 6. If what we saw in that video was 3-5 frames, you literally would not see Sub-Zero's hands move. I clearly saw his hands move, and stop... then the freeze occured. That's why I guessed ~20 frames.

In theory, a larger active window gives you more time to punish, but without knowing the speed of most attacks in the game, that's only theory. For all we know, the fastest uncounterable attack could be 15 frames. That only gives you 5 frames to react to the counter and still hit Sub-Zero (not counting recovery frames). Even if you bump that up to reacting in 10 frames, that's pretty fast. That's like ducking a jab in Tekken 6 on reaction. I don't know anyone who can react that quickly.

I would say you'd need at least ~15 frames for the top players to react to something. So if the fastest punishment is 15 frames (again, just a guess), the entire counter would need to be 30 frames (execution, active frames and recovery) for the best of the best to punish it... and they'd still probably miss it a few times.

Maybe we're speaking in two different languages. When I'm referring to frames, I mean the frames of animation... essentially the speed of the attack. A 5 frame attack would be twice the speed of a jab in Tekken 6. If what we saw in that video was 3-5 frames, you literally would not see Sub-Zero's hands move. I clearly saw his hands move, and stop... then the freeze occured. That's why I guessed ~20 frames.

In theory, a larger active window gives you more time to punish, but without knowing the speed of most attacks in the game, that's only theory. For all we know, the fastest uncounterable attack could be 15 frames. That only gives you 5 frames to react to the counter and still hit Sub-Zero (not counting recovery frames). Even if you bump that up to reacting in 10 frames, that's pretty fast. That's like ducking a jab in Tekken 6 on reaction. I don't know anyone who can react that quickly.

I would say you'd need at least ~15 frames for the top players to react to something. So if the fastest punishment is 15 frames (again, just a guess), the entire counter would need to be 30 frames (execution, active frames and recovery) for the best of the best to punish it... and they'd still probably miss it a few times.
You were talking about initiation frames? It seemed like you were talking about active frames... If Sub's counter is i20, that would be ridiculously poor, because you could only use it on anticipation. I imagine it'll be something like i5-i7, then have around 15-20 active frames, and maybe 10-20 recovery frames.

Check the video here (obviously we don't have hit analysis, but it's better than nothing):
Around 0:34 he first does it. Pretty sure he does it a few more times in the vid, too.

You can see the Scorpion pretty easily punish it with his teleport, too (though, obviously, Greg may just have not been blocking).

EDIT: He does it again straight after, and blocks pretty soon after the recovery. I guess it's one of those things you just have to time (obviously, lol), and eventually do on reflex (like ducking certain strings in Tekken).

SZSR

Noob
Ed also said they'll have all their original special moves, so Smoke'll have

Air Throw
Teleport Uppercut
Invisiblity
Chest Harpoon
And some moves from later games and maybe 1 or 2 new moves
He wouldn't have a chest harpoon because he won't be Cyborg nor the teleport uppercut but yeah, it's likely they'll give him air throw, and invisiblity while also giving him a spear and a teleport punch.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
I'm sure he'll be a Cyborg.

Ninja Smoke can have the chest harpoon if they design a costume that reflects both ninja and cyborg. Something in the same sense as that fan art.

THTB

What were the active frames on Sub-Zero's counter in MKDC?

Also, how do you know Nightwolf's safe attacks? Am I missing frame data somewhere?
About 20-23 I believe. There wasn't any frame data pulled for MKDC, so there's no way of exactly telling unless someone does it, but that's about how long the active frames were, maybe slightly longer.

As for NW's safe attacks, this is according to what Tom was informed.

@Mechacide, he was referring to the active frames, not the startup. Also, Sub's counter is 1f startup I believe.

THTB

I can imagine that being even bigger in MK9. Low kicks are ridiculously fast and likely will already be used a lot outside of just vs ice counter.

lows that link into specials > throws.

throws simply dont fit into the game other than to just have them there. whens the last time you seen a throw in mkdc? lol.

lows need to be greatly improved. every character needs em. scorp, superman, flash, darkseid only ones that had it the way it should be (somewhat).

a 2% low that does 1.25% on block. yup, id say its time for a change.

THTB

With how fast lows have been shown to be in MK9, I would never want them to be like that. At all. The game would instantly become who gets the most damage from lows.