What's new

General/Other - Grandmaster New patch removes Some of SZ corner combo & trapping options

What I get from this entire post is that Cryomancer and Unbreakable actually dont exist in the game. The entire character with all 3 variations included, has its entire success based on 1 special move being altered slightly. In my opinion, the blocking and disappearing is a little far... its not like you cannot play the character anymore. This ridiculous "MAINING" concept in a game with all these characters and variations to boot, doesnt lend much credence to being successful in a Rock vs. Paper vs. Scissors universe. Its like some sort role playing game where people would be penalized for using another character that is a better matchup. There actually isnt anyone out there recording the fact that if you dont use Character X you must trade in the game to your local gamestop and retire in shame. Be honest with yourselves, alot of the shit people are pulling with ALL the characters is being watched. Most people know the dirty tricks going on might go away at some point. So in a world full of patches that appear overnight, and not waiting for you local arcade to install the newest ROM with said "Balance" fix, you cant get upset when the game evolves for whatever reason. They dont base decisions on crying or downplaying, adapt and overcome.

mkl

Poopbutt.
Because "you guys" were not punishing. That's not getting away with murder because he can, it's because "you guys" allowed it by refusing to punish him.
Yep, keep punishing f4 ice clone. Or just do f42 and make them do an armored launcher and punish them for it. Hella unsafe garbage character.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I understand and I am fine with the the new cool down. But having the ice clone vanish when you block an attack was overkill imo. So not only will it vanish on hit it vanish when you block an attack now.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Imo the only player using him right is cowboy and these nerfs don't do anything to him with his play style..
im going to edit this post and humbly hold this nerf. just like raiden and jin had too. But the clone on block is a bit far. so i have to spend the meter for the trap to save clone for later. I do wis i hadn't got spoiled with the clone. i guess that why cowboy has keep it basic in the corner with b12 slide all this time. Live and learn.

Last edited:
So don't voice your opinion on unjustified nerfs, and instead just play someone else?

Good logic
So don't cry like you're completely out of options on a nerf that doesn't really do shit to your character when you know the character further than "jail in corner, jump attack twice, jail in corner, jump attack twice." Derp.

What I get from this entire post is that Cryomancer and Unbreakable actually dont exist in the game. The entire character with all 3 variations included, has its entire success based on 1 special move being altered slightly.
The idea to include variations was stupid imo. All they had to do was recreate MK9, add some extra moves and improve the graphics, fighting tech for competitive matches. Everything else, except for the obvious of having to create a new story mode (which sucks btw), could've been left the same.

People don't have favourite "variations" they have favourite characters/fighters. MK9 >> MK10 in that respect. I'll still play it though, but I'm quickly getting bored.

coolwhip

Noob
Your first mistake is playing anything OTHER than Buzz Saw.

Dude you don't need low starters for KL. He's a fucking monster as is. Add me and we can play if you think he needs buffed
Buzz-saw is good but it's pretty overrated. Though not nearly as overrated as tempest was before the patch. Now, I think tempest could be his best variation actually. I'll maintain though, that while Buzz-saw doesn't need buffs (and certainly not a low starter, lol), it's pretty decent but nothing more.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Well. This thread escalated pretty quickly, huh? We got people blaming Sonic Fox and online players being blamed for Sub Zero's adjustment.

We got people telling other people to fuck off for having unpopular opinions.

Say, do you think it's possible that maybe these narratives are reaching a little?

Can we talk about the game WITHOUT launching into condescending, ."git gud scrub" attacks?

I really don't know if these nerfs will kill Grandmaster Sub as a variation. These players will have to adjust but i don't think we should go proclaiming the death of the character.

Serious question: What is wrong with Cryomancer and Unbreakable?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I always thought unbreakable would be useful against characters like Scorpion who can get around the clone and etc.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Very low damage might put people off. If you play Unbreakable SZ, providing no whiffs from both sides, you have to land your best combo several times, in between find gap to get aura on, sometimes sacrificing damage, whereas your opponent can deal near twice as much damage on strings that require less work. Plus some characters can port or jump over shield, making parry pretty hard to use. Not saying this is bad, by any means. It can be lots of fun, but not many will appreciate this tactical, slow-paced variation.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Very low damage might put people off. If you play Unbreakable SZ, providing no whiffs from both sides, you have to land your best combo several times, in between find gap to get aura on, sometimes sacrificing damage, whereas your opponent can deal near twice as much damage on strings that require less work. Plus some characters can port or jump over shield, making parry pretty hard to use. Not saying this is bad, by any means. It can be lots of fun, but not many will appreciate this tactical, slow-paced variation.
Isn't the idea in Unbreakable that you take less damage?

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
With normal aura you take no chip damage. You can EX aura to lessen unblocked demage, but then you don't want to take damage at all and by EXing aura you sort of expect to take a load. From what I've seen so far Unbreakable SZs tend to use normal aura just to be safe from chip and save bar for EX ball or EX slide. I have yet to see gameplay when EX aura or Ex parry are used more often. Now it's like with EX Ice clone - nobody seams to care to use it.

Anyway, I was just trying to answer the question why uber-defensive SZ variation is not that popular. Yet. Maybe it will change.