What's new

Pool Assignments and Schedule for UFGT 8: Infinity

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Actually it was posted awhile back ago on srk news. The differences in ps3 and 360. 360 also has 1 less frame of lag.
So no matter the monitor when you input something on ps3 there will be 1 frame of lag every single time? Can I see this article?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I've said it before and I will say it again: you have no proof that the ps3 version is any less tournament viable than the 360. A quick poll will tell you that most likely 70% or more of our player base use a ps3 controller. Also converters can and have had issues, gameplay issues.
Dude, I play both versions on the EXACT same monitor and with the best converters available for the PS2 pad. If the PS3 version is not slower then I guess I am having paranoid delusions.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
So no matter the monitor when you input something on ps3 there will be 1 frame of lag every single time? Can I see this article?
yes ps3 has 1 frame of lag compared to 360... if you ever played on both systems like myslef you would notice it.. ill try looking for it.. it was posted a long time ago

it was posted here.. but since srk changed their forum layout and junk the link dont work anymore, but just read on
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ps3-360-sf4-system-lag-what-is-the-definitive-answer.99923/#post-4148248

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I've been told that Freddy ex spike doesn't lag at all on 360 but have not played on it enough myself to comment. m2dave do you notice a difference in it? I know that on PS3 if you ex ground spike at the same time as another special you almost always get hella slow down. It throws off my JIP timing after the groundspike, if 360 eliminates that I'm all for that being standard.

As for the controller issue, we all should be ready to play on both systems at any time. I bought a converter for UFGT 8 but honestly I should have bought it a year ago.

If you are using the etokki converter with ps2 pad, do not use the analog sticks in any way. Even slightly moving one will result in your character walking/jumping on his own and require you to unplug the controller and plug it back in.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Congrats. You are still complaining about of ton of stuff that is either solved (coverters), irrational (360 version hate, thinking everyone should just do what EVO does, even though EVO's system choice is purely based on the fact that they own PS3s), or based on self entitlement. As well as just plain making stuff up (WB sponsoring all road to evo events).

You are not doing your community a service behaving this way.

I thought Playstation sponsored EVO?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've said it before and I will say it again: you have no proof that the ps3 version is any less tournament viable than the 360. A quick poll will tell you that most likely 70% or more of our player base use a ps3 controller. Also converters can and have had issues, gameplay issues.
Xbox MK is definitely smoother, the coverter issue can work both ways.

OMG The more I read this thread the more disgusted I am with the MK community. I feel for Keits for taking the time and effort to hold the tournament.

Bitching about stream time: Yeah he has contracts, yeah they are for exclusive rights to stream the tournament so those people streaming can try to squeeze a couple of bucks for all of there time and effort for streaming. As someone that streams MK 2-3 times a month and has for the last 8-9 months I finally received my first donation of $5 last night (which thank you to whoever donated).

Bitching about the brackets: Yeah some pools are more stacked than others, and Keits already posted about possibly changing them around. At the same time if you want to win the tournament beat the person you have to fight. It's not fair you say, and I say LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

Bitching about the system: I know lots of people use the PS pads when they play. You see tons of them at every tournament. Could it possibly be that you see tons of them at every tournament because the tournament is being played on a PS? What a foreign concept it must be that lots of people attending the tournament might own a Xbox at home but are forced to use a PS pad because of the system the tournament is being played on a PS. I know this happens a lot because every tournament I go to there are lots of people complaining about the pads they are forced to use. Converters go both ways so why are we complaining again. Xbox dpad sucks, well for someone that uses a xbox dpad at home the PS pad sucks.

Bitching about the price: Yeah late registration is expensive and maybe at this event it seems to be even more expensive than most other tournaments, but it is what it is. You want to play you pay the man that makes it possible. Don't want to pre-register in case you can't make it, I totally understand that but then the convenience of not having to commit to plans ahead of time is the added price. You the consumer get added value and that costs money, around $25 bucks at UFGT.

Please people move on or at least provide some solutions to give to the TO, if they have not thought of them already. Here are a couple of mine:

Bitching about the stream time: Keits already mentioned that if Medina4life wants to stream next year he will make it so. He has already mentioned that if he can move things around he will to get more MK action in. Everyone say THANK YOU to Keits for listening to our concerns about getting more stream time whether we deserve it or not.

Bitching about the brackets: Here is something no one has mentioned that I saw at least. Use the NFG rankings to determine seeding. I know they are not perfect in any way but they are there and represent placings at Majors so for at least the people mentioned on the NFG list the brackets will not be top heavy in any 1 pool.

Bitching about the system: Deal with it. This is always a no win situation for lots of people so there is no point arguing about it. I have a couple of PS2 pads and converters that I can lend to Pig Of The Hut if he wants to get them and bring them to UFGT.

