What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

I can't help but feel like Green Arrow is stronger at rushdown than zoning but zoning is an option for him like his combos rely on meter and which arrow is equipped but he puts in damage. I dont know, it looks like hes one of those characters who has options is what im saying

cyke_out

Noob
So here is a list of some of the different Alts, I'd like to see for Ollie.

What we have now

Primary

Alt

Arow Alt

What I want to see

Old -school Robin Hood hat, used in JLU cartoon

Smallville Look

New 52

Classic Longbow hunter

Since I doubt, he'll be made a character, how about Ollie's illegitimate son, Connor Hawke

We could also go for Red arrow, but it'd look silly on someone named Green Arrow, or throw him in a Speedy suit too.

cyke_out

Noob
I'm sure combo'ing into super and then out of it, into freeze arrow plus more combo would greatly incur the wrath of damage scaling to the point where spending all 4 bars of meter isn't worth it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Just figured I'd say this, but after looking over GA am I the only one who thinks he looks really slow on a lot of stuff? Yeah his arrows and backdash are speedy, but his walk, jump and normals look slow enough to be bested by a lot of stuff. Beginning to worry he may be a one trick pony considering his stuff like the slide aren't safe on block or whif to get him in. Zoning is good, but combo starters are something I need for any character and I'm wondering what I'm gonna use for one...maybe just an arrow?

God I can't wait to hit the lab on the 16th. I need to break down this character and then some.

cyke_out

Noob
It's very hard for me to get a good judge of his speed, most of the vids out are from players that are new to the game or new to holding a controller in their hands, the decent leaked vids floating around youtube are mainly just combo vids showing that he does have damage, but no clue on the speed and safety of his openers.

shaowebb

I know in the battle arena he looked like he got most started off of jump ins or AA punishes. I think his up triple arrow might be his up arrow meter burn though since I've seen him single shot upward as well as triple. Looked like if you used the triple after a wallbounce it'd get some legit hangtime on your opponent and let you do stuff. He shows it in his debut trailer vs Grundy. Its at about 49 seconds.

It might be fun to do some fun looking stage hazard combos just to make for some silly combos that bounce dudes around. Wallbounce, triple arrow, helicopter, wallbounce, etc. etc

Pinball vids would be entertaining.

cyke_out

Noob
He might not need alot of meter to do any damage. Since the standard combo pattern seems to be string, capture, bounce, string..whatever. He needs no meter for his capture unlike batman and lex, Freeze arrow can catch people and electric arrow looks like it slows down opponent falling speed, or at least increases hit stun to keep the pressure. Arrow can use this extra meter for super or clashing.

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
Just figured I'd say this, but after looking over GA am I the only one who thinks he looks really slow on a lot of stuff? Yeah his arrows and backdash are speedy, but his walk, jump and normals look slow enough to be bested by a lot of stuff. Beginning to worry he may be a one trick pony considering his stuff like the slide aren't safe on block or whif to get him in. Zoning is good, but combo starters are something I need for any character and I'm wondering what I'm gonna use for one...maybe just an arrow?

God I can't wait to hit the lab on the 16th. I need to break down this character and then some.
Green Saibot tbh

cyke_out

Noob
So which of you arrowheads have the game and are willing to share some insight and info for the poor deprived players, like me, who have to wait a few more days?

shaowebb

So which of you arrowheads have the game and are willing to share some insight and info for the poor deprived players, like me, who have to wait a few more days?
You do know theres a 6 hour archived stream Arturo put up himself right? Lots of play goes down including GA in that and quite frankly with NRS revealing stuff now its made the leakers and pirates mostly irrelevant in their vids since their tech aint as good as the pros who tested the game and their stream stuff.

Check em out.

