What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Yeah, I've seen this done before but am having difficulty with the timing despite jumping as soon as the recovery is over from the previous move.
Timing is strict I feel, have to hit the ji2 at the perfect time. Too late and they can block, too early and it whiffs.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The mixup is you either get 12% if the command grab hits, 5% if they read comman grab and you go with safe ender, or they read the safe ender and you get 0% and lose turn.

As for getting punished, if they read comman grab you lose 30-40% or you do finisher, they read and you lose your turn.

Pretty bad if you ask me
The safe ender never comes into play into the mixup because the mixup follows the third hit of F2121 or whatever that string is. It's just that you don't have to go for the mixup because the safe ender exists. The mixup is better with F212~Rhino Charge(11% on amp) and F212~cmd grab.(15% on amp.)

Like you said, both options are very punishable, but when those mixups kill, the risk is in your favor. It's not the greatest mixup ever but it's a 50/50 from a safe string that does considerable damage, enough to kill in many situations. If you try to make your gameplan around this 50/50 it's gonna suck but if you use it as an occasional mixup option then you'll probably think it's more useful.

Last edited:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
The safe ender never comes into play into the mixup because the mixup follows the third hit of F2121 or whatever that string is. It's just that you don't have to go for the mixup because the safe ender exists. The mixup is better with F212~Rhino Charge(11% on amp) and F212~cmd grab.(15% on amp.)

Like you said, both options are very punishable, but when those mixups kill, the risk is in your favor. It's not the greatest mixup ever but it's a 50/50 from a safe string that does considerable damage, enough to kill in many situations. If you try to make your gameplan around this 50/50 it's gonna suck but if you use it as an occasional mixup option then you'll probably think it's more useful.
I never said its useless. Just extremely weak in comparison to other character’s mixup tools

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
D3 on hit jailing into 111 is so good. And mixing it with D3 on hit into throw is really putting in work. Having trouble anti airing people. I’ve played against some Nightwolf’s and they have ZERO issue d2’ing my jump ins. Yet I get stuffed all the time. I keep forgetting to try his arrow and other aa’s, maybe I should just trip guard.

Having a hard time figuring out when to apply the Kiba buff. Outside of very specific setups that cost meter to amplify it to give it armor, there’s never much time to do it safely. Why does his buff take so long? Why can’t it be as quick as Scorpion’s burning spear buff??

Aside from that, how are y’all approaching neutral. Most of his advancing mid starting strings are super unsafe. His safe stuff is so stubby that it’s better to just d3 into 111/throw as I said. I feel you have to play footsies or rely on gimmicks since people don’t know the MU yet. Guess I just need more experience with him to figure him out more.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I might be crazy but The oki off of command grab isn’t good. They lay there so fucking long and if they delay wake up it’s even harder to know what to do. I tend to swing too early every time and get jabbed and the times I don’t, they get up and jab me. What are you guys doing after command grab?

Zviko

Noob
For all of you playing Ancestral, can you hit confirm 11 or is it a bit too fast? I haven't tried it yet. Since command grab works on block it might be useful.

Zviko

Noob
And another thing about command grab KB. Tell me if I understand this correctly about reversal punishes. Reversal punish is when you do a move while you are still in recovery from blocking and it's fast enough to punish them. Right? What is reversal then? Is that the same except it's not a punish because they can block but can't attack? Like jailing?

I tried his command grab on -10 move and it said reversal. That's why I'm asking because his grab is 12 frames so ot obviously can't punish but it is a reversal.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I might be crazy but The oki off of command grab isn’t good. They lay there so fucking long and if they delay wake up it’s even harder to know what to do. I tend to swing too early every time and get jabbed and the times I don’t, they get up and jab me. What are you guys doing after command grab?
U can do stuff like 31, alot of times they just block cause they think u gonna end the string so u have free pressure again, time ur d3 properly. do small hop into crossup, theres lots of stuff u can do

For the amped command grab, try to whiff a 11 and backdash. This way you fish for a wake-up and punish or force a block if they expect the 111 string. It works sometimes, although i dont amp it a lot though.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
And another thing about command grab KB. Tell me if I understand this correctly about reversal punishes. Reversal punish is when you do a move while you are still in recovery from blocking and it's fast enough to punish them. Right? What is reversal then? Is that the same except it's not a punish because they can block but can't attack? Like jailing?

I tried his command grab on -10 move and it said reversal. That's why I'm asking because his grab is 12 frames so ot obviously can't punish but it is a reversal.
In terms of fighting game concepts, a reversal is any attack you after blocking. In terms of MK11 mechanics, you get that buffer window after blocking to input special moves that will come out immediately, giving you the "Reversal" popup. You know how you special cancel string and you can input the special move early? It's the same idea. You input the special move during the buffer window and it comes out on the first frame that you can move. If that reversal special punishes the opponent because it's fast enough, you get "Reversal Punish". So Nightwolf can reversal punish some very minus moves(or after flawless blocking certain moves) and get that KB.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
For the amped command grab, try to whiff a 11 and backdash. This way you fish for a wake-up and punish or force a block if they expect the 111 string. It works sometimes, although i dont amp it a lot though.
I do something similar but I dash whiff d3 and cross up jk into comnd grab seems to work pretty well. I do need to lab various timings and hitboxes vs wake ups but I aint got the time for all that lol

Timedrop

Noob
I don't understand this characters neutral. 11 whiffs after blocking anything half the time, and his pokes feel slow af. Of course I'm sure I'm doing something horribly wrong but this has been consistent for me and I don't see a way out.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
With another newb question... I've only been around since MKX and have never played a grappler. Would someone be willing to give me a reader's digest version of how command grabs function and what their purpose is? I know it's a non-techable throw that you can combo into on block but that's about it. Am I missing anything? What's the general gameplan when you have one?

Many thanks in advance.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
For all of you playing Ancestral, can you hit confirm 11 or is it a bit too fast? I haven't tried it yet. Since command grab works on block it might be useful.
Well I don't play ancestral but I can indeed hitconfirm 11 into 111-axe or 112(on block) reliably enough. Its certainly a little less room to breath than some other hitconfirms though as I do botch it occasionally as well.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I just came here to say I'm baffled how many of yall are using the command grab variation, it's absolute trash.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
iT hAs No LaUnChEr It iS tRaSh
Nominally i'd agree with the sentiment, but yeah the command grab variation does seem kinda bad. Like say you do f2121 and after the third hit you get your shoulder/grab mixup right? Its a 50/50, except both your options are unsafe if they guess right, so you are also coinflipping yourself. On top of that, the enemy is gonna get a much larger damage payout if they correctly guess than you will.

So kinda poopy.