Bitching about the price: Seriously people allow the folks that put on these tournaments to squeeze every last dime they can out of them. I know gamers tend to be penny pinchers but if you want to see these grass roots majors continue let them make some money. I recall a tournament last year that lost a bunch of money and was not able to pay the winners of MK. We should not be complaining about cost if this sort of thing can even happen. Just because the price might be higher at one tournament than another doesn't justify complaints.

Keits

Direktor
Controller issues
I totally understand where you are coming from, as a 360 player who has been forced to play Ps3 versions of games since SF4 came out. And I still think this is super gross double standard. There are lagless converters. There are dual modded controllers, and Mad Catz MLG pads. There are options, and the announcement of MK on 360 was made a good 5-6 months ago, more than enough time to prepare.

But as you said, why prepare when you can just go to a nearby tournament that suits you? This is simultaneous a great point, and an extremely depressing one.

On to pre-regestering: this is a pain in the ass to be honest. Unless I know for sure that I can get my money back just in case I have to back out, I will never pre-register for an event. I understand the benefits of having everyone register a week before the tournament; but the fact that you will still take at-door people and still have to change brackets is confusing to me. Why push the issue then; and why increase the coast by so much?
I hate to phrase it this way, but the tournaments you are used to on the east coast are generally nothing like mine. My brackets are done days in advance. We actually start on time, to the minute, in every game all weekend as a result. Emergency registrants are simply dropped into available byes on the pre-made brackets with no regard for region or skill. Its effortless if you do it right, so why is it so expensive? Because I don't want you to do it.

I can run on time because I've de-inscentivised at the door registration, a mainstay feature of FGC events that must go away if large scale events wish to maintain a schedule. Running pools is completely pointless if they don't start on time, because all that effort of telling people where to be and when to be there is suddenly a mystery, and you can't hold players accountable anymore.

I believe AC1984 meant to say that all 3 upcoming evo events have the $1000 pot bonus. Who knows why or how the other events got the money; but everyone attending UFGT owes you thanks for that. Regardless, from a consumer point of view; why travel half way across the country when a tournament closer to us is going to offer the same prize?
There are literally dozens of reasons to be at UFGT over any other tournament in the world. I work very hard to make it that way. It just so happens that tournaments are not all we offer, not by a mile. If you don't know why UFGT stands out, simply ask anyone who showed up last year.

While some of the community may be ungrateful, we're getting spoiled at the moment...
Indeed you are. Some of you are acting worse than Smash players in 2008.

...with a lot of MK-only events such as Flawless Victory and then there's MLG. With all these great MK events, we actually have the ability to pick and chose which ones we want to go to now. Again, from a consumer point of view, I don't think there is any reason for the north east to travel over 15 hours to worry about converter issues/new controllers, pay double the price of other events or face pre-registering, have the same prize money as something much more local, and lack a small off-stream for pools due to contract issues. A professional tournament like UFGT is a business in a sense, so I hope you can look at this from that point of view rather than thinking I'm bashing or complaining about the tournament you hold. UFGT is a nice product, but just not for me (and what seems to be a large majority of MK players on travel restraints).
Perhaps this is because of most people narrow view of what a weekend long even is, compared to my view of what it should be. Unfortunately, you aren't coming, so you wont get to find out this year why prize money, pre-registering (actually making travel plans, oh my!), and lack of off-stream (show up, stream the event into your own eyeballs) aren't really very important things at all when compared to giving people the best FGC related party in the world. Everything I do is for them, the people that show up, so that they can have an incredible weekend. If you think that your ability to have an amazing weekend would be destroyed by making travel plans early or using a converter and playing on someone else's favorite system, I'm sad to hear that is the state of thought in the community.

You'll have to agree, though, as you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders, that having a dedicated stream is not an attraction to get people to come to the event. If anything, it just makes the choice to stay home and watch even easier.

Best of luck with UFGT; sorry that there has been so much backlash from the community.
Thanks for the well wishes. I wish you luck at ECT or whatever you've decided to attend. I'm also sorry there has been so much backlash from the MK community. I don't like feeling regret, and some of these people have made me feel just that.

And most insulting of all, is that a comment like this will probably get looked over by our community. Had I just called you an asshole for insulting my friend; I would probably get a quick response and a few likes from the TYM members.
So I've noticed. Another motif around here.

Back to work for me!

When people are testing for lag, 9 times out of 10 they are NOT testing shit on a CRT t.v. I know folks say Asus is the "be all end all" hd monitor, but it still doesn't come close to being 100% lagless...like a CRT t.v is.

Even Check has said many times, that the best way to play MK period is on a CRT t.v.

When you folks play MK away from tournaments that have ASUS monitors, you're probably on VIZIOs, Samsungs, Sonys, Dynex, Insignias, ViewSonics, or even your own Asus monitor, etc. etc.... probably playing at different MM speeds from 2 - 8 (anything more than 5 and NOT being in GAME MODE IS 100% NOT PLAYABALE)...swearing up and down that your set up is lag free.

