What's new

Pool Assignments and Schedule for UFGT 8: Infinity

Medina4life

Media Master
I think the differences in system mean almost nothing. At the moment most tournaments use ps3 for MK, most players use a ps3 controller. Why shouldn't we want to make things easier and more appealing for everyone attending?
EVO will be banning any wireless Ps3 pads. They did it last year as well. Although you could simply remove the battery pack from the ps3 pad and you have yourself a ps3 dual shock that is tourney legal.

Also, I'm not sure how much I buy the test ran at that one website. Those guys aren't hardcore fighting game players. I guarantee they didn't pull off a single 30 percent or more combo. How far did they really push the game? In circumstances like Pig said, those kind of tricky situations cause lag. We are high level players that push the consoles to their limits. Play a Sheeva mirror in Hell on Ps3. It's pretty messed up bro. I never play on Xbox, I use mine like once or twice a year. I don't even have Xbox gold. I have however, felt how much more responsive and smoother it is compared to ps3.

*** This is just a little story of my experience at UFGT 7. Before that event, I had never attended a fighting game tourney in my life. I was a competitive Call of Duty player (look at my YouTube videos prior to April of last year). I liked MK so decided to see what this whole tourney was about. In casuals I got bodied by 16 bit and Delriach's SinFuckingDel. I don't think I won a single round against anybody that entire weekend. But holy shit was the tournament awesome. The environment was really sweet, and they had a lot of side things going on to keep you occupied when your game isn't being played. There was a room with some goofy carnival style games which were a lot of fun. If you won a game against friends, you'd get raffle tickets for a really awesome raffle they were doing (I didn't win anything, that shit was rigged). Every single pool and match was ran on time. It was extremely organized and you had to be pretty handicapped to not understand where to go and what time. There was an MK character auction which was so hype (PL paid 25 bucks for KL and won with 2 4 low hat... I KID I KID, he did win though). A little after that I discovered GGA in July and beat Dizzy 3-0 in a tourney they had :-0 (the 40" Tv's that were used were totally not laggy at all) and became hooked to the scene. I thought all tournaments were going to be that way but I was sadly mistaken.... Then I went to MLG and that's a story for another day. Time for bed children

Slymind

Noob
Thanks for the well wishes. I wish you luck at ECT or whatever you've decided to attend. I'm also sorry there has been so much backlash from the MK community. I don't like feeling regret, and some of these people have made me feel just that.

Back to work for me!
The thing is, the community here is really passionate about it's game(as every community is), and sometimes people feel victimized about their game, thinking there is a big conspiracy from others people or communities, to hinder the game, which im sure there is not(at least in your tournament), it's just the heat of the moment, at the end of the day everyone is just trying to stand for the game they love. Don't let it get to you.

Stay cool

IKizzLE

BloodHound
If you are using the etokki converter with ps2 pad, do not use the analog sticks in any way. Even slightly moving one will result in your character walking/jumping on his own and require you to unplug the controller and plug it back in.
I can guarentee you that this will be the reason I lose in this tourny. This happens to me always when im playing single player and Im playing online.

Not looking forward to this AT ALL.
Thanks pig for the idea of sawing off the joysticks. Will be doing that ASAP.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm leaving the conversation with this:

The evidence that has been shown points to the systems being near identical (better fps rate for ps3, meaning it should have less input lag). Regardless, a lot of people seem to say they like how 360 feels better, okay. So then what you're saying is that due to your system preference that is backed by minimal to no actual evidence you would ask upward of 70% of the MK player base to saw the joysticks off of a ps2 controller and make sure they have a good converter for both systems?

I think the differences in system mean almost nothing. At the moment most tournaments use ps3 for MK, most players use a ps3 controller. Why shouldn't we want to make things easier and more appealing for everyone attending?

Keits : In terms of pre-registering, is there an option to get your money back from events if you have to bail out last minute? I didn't look into it for UFGT, but other websites that take the pre-regestrations have said that there are no refund options in the past. It's a lot to commit to months before an event for people who have a busy schedule you know? If there isn't this option I would suggest to look into it for the future. I for one would be pre-registering for all the events I would go to then; where as now I'm always a last minute entree.

