What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Nice. I'll be doing the same and trying this out in a bit too. Nice to know its frame data is wrong and it might be a good wakeup.

shaowebb

Okay I am fast becoming convinced that Green Arrow is meant to be a cornering in and out guy. All his midscreen stuff wants to push you away, he can load 3 fire arrows that all push you away and do great damage in the process, and his forward dash is far superior to his back dash and his easiest damage comes from the corner. I'm thinking I'm gonna try to load up fire at the start of the round and put up a wall and go for the corner as fast as possible on them. Once there I'm gonna load ice for damaging shit then try for crossups or pressure and if I can't get my shit started I'll back off and put up the wall again on them. I'll just make certain to end my pressure in safe stuff or into his jump back arrow stuff to safely get outta there and setup again.

UPDATE:
Okay I was right. Green Arrow's main goal should be to achieve the corner and fish for combo once there. Green Arrow puts up a great wall from midscreen to full and almost everything he does pushes folks away. Even if I struggle to get the combo once I get them in the corner all the damage I rack up from the fire arrows isreally adding up. Way better than trying to run with him because if he corners himself its rough getting folks off without blowing bar on pushblock.

7L

Heads up!
Okay I am fast becoming convinced that Green Arrow is meant to be a cornering in and out guy. All his midscreen stuff wants to push you away, he can load 3 fire arrows that all push you away and do great damage in the process, and his forward dash is far superior to his back dash and his easiest damage comes from the corner. I'm thinking I'm gonna try to load up fire at the start of the round and put up a wall and go for the corner as fast as possible on them. Once there I'm gonna load ice for damaging shit then try for crossups or pressure and if I can't get my shit started I'll back off and put up the wall again on them. I'll just make certain to end my pressure in safe stuff or into his jump back arrow stuff to safely get outta there and setup again.

UPDATE:
Okay I was right. Green Arrow's main goal should be to achieve the corner and fish for combo once there. Green Arrow puts up a great wall from midscreen to full and almost everything he does pushes folks away. Even if I struggle to get the combo once I get them in the corner all the damage I rack up from the fire arrows isreally adding up. Way better than trying to run with him because if he corners himself its rough getting folks off without blowing bar on pushblock.

He does have a good midscreen game too, since b13/b23 are +15 on block you can create pressure games midscreen, especially with 22 away shot. This creates mix ups for 223 and 22 and further going into b23/b13 to f2d13 for pressure. Also in the corner on certain maps, GA gets almost free level transitions...'Oh, you want to try to uppercut or d1?...Let me punish with d1 to ice arrow...anddddd b3. brb you're going up the side of wayne manor'. GA does thrive in the corner but he can do keep an opponent on their feet even at mid to full screen. He is a very versatile character.
The game is new, keep exploring!

shaowebb

He does have a good midscreen game too, since b13/b23 are +15 on block you can create pressure games midscreen, especially with 22 away shot. This creates mix ups for 223 and 22 and further going into b23/b13 to f2d13 for pressure. Also in the corner on certain maps, GA gets almost free level transitions...'Oh, you want to try to uppercut or d1?...Let me punish with d1 to ice arrow...anddddd b3. brb you're going up the side of wayne manor'. GA does thrive in the corner but he can do keep an opponent on their feet even at mid to full screen. He is a very versatile character.
The game is new, keep exploring!
I feel ya man. I dont like his wakeup yet so I'm not cool with fullscreen since folks are fast being trained how to think and move against fullscreen pressure and stay on that ass, but thats just my comfort level I guess. I'm happy knowing for now that my tactic of cornering and using his other trait arrows works really well for damage though. I'll lab my wakeup stuff this weekend when I got more time. For now its just small stuff between work and coding late night.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Gotta say, I like this character alot,

One thing I've been using alot that I haven't really seen mentioned is that when you shoot your arrows from a jump down diagonally towards your oppenent, it hits as an Overhead.

I find this very useful because people really seem to hit down to block alot, it can also be done fairly quickly.
and if they end up jumping you can always just let it go straight.

Is there a thread on the ways to use arrows and there usefulness?

Seapeople

This one's for you
What do you all think are the best ways to use d1~special as Green Arrow?

-D1~savage blast is nice because it punishes counterpokes & mb b3/f3 attempts, plus it's really safe. They can jump out of it but you still can't be punished.
-D1~slide could be extremely important in the corner since it's one of the only ways you can convert into big damage (d1~slide, d1~freeze). It can't be counterpoked, jumped, or even armored I don't think. The only thing that seems to interrupt it is a super but nobody's going to throw out a super like that.
-D1~arrow seems pretty good but the main problem is that it can be counterpoked. Even d1~air arrow can be counterpoked before you get off the ground. I think this is going to be most useful when you do a max range d1 because it puts you outside most opponents' poke range, so the arrow will punish their counterpoke attempts. F2d13 & 223 on block set up this distance perfectly :)

shaowebb

I'd say D1 savage blast. Its safest so why not use it.