Well I got news for you, if you're not playing on CRT...your shit lags (even the very faint lag is present).

I have owned every t.v I've mentioned earlier and bought them all earlier this year...trying to find that perfect lagless monitor. Thank GOD BestBuy has the best and stupidest return policy ever LOL. ^_^ I went from buying a $600 HD monitor I thought was lagless to receiving a free 32" CRT t.v....lag free (then spending the $600 on other stuff lolz).

My point?

Some of you are probably going to say: "But Webster Asus is lagless and been tested by everyone that matters" or "Well there' not really a huge difference between 2mm and 5mm" or "WTF does that have to do with 360 not having slow down and PS3 being ass"

It's simple. If the 360 is one frame difference (faster) compared to the PS3. The why the fuck does THAT MATTER? Especially when a lot of you folks are used to transitioning between T.Vs and claim you hardly can tell the difference.

Then someone like SwiftTomHanks stated that on 360 dessert stage lags, but hell doesn't. And on PS3 it's the opposite. And I'm surprised people haven't mentioned that MK was originally made on PS3 first...BEFORE ported over to 360 (even though they were released on both systems at the same time).

Like how many people have complained and said at tournaments, "Oh fuck I lost cause PS3 is trash and I went through slow down"? No one. You hear people bitch more about input bug and random advantage more than anyone has ever complained about PS3 being ass or there's slow down durning a match (and vice versa for 360).

I think it's all BS, and that coupled with possible laggy hd monitor u may be playing on...shitty converter = it's all in your head.

CRT or bust. If not STFU and play.

Keits

Direktor
Also, Keits do the terms of the event prevent streaming from a 4G card, or are they just for the internet usage?
No streaming at all allowed on the showfloor of gameplay other than by Focus Fire and Level Up. They are already splitting attention between eachother and we do now wish to divide that farther. Medina can use his 4G card to upload matches right as pools ends if he wants, he just cannot stream.

I've said it before and I will say it again: gameplay should come before the controller. No way should PS3 be tournament standard.
I like you.

Keits

Direktor
I thought Playstation sponsored EVO?
They sure did, once or twice. They are not a permanent sponsor year to year though. EVO bought PS3s for Tekken, and decided to run SF4 and subsequent games on it because they already owned them and it didnt require a huge reinvestment of funds to get 360s. Nearly every single game run smoother and has less input delay on 360, but most tournaments just use what they can get their hands on.

Emo whiners finding excuses for why they lose. Take the hit and move on, don't blame the system or the controller. I lost because my left nut is bigger than my right nut True STORY ! I lost cause i have two mommies Booohooooo !
Keits is doing a stand up job.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
xbox is the better console but ps controllers are better controllers... oh the dilemma

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
They sure did, once or twice. They are not a permanent sponsor year to year though. EVO bought PS3s for Tekken, and decided to run SF4 and subsequent games on it because they already owned them and it didnt require a huge reinvestment of funds to get 360s. Nearly every single game run smoother and has less input delay on 360, but most tournaments just use what they can get their hands on.

Oh, ok. I actually agree about 360's running games smoother. IMO it should be the tournament standard. That I agree with. Maybe after your tournament some of these players might change there minds. It would be for the best.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Keits, ignore the trolls in here. I let them really rile me up yesterday as well. Anyone with half a brain understands the simple and sound reasoning behind every decision you make regarding UFGT, and why, as a result, it's one of the only grassroots tournaments that isn't run like a complete clusterfuck.

I hope everyone in here (not sure if you listen to WakeupSRK or not) realizes that Keits is indeed a friend of MK. We should be happy that this game will be there to get exposure, and that so many top tier players will be competing.

Pro tip, the best way to grow a game is to want organizers to want to have it back each year. Even in some of the pettiest times in the Tekken community during the T4 dark ages, I don't recall such childishness. And we had Jinmaster!

Cannot wait for this weekend, Keits; work wins (fatality =\) this year, but I'll definitely be in attendance for UFGT9. Much like '09ers don't represent SRK as a whole, I hope you do not mistake the poor/entitled behavior of a few here to be representative of this community in general.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So really, in the end it doesn't matter in terms of system specs.

If anything ps3 had a better fps rate and less torn frames.