I see how it makes a tournament run on schedule; something 90% of them do not. I respect any and all options that allow tournaments to run on time and in a professional manner. At the same time, similar to the system preference issues, I'm just looking out for a large majority of the customer base.

What controller are you using at evo?

When i have time after UFGT im going to record for you and other non believers evidence of dropped frames and lag on ps3 vs xbox

Pig Of The Hut

I can guarentee you that this will be the reason I lose in this tourny. This happens to me always when im playing single player and Im playing online.

Not looking forward to this AT ALL.
Thanks pig for the idea of sawing off the joysticks. Will be doing that ASAP.
its no joke at all, saw it off and problem solved

I however i cant cause i use the analog for all IAF

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
It's the analog, they get stuck

To fix this prOblem permanently saw off the analog like some do
THIS. Random screwed up jumps were always a problem for me, so I popped out the sticks and it hasn't given me an issue since, at least not for any reason other than me slipping on inputs. If you've got a dedicated PS2 pad for MK, like something you don't plan on using for anything but Kombat, I highly recommend getting rid of them. It makes working the d-pad soooooo much more comfortable when you don't have to worry about accidently nudging it and making a wrong move.

Also, Keits, you're the man. Any friend of Kombat, especially a T.O. trying their best to do right by us, is good peoples.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
What controller are you using at evo?

When i have time after UFGT im going to record for you and other non believers evidence of dropped frames and lag on ps3 vs xbox
I've removed the wireless battery from one of my duelshock 3 controllers making it a tournament league wired controller. I've been using it at every event since MLG.

I also use the joystick for iTU's so sawing them off wouldn't be the most optimal option.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Just poor porting on NRS' part. I can't really complain, I'm stuck with the ps3 version because that's what I have and I'm not buying a new console. The xray slowdown is a non issue. If you're getting hit by the xray, it playing in slow motion doesn't suddenly change the damage or make it hurt any less. However, when the game drops frames during actual kombat, that I take issue with. Most multiplats are made on xbox and ported to ps3 and their can be blemishes during that process. This SHOULD NOT happen with fighting games specifically. I don't care if some inanimate object in an FPS that doesn't affect my game experience is "shinier" on the 360 version. I'm going in this with no experience on the 360 version, but I'll try to find time to play on a lagless monitor tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone and I hope to meet/play with a lot of you when the time comes. We should be thankful that we can all come together, because as I said: without people showing up, where's the comp going to be?

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
IMO The issue is way to many tournaments in a small amount of time. It's unreasonable to expect people to travel to every single one. I had to choose between Canada and this one and i chose canada, one because I wanted to hang out with my friends from there and two because i had already planned it pre ufgt.

I can say that Toryuken was the best community major i have been to yet. It was ran on time, we registered at the door, there was plenty of space and we had a huge projector set up with like 100 seats. And they let us do an 8 v 8 on stream with everyone watching on that big setup. It didn't start until 3 pm and top 8 didn't start until 4 the next day. Also it was on a ps3 not xbox. Was GODLIKE!

Pig Of The Hut

I've removed the wireless battery from one of my duelshock 3 controllers making it a tournament league wired controller. I've been using it at every event since MLG.

I also use the joystick for iTU's so sawing them off wouldn't be the most optimal option.
I agree with you on one thing

I feel this is a major problem amongst ALL grassroot events

ALL ROAD TO EVO TOURNEYS NEED TO HAVE THE SAME F ING RULES AT EVERY GRASS ROOT TOURNEY THAT EVO PLANS TO USE

This includes

Wireless bans
Systems
FT2/ft3 rules
Stage /character bans
etc etc etc

I think MrWizard should implement this and require ALL road to evo events to abide by EVO rules and to be affiliated with Evo it must be so.

= Problem Solved

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling PL is pretty much done with MK and is concentrating on the coming DoA game. Ohio's success now rests on Master D., FOREVER KING, THTB, Michael Angelo, MKLegend, etc.

Good luck to everyone. This tournament should be very good. I can't wait to see CD Jr., Pig, REO, Dizzy, Osu, etc. etc. in action.
PL still comes on this site so isn't that proof he's still playing mk? I think he's just going to mlg and and evo.