I still get the feeling I will be seriously lacking in combo starters for GA outside of arrow starters. He looks punishable on his normals to me. Looks like an infuriating zoner though :D

cyke_out

Noob
I watched the entire archived stream, the only things about Arrow was a run down of his moves, not any good gameplay segments, unless I fell asleep and missed it. Still I have 2 days left, I guess I can wait.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I'll share my arrow stuff tomorrow. Only thing I don't like is the standard arrow should dish out 2% damage not 1%. But hey easy over head and low arrows is nice :p

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

cyke_out

Noob
wow, that is barely chip damage, I guess it forces us to switch to fire arrows for real damage with our zoning game.

shaowebb

I'll share my arrow stuff tomorrow. Only thing I don't like is the standard arrow should dish out 2% damage not 1%. But hey easy over head and low arrows is nice :p

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
wow, that is barely chip damage, I guess it forces us to switch to fire arrows for real damage with our zoning game.
I figured as much would have to happen for GA. I've dealt with stuff like Hawkeye and his chip and damage was ridiculous if he got his zoning on. This game looks strong for zoners since there is NO projectile canceling and that means the fastest zoner or whoever induces the most hitstun would win that war. Only solution would be to lower damage on the better zoning tools so they cant win for certain on that alone. I'd already planned for arrow changes after short strings or stage hazards anhow to setup for either Electric or Fire. I get the feeling the most effective combos may require longer hit stun from electric or the extra damage and utilize wall bounces and stage stuff for its resets over ice so I'd like to practice that some going in before I start going for reset combos off of ice arrow.

I could be wrong because reset combos are ALWAYS insane, but learning long stuff off the other arrows seems smart and since I get multiples of those arrows it means I can practice those combos with the gimmick arrow as a starter.

cyke_out

Noob
So at 3:40, Tom Brady shows a Green Arrow combo that shows how Arrow can load a freeze arrow mid combo, right before he does the super.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Not mid combo. If you notice, the damage resets. So you can get out of there.
The hitbox on that super + unblockable makes it pretty hard to avoid though! The set up shown in that video is far from meaty though, so a lot of characters should be able to avoid it you are right. I found that 1,1,3 (I think) xx ice arrow load -> super is a better set up if you want to load an ice arrow to get post super combo.

Also for those who has played a little sfxt, I play Alisa in that game, and I find myself using GA's d,b+2 as I would use alisa's fireball: It is safe on block and pushes him far away. I often just poke with d1 and cancel in to d,b+2 to gain some space.

cyke_out

Noob
So that super set-up is not guaranteed? I guess my first task when getting the game later tonight is finding something that does work.

I wonder what a good wake up attack for Ollie will be. I heard that projectiles don't have invunerablity as wake ups, so that just leaves his slide or bow spin which both look punishable. I think d/b+2, the jumping back fireball, might be good, since it puts him airborn, even though it's a projectile.

shaowebb

So that super set-up is not guaranteed? I guess my first task when getting the game later tonight is finding something that does work.

I wonder what a good wake up attack for Ollie will be. I heard that projectiles don't have invunerablity as wake ups, so that just leaves his slide or bow spin which both look punishable. I think d/b+2, the jumping back fireball, might be good, since it puts him airborn, even though it's a projectile.
My thoughts exactly. Slide and bow spin look punishable on block (especially slide) and I wouldn't wanna use them on wake up. Jumping shots sounds good, but if I'm near the corner I dont wanna risk cornering myself with them. Maybe just standing or crouching 1 will have good enough frames to wake up poke them with high priority if they are trying to camp on top of you? Midnight can't come soon enough.

cyke_out

Noob
I guess the best option is to just block, use back dashes to get away or back jumping fireball- whatever it's called.

shaowebb

GA seems straightforward from what I've seen so far on streams, but it doesn't look bad what he does. I'm cool with this.

EDIT: BTW I'm doing a speedpainting on GA. Its still loose and I'll be tugging things around and taking it into fine detail stuff later, but I just wanted to let you know I'll be doing art for this game across the board and dropping stuff in forums. Here's a small preview thats still rough and has a way to go.

shaowebb

that is bad-ass. good shit man.
Thanks. I'm new to speed painting style but in general it is layout large blobs of color with a soft brush and low flow/opacity in very rough outlines of your pose and slowly use contrasting whites to shave the highlights and details onto the objects. The longer you paint the smaller your brush gets and the more detailing your refine. It quickly produces a lot of great lighting and poses, but requires a lot of cleanup. Its fun though and as a warm up for the art I need to do for my indie game animations I'll be doing fanart for IGAU cast.

I'll post some streams or small vids teaching this sometime in the art section.