What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

cyke_out

Noob
Very nice man, I used to dabble with pencils only, haven't done much in a while. Might have to pick it back up again.

So I'm going to a gamestop tourny tonight, and I want to use Green Arrow instead of Lex who I have been using in the demo, would really like some BnB combo notations if anyone has them.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Very nice man, I used to dabble with pencils only, haven't done much in a while. Might have to pick it back up again.

So I'm going to a gamestop tourny tonight, and I want to use Green Arrow instead of Lex who I have been using in the demo, would really like some BnB combo notations if anyone has them.
I have a reset coming up very soon.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
OH SHIT!
I just saw Arturo on stream take on a Green Arrow as Deathstroke. He did Deathstrokes multihit projectile as GA's hyper was used. The unblockable hit and blew him into the air but the hyper DIDN"T come out as the shots from Deathstroke knocked Green Arrow out of the rest of the move!

O_O

Only the explosion is unblockable...if GA runs into anything on screen trying to go for the slide and shoot he doesn't finish the move. Someone with an early build test this because I can't remember if it was life hit on round 1 or not that caused this. I was too stunned and I dont remember.Oh God I hope it was round 1's last hit...

shaowebb

So far I'm liking GA. Did his back dash get nerfed since the CDjr vs Catwoman vid, though?

7L

Heads up!
Am I crazy or can you not cross over with any normal with GA?!
on a well placed jump you can cross up 1 but that's about it and it's quite hard to get. j3 is your best bet because it has a nice range and if need by you can combo 22 ice arrow out of it

shaowebb

Something interesting is GA's ability to stop in mid air to shoot downward. I'm finding I can use it like Ryu's air hadoken in MVC3 to get enough hangtime to avoid stuff. It meter burn version covers good range too so maybe thats the crossup we can use since it cover decent space. Still looking for good follow up options to it though.

BTW I checked and its true that if ANYTHING hits Green Arrow during his Super he doesn't finish it. He'll get the unblockable still and put them in the air, but he will not slide and do the cinematic for all the damage. This means its not good for a punish option as it won't really beat things and its first hit takes a moment to explode so likely Super vs Super move means you get beasted and blow 4 bars every time. However, it works great for combos and for wrecking people getting up and can be combo-ed from so its a good deal IMO as it add much needed damage to his combo potential.

cyke_out

Noob
I've been looking for a reason to use d/b+1 on the ground or air. I feel like he has better anti-airs in d/b+2, d2, and even d/f+1 covers alot of space in front and above. Plus jump arrow, or up angled works great too. I guess d/b+1 is useful when people try jumping over you to defend against close range cross overs, but I haven't ran into many situations like that. and meter burning increases the cone spread of d/b+1 but it doesn't worth it to burn meter.

Fallacy

Noob
I've been looking for a reason to use d/b+1 on the ground or air. I feel like he has better anti-airs in d/b+2, d2, and even d/f+1 covers alot of space in front and above. Plus jump arrow, or up angled works great too. I guess d/b+1 is useful when people try jumping over you to defend against close range cross overs, but I haven't ran into many situations like that. and meter burning increases the cone spread of d/b+1 but it doesn't worth it to burn meter.
Honestly i keep forgetting this move exists. Thanks for reminding me it could be useful every now and again. Been having trouble with anti airing and while this isnt a true answer it could help out a little.

On an unrelated note. Anybody not getting bodied by nightwing? If so how do you deal with his pressure?

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
Does db2 actually work consistently as an anti-air in your experience? I've done it a few times by accident and it's worked well, although I figured I just got lucky. I keep forgetting to try it in actual matches, but if it seems consistent I'll have to try and incorporate it a little more. I've been having a tough time with Ollie's anti-airs in general, so any tips would be appreciated.

Also, what have you guys been using to punish Deathstroke's sword flip online? Seems like f2d13 xx ice arrow is probably the optimal punish, but the timing is real rough online. I've been sticking to d1 xx whirlwind bow, but I feel like I can do better.

cyke_out

Noob
In random matches, I just use d/f+1 to punish most things, but if i'm playing the same guy over and over and have a good handle on the lag then I'll try tighter more damaging punishes.