Also just wanted to say if folks aren't going for corner with Arrow now you are giving up your best stuff. Hoooooooooly crap his high low game is insane. Light em up and queens gambit can string into each other and both are peppered with high low stuff. One of em starts with an overhead and you can end queens gambit with a slide or arrow for an option select to mind game them. Plus Light em up in addition to being a string with an overhead and a low is safe with an arrow followup. Dealers choice after that thing so far it seems to go into about anything you want.

Corner is his best mixup pressure and you can vary his attack pattern up enough that it'll be a bitch for them to guess whether to block low or high next. Even Iron Fist didn't impress me this much with his corner pressure given how many low options Green Arrow has. Heck if you end queens gambit with slide and it hits you get a juggle with sky alert on some folks off it and you can go into ice arrow off of light em up and be totally safe. Only thing to watch out for is their wakeup game in the corner. Luthor gives my Green Arrow problems with that corp charge and at midscreen if he has armor. I ran into a good Luthor and it was rough trying to force him into the corner and keep up with him. I probably was getting too greedy though and should have savage blasted back out instead of sliding so often.

Anyhow go for corner. Oh god go for corner. His high low mixups and damage output off his stuff there is so free.

Seapeople

This one's for you
D1~savage blast is the safest but also least rewarding. I think all three will come in handy at different times.
I completely agree though, the corner is where it all goes down :)

shaowebb

My vote for staying safe is largely brought on by Lex's corp charge packing it in me deep. My God that thing is scary...not only do you get hit, but you lose the corner because afterwards he will push your ass all the way to the other side of the arena. My precious precious corner...come baaaaaack...lex armor dont give a damn bout no arrows...;_;

Seapeople

This one's for you
Lol yeah Corp charge is like Reptile's elbow dash. I haven't played against him enough with Arrow, but Batman makes that match pretty free.

Bus Orez

Noob
hi, im trying top learn GE and im having a hard time in general with learning this game. GT on xbl is bus orez. Thanks for any assistance that can be given

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Has anyone tried dash canceling arrows up close after a string, into a throw or whatever? Is it viable or is it too slow?

I've been punished for it a few times but I think once or twice a match it could be useful and throw the opponent off.
3,3, Arrow, dash back looks decent if you want to back off.

shaowebb

hi, im trying top learn GE and im having a hard time in general with learning this game. GT on xbl is bus orez. Thanks for any assistance that can be given
What in particular are you looking for first?
  • Combos
  • strengths
  • weaknesses
  • his best ways to get in or stay out
  • what is unsafe
  • what is a safe combo ender
  • best times to load arrows and when to load what
  • best and worst stages
  • matchups and his options against various cast

TimTim

Don't Hate
Anyone down to do a GA super reset thread? These resets are almost essential with us having little use for meter so we might as well have a thread for it. I'd start us off but I don't know if my setups are 100% flawless.

TimTim

Don't Hate
What in particular are you looking for first?
  • Combos
  • strengths
  • weaknesses
  • his best ways to get in or stay out
  • what is unsafe
  • what is a safe combo ender
  • best times to load arrows and when to load what
  • best and worst stages
  • matchups and his options against various cast
Also while I'm here I'm looking for the top stages and his best ways to go in/stay out.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I'm trying to learn GA, switching from GL and NW to find my bearings because he seems very cool with the Super reset, but I'm finding that I have trouble keeping pressure on people and when they go full screen, my arrows usually lose the projectile wars. My current combo is J3,223,hurricane, but I seem to miss the 2 after J3 A LOT online and players just stand up and block me now since I don't know any low or standing overhead combos. Any tips and pointers besides learning some more combos? Applying the pressure with GA seems to be difficult coming from GL.

shaowebb

I'm trying to learn GA, switching from GL and NW to find my bearings because he seems very cool with the Super reset, but I'm finding that I have trouble keeping pressure on people and when they go full screen, my arrows usually lose the projectile wars. My current combo is J3,223,hurricane, but I seem to miss the 2 after J3 A LOT online and players just stand up and block me now since I don't know any low or standing overhead combos. Any tips and pointers besides learning some more combos? Applying the pressure with GA seems to be difficult coming from GL.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/green-arrows-pressure-options.30509/

Pressure thread should help you. Also light em up and Queens Gambit are strings that have both high and low attacks in them and they are great since you can mix in a ton of different stuff between light em up and Queens gambit mixup attempts. In the corner you can actually do slide after queens gambit for another low and it turns into a launcher that MB sky alert can push upwards to allow for more strings aftewards. Learn those two and your high low game will vastly improve as you experiment with what you can mix into each.