What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwing Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Joker or Bane are probably Nightwing's best matchups. I'll have to think about this one tbh, but I haven't fought against all of the cast yet so idk for sure yet.

Sent from the Batcave
A solid Joker is definitely not one of NW's best match ups. Joker is slept on, but that character has some dirty setups, and a great jump 3. If you get a map with a wall kick in the center, you are probably about to get blown up also. Joker is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
A solid Joker is definitely not one of NW's best match ups. Joker is slept on, but that character has some dirty setups, and a great jump 3. If you get a map with a wall kick in the center, you are probably about to get blown up also. Joker is a lot better than people give him credit for.
I know he's a solid character, but I don't see anything in neutral game that he has on NW. Maybe better strings compared to Escrima (i.e. lows) but that's about it. Staff vs. Joker is pretty unfuckwithable.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I don't think I've even seen a high level Joker.

Someone point me in the right direction?
SoCal has a few solid Joker's, but I don't know if they have ever gotten past our army of BA/Superman players to show up on stream. If I come across any really solid Joker's online I'll try and run some sets with them. I played against a really solid Joker the other day, but I was too lazy to record at like 4am :(.

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
Hey guys. I main KF and am pretty new to fighters but completely suck ass against NW. They just wingding me down, and the good ones play the whole game in staff form and i cant fucking handle their zoning on top of the fact that the flying grayson hitbox literally hits me sometimes when im airdashing.

I cant slide because even though its safe on block, he blocks then I feel like I just get stuck getting assfucked by his staff. The pokes are nuts and i cant punish because by the time theres an opening (i dont even really know when that is) im too far away to punish with a d1 or anything with fast enough startup to not just get bodied.
Then when I try to jump in, yeah i get half a screen then get flying graysond to fucking oblivion. If i walk, he ground sparks and i get stuck blocking (or getting bodied if im too bad to block) if i dash, i get graysond eventually.
IDK this matchup seems incredibly hard.

If anyones got suggestions it'd be great but reason im posting here and not the KF MU thread is because i totally need some more practice.

If anyone is a good NW and is willing to help me out, id love to do some sets. I have XBL (preferred), GT: LDfiftyyy or PSN, a_kaplan

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
If anyones got suggestions it'd be great but reason im posting here and not the KF MU thread is because i totally need some more practice.
Best suggestion I have is to go into Training mode, set the opponent's Nightwing AI to "Record", and spam whatever you are having problems with. Try everything you can think of, then practice what seems to work. Do this for each of Nightwing's attacks.

I'll probably be on later tonight if you want to add me on PSN. We can just hit online training for an hour or two while I enjoy a beer and spamming Staff Stance pokes.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
You could always try playing Nightwing for a bit, maybe a week. I find that usually helps me understand matchups more, when I at least can puppet how a character is played.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Okay, Hawkgirl abusing the "Mace Charge" move. Is it even possible to combo punish this with Nightwing? I've tried a few things in practice mode, and so far "Flying Grayson" seems to work best, but that just seems like a bad idea to be in this stance.

SJ7

Noob
Hey guys im from Toronto and I'm new to the TYM forums.

Last week we had a tournament in Toronto and I placed 3rd. I got destroyed by a Superman and Aquaman player in both Winners and Losers finals =(.

Any tips Nightwing vs Superman and Aquaman?

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Hey guys im from Toronto and I'm new to the TYM forums.

Last week we had a tournament in Toronto and I placed 3rd. I got destroyed by a Superman and Aquaman player in both Winners and Losers finals =(.

Any tips Nightwing vs Superman and Aquaman?
Aquaman is actually pretty good for NW. Use b2 in Escrima all the time in this matchup, since it makes his trait useless. Aqua can't anti-air NW as free as other characters because wing dings are always a threat. He also has trouble dealing with staff zoning, and his jump is floaty enough to flying grayson whenever you see it. As long as you play smart then this matchup isn't so bad.

mush210

Noob
The superman MU sucks, but I think NDZ summed it up pretty well in his MU writeup. Stay on him, use escrima 113 to punish his strings, don't rely on staff too much (he will punish it), and try to keep him grounded with pressure. You have a lot of tools that beat his reversal options, other than his super, of course. When their rushdown isn't working as well as usual, most supes start to try to zone. Remain patient, duck the zaps, jump and block his air/mb lasers.

To my fellow NWs, don't be so quick to write off escrima!

SJ7

Noob
The superman MU sucks, but I think NDZ summed it up pretty well in his MU writeup. Stay on him, use escrima 113 to punish his strings, don't rely on staff too much (he will punish it), and try to keep him grounded with pressure. You have a lot of tools that beat his reversal options, other than his super, of course. When their rushdown isn't working as well as usual, most supes start to try to zone. Remain patient, duck the zaps, jump and block his air/mb lasers.

To my fellow NWs, don't be so quick to write off escrima!
Haha Actually I mostly use escrima more than staff unless I really need staff in the MU. I just like how escrima feels cause i'm a rushdown player =D.

But this is really helping me out thank you very much :D

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Dash forward to make it whiff and punish anywhere on the screen minimum 20 for a bar. It's not a problem for aquaman at all. Chongo this is effective no?

There are ways for Aquaman to get around Nightwing's zoning, but my point is that Aquaman can not beat Nightwing's zoning.

Aquaman can not punish, but he can force us to block From The Deep. Solution: Don't be so predictable. Fuck with your timing and spacing. Go from offensive to defensive and back to make it harder for your opponent to get a good read.

I play this matchup offline almost daily against a very high level Aquaman. It's 5-5 maybe even 6-4 for Nightwing.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
There are ways for Aquaman to get around Nightwing's zoning, but my point is that Aquaman can not beat Nightwing's zoning.

Aquaman can not punish, but he can force us to block From The Deep. Solution: Don't be so predictable. Fuck with your timing and spacing. Go from offensive to defensive and back to make it harder for your opponent to get a good read.

I play this matchup offline almost daily against a very high level Aquaman. It's 5-5 maybe even 6-4 for Nightwing.
Dude test it. Have aquaman dash forward to make staff slam whiff, it's an easy ground trident punish. I also have the matchup at 5 5 though.

NightwingDayZero

Dude test it. Have aquaman dash forward to make staff slam whiff, it's an easy ground trident punish. I also have the matchup at 5 5 though.
AM can not be hit or block the previous db2. He has to neutral jump one, and then dash forward to punish the next. In other words, he has to make the read.

I don't think it's enough to worry about. Be less predictable full screen? Meter burn every now and then? Force him to block to limit his options? Nightwing still wins full screen.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
AM can not be hit or block the previous db2. He has to neutral jump one, and then dash forward to punish the next. In other words, he has to make the read.

I don't think it's enough to worry about. Be less predictable full screen? Meter burn every now and then? Force him to block to limit his options? Nightwing still wins full screen.
Are you sure he can't block and then dash? I'm pretty sure he can but I may be mistaken.

AssassiN

Noob
Dashing is a possibility, people prefer jumping but dashing is also possible. I've seen people dash and then jump to counter the 2nd Ground Pound. The first Ground Pound will hit where the opponent was when you input it, the 2nd will track the opponent.

NightwingDayZero

Dashing is a possibility, people prefer jumping but dashing is also possible. I've seen people dash and then jump to counter the 2nd Ground Pound. The first Ground Pound will hit where the opponent was when you input it, the 2nd will track the opponent.

Ground pounds need to stop outside of full screen. Have to respect Aquaman's ji2 range. It's insane. Once he gets into that ji2 range, gameplan needs to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.