What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwing Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
So I was told that GLs b.1,3 2as a string you can interrupt. But when I tried I was getting blown up. I was attempting to in Escrima. I don't get to put in much practice thanks to my occupation. But I try sometimes.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Twas posted on the other thread but here ya go, Reauxbot...
Oh, you have to backdash :eek: I've been thinking you could hut him after you block the first hit.
Thanks for your time man. Usually when I'm in forums I'm on my Droid, so YouTube videos don't often show or is really slow.
Appreciated :)

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
Argh! I lost right before my first 20 game winstreak because I don't know how to fight against sinestro...profound sadness.

How on earth am I supposed to deal with his df1 MB? I was in staff fullscreen with a decent life lead and I didn't get a chance to switch to sticks and ground spark underneath. He got trait near the end, and then my health melted.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Well, I went to WNF for the first time since finals to try and rep some Dick for you guys, and some fun stuff happened.

Lost to Emperor Theo's Supes first round (he took 3rd, and is very solid), and ended up getting eliminated by P Board's Supes later (most patient player I've seen in this game). Any thoughts on this matchup? I would use a secondary character for it, but my secondary happens to be Supes for the occasional BA/Hawkgirl. I find that pressuring Supes is very easy once you score a knowdown, and he gets blown up by staff/flip kick stuff like everyone else. The problem with this matchup, is that Supes can just react to and shut down almost every option you have. Especially in the zoning game, which is not worth trying in this matchup imo. Wing dings aren't that useful because a solid Supes can neutral jump them, air dash forward, and get a full combo. I had that done on me twice before I decided it wasn't worth it. The matches were close, but it feels like NW has a really uphill battle all the way.

Oh, and just a fun fact for you guys, I've only ever lost in tournament to Supes and BA. Either way, I'm going to try and mess around with this matchup more so I feel more comfortable next week.

In tourny I've lost to Harley Quinn (I definitely need some matchup experience here) and oddly enough, Nightwing before I played him lol.

As for the superman matchup I stay in Escrima until I manage to get him cornered. There's a good write up on the front page. It's a hard matchup for me too.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
If Grundy couldn't duck MB staff spin this matchup wouldn't be so tough.
Yeah, I think the matchup is pretty even, but I would feel so much more comfortable if he couldn't duck it. It takes so much adjusting in my pressure game, and is hard to adapt to on the fly. At least you can control space well with staff normals, ground blast, and to some extent wing dings.

Oh, and I really wish it didn't whiff on any characters. I'd be really happy if NRS could fix mb staff spin.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
So, how best to full combo punish Scorpion's teleport punch?
Wait for him to land and pretty much every launcher you have will work.

Escrima
f2,1,3
b1,1
b2 (Easiest one to land)

Staff
1f1

What's also cool is that if you have a meter to spare, you can armor dash cancel through the punch, switch sides with Scorpion, and still punish. Seems like it could be really useful for Scorpions trying to get out of the corner.

I'm actually playing one right now and I can't punish it when he lands on the ground. I think you have to do it what he's a ball in the air.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
I just did it in practice mode a bit ago though...literally just mash b2 after you block it. B2 is i15, and the teleport is -20 on block. You're able to punish it.

And punishing it when he lands on the ground is just hard. Gotta practice to get the timing down.

Sent from the Batcave

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
I remember punishing his teleport punch with b2, but I did it before he finished landing, and I missed the 3 df2, it might have just been lag or mistiming on my part, though.

The scorpions I have fought were all random as hell online players, though, so I was a bit disoriented. Last time I remember doing f213 trait db 3, switching back to sticks, dashing forward for the crossup j2, though. If full confirms can't be done (don't know, can't play scorp in the lab to test), maybe setting up another combo with what punishes we can do would be wise.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I just had some sets with Perfect Legend. (using Scorption)

Nightwing does fine in the matchup. Stay in staff mode. Flying grayson is great in this match. D1 him until he respects it enough to get away with string shenanigans. Keep him close if you can, bait the flip kick wake up and punish it on whiff with 1~staff pound (meter) into full combo.

If he teleports. Dial in 1F1 It will literally hit him as he is hitting the ground allowing you to get a full combo punish. Keep a vigilant eye and you will do fine.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
I remember punishing his teleport punch with b2, but I did it before he finished landing, and I missed the 3 df2, it might have just been lag or mistiming on my part, though.
With b2 you don't have to wait, just hit him. For more damaging punishes, like f213 or Staff 1f1, wait until he lands.

As for missing the 3 df2, yeah that's just lag. I played online a little today with a friend and landing b2 3 df2 was like impossible.

Sent from the Batcave

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Any thoughts on this [Superman] matchup?
A friend of mine uses Superman frequently, and I've found some tricks that work against my friend:
- Get in his face as quickly as possible without jumping, wingdings, or flying grayson. All will get punished. Dash and block only.
- All flying laser blasts should be blocked high since he can meter burn it for an overhead.
- I've personally found that Escrima 113 works better than f213 up close, but maybe that's just my imagination.
- Zoning is not an option in this match. I personally don't think Staff Stance is either, but I may be wrong.

Mr_Greenz91

d1 d1 d1 d1 d1
A friend of mine uses Superman frequently, and I've found some tricks that work against my friend:
- Get in his face as quickly as possible without jumping, wingdings, or flying grayson. All will get punished. Dash and block only.
- All flying laser blasts should be blocked high since he can meter burn it for an overhead.
- I've personally found that Escrima 113 works better than f213 up close, but maybe that's just my imagination.
- Zoning is not an option in this match. I personally don't think Staff Stance is either, but I may be wrong.

Escrima 112 > Escrima 113

The block stun off of 112 is too much to ignore in this MU...gotta keep Superman blocking, like the OP says. I usually go 112 then f213xx4xxMB Staff Spin to keep him in check after he does his f23xxBreath string. As far as zoning goes, I don't think that's the way to go in this MU...but if you see an opportunity to score a knockdown off of MB Ground Spark/Pound, go for it and close in on him, always stay on his face no matter what.

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
I think the same is true for Doomsday armor. Or at least similar.

Haven't tested in labs, but I've certainly pissed off some guys online enough to think it works.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Joker or Bane are probably Nightwing's best matchups. I'll have to think about this one tbh, but I haven't fought against all of the cast yet so idk for sure yet.

Sent from the Batcave

Status
Not open for further replies.