Keits

Direktor
I'm leaving the conversation with this:

The evidence that has been shown points to the systems being near identical (better fps rate for ps3, meaning it should have less input lag)
FPS has nothing to do at all with input delay. I personally would not leave a conversation by saying something that is flat out wrong, but I respect your decision. :)

Also, having a higher average FPS doesn't even make a game smoother by default, if that frame rate dips at all. A game that runs at a lower frame rate but maintains it is going to appear and feel smoother than a game that achieves a higher frames most of the time but cannot always maintain it.

FYI, most believe that the extra input delay on Ps3 is caused by the way the system handles it controllers (its a hardware issue, not a software problem).

Keits : In terms of pre-registering, is there an option to get your money back from events if you have to bail out last minute? I didn't look into it for UFGT, but other websites that take the pre-regestrations have said that there are no refund options in the past. It's a lot to commit to months before an event for people who have a busy schedule you know? If there isn't this option I would suggest to look into it for the future. I for one would be pre-registering for all the events I would go to then; where as now I'm always a last minute entree.
FGC people are "last minute" people. This has to change. While we don't allow refunds for a variety of reasons at UFGT, we do allow you to transfer to your registration to someone else and let them buy it off of you. Many players have done that this and last year and been happy with the result.

I see how it makes a tournament run on schedule; something 90% of them do not.
99%

I respect any and all options that allow tournaments to run on time and in a professional manner. At the same time, similar to the system preference issues, I'm just looking out for a large majority of the customer base.
So am I :)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
D pad is shit, converters are shit.
they make other pads... huh.
this goes for everyone really.

I found a 3rd party xbox pad at fucking wal-mart that has basically the same dpad as a ps and is like 25% smaller in size. wired and all.

Controller is not a legit issue... its simply a crutch.

I agree with Pig though... regardless of what we think... EVO events should follow the rules they have in place for themselves. Not make stuff up as they go. I can tell you right now... UFGT will be the last "BIG" grass roots tourney before EVO. No way Northwest Majors and Midwest Major look anything like UFGT.
I expect maybe 20 people at both. Especially Midwest Major (Noon on a friday for pools).

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Man...I'm seeing a lot of first world problems in here.

I fully support UFGT. Just browsing the website, there is a TON of shit going on OUTSIDE of MK.

Do you really expect...in a game with a community as small as ours....by comparison to almost every other game...that conditions would be perfectly tailored for us? What kind if asinine shit is that?

It isn't practical or logical for Keits to special-tailor to our scene when our community couldn't even break the 48 man mark.

Also...I LIKE pre-registration. Why? It gives me time to save up to the event. It gives me time to get the event days and days spent traveling off from work. I can't speak for all the titty-babies 'round here, but my work tends to deny last-minute day off requests, but I digress.

They've talked about UFGT passively on KTP for months, it was announced as a Road to Evo major waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, so there really is no excuse why a person wanting to go couldn't...oh, I don't know...plan ahead, save, and go to any number of tournaments they want.

As far as the XBox/PS3 debate goes...

Either way, you're spending a day, more like three, that you probably would have spent working, playing video games and even possibily winning money that you would have never had a chance to win in just your day-to-day meanderings.

Keits: Is it too late to sign up for Mystery Game Tournament?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So really, in the end it doesn't matter in terms of system specs.

If anything ps3 had a better fps rate and less torn frames.

Thank you for the link!
The torn frames for xbox in that link are only for cutscenes. For gameplay, xbox has zero, while ps3 has a different amount in each.

I remember hearing even Justin Wong saying Xbox is smoother for all games.

Keits is right by saying last minute signups do wreck things. Powerup this year had a line around the corner for last minute signups. And they delayed every game in that tournament by a couple of hours at least.

Exactly. Why was someone saying it was made for ps3 and ported to Xbox? Wasn't it the other way around?
It is Xbox > PS3. They do this because Multi-Console games do not fully utilize Blu-Ray technology or hardware that the PS3 has.

That's why PS exclusive games are way better graphically than some Xbox games, because Devs can focus on the PS exclusive hardware.

MultiConsole games are ported. Hence why every game in Xbox has been better in minor ways but it adds up. Mass Effect, Skyrim/Oblivion, Call of Duty, GTA, etc.