Thank you for the link!
I pre registered months in advance

I have adapters for both

Go to roof top dusk and in the corner w kenshi do 3 ex sc in a row for his unbreakable combo then do the same on xboX , let me know how thatgoes

Also do any xray at the same time on both systems - 2-3 second difference

Ps2 is the standard controller for most tourney go-erS and everyone who travels for tourneys have bought both converters

This whole "oh my god my character is jumpIng on his own" issue can be avoided and is a specific ps2 controller problem

It's the analog, they get stuck

To fix this prOblem permanently saw off the analog like some do

And yes last minute registration is annoying so if u can't pre register that's on u

In fact there's gonna be a lot of crying in 2 weeks when Evo announces it's full

Video game players in my experience , especially MK , have the worst problems w excus and procrastinations it's embarrassing

Also it drives me insane when someone posts comments about a tourney without first reading the info prOvided by in this case by Keits

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I pre registered months in advance

I have adapters for both

Go to roof top dusk and in the corner w kenshi do 3 ex sc in a row for his unbreakable combo then do the same on xboX , let me know how thatgoes

Also do any xray at the same time on both systems - 2-3 second difference

Ps2 is the standard controller for most tourney go-erS and everyone who travels for tourneys have bought both converters

This whole "oh my god my character is jumpIng on his own" issue can be avoided and is a specific ps2 controller problem

It's the analog, they get stuck

To fix this prOblem permanently saw off the analog like some do

And yes last minute registration is annoying so if u can't pre register that's on u

In fact there's gonna be a lot of crying in 2 weeks when Evo announces it's full

Video game players in my experience , especially MK , have the worst problems w excus and procrastinations it's embarrassing

Also it drives me insane when someone posts comments about a tourney without first reading the info prOvided by in this case by Keits
If I hear anyone complain about their character jumping and they are using a ps2 pad...please punch them for me. Good god it's just the shitty hardware. Move it and move on or get another controller. Don't pause the game and say SHIT IT IS MESSED UP. It's on you...the Dumb ass who doesn't know his controller or the game.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'm leaving the conversation with this:

The evidence that has been shown points to the systems being near identical (better fps rate for ps3, meaning it should have less input lag). Regardless, a lot of people seem to say they like how 360 feels better, okay. So then what you're saying is that due to your system preference that is backed by minimal to no actual evidence you would ask upward of 70% of the MK player base to saw the joysticks off of a ps2 controller and make sure they have a good converter for both systems?

I think the differences in system mean almost nothing. At the moment most tournaments use ps3 for MK, most players use a ps3 controller. Why shouldn't we want to make things easier and more appealing for everyone attending?

Keits : In terms of pre-registering, is there an option to get your money back from events if you have to bail out last minute? I didn't look into it for UFGT, but other websites that take the pre-regestrations have said that there are no refund options in the past. It's a lot to commit to months before an event for people who have a busy schedule you know? If there isn't this option I would suggest to look into it for the future. I for one would be pre-registering for all the events I would go to then; where as now I'm always a last minute entree.

I see how it makes a tournament run on schedule; something 90% of them do not. I respect any and all options that allow tournaments to run on time and in a professional manner. At the same time, similar to the system preference issues, I'm just looking out for a large majority of the customer base.

I'm leaving the conversation with this:

The evidence that has been shown points to the systems being near identical (better fps rate for ps3, meaning it should have less input lag). Regardless, a lot of people seem to say they like how 360 feels better, okay. So then what you're saying is that due to your system preference that is backed by minimal to no actual evidence you would ask upward of 70% of the MK player base to saw the joysticks off of a ps2 controller and make sure they have a good converter for both systems?

I think the differences in system mean almost nothing. At the moment most tournaments use ps3 for MK, most players use a ps3 controller. Why shouldn't we want to make things easier and more appealing for everyone attending?

Keits : In terms of pre-registering, is there an option to get your money back from events if you have to bail out last minute? I didn't look into it for UFGT, but other websites that take the pre-regestrations have said that there are no refund options in the past. It's a lot to commit to months before an event for people who have a busy schedule you know? If there isn't this option I would suggest to look into it for the future. I for one would be pre-registering for all the events I would go to then; where as now I'm always a last minute entree.

I see how it makes a tournament run on schedule; something 90% of them do not. I respect any and all options that allow tournaments to run on time and in a professional manner. At the same time, similar to the system preference issues, I'm just looking out for a large majority of the customer base.
I'm sure Keits will pop in and say this himself, but I doubt a full refund at the last minute is feasible, since preregistering is discounted BECAUSE it allows for a TO to plan his brackets ahead of time. Last minute refunds screw that up.

A partial refund is certainly feasible though IMO, and really, a full refund should be allowed up to a certain time before the event's preregistration window closes. But after that point, only a partial refund seems like it could work.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'm sure Keits will pop in and say this himself, but I doubt a full refund at the last minute is feasible, since preregistering is discounted BECAUSE it allows for a TO to plan his brackets ahead of time. Last minute refunds screw that up.

A partial refund is certainly feasible though IMO, and really, a full refund should be allowed up to a certain time before the event's preregistration window closes. But after that point, only a partial refund seems like it could work.
That's really reasonable. I'm not sure why I said "last minute", but like you said, a cancellation within reasonable time.