What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've been putting a lot of thought into GA's pressure lately. It seems pretty complex and I haven't quite put it all together, but I'll share some of my thoughts in a couple days.

Anyone down to do a GA super reset thread? These resets are almost essential with us having little use for meter so we might as well have a thread for it. I'd start us off but I don't know if my setups are 100% flawless.
Already being discussed right here :)
http://testyourmight.com/threads/green-arrow-reset-discussion.30802/

7L

Heads up!
What do you all think are the best ways to use d1~special as Green Arrow?

-D1~savage blast is nice because it punishes counterpokes & mb b3/f3 attempts, plus it's really safe. They can jump out of it but you still can't be punished.
-D1~slide could be extremely important in the corner since it's one of the only ways you can convert into big damage (d1~slide, d1~freeze). It can't be counterpoked, jumped, or even armored I don't think. The only thing that seems to interrupt it is a super but nobody's going to throw out a super like that.
-D1~arrow seems pretty good but the main problem is that it can be counterpoked. Even d1~air arrow can be counterpoked before you get off the ground. I think this is going to be most useful when you do a max range d1 because it puts you outside most opponents' poke range, so the arrow will punish their counterpoke attempts. F2d13 & 223 on block set up this distance perfectly :)
do d1 savage blast at every chance you get toward the start of the match, then you can start to use d1 to arrow because they will have to respect the d1 in fear of eating damage and an ice arrow set up from ga.

7L

Heads up!
Also while I'm here I'm looking for the top stages and his best ways to go in/stay out.

Top stages? Pffffft it's more of a player 1 or player 2 thing. Player 1, pick jokers asy....walk back...PIG. p2, Abuse the watchtower's never ending god damn flying shit that any character can just jump and be like derrrrrpppp throw. So honestly, I'd counterpick with a stage that you get interactables that respawn or just maybe even Atlantis, if you build meter pretty well, just camp the corners...if they get too close, meter burn the wheel, pushed back along with free ice arrow in your quiver or fire arrows for damage.

Bus Orez

Noob
What in particular are you looking for first?
  • Combos
  • strengths
  • weaknesses
  • his best ways to get in or stay out
  • what is unsafe
  • what is a safe combo ender
  • best times to load arrows and when to load what
  • best and worst stages
  • matchups and his options against various cast
mainly the best ways in and out. but my problem is overall

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
How is everyone fairing online with GA?

I feel like his neutral game is really good online, but when it's time to punish his combo's just don't want to work. Hitting B3 after super feels like a one frame link and combos starting with 113 J2? Just forget those even exist.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.

I feel like his neutral game is really good online, but when it's time to punish his combo's just don't want to work. Hitting B3 after super feels like a one frame link and combos starting with 113 J2? Just forget those even exist.
Online use the electric arrows more is my advice...you'll need the extra stun for the frame drops.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom

Yeah, I feel that GA is one of the weaker online chars due to his rough timing on links after Jump attacks. Which is sad because I want to use my Arrow costume, lol. I have a hard time getting Batman off of me when they turn up the dial with his pressure and my punishes are usually hovering around 25% which isn't too hot. :|

shaowebb

I was using D1, but it didn't lead to anything else so it didn't solve anything. I have to blow meter on pushblocks and armored wakeups online. The latter is either great or terrible depending if they attack or block during it. Anyone know the frames on those?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Well I tried to use Green Arrow online for the first time since day 1, and I've gotta say I feel sorry for anybody that can't play offline with him. I officially won't be playing this game online lol, it might be worse than MK9 :/

shaowebb

I dont think he has any armored wakeups, just the standard b3/f3.
Thats what I'm doing. I'm spending meter on them for a hit of armor. It either works out and punishes them on something or I get ate after they block.

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
Well I tried to use Green Arrow online for the first time since day 1, and I've gotta say I feel sorry for anybody that can't play offline with him. I officially won't be playing this game online lol, it might be worse than MK9 :/
I have 9 less laggy matches than MK9 for every 1 more laggy match. I haven't played a GREAT online fighter but I think it's better in every way than MK9 online.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I have 9 less laggy matches than MK9 for every 1 more laggy match. I haven't played a GREAT online fighter but I think it's better in every way than MK9 online.
Yeahh maybe the server was just bad yesterday, but I played a guy only an hour away from me and the input delay was incredible. Dropped at least 90% of my stuff.

shaowebb

The only fighter I'd classify as having great online that I've played is Skullgirls...dat GGPO.