And I like d/f+2 as an all-purpose anti-air, you can get more damage after a combo with d2 but some jumping normals blow that up.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
So I'm sure people already figured this out, but I just discovered it, and any info here helps...GA's forward throw sets up a pretty ambiguous crossup with his j3 depending on how you time it. On normal-sized characters (tried Harley, Joker, and Bats so far) it puts you in perfect range for a crossup j2 too.

cyke_out

Noob
j2? I've been having insane issues trying to find any cross ups that wasn't j3. Thanks, I'll try this set up out.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Green Arrow's f+2,d+13 string seems to be a core part of his game play. It is a low high string in it self, is a true blockstring, starts with a far reaching 10f move (f+2) and can be canceled in to interesting stuff on block and hit:
-On hit you can cancel to bf+3 for some space and time to set up an arrow load or an unblockable super, you can cancel in to an arrow load and go for a oki mixup or unblockable super with loaded arrow.
-On block you can load an arrow and be safe, you can cancel and shoot an arrow high or low (So tight that it is a true block string)

I found the string much easier to do consistent when I found that you can just hold down forward after the f+2, and press 13 in fast succession. Here is a vid showing off some of the stuff I mentioned:

Green Arrow's f+2,d+13 string seems to be a core part of his game play. It is a low high string in it self, is a true blockstring, starts with a far reaching 10f move (f+2) and can be canceled in to interesting stuff on block and hit:
-On hit you can cancel to bf+3 for some space and time to set up an arrow load or an unblockable super, you can cancel in to an arrow load and go for a oki mixup or unblockable super with loaded arrow.
-On block you can load an arrow and be safe, you can cancel and shoot an arrow high or low (So tight that it is a true block string)

I found the string much easier to do consistent when I found that you can just hold down forward after the f+2, and press 13 in fast succession. Here is a vid showing off some of the stuff I mentioned:

Doing the string into the super can be stopped by doing a wakeup attack.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Doing the string into the super can be stopped by doing a wakeup attack.
Some attacks yes, but the super beats most moves when used like in the vid

Edit: I found that canceling b+2,3 in to super on block makes for a perfect unblockable:p Don't know if you can reversal backdash out of it though. Damn that string is + a lot!

shaowebb

Just wanted to say that if you like to zone and play runaway vs some folks that Fire arrows are awesome. Irritated me some Grundy with them. The damage is really nice and it has good knockback. If I can't keep someone out further than midscreen though I think I'll go with electric instead so that I can zone a bit but as a good way to check em use the extra arrow stun to start combos off electric+ dashup. God I love this character. Its like each arrow type compliments a different play tactic. Freeze for combo resets, stun for in and out conversions with a dash and fire for keep away.

Also something to remember if you have any combos involving following up your super with ANYTHING since it can be combo-ed from. Those combos are only relevant if you use them on the first round or after someone blows their clash otherwise the moment you blow your super if they aren't dead and you try to convert they will Clash your shit ending the combo now that you are without meter and regain all the health they can since you can't win the Clash. Its actually pretty hilarious to witness a fail that big IMO.

EDIT: LOL! Killed a Wonder Woman with only arrows (mostly fire for damage and to keep him full screen off their blowback). I think I mind fucked him when I shot up at and angle on a jump in. God help him against Deathstroke.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Also something to remember if you have any combos involving following up your super with ANYTHING since it can be combo-ed from. Those combos are only relevant if you use them on the first round or after someone blows their clash otherwise the moment you blow your super if they aren't dead and you try to convert they will Clash your shit ending the combo now that you are without meter and regain all the health they can since you can't win the Clash. Its actually pretty hilarious to witness a fail that big IMO.
Also if they have less than half health you can super, b3, b3 for 44% unclashable.
I like that he doesn't seem too meter dependent. I think I'll mostly be spending meter on ex savage blast, pushblock, or saving up for clash/resets.

shaowebb

Any suggestions on a good wakeup? I tried db+2 but it got blown up in the corner.
Yeah I'm struggling to find a decent wakeup as well. I've mainly gotten by on D1 but thats not really good for anything other than its fast.