Injustice is still better than the matches I was getting in MVC3 and UMVC3 though. Lag spikes were rampant for me in WV. Injustice runs pretty solid compared to that experience.

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
The only fighter I'd classify as having great online that I've played is Skullgirls...dat GGPO.

Injustice is still better than the matches I was getting in MVC3 and UMVC3 though. Lag spikes were rampant for me in WV. Injustice runs pretty solid compared to that experience.
Darkstalkers netcode was amazing! maybe because there was only a few hundred people on it though? lol I don't know how stuff works.

I think Injustice online is really sneaky. you don't ever see the visible lag, but underneath it is just a chaos of missed inputs and even the wrong inputs being registered.

shaowebb

Darkstalkers netcode was amazing! maybe because there was only a few hundred people on it though? lol I don't know how stuff works.

I think Injustice online is really sneaky. you don't ever see the visible lag, but underneath it is just a chaos of missed inputs and even the wrong inputs being registered.
Yeah I've had it register the wrong inputs on me too. Turning release check off helped a lot though.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Alright, I'm having a HUGE problem punishing with Arrow. I just got beat badly by a Flash player doing the same mixup, D3 into overhead, and could do nothing about it, even though I knew it was coming. What's GA's best punish? And what's his best tool for escaping pressure?

Alright, I'm having a HUGE problem punishing with Arrow. I just got beat badly by a Flash player doing the same mixup, D3 into overhead, and could do nothing about it, even though I knew it was coming. What's GA's best punish? And what's his best tool for escaping pressure?
I usually punish with d1 then arrow if I have freeze loaded up. Or do b2,3, i like this string because the overhead is fast and it catches them by surprise it leaves you in plus that you can load up or apply pressure really well or if they get hit by the whole thing you can still cancel this into load arrow. I dont know d you know but if e activates his trait e cant block and if you block his attack do push block and it get rids of his trait regardless if he just activated it or id he is towards the end of it. Idk if this helps but :3

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Both his d, f + 1 and his d, b + 2 special moves have invincibility if done as a wake up attack
you sure about DB2 having invincibility, i've tested it and it really doesn't seem too, and thats with the compy waking up, DF1 100% has invincibility frames, they are gone once the bow starts spinning though.

you sure about DB2 having invincibility, i've tested it and it really doesn't seem too, and thats with the compy waking up, DF1 100% has invincibility frames, they are gone once the bow starts spinning though.
I believe it does but it doesnt give you the invul frames right away, I think you get it after a certain amount of frames. I usually just do this reversal if I am in midscreen. I could be wrong though I'm not a frame doctor

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
I believe it does but it doesnt give you the invul frames right away, I think you get it after a certain amount of frames. I usually just do this reversal if I am in midscreen. I could be wrong though I'm not a frame doctor
I can guarantee DB2 on wakeup has little to no invincibility on wakeup. The separation he makes is probably why he doesn't. Using Haven on wakeup is matchup to matchup... characters who can't reach quickly like nightwing seem to be pretty free to it, but doing it on a smart Raven is suicidal.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I can guarantee DB2 on wakeup has little to no invincibility on wakeup. The separation he makes is probably why he doesn't. Using Haven on wakeup is matchup to matchup... characters who can't reach quickly like nightwing seem to be pretty free to it, but doing it on a smart Raven is suicidal.
yah i gotta agree with you here, I tested it pretty well. it's just him moving away. I heard they said no projectice attacks would have any wake up invincibility. doesnt mean you can't use them as a wake up move, they just wont have any invincibility.

Mestizo3

Noob
Hmm the reason I thought it had invincibility was because when I made an AI Doomsday sweep, then bodysplash me I could always get out of it with db+2, even though he was right on top of me, also the brady guide states that it's his best wake